ADVERTISEMENT

5 Teams That Could Benefit UK with an SEC Expansion

Would be nice to add some of those ACC schools if expansion were to happen sometime soon but that will never happen with the new buyout rules they have in place to get out of the ACC.

Reactions: _Rooster
OU and VT and call it a day. Both have very good football teams and usually pretty good basketball teams.
Very passionate fanbases for football. The SEC should make this deal today if they can.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
The SEC doesn't need any more schools from Tobacco road. They to advance their invasion into east Texas.

Houston, Baylor, SMU, all have large alumni bases especially in that part of the world. In addition to already having the Aggies, conquering the rest of the territory would give the conference a major foothold in one of the most populous and ever growing regions of the country which means more money for TV deals and bowls, which means more money for UK.

Also, I think UK could hold their own against those programs and the conference expanding further into Texas would open the pipelines a little more for us to tap into some of that talent. The big boys have always been able to go in there, but if that region became predominantly SEC oriented it would allow UK to snag some talent.

west Virginia would be a better pick up than va tech..... football and basketball is superior with fans that travel..... would be great rivalry with uk and Tennessee...... then id have to go with florida state or Oklahoma as the other one...

Reactions: EastLansingCat
The SEC has plenty of good teams for football. I'd like to see Mizzou traded for a basketball school (not that it could happen)

I'm biased in favor of basketball, so my preference would be to add Kansas and North Carolina. We have enough football powerhouses already. Probably would never happen though. Second choice would be Oklahoma and Texas.

No one seems to understand or care that these ACC schools are locked into a long term contract. They can't afford to move for a long time.

I've long thought a smart thing to do would be to add Georgetown for basketball. That would get the network into very lucrative markets. And the SEC wouldn't have to share as much money with them because they wouldn't be playing football. Win-win.

Best bet would be to add OU to the West and UNC to the East.

OU is a big name national brand. They give the SEC Oklahoma City and Tulsa markets. They fit nicely geographically with natural rivalries with Arkansas, A&M, and Missouri. Plus, they are a football school and football rules the day in this situation.

UNC is also a big name national brand. They give the SEC an even better market with Charlotte and several other decent sized cities in North Carolina. They fit perfectly with the geography. They are not really a football school, but they could become a pretty decent program. Basketball is a nice bonus. Plus, they are ripe for the pickings with the tension between the state and the ACC.

NC St. and Virginia Tech would be the next step. If you can't get OU and UNC, you get these two and move Mizzou to the West and add these two to the East. You still get the North Carolina market and a slightly better football program (IMHO) in NCSU. You get the Virginia, DC, and possibly the Baltimore markets, plus a good football program with VT.

That would be the only expansions the SEC should do.

Zona, ASU- too far geographically and not worth it for the Phoenix market.
Clemson, FSU, Texas- never happen because of USC, UF, and A&M.
UVA- intriguing, but VT is more attractive from a football standpoint.
KU, KSU- weak football, weak markets.
Duke- only if they miss on the other two NC schools.
OSU- if the SEC missed on OU and they really wanted OKC and Tulsa, but that would seem kind of desperate, IMHO.

No football. Not going to happen. Football money makes the world go around.

west Virginia would be a better pick up than va tech..... football and basketball is superior with fans that travel..... would be great rivalry with uk and Tennessee...... then id have to go with florida state or Oklahoma as the other one...

No, they don't travel better than VT fans. In addition, VT brings a much larger television market, and really, I don't want that inbreeding trash, couch burning fan base in the SEC.

No, they don't travel better than VT fans. In addition, VT brings a much larger television market, and really, I don't want that inbreeding trash, couch burning fan base in the SEC.
Who is going to cough up the dough to buy out a 20 year media rights contract?

No one seems to understand or care that these ACC schools are locked into a long term contract. They can't afford to move for a long time.

I've long thought a smart thing to do would be to add Georgetown for basketball. That would get the network into very lucrative markets. And the SEC wouldn't have to share as much money with them because they wouldn't be playing football. Win-win.

The SEC will never add a school that doesn't play football. This is about TV market money, and Georgetown would add zilch to that, as they have next to zero as far as a fan base goes. The days of the Big East marquee matchups is long gone, and the wagon hopping fans that Georgetown had back then are no longer watching.

I want the SEC to add OU and UNC, break away from the NCAA, become their own entity, and start paying athletes.

In football, split into four divisions:

East- UF, UGA, USC, UNC
North- UK, UT, Vandy, Mizzou
Central- Bama, Aub, MSU, Ole Miss
West- LSU, A&M, Ark, OU

Each team plays home and homes with their division rivals (like in the NFL). That's 6 games. Then play two rotating teams from each other division. That's 12 games.

The division winners play in a four team playoff for the title.

In basketball, a 30 game schedule. Home and home with the other fifteen teams. Seed the teams 1-16 for the tourney. The best players are going to come to the SEC to get paid, with UK and UNC getting the cream of the crop.

Football would be better, IMHO. No more Bama vs. Central Alabama A&M or LSU vs. Nothwest Texas Tech games. Playoff lineups like UF, UT, Bama, and OU.

Basketball would probably suffer, but UK vs. UNC title games would be pretty good, especially with the top players in the country likely playing for those two programs.

Lively interesting banter in this thread . . . thanks OP.

East- UF, UGA, USC, UNC
North- UK, UT, Vandy, Mizzou
Central- Bama, Aub, MSU, Ole Miss
West- LSU, A&M, Ark, OU
Nice regional SEC alignment.

PersonalIy, I'd much, much rather add NCSU than UNCheat, I find their fans much more respectful, not so eat up with denial. To me, that would be like adding UL, IU or even KU. Yuk! The North is great list. Central again excellent alignment! The west, I'd prefer adding Houston over OU. Nothing against the Sooners except they're sooners, I just feel the Rockets bring better market, creates better rivalries.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
Would love to see the look on the faces of VT coaches and administrators when they look up in the stands for their first SEC "home" game against UK basketball.

Lively interesting banter in this thread . . . thanks OP.

Nice regional SEC alignment.

PersonalIy, I'd much, much rather add NCSU than UNCheat, I find their fans much more respectful, not so eat up with denial. To me, that would be like adding UL, IU or even KU. Yuk! The North is great list. Central again excellent alignment! The west, I'd prefer adding Houston over OU. Nothing against the Sooners except they're sooners, I just feel the Rockets bring better market, creates better rivalries.

A&M already gives the SEC the Houston market.

The SEC will never add a school that doesn't play football. This is about TV market money, and Georgetown would add zilch to that, as they have next to zero as far as a fan base goes. The days of the Big East marquee matchups is long gone, and the wagon hopping fans that Georgetown had back then are no longer watching.
If they don't bring media markets you're right. If they do, the SEC can add the markets and give Georgetown a lesser percentage of media rights revenue than the other SEC schools, but far more than they otherwise would get. It would be a windfall for both.

Really? Is expansion a 'thing' now, again?
I thought the ACC had basically made it financially impossible for a member of that conference to bolt.
Has something happened in the last few days to indicate either the SEC is looking to expand or a member of the ACC wants to join?

It is basically impossible to add a team from the ACC right now. If you're looking to add a major conference team, the Big 12 is the only option.

Not sure why everyone keeps bringing up ACC schools.

From a Football perspective, I'd like the addition of someone like a Kansas. We can and should always be able to handle them on the Football field. As for those who've mentioned the likes of Clemson, Fla St, ...that will NEVER happen in a bizillion years. The other SEC schools will vote with USC and Fla to keep them out...the same if ul was up for entry into the SEC, the other SEC schools would vote "No" with Ky.
There will be no more SEC situations like AU/Bama or Ole Miss/State where there are two teams from the same state in the conference.
Of all the schools mentioned, WVU, Kansas, unc/NCSt, dook, UVa, VPI would be the most likely additions.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Bring back gatech, former charter member, and ncst.

Kansas in the sec would be fun, but doubt they would leave the b12 anymore than uk would leave the sec. but it's all about the $$.

This would have been a better conversation 5 years ago. If the SEC couldnt "poach" an ACC team then, when they were at their weakest what would make anyone think they could take one now when the ACC is at its strongest? Not only are they bound for the next 2 decades by buy outs but the new contracts are compatible with the SEC...or at least compatible "enough" as to not justify leaving. Besides, most of the ACC teams listed on the wish list are bound by politics and economics to other ACC teams...VT to UVA...UNC/Duke/NCST to the research triangle etc...

agree on VT and NC State with
Mizzou move to West.

Absolutely NO to North Carolina unless the NCAA vacates 2005 and 2009 championships. 1993 should be vacated too, but I will accept '05 and '09., 5 year ban from NCAA tournament and appropriate number of wins in all sports, men's and women's that benefitted from the biggest scandal in collegiate
athletics.

Reactions: BigBlueFan1963
No ACC team will pay the penalty to get out, so eliminate the ACC. In a football driven league controlled by TV, expansion could include the Tampa and Orlando markets...USF and UCF...

ACC is out unless the SEC is willing to pay their buyouts for them. Big12 would be the only logical conference to poach from unless you add a non-power 5 like Houston. I'd be happy with any two of OU, OSU, KU, or Texas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT