ADVERTISEMENT

A crazy thing to ponder

TeleTubby

Blue Chip Prospect
Feb 5, 2003
Yes or no, will we see a woman play for a men's team in the next 10 years? Before you completely reject the idea, consider how good some of these girls are now at shooting. Why not have a 90 percent foul shooter on your bench? Hell some of them can dunk now.

All it will take is for a girl who wants to play with the guys and a coach willing to let her.

Yes or no, will we see a woman play for a men's team in the next 10 years? Before you completely reject the idea, consider how good some of these girls are now at shooting. Why not have a 90 percent foul shooter on your bench? Hell some of them can dunk now.

All it will take is for a girl who wants to play with the guys and a coach willing to let her.
Nada. At least not a top 25 team.

I'm about as liberal as you'll find on this board, but I can't see that happening. The men are just so much bigger and stronger than the women I don't see how they'd compete. And, they have their version of the sport (unlike football) so there isn't a great motivation to have a token player on the bench.

Reactions: kl40504
I'll tell you something about sports...competitive nature drives everyone. There's politics that will hold certain players down, but if you're a good enough player you will play.

There isn't some conspiracy holding women back from playing a man's game. I can't name 1 NBA player who would even make the roster at Kentucky. Would a WNBA team even make the KHSAA Sweet 16? I know some bad districts where they could win a game or even a title....but that's the difference.

I mean imagine Dom Hawkins....can't even get an NBA look and couldn't start for us for 4 years....imagine if he played in the WNBA...who could guard him?

Ok, it's official. The quarantine has destroyed our country.

First of all, there is not woman playing today or in 10 years from now that would even come close to being good enough. All you woke folks can bash me all you want.

Take the Sierra Canyon high school team that Boston plays on and let them play the best WNBA team there is, I mean really play. The WNBA tam wouldn't be able to stay within 40 points if lucky. Shoot, you could get WNBA All-star team if you want.

They would never be able to get a rebound unless it hit the rim so hard it bounced out to half court and hit one of them in the hands.

Not seeing how they would ever get a shot off. I would love to see it happen though it would shut up this fantasy that women can do whatever men can.

In everything but sports and athletic contests. Women can compete with men and accomplish as much or more. Not in athletic sports. Not today. Not a 100 years from today. They just can't.

They would never be able to get a rebound unless it hit the rim so hard it bounced out to half court and hit one of them in the hands.

Not seeing how they would ever get a shot off. I would love to see it happen though it would shut up this fantasy that women can do whatever men can.

In everything but sports and athletic contests. women can compete with men and accomplish as much or more. Not in athletic sports. Not today. Not a 100 years from today. They just can't.
Could the WNBA All-Star team win the 7th Region Basketball Tournament?

There's a tiny, tiny fraction of this question that is worth considering, which is - can a super sharpshooter woman with a fast release find use on a very low level college team?

That's not impossible. It's still not tremendously likely, because even the worst mens cbb players will close in on her quicker than she's used to, and regardless, she'll be zero help on defense.

But then you went and mentioned that some can dunk now, which is just a whole different can of worms.

First of all, leave aside how difficult it is for them to dunk even against WNBA competition.

The idea that any female could get free on a fast break or in the lane in a half court situation and actually attack the basket without having her ish swatted into the next dimension... is just nutty.

An actual drive to the basket would be dead-exact-center of all the things that guys do vastly better than women. Driving for a dunk (or even just a layup) involves speed, strength, leaping ability...

Let's be abundantly clear: Any woman playing 5 on 5 basketball with any male CBBers will go 0% from 10 feet and in, nearly every single game.

Ok, it's official. The quarantine has destroyed our country.

First of all, there is not woman playing today or in 10 years from now that would even come close to being good enough. All you woke folks can bash me all you want.

Take the Sierra Canyon high school team that Boston plays on and let them play the best WNBA team there is, I mean really play. The WNBA tam wouldn't be able to stay within 40 points if lucky. Shoot, you could get WNBA All-star team if you want.

I am the opposite of woke. I have seen women become kickers in lower level football competition. Let's face it, there are aspects of basketball where girls CAN compete with guys. Namely, shooting.

I prefer men and women have their own leagues, but that's not the society we live in now, and it's definitely not the society we'll be living in down the road.

200.gif

There's a tiny, tiny fraction of this question that is worth considering, which is - can a super sharpshooter woman with a fast release find use on a very low level college team?

That's not impossible. It's still not tremendously likely, because even the worst mens cbb players will close in on her quicker than she's used to, and regardless, she'll be zero help on defense.

But then you went and mentioned that some can dunk now, which is just a whole different can of worms.

First of all, leave aside how difficult it is for them to dunk even against WNBA competition.

The idea that any female could get free on a fast break or in the lane in a half court situation and actually attack the basket without having her ish swatted into the next dimension... is just nutty.

An actual drive to the basket would be dead-exact-center of all the things that guys do vastly better than women. Driving for a dunk (or even just a layup) involves speed, strength, leaping ability...

Let's be abundantly clear: Any woman playing 5 on 5 basketball with any male CBBers will go 0% from 10 feet and in, nearly every single game.

I agree with all of that. I just said that they can dunk to point out that they aren't all like Ollie in Hoosiers any more.

It is possible. Some small school wanting to make a name for itself along with a super super star female player. Small guards with handles and quick release can beat the most athletic players with fundamentals and discipline as Webb, Downey or Ulis showed us. So why not?

I am the opposite of woke. I have seen women become kickers in lower level football competition. Let's face it, there are aspects of basketball where girls CAN compete with guys. Namely, shooting.

I prefer men and women have their own leagues, but that's not the society we live in now, and it's definitely not the society we'll be living in down the road.
So you think a woman could get her shot off in actual game against men? You think she would be able to get separation and get a shot off with a team palying man to man defense? Unless there are a bunch of men who are going to start going the thransgender route, it's ludicrous.
Watch a WNBA game and then watch a high school game with just average to above average talent playing. It doesn't even look like they are playing the same game.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
It is possible. Some small school wanting to make a name for itself along with a super super star female player. Small guards with handles and quick release can beat the most athletic players with fundamentals and discipline as Webb, Downey or Ulis showed us. So why not?

versus

So you think a woman could get her shot off in actual game against men? You think she would be able to get separation and get a shot off with a team palying man to man defense? Unless there are a bunch of men who are going to start going the thransgender route, it's ludicrous.
Watch a WNBA game and then watch a high school game with just average to above average talent playing. It doesn't even look like they are playing the same game.
I’m actually curious when a 6’7” man with great athleticism will identify as a woman and demand to be allowed to play women’s basketball. Not gonna lie, that’d be fun to watch :D

Reactions: Cawood86

Even though some women might be good shooters, I still don't think it happens because there is more to game than shooting. My youngest son, who is 5'11" and fairly athletic, was one of the best three point shooters in the state when he played high school ball. He hit 104 out of 208 attempts his senior year. He got several offers from NAIA and division III programs. He did manage to get a preferred walk-on offer from one division one program. He had a very quick release and was way more athletic than a female would be. I would think if pure shooters, with limited size, were of great value to division I programs, they would take kids like my son over a woman pretty much any day. So if the value of pure shooters changes to where division I programs are willing to take an undersized athlete, I would expect there are plenty of men who could fill that role before they would be desperate enough to take a woman.

There isn't a girl playing the sport fast enough to play defense, quick enough with the ball, and able to consistently get open to get an open look. If we were talking about a game of horse, there are plenty of girls who could compete.

Nope.

Sorry, nothing personal, but even the best female basketball player wouldn't be able to make a men's D1 team.

And if the day comes that we have to handcuff this sport so a woman can have a feel good story about playing with Men.. then that'd the day I'll probably stop watching. Not out of rage or misogyny... but because the product will be so absolutely broken that it's no longer worth taking seriously.

There isn't a girl playing the sport fast enough to play defense, quick enough with the ball, and able to consistently get open to get an open look. If we were talking about a game of horse, there are plenty of girls who could compete.

At a family reunion of sorts last summer.. my cousins Icelandic wife beat me in HORSE and it was one of the most humiliating things. She's not athletic at all, didn't even know the rules. I just couldn't make a shot. And it absolutely got in my head. It was a real hoot for everyone else, though.[laughing]

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Even though some women might be good shooters, I still don't think it happens because there is more to game than shooting. My youngest son, who is 5'11" and fairly athletic, was one of the best three point shooters in the state when he played high school ball. He hit 104 out of 208 attempts his senior year. He got several offers from NAIA and division III programs. He did manage to get a preferred walk-on offer from one division one program. He had a very quick release and was way more athletic than a female would be. I would think if pure shooters, with limited size, were of great value to division I programs, they would take kids like my son over a woman pretty much any day. So if the value of pure shooters changes to where division I programs are willing to take an undersized athlete, I would expect there are plenty of men who could fill that role before they would be desperate enough to take a woman.
Rick Byrd would've made your kid a star!

But I'll go to Hoptown High for example. Coach Haworth, who is the coach of the #1 Louisville Male team now, had a run of 5 Region 2 titles in 6 years. He had 2 players who were athletically amazing.

One was a 6'5 player, JaQualis Matlock. All time leading scorer and rebounder at Hoptown. 4 straight years of playing at Rupp. An undersized 5 and not skilled enough to be a smallball 4, but one of the best players I've ever seen. 3 years of juco and he finally got to play at Eastern Illinois, a bottom D1 program but still D1.

They had a guard with a 40 inch vertical in Tre Edwards. He wasn't even a star to be rated. Got a spot at Murray and then moved on to some jucos...never could find a spot.

Those are the guys you find at the end of a D1 bench...guys who float around possible D2 or NAIA if the right spot doesn't come open. Guys with 40 inch verticals...that's the difference.

Sorry, nothing personal, but even the best female basketball player wouldn't be able to make a men's D1 team.

And if the day comes that we have to handcuff this sport so a woman can have a feel good story about playing with Men.. then that'd the day I'll probably stop watching. Not out of rage or misogyny... but because the product will be so absolutely broken that it's no longer worth taking seriously.
I am with you 100% on that.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT