ADVERTISEMENT

A different negative take on Tubby’s teams that Tubby holdouts should at least note

Which 1 and done would you have turned down? In retrospect it is easy to look back and see which didn't work out. Sometimes it takes them a couple or 3 years and NBA drafts on potential, sucks for us
I wouldn't have turned any one and done down...just like I wouldn't turn any down that are coming back because they weren't drafted. Maybe I just am not understanding the point you are trying to make in relation to my previous post.

Reactions: JC CATS
You’re looking too deep at those losses.

Again, look at the teams that are winning titles, do you see the differences between those teams and UK?

Also, look at the teams UK has lost to in the tournament, in all but 2 of our losses, we lost to an underdog.

Yeah, there were some good moments where true talents showed up and made big shots, but the bottom line is, our teams keep choking, whether it's from the free throw line, the defense, or a bad shooting night, we choked.

I see a big difference between UK and the teams that are solid each season.

Question, what are you guys going to say when this team ends up with 10+ losses and a sweet 16 exit? What then? At what point is everyone going to realize that this isn’t going to work, no matter what coaches and ace recruiters Cal brings in. You simply aren't going to win a title in this team sport while running a culture that promotes individual goals and accomplishments. Not gonna happen.
I actually wasn't looking deep at all. Basically all of the losses, which I said earlier, have the same thing in common. Missed free throws, poor three point shooting, and Cal's horrendous in game coaching. You don't need to look any deeper than that.

That has nothing to do with the culture around the UK basketball program.

On the contrary, looking at or blaming the basketball program's culture for the lack of production in March inherently requires a deeper look.

Most overrated coach in Div-1 history.

If not for UK hiring him, nobody would know his name and he wouldve never even sniffed a final four.

He's good? How many schools wanted him gone post UK? He couldn't even win at High Point where the talent is equal. Only reason they didnt fire him is he donated millions to the school.

His kindness covers up how chitty of a coach he was/is. He's the only coach who could get fired from 30 schools and some of you guys will find a stat that he's amazing. He gets a free pass.
Call him when you take 5 teams to the Big Dance.

Also, other coaches (i.e. his peers) speak extremely highly of him as do his past players and their families. I'll take their word over someone with an agenda (i.e. you) any day.

He inherited a team who just had back to back title game appearances with 6 NBA players. SIX, which was unheard of back then.
This garbage that Tubby won a title is hilarious..

I'm sorry....who the eff was coach during that 97-98 season?
What was he supposed to do? Toss all Rick's players off the team? I can only imagine the pitchforks and torches that would've come out.

So who won that title if Tubby didn't? Rick was getting his rocks off in Boston. Donovan was at Florida. So who coached?

Vast majority of top teams have multiple NBA talent these, but in 1998 it was unheard of. Read that again.
And why is Cal part of this conversation? Todays game is nowhere close to where it was 25 years ago. If you want to talk Cal in comparison, Cal smoked Tubby while he was at Memphis and Cal was building that program from the ground. Tubby had a huge head start and still was garbage.
Wow, you guys will go to any stretch of the imagination to defend Cal.

Not a fan or Tubby or Pitino? Why are you a UK fan?
I said that wrong. I loved watching the Pitino years; really enjoyed his teams and his play style. What I intended to say was that I didn’t/don’t like his personality off the court. Cal has his gaps in personality too, but whatever the reason behind it, whether it’s for his own benefit of its genuine concern, he does do a lot of kind things for the world around him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT