ADVERTISEMENT

A&M HOLLDING TEAMS TO 85 RUSHING YARDS A GAME

I just feel that we can run against them. Our OL seems to rise to the occasion and this is an occasion to rise up. GO CATS!!

To be fair, Bama tried to impose their will on us and that’s why it was 21-13 with 2 minutes to go in the first half. Outside of one reverse that went 57 yards they couldn’t run the ball, nor could Clemson. Bama went for 109 and 57 came on one play. They essentially had 52 yards on 27 carries. Less than 2 ypc. Elko will definitely make Wilson beat him through the air.

Aggie here and our run defense is legit. Bama got most of their yards on one play and it’s not because they weren’t trying to establish the run because they did try. Our pass defense has some issues though including not being able to get pressure on the QB at times.

It is true that Texas A&M held Alabama to their lowest rushing yards of the season (109 yards). Ole Miss gave up 115 yards). Alabama got most of its rushing yards on their chump teams (Louisville - 222 yards, Arkansas State - 278 yards, and Louisiana Lafayette - 268 yards: I love including Louisville in that list). So how much better is Texas A&M's rush defense compared to Ole Miss?

It is true that Texas A&M held Alabama to their lowest rushing yards of the season (109 yards). Ole Miss gave up 115 yards). Alabama got most of its rushing yards on their chump teams (Louisville - 222 yards, Arkansas State - 278 yards, and Louisiana Lafayette - 268 yards: I love including Louisville in that list). So how much better is Texas A&M's rush defense compared to Ole Miss?

Bama rushes for 210 yards on OM with a 5 yard average

To be fair, Bama tried to impose their will on us and that’s why it was 21-13 with 2 minutes to go in the first half. Outside of one reverse that went 57 yards they couldn’t run the ball, nor could Clemson. Bama went for 109 and 57 came on one play. They essentially had 52 yards on 27 carries. Less than 2 ypc. Elko will definitely make Wilson beat him through the air.
Bama doesn't have Snell or UK's OL.

Those numbers are misleading.

The top 2 backs for Bama (The Harris's) averaged 5.4 and 7.4 ypc vs you all.

I don't think Bama was trying to impose their will on you all on the groud. I mean, Mond had almost as many carries as all 3 of Bama's backs (18/21). Which also means all 3 of their backs rushed less than Benny Snell alone does per game.

What helped your all's numbers is Hurts and Tua combining for 3 yards on 7 carries and Bama's 3rd string RB getting only 11 yards on 6 carries.

Same with Clemson, their 2 RBs averaged 5.5 and 9 ypc vs you all. What helped your all's stats? Kelly Bryant's 15 carries for 54 yard

Arkansas's RB only saw the ball 10 times and averaged 4.7 ypc which isn't too shabby.

What helped the numbers? Their QB running 10 times for 1 yard.

Yes, you all have done great stopping the QB run, but have yet to see a QB as fast as Terry. Against the 3 P5 opponents, you all have seen an average of about 14-15 RB rushes per game. Benny Snell alone averages 23 rushes per game BY HIMSELF. not to mention Our backup Rose averaging about 7-8 per game. You all also yet to see a RB as good or strong as Benny, or even an Oline as good (yes better than Bama's).

I am not saying we win by rushing alone, but UK will go well over 85 rushing yards.

Alabama didont have to run it well they have the best passing attack in America imo.

I keep seeing how great their run defense is. Yeah, the numbers look good because teams throw for 280 yards a game against them so they aren’t trying to run a lot.

The question is, does Kentucky have the QB and WR's to follo?
Bama doesn't have Snell or UK's OL.

Snell and UK's oline is legit but you have to be somewhat objective here when you say "Bama doesn't have XXXX" when they have an oline full of draft picks and a stable of 5 star RB's that will also be playing on Sundays.

Reactions: sambowieshin
Why does Bama keep getting brought up anyway? The Bama team I have seen all year is a passing team. Bama's RB's rushed 18 times total between 3 RBs vs A&M. Benny averages 5 more rushes than that per game by himself...

Reactions: EliteBlue
Different styles are not always a good comparison, we are a power running team with strong backs that don’t stop on first contact. To my knowledge Alabama nor Clemson feature that type of running game. How that factors in I don’t know but to say we stopped two good teams doesn’t necessarily equate to if they couldn’t then you won’t.

Why does Bama keep getting brought up anyway? The Bama team I have seen all year is a passing team. Bama's RB's rushed 18 times total between 3 RBs vs A&M. Benny averages 5 more rushes than that per game by himself...
The Aggie front 7 is legit against the run. You can keep trying to look at stats and try to convince yourself and others that they aren’t but you’re wrong. Maybe UK will be able to find a lot of success on the ground but so far no one has.

Reactions: vikingfer
I do not think we will run wild on A&M, there will be a couple big runs. The key will be to stay ahead of the chains. Meaning no minus yards rushing or 1-2 yard gains. Crucial that we get 4 yards or so on 1st down. A lot more things you can do if it is 2 and 6, 3rd and 2 or 3. The 2nd and 8, 3rd and 8 type things we have to avoid. A&M will take it as a challenge to stop Benny, everybody knows his name now.

The Aggie front 7 is legit against the run. You can keep trying to look at stats and try to convince yourself and others that they aren’t but you’re wrong. Maybe UK will be able to find a lot of success on the ground but so far no one has.
Oh, I think they are legit. Their whole team is legit. Kentucky is legit also. Should be a great game.

As a Cats fan I doubted the legitimacy of their run defense till I went back and checked the box scores. I’m convinced. They are that good. I love that because I think this team needs that kind of test to continue to improve. So far, no one could take away the run game. I personally think we are very capable in the passing game, now we get a chance to prove it.

Bama was tossing it around all game w/Tua. I think looking at how they fared v Clemson might be a more apt barometer if we're gonna try to draw up conclusions.

I keep seeing all this chat about UK is going to have to do this or do that, blah blah blah. UK has been consistent with its offense and it’s defense all year. All they have to do is play their game they way they have been. ATM is inconsistent and are hanging their hats on moral victories.

Every team UK has played to this point has had “better talent” NFL front sevens and Pro Bowl recievers and the deadliest QBs on the SEC. yet UK is 5-0 with 2-3 star talent. Clearly there is a lot of overpaid coaches in this league then.

Snell and UK's oline is legit but you have to be somewhat objective here when you say "Bama doesn't have XXXX" when they have an oline full of draft picks and a stable of 5 star RB's that will also be playing on Sundays.

Fair point. And I agree. Our QB and WR/TE have to produce for us to win. Wilson doesn’t have to throw for 300 but I think 200 is a number we need to hit to win.

I have enjoyed your posts . . . hope my team dominates tomorrow ... but good luck to you and your team in the future!!!

Alabama rushed for the most yards against them so far this year and they went for 130. A&M has only allowed 5 rushing TDs all year. We’ve scored 16 rushing TDs to date and our defense has only allowed 3. Something’s gotta give.

I remember, in years past, where we used to argue, "At least the rushing defense is good" when we were giving up 400 yards passing a game. Teams didn't have to run the ball when they could throw to wide open receivers all day.

I just looked on ESPN and saw that UK is 42nd in pass defense and 36th in rush defense. Texas A&M is 113th in pass defense and 9th in rush defense. That made Kentucky 32nd and Texas A&M 63rd in Total Defense.

Now those are just numbers and they don't take into account the opponents. We also have to account for the strength of each team. It will be interesting to see if the 112th passing offense can pass on the 113th passing defense. Maybe that 1 step in ranking is enough. If we can't establish any sort of run threat, then our 112th rated pass offense looks a lot worse. Will we work to throw more right off the bat so that we can spread the defense out to make the run more successful? That is so un-Stoops-like. I sure hope we can run a few times early.

True they have 5 star running backs. But 3 Star Benny snell is still the best runningback in the country.

Those numbers are misleading.

The top 2 backs for Bama (The Harris's) averaged 5.4 and 7.4 ypc vs you all.

I don't think Bama was trying to impose their will on you all on the groud. I mean, Mond had almost as many carries as all 3 of Bama's backs (18/21). Which also means all 3 of their backs rushed less than Benny Snell alone does per game.

What helped your all's numbers is Hurts and Tua combining for 3 yards on 7 carries and Bama's 3rd string RB getting only 11 yards on 6 carries.

Same with Clemson, their 2 RBs averaged 5.5 and 9 ypc vs you all. What helped your all's stats? Kelly Bryant's 15 carries for 54 yard

Arkansas's RB only saw the ball 10 times and averaged 4.7 ypc which isn't too shabby.

What helped the numbers? Their QB running 10 times for 1 yard.

Yes, you all have done great stopping the QB run, but have yet to see a QB as fast as Terry. Against the 3 P5 opponents, you all have seen an average of about 14-15 RB rushes per game. Benny Snell alone averages 23 rushes per game BY HIMSELF. not to mention Our backup Rose averaging about 7-8 per game. You all also yet to see a RB as good or strong as Benny, or even an Oline as good (yes better than Bama's).

I am not saying we win by rushing alone, but UK will go well over 85 rushing yards.

I think this qualifies as the *drop the mic* post

Our QB Wilson has played very much as asked of him I say he will be called on to do more early today and he gets the job done..
UK 35 A&M 25
GO CATS

To be fair, Bama tried to impose their will on us and that’s why it was 21-13 with 2 minutes to go in the first half. Outside of one reverse that went 57 yards they couldn’t run the ball, nor could Clemson. Bama went for 109 and 57 came on one play. They essentially had 52 yards on 27 carries. Less than 2 ypc. Elko will definitely make Wilson beat him through the air.]
Forcing UK to beat you through the air...
Oh, it's been tried.

watch

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT