ADVERTISEMENT

7’1” Khaman Maluch

Jan 17, 2024
7’1” Khaman Maluch of NBA Academy Africa will be visiting Kentucky on an official next month.

Anyone know anything about him or his recruitment?

We went and saw him in December. Plays where Ugo was I think. Duke has a couple of crystal balls, also considering us, Baylor and UCLA. Will be visiting us soon and he will decide toward the end of February what he wants to do.

UK needs a dominant shot blocker. Is this guy that type?
Someone that can come across the lane & block a shot after it has already left the shooters hand.
Ugo blocks some shots, but they all seem to be the guy he is guarding, but no weak side help
Using Sampson & Olajawun as examples, they would block shots that were already in the air

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
UK needs a dominant shot blocker. Is this guy that type?
Someone that can come across the lane & block a shot after it has already left the shooters hand.
Ugo blocks some shots, but they all seem to be the guy he is guarding, but no weak side help
Using Sampson & Olajawun as examples, they would block shots that were already in the air
He wants to go somewhere that can develop him and maybe win a championship. He has a 7-6 reach and is very mobile for a 7-2 guy. Shot 40% from the three but is good at going to the rim and finishing also. Can guard guards and averaged about 15 rebounds a game and several blocks a game. Will be eligible for the 25 draft. Has played well against pro's.

Quantaince I believe is a pure 4. Cyril and Ugo pure 5's. Sounds like this guy could be either.
Quantance is 6'10 230 lbs....and he's not a guy that does his game face up, off the bounce, shootign jumpers. So he is clearly a collegiate Center.

If the plan is to play him as a PF....that feels like a clogging/big team that will struggle to score and generate pace.

Quantance is 6'10 230 lbs....and he's not a guy that does his game face up, off the bounce, shootign jumpers. So he is clearly a collegiate Center.

If the plan is to play him as a PF....that feels like a clogging/big team that will struggle to score and generate pace.
One article I read on him his skill level is super high. I got the impression from the things he does good he would be a 4. His agility, handles and IQ appears to be proish like. You may be right but he seems to be a natural 4 IMO. Sounded like he would be good enough to go pro after one year if not for his age. Offensively Finklestein said he is a natural face to the basket player. Said he runs the floor great and is an excellent passer. Not sure about his defense though. Can he guard smaller players?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowtown Cat

So that's exactly how Cal will try to use him then.

One article I read on him his skill level is super high. I got the impression from the things he does good he would be a 4. His agility, handles and IQ appears to be proish like. You may be right but he seems to be a natural 4 IMO. Sounded like he would be good enough to go pro after one year if not for his age. Offensively Finklestein said he is a natural face to the basket player. Said he runs the floor great and is an excellent passer. Not sure about his defense though. Can he guard smaller players?
Watch this video of Quantance vs Overtime elite and tell me you see a PF anywhere in this dude? It's clear as the noon day sun he's a collegiate center 100%. (air ball 3pt...and missed the other... Got ripped twice trying to dribble to paint facing up....another TO trying to pass....all his makes were dunks and finishes at time...with a load of rebounds in traffic and blocked shot).

But if Cal wants to amass more high rated kids and roll out

PG - Fland
SG- maybe Shep is back
SF - Richmond
PF - Quantance
C - Somto...of this Maluch kid if we can land him

That would be certifiably awful floor spacing and another in the long line of Cal stupid fests....and won't be a title favorite.

Next year roster should start to look like
PG - Fland
SG - Shep....if he comes back
SF - Portal player that is a plus shooter
PF - Theiro
C - Quantance/Somto (this assume Ugo might be gone....hard to call on what happens with Ugo)

Watch this video of Quantance vs Overtime elite and tell me you see a PF anywhere in this dude? It's clear as the noon day sun he's a collegiate center 100%. (air ball 3pt...and missed the other... Got ripped twice trying to dribble to paint facing up....another TO trying to pass....all his makes were dunks and finishes at time...with a load of rebounds in traffic and blocked shot).

PG - Fland
SG- maybe Shep is back
SF - Richmond
PF - Quantance

That would be certifiably awful floor spacing and another in the long line of Cal stupid fests....and won't be a title favorite.

PG - Fland
PF - Theiro
C - Quantance/Somto (this assume Ugo might be gone....hard to call on what happens with Ugo)

May be why we are wanting the 7-2 guy. Looks like he can play the 4. The way he moves and shot 40% from the three.

It’s what Cal wants. It’s who he is. This year is an anomaly that benefited from Reed being better than expected and is not having any bigs to start the season.

Cal will use the drop in defense and rebounding this year as a reason to return to oversized lineups, playing slow bully ball, and trying to win 60-80 range. Thats the tempo he prefers with occasional initial fast break but pull it out and use the clock if it isn’t there. …….even though this team has enough team length for 1-5 (pre getting Z) and athleticism to not be this bad defensively or on the glass. It’s execution and coaching. But it takes less hands on coaching other than working on individual draft day skills to field a team full of size and athleticism and let them play physical bully ball on both ends, especially from a teach defense and rebounding aspect.

• Sad
Reactions: K_TIME and catben

PG - Fland
SG- maybe Shep is back
SF - Richmond
PF - Quantance

PG - Fland
PF - Theiro

Quantance didnt look very good from that, at all! Doubt he contributes much next year offensively. Maybe the following year.

Reactions: rodgersl and K_TIME
May be why we are wanting the 7-2 guy. Looks like he can play the 4. The way he moves and shot 40% from the three.
And that is still the wrong way to play and construct a roster....if you have a 7'2 in Maluch dude who can step out and stoke a three ball....play him at Center and be even greater at floor spacing.

- He likely isn't going to be a good defensive player....playing away from basket a ton
- He likely won't have good handles to face up and take guys off bounce as PF

The most common sense approach to PF next year is Thiero....maybe Burks is ready to play backup....or go get a Portal PF if not. But Cal looks like he's back to constructing rosters ike a 10 year old kid picking a fantasy team.

And that is still the wrong way to play and construct a roster....if you have a 7'2 in Maluch dude who can step out and stoke a three ball....play him at Center and be even greater at floor spacing.

- He likely isn't going to be a good defensive player....playing away from basket a ton
- He likely won't have good handles to face up and take guys off bounce as PF

The most common sense approach to PF next year is Thiero....maybe Burks is ready to play backup....or go get a Portal PF if not. But Cal looks like he's back to constructing rosters ike a 10 year old kid picking a fantasy team.
So we could have four 5's next season if Ugo doesn't leave? Ugo, Cyril, Quantaince and Maluch. If Edwards comes back, and he should, along with Thiero and Burks, the frontcourt could be crowded. Edwards a second round pick now, he may be a Quickley type and be smart enough to give it more time.

So we could have four 5's next season if Ugo doesn't leave? Ugo, Cyril, Quantaince and Maluch. If Edwards comes back, and he should, along with Thiero and Burks, the frontcourt could be crowded. Edwards a second round pick now, he may be a Quickley type and be smart enough to give it more time.

Just given what we've seen from Onyenso last offseason, I doubt he will be back. Obviously there is no shot of Edwards coming back imo. Also, A Maluach commitment (it's early and he's looking at Duke too), would probably cause some other transfer or de-commit.

Reactions: gharding07
Just given what we've seen from Onyenso last offseason, I doubt he will be back. Obviously there is no shot of Edwards coming back imo. Also, A Maluach commitment (it's early and he's looking at Duke too), would probably cause some other transfer or de-commit.
I like Ugo. He always plays hard, rebounds and blocks shots. Also, has come a long way in a year IMO. Last couple of years he could be a solid player for us.

Reactions: Jperry1987
Not disputing that Quaintance could play PF as a college freshman. But with his size and supposed good agility for a Big, wouldn't you want that offensively at Center for a college team - assuming he's strong enough to hold his own at that age? Are we just theoretically talking about pushing him to PF to justify taking another freshman Center recruit? And are there possibly better options (particularly offensively) at PF already on the roster (e.g., a healthy Thiero)?

I don't know. I just want Quaintance and every other player next season to earn his position and not hinder the offense - and I believe that the offense ideally needs to include good 3 pt. shooting from at least 3 and preferably 4 spots on the floor (e.g., one or two really good shooters and a couple more pretty decent shooters). In watching a little video of Quaintance I see offensive potential I like at Center, but worries me at PF.

He wants to go somewhere that can develop him and maybe win a championship. He has a 7-6 reach and is very mobile for a 7-2 guy. Shot 40% from the three but is good at going to the rim and finishing also. Can guard guards and averaged about 15 rebounds a game and several blocks a game. Will be eligible for the 25 draft. Has played well against pro's.
have you seen him play?
your description of him makes him sound like a world beater

I’m just happy to be involved with some international players these days. I hope Big Z is just the start of us recruiting those guys.

Reactions: G-PIP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT