ADVERTISEMENT

9 Years Since Cal's Title; A Comparison Of Tubby's Last 9 Years After His Title; Incredibly Similar

Sounds a lot like kybassfan. Anyway, what happened to your regular handle? Don’t tell me you got a TO! 😂

I accidentally got logged out and for the life of me I can’t remember my password but I also can’t remember the email I used to sign up- so I’m unable to do a password reset.

I am waiting on rivals support to assist!

Tubby never took a team of his own recruits to the final four much less the championship game. Calipari has taken UMASS and Memphis and UK to the title game and final fours. Tubby hasn't taken any of his other teams to literally anything. So if you can't see a difference in the two coaches then you need your head examined.

True, Tubby also hasn't taken his own recruits to the NIT or not even a post-season tournament. Its Selection Sunday, my favorite time of the year, and for the second time (not counting COVID) Calipari has ruined this day for me. Tubby never did that.

It’s kinda ironic that the people who constantly slammed Tubby for not being able to get to the Final 4 with his own players are all of a sudden propping him up when it comes to Calipari. Going to four Finals 4s is not “incredibly similar” to going to 1.

It took the perfect game from the best player on the best Duke team ever to beat a severely overmatched talent wise Pitino coached team on a last second shot in 1992. Cal wouldn’t have sniffed the tournament with that same talent.

Pitino beat teams with duel threats of Shaq and Chris Jackson as well as Corless Williamson and Scotty Thurman.

Cal couldn’t even handle Admiral Schoefield and Grant Williams.
In which duke received an extremely good and biased whistle. Hell, Mash had four fouls and in reality only one of them was truly a foul. Even Cawood said that UK was completely taken out of the game via the referees.

Was a completely one sided officiated game. There’s no debate. If UK had gotten a fair whistle, UK wins going away in regulation. For those who don’t believe me, go back and watch that game with Cawood on the call. It’s sickening.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Tubby 1999-2007
228-79 for 74.3%
5 AP Top 10 Teams
4 SEC Titles
4 SECT Titles
123-43 in SEC for 74.1%
3 Elite 8s
0 Final 4s
17-9 in NCAAT
Record vs other 6 Top Programs 21-15 for 58.3%
50-40 for 55.5% versus AP top 25

Cal 2013-21
237-79 for 75%
5 AP Top 10 teams
4 SEC Titles
4 SECT titles
134-46 in SEC for 74.4%
4 Elite 8s
2 Final 4s
18-6 in NCAAT
Record versus other top programs 15-16 for 48.4%
38-33 for 53.5% versus AP Top 25

**Cal does kick Tubby's butt on 1st and 2nd round draft picks...and generational wealth.
Come on I've seen you do better with your negativity you should have left off the elite 8s and final 4s it hurt your argument.

Yes not that close - plus Tubby quit recruiting and Ky was no longer relevant
We just had the #1 class even though they ended up not very good
Everyone thought they would be good
Tubby couldn’t get to a final four with his recruits
He was average in every way and has proven since he left Ky to be a below average Coach everywhere he has been
Without Rick Pitino players he never would have Cosched a Final Four and that is facts

Not surprising that Calipari's record is similar to Tubby's. Both of them are very ordinary basketball coaches. But there is, for me, one overwhelming difference between Tubby and Calipari.

Calipari is an arrogant snake-oil salesman. Tubby seems to me the antithesis of that. Tubby's no better (and no worse) as basketball coach. But with Tubby, you don't get all of that other b.s.

According to the final four logic presented in this thread, Kentucky has only had 17 successful seasons in its entire history and John Calipari can't sniff Tom Izzo who is obviously a great coach but I don't know that he is head and shoulders above Cal.

Tubby is a really good coach and ran a great program here. The numbers back that up. I don't care what he's done at Memphis and High point.

Cal is a really good coach as well and runs a great program, but in a very different way and very different era.

There's reasonable room for critique of both.

Tubby could and probably should have gone after more NBA talent and given younger guys more playing time.

Cal at this point, with his contract, overall success, and room for error, should adjust ever so slightly to recruiting more program players and building teams that will have experience, discipline, maturity...

There is no consistency nor stability in the program right now. Not necessarily all Cals fault, the modern game is going through a weird transient phase with all the transferring across the board, and then at the high-level programs, you got OADs popping in and out in addition to a revolving transfer door.

The "talent...players first...draft night is our goal...etc" is great when that talent is truly exceptional and bounces to the lottery...

When the talent starts bouncing to mid-second round or Michigan, Texas, UCLA, NC ST, Washington, Arizona and is replaced with guys coming in from Bucknell, Stanford, and new 18-year-olds who aren't going to be around much more than a year or two because they too will want to leave prematurely for the draft or seek out more playing time elsewhere ...something else is going on and it needs to be curtailed.

Tubby 1999-2007
228-79 for 74.3%
5 AP Top 10 Teams
4 SEC Titles
4 SECT Titles
123-43 in SEC for 74.1%
3 Elite 8s
0 Final 4s
17-9 in NCAAT

Cal 2013-21
237-79 for 75%
5 AP Top 10 teams
4 SEC Titles
4 SECT titles
134-46 in SEC for 74.4%
4 Elite 8s
2 Final 4s
18-6 in NCAAT

**Cal does kick Tubby's butt on 1st and 2nd round draft picks...and generational wealth.
I would say since 2015 it has become Tubby like, even the style of play is almost tubby like.

According to the final four logic presented in this thread, Kentucky has only had 17 successful seasons in its entire history and John Calipari can't sniff Tom Izzo who is obviously a great coach but I don't know that he is head and shoulders above Cal.

Tubby is a really good coach and ran a great program here. The numbers back that up. I don't care what he's done at Memphis and High point.

Cal is a really good coach as well and runs a great program, but in a very different way and very different era.

There's reasonable room for critique of both.

Tubby could and probably should have gone after more NBA talent and given younger guys more playing time.

Cal at this point, with his contract, overall success, and room for error, should adjust ever so slightly to recruiting more program players and building teams that will have experience, discipline, maturity...

There is no consistency nor stability in the program right now. Not necessarily all Cals fault, the modern game is going through a weird transient phase with all the transferring across the board, and then at the high-level programs, you got OADs popping in and out in addition to a revolving transfer door.

The "talent...players first...draft night is our goal...etc" is great when that talent is truly exceptional and bounces to the lottery...

When the talent starts bouncing to mid-second round or Michigan, Texas, UCLA, NC ST, Washington, Arizona and is replaced with guys coming in from Bucknell, Stanford, and new 18-year-olds who aren't going to be around much more than a year or two because they too will want to leave prematurely for the draft or seek out more playing time elsewhere ...something else is going on and it needs to be curtailed.
I don't think anyone is saying that only thing that matters is Final Fours. But when 1 guy has 1 Final Four and the other guy has 4 Final Fours in the same period of time, there just is no comparison. One of them is infinitely more successful in the postseason.

Reactions: LukaszObrzut87
Tubby 1999-2007
228-79 for 74.3%
5 AP Top 10 Teams
4 SEC Titles
4 SECT Titles
123-43 in SEC for 74.1%
3 Elite 8s
0 Final 4s
17-9 in NCAAT

Cal 2013-21
237-79 for 75%
5 AP Top 10 teams
4 SEC Titles
4 SECT titles
134-46 in SEC for 74.4%
4 Elite 8s
2 Final 4s
18-6 in NCAAT

without reading the thread, I'm sure someone has pointed it out already - this is a pretty poor effort. dlh, you're good with the stats, but this is poor. The argument against Tubby was he didn't make a Final Four in his last 9 years. You can't compare him to someone who made multiple final fours and say they are "incredibly similar". It's an "other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?" kind of thing. For example:

Tom Cruise
  • born in Louisville in the 1960s
  • brown hair and brown eyes
  • starred in nearly 50 feature films, billions in box office, Oscar nominations
  • is devoutly religious (Scientology)
  • can be quirky
  • has many family and friends
Me
  • born in Louisville in the 1960s
  • brown hair and brown eyes
  • starred in zero feature films
  • is devoutly religious (Christianity)
  • can be quirky
  • has many family and friends
Incredibly similar!

Reactions: JFCats22
I don't think anyone is saying that only thing that matters is Final Fours. But when 1 guy has 1 Final Four and the other guy has 4 Final Fours in the same period of time, there just is no comparison. One of them is infinitely more successful in the postseason.
You almost had it until you went super hyperbole with the word "infinitely."

They each have one title in the postseason. That destroys your word. In fact, Tubby's FF conversion rate is 100%, Cal's is 25%. And Tubby did it with a team that was worse than the 2012 and 2015 teams.

Man, throwing yourself down on the floor and flailing your arms and legs as you cry out through this comment is no way to act.

Is it in the record books? No. Did it happen? Yes. Will you bring up UL randomly after you read this? 100% certain.
Really? Your first sentence is suppose to get what response from me? If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound if no one is there? Throwing yourself down on the floor wailing and flailing your arms and legs about because I stated a fact means what? Did it happen? Sure it did. Does it count? No.

You almost had it until you went super hyperbole with the word "infinitely."

They each have one title in the postseason. That destroys your word. In fact, Tubby's FF conversion rate is 100%, Cal's is 25%. And Tubby did it with a team that was worse than the 2012 and 2015 teams.
I disagree. They each have 1 title in the same time frame. Cal also has a runner-up and 2 more Final Fours. I see that infinitely/immensely/way/drastically (whatever word you want to put in) better. It's not even in the same discussion imo.

And using a conversion rate as a positive for Tubby? What does that even show? I can only make it to the Final Four 10% of the time I coach, but at least I'm 100% when I get there.

Post season not That different. Too much credit for winning 1 more tourney game yet coming up short for a title.
Absolutely NO comparision
If 2 more Final Fours and 1 more Elite Eight is “incredibly similar”, I’d like to see what is not incredibly similar. I would say their regular seasons are incredibly similar but their post season success isn’t even close.
Their recruits were sure not incredibly similar. Cal's were usually ranked No. 1 or 2, and Tubby's were lucky to be in the Top 10. Tubby was a much better X and O coach then Cal. but definitely not a good recruiter. He tried to take to many players who were not that good, did not have many scholarship offers, and make a great player out of them. Cal tried to take players who were 5 STARS, and make NBA players out of them after one year.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I disagree. They each have 1 title in the same time frame. Cal also has a runner-up and 2 more Final Fours. I see that infinitely/immensely/way/drastically (whatever word you want to put in) better. It's not even in the same discussion imo.

And using a conversion rate as a positive for Tubby? What does that even show? I can only make it to the Final Four 10% of the time I coach, but at least I'm 100% when I get there.
It means cal puts himself in position to win more than tubby. That’s not in dispute. But tubby has the same number of titles. That cancels out your superlative because it means cal can’t close the deal most of the time.

I’m not evading the main point. I agreed that regular seasons are very similar. I just don’t think post seasons are. If Tubby had 2 more Final Fours in his time here, he would be looked at drastically different, and as a much more successful tenure here...that’s a fact. I have no problem saying Cal needs to make some drastic changes or hit the road. We aren’t paying home $8.5 million for this.
Tubby Smith a great Coach Better human being his record speaks for itself Retiring from coaching 6/30 on his 70th Birthday
God Bless u Coach

Post season not That different. Too much credit for winning 1 more tourney game yet coming up short for a title.
So going by your logic 7 elite 8's in 9 tournaments would be astonishing correct? If that one measly game doesn't matter.

The difference in tubby n cal is
Uk was an afterthought the whole time tubby was here basically. Was a Failure in the post season.
Cal is the opposite. Doesn't care as much about reg season games and wins in post season

So going by your logic 7 elite 8's in 9 tournaments would be astonishing correct? If that one measly game doesn't matter.

The difference in tubby n cal is
Uk was an afterthought the whole time tubby was here basically. Was a Failure in the post season.
Cal is the opposite. Doesn't care as much about reg season games and wins in post season
News flash. UK is now an after thought. Why else are we having so much trouble getting players.

News flash. UK is now an after thought. Why else are we having so much trouble getting players.
Nah. One bad season doesn't make you irrelevant. 2019/2020 we were exactly where we needed to be heading into match madness.... And that is what matters.

Who says we are having trouble? You have no idea what is going on. Because the same silly fans that whined all year continue to be negative doesn't mean we are having issues landing players.
Grady is the best guard we could have landed for next season. Highschool or portal

“Grady is the best guard we could have landed for next season. Highschool or portal.”
I love Grady but right now he’s one of 7 scholarship players and we have no PGs. There’s no excuse for a school like Kentucky to be in this situation.

• Angry
Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Nah. One bad season doesn't make you irrelevant. 2019/2020 we were exactly where we needed to be heading into match madness.... And that is what matters.

Who says we are having trouble? You have no idea what is going on. Because the same silly fans that whined all year continue to be negative doesn't mean we are having issues landing players.
Grady is the best guard we could have landed for next season. Highschool or portal
You are eat up with it.

Yes not that close - plus Tubby quit recruiting and Ky was no longer relevant
We just had the #1 class even though they ended up not very good
Everyone thought they would be good
Tubby couldn’t get to a final four with his recruits
He was average in every way and has proven since he left Ky to be a below average Coach everywhere he has been
Without Rick Pitino players he never would have Cosched a Final Four and that is facts
Pitino was better than both Cal and Tubby

I don’t know how else to say it. Tubby was run out of town because he lacked success in March. Cal is being criticized because he lacks success in March since 2015. This year sucked. 2013 sucked. It doesn’t change the fact that Cal went to 2 more Final Fours.
this year did more than suck....it's like you'd been dating only pretty girls and then all you could date were ugly girls.

One of them has also missed the tournament twice now while the other never did so that almost cancels out the 3 more F4’s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT