ADVERTISEMENT

5 Teams That Could Benefit UK with an SEC Expansion

Duke is a small school & thus has small alumni base. Net, nothing there. Yes, Duke moves the tiny hoops needle. It also move the huge football needle - negatively.

Agreed that Duke doesn't move the football needle and agreed that basketball is less important. They do, however, bring new markets (they have a national fanbase and brand) and I think you're underestimating the importance of academics. SEC presidents would salivate at the idea of getting UNC and Duke, would greatly enhance the academic credentials of the SEC.

NC & VT would bring huge TV markets, but VA brings more than VT. I think NC always sticks with Duke & VA. JMO.

I think UVA is a more attractive target b/c they are THE state school, an outstanding public university, etc. But, VT has the better football tradition, so I think either would be a plus for the SEC.

NC & VT would bring huge TV markets, but VA brings more than VT. I think NC always sticks with Duke & VA. JMO.

negative. Tech would bring enormous Northern Virginia / greater DC television market. in football, UVA fanbase outweighs Tech in Charlottesville area ONLY.

If and when the SEC expands to 16 teams it will expand into two additional states. The SEC will never include another school from a state where it is already foot-printed. Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama . . . these states will forever be the only states with multiple schools in the Southeastern Conference.

I think UVA is a more attractive target b/c they are THE state school, an outstanding public university, etc. But, VT has the better football tradition, so I think either would be a plus for the SEC.

I agree with on on college presidents, up to a certain point but not a single on of them is going to turn down 40 mil football money annually for a 1 time 1 mil academic grant. It will all come down to who creates a footprint that will add more to that payout at the end of the season. Of all the teams mentioned in the east, WV probably has the worst academic repuation, its a poor state but their fans are fanatics almost on the level of Bama fans and it puts Washington DC in the SEC footprint. Big12 being shakey like it is, WV would jump on an offer to join the SEC. That happens then one of the teams in NC becomes a priority. I think UNC is the least likely of the group, ACC is strong right now in the major sports, conference is stable and UNC has huge pull in the conference. Why come to a conference where they would have basically zero say in what happens? Now one of the other schools like State, or even Wake wouldn't to consider that. If we expand I think at least 1, possibly 2 Big12 schools will be involved. Texas throws crumbs to the rest of the conference.

I agree with on on college presidents, up to a certain point but not a single on of them is going to turn down 40 mil football money annually for a 1 time 1 mil academic grant. It will all come down to who creates a footprint that will add more to that payout at the end of the season. Of all the teams mentioned in the east, WV probably has the worst academic repuation, its a poor state but their fans are fanatics almost on the level of Bama fans and it puts Washington DC in the SEC footprint. Big12 being shakey like it is, WV would jump on an offer to join the SEC. That happens then one of the teams in NC becomes a priority. I think UNC is the least likely of the group, ACC is strong right now in the major sports, conference is stable and UNC has huge pull in the conference. Why come to a conference where they would have basically zero say in what happens? Now one of the other schools like State, or even Wake wouldn't to consider that. If we expand I think at least 1, possibly 2 Big12 schools will be involved. Texas throws crumbs to the rest of the conference.

The SEC had its chance with WVU and did not have any interest due to small TV footprint, poor academics. I don't see that changing the next time around.

Reactions: straykat
If we expand basketball will be a minimal consideration at best as it should be. Football is what puts butts in seats and eyes on TVs with ad revenue. Oklahoma and North Carolina would be the two best we could conceivably add, but Virginia Tech and NC State are the most plausible.

Reactions: The-Hack
The SEC had its chance with WVU and did not have any interest due to small TV footprint, poor academics. I don't see that changing the next time around.

Gets the SEC in the DC footprint, which is something they want, maybe not number 1 on the list, but higher than Kansas which isn't much higher in state population than WV and doesn't have DC in their backyard. One of the NC schools and one of the Virginia schools would be ideal, move Missouri to the West and done. But getting out of the ACC is expensive, they have a huge exit fee, enforceable or not I don't know. But its a stable conference, just won the football and basketball national championships, had the best bowl record of any conference. Their payout will improve, does anyone really want to leave? Maybe 5 years ago SEC could have said we will take you and they jump, not sure about today, NCST maybe to get out of NC and Duke's shadow, one of the Virginia schools maybe, We could probably get 2 of the Big12 teams or even Houston right now because the conference is unstable, been omitted from the playoffs 2 out of 3 years, but which 2? OU for sure, Baylor has been successful in football and both basketball programs but has the perception of an outlaw program now, TCU is an option, so is Texas Tech. Texas is a conference killer and has that boat anchor Longhorn Network attached to it. I think it will happen, I don't know who, 10 years from now all the conferences may look alot different.

Reactions: cat888
Expansion is all about money, and television sets . . . . with a 90% focus on football, as that's what the people watching T.V.'s watch predominately.

So, it is extremely likely that expansion will occur into a state/area outside of the current SEC footprint. North Carolina, Virginia and Oklahoma seem the most likely places, and North Carolina brings the most T.V.'s. When thinking about it, forget roundball, and remember that (for most counter-intuitively) football is the bigger cash cow even in states like North Carolina and Kentucky.

I have always believed that the choices break down as follows, both by profit and preference:

(1) North Carolina and either Duke or N.C. State.
(2) Virginia and Virginia Tech.
(3) Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Of course, one can easily argue that we can split . . . . and get two states.

Maybe we can pull off another A @ M deal . . . . we don't need Texas U. to get access to Texas, as we have A @ M, and many Texas fans likely watch A @ M to see if they lose.

Perhaps, then we get North Carolina and Virginia Tech, adding two states and not having to deal with Duke/NC State and/or Virginia.

Two things are pretty darn certain at this point: (1) The SEC is the bull in the china shop . . . . if you ever hear that the schools being discussed have no interest in joining, don't believe the report. Most (I would suspect ALL) would give their eye teeth to get into the conference that is already the GOAT, and will simply become GOATIER.
(2) Schools from within a state that is already in the conference, are out. Why add a Texas, Louisville, Clemson or Florida State, when we already have the state's TV market. It will not be done.

In short, the rich will get richer, and we are very fortunate to be affiliated with the SEC.
The SEC will expand again when the time is right. Expansion is about money and TV, adding more major urban markets. Missouri brought Kansas City media market to the SEC. Texas A&M brought in the Houston market. Current SEC members can veto applicant schools due to territorial media overlap or bad blood. When you think of it that way, certain things become more obvious. Kentucky will never allow Louisville to become an SEC member. For many reasons, it's unlikely Duke or North Carolina would be added. For 1 thing, they don't bring a significant urban media market. For another, their football programs are not attractive to the SEC. Besides that, the ACC is making more money now for its members so the next round of SEC expansion probably looks elsewhere. If circumstances ever turn more favorable, the SEC might become interested in adding the Miami media market. But not now. Dallas/Oklahoma City, Baltimore/Washington DC markets also attractive under the right circumstances. It's a waiting game, and the SEC can afford to wait.

Bttt.

Here’s an old thread from 4 years, ago, about potential expansion.

Most (including me) did not see Texas as a real possibility, though a couple did!!

Reactions: Rockford
The ACC TV contract is terrible in relation to the SEC and the Big 10. To make matters worse it will be locked in for a long time, while the other two conferences are on the cusp of signing brand new deals that will bring in a huge haul that will be made even bigger if those conferences can 1) add bigger markets and 2) ensure more conference games.

I believe this is the main reason that we are hearing about expansion right now. OU, Texas and two ACC/Notre Dame schools are about to hit the jackpot. Everyone else is going to be scrambling for a seat at the table in what is left over. And since this is about TV revenue, it may be surprising as to who gets picked. Who would have thought Rutgers would have had a seat at the table, but because they bring the New York TV market they got a golden ticket.

What do you think?

Link
Duke and Kansas wouldn't be considered because neither of them bring anything to the table when it comes to football......SEC isn't going to bring in any school that doesn't have football as it's top priority.

This is a football first conference and that isn't about to change, any thoughts of adding schools where basketball is their top priority will not be considered, thinking they would be is foolhardy at best.

Let me put it this way.......if UK weren't a SEC member and was in the ACC and wanted to join the SEC, we wouldn't be considered due to basketball being the Administrations top sport priority and football only being looked at as a way to fund all other sports at UK.

So just dream on over adding Duke, Kansas or any other school where bball is king.

SEC.....where football means more!

I thought the ACC had a grant of rights deal or whatever that would make leaving the conference nearly impossible financially speaking.
For any current member or ND to leave the ACC it would cost 50 million dollars and their media rights for the length of the current contract (2037).

Every team that has left a conference has found a way around or completely out of any agreement they had in place. If a school wants out of the ACC or any other conference they will find a way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT