ADVERTISEMENT

3 main reasons I see Kentucky beating UCLA Friday nite

I'll give you the last two...

They beat us in Rupp already, doesn't get more home than that.

I would challenge that the traveling crowd is far more loud than the regulars in Rupp. The crowds attending the SEC tourney are typically very, very loud. Not sure how many points you get credited for with having a rowdy crowd, but it has to give you a 2-3 point edge.

Reactions: wkycatfan
You sound offended. UCLA fan?

Nope. I can't stand UCLA. But if we're gonna talk about the game at least let's get facts straight. The way people talk on this board is like UCLA played a fluke of a game that can never be replicated. When actuality they played like they've been playing all year.

Watching UCLA and Cincinnati. UCLA lives and dies by the deep ball. Sure they shoot a few mid range elbow jumpers, but if you face guard them from deep it takes away a huge part of their game.

Ball has the worst looking release. Good grief...

Reactions: mattrudd
UK has vastly improved from the game with UCLA earlier in the year. I am sure UCLA has as well but I think the game should be close.

I'll give you the last two...

They beat us in Rupp already, doesn't get more home than that.

Disagree, totally different group of fans.
Totally different vibe for the opposing team. Rupp is Rupp. Big players want to show out there. KY was also number 1.

Watching UCLA and Cincinnati. UCLA lives and dies by the deep ball. Sure they shoot a few mid range elbow jumpers, but if you face guard them from deep it takes away a huge part of their game.

Ball has the worst looking release. Good grief...

UCLA is all about transition. Take good shots, under 6 or 7 TO's and force UCLA to half court game.

1. so UCLA beat UK at Rupp and you think memphis is a better home venue....revenge factor? 2. UCLA beat UK the year prior so wasn't there already revenge on UK's mind from the previous year when they played in December? 3. So you believe UK is the only team that has improved from December? hmm..... UCLA by 8!
Are you the son of Papa Sam Gilbert, the fan who paid UCLA's player payroll during its only glory run (the real pay for play scam)? Or are you just a fan still smarting from the worst Division 1 first half beatdown in history? UK 41, UCLA 7, in 2014? You should be thankful that we let up in the second half and only doubled your score, 83 to 42. 41 to 7 ??? Really?? Get ahead of UK by a factor of 6 in the first half, and then you might be able to face a UK team without feeling embarrassed. Win or lose Friday, you're still our little girl dog . UK by 12.

Last edited:
Reactions: wildcatwelder
I think we can defend them much better but we're going to need to score 75 at minimum, in my opinion.

If we lose to Welsh 15 footers again I'm going to put a hole in my wall. A big one.
Welsh looks like a vampire needing to suck on a neck. Dude gives me the creeps.

I can think of just three words why we will beat UCLA and then UNC this coming weekend.

We just will. :D

Kentucky is a very different team now. We are scoring much less, but our defense is better now. We've also won a lot of tough games in a conference that is tougher than anyone outside of the SEC wants to admit. I hope the grind through the SEC has prepared Kentucky in a way UCLA is not prepared for.

None of it will matter when the ball is tipped. This game will be back and forth, a possession by possession battle that swings back and forth until probably the final play. I wish it was going to be easier than that, but it probably won't be.

We desperately need Bam to stay out of foul trouble and we need to avoid WG out there chucking bricks and dickfingering around like he did Sunday.
I agree with Wenyon - he could be the "X" factor for us!!!!

Nope. I can't stand UCLA. But if we're gonna talk about the game at least let's get facts straight. The way people talk on this board is like UCLA played a fluke of a game that can never be replicated. When actuality they played like they've been playing all year.
Yet UKs defense has improved greatly. Doesn't mean ucla won't win but go back and watch the last game and see how many easy baskets ucla got bc UK had terrible defensive rotation, communication, etc.

Reactions: awf and UKvisitor
1. so UCLA beat UK at Rupp and you think memphis is a better home venue....revenge factor? 2. UCLA beat UK the year prior so wasn't there already revenge on UK's mind from the previous year when they played in December? 3. So you believe UK is the only team that has improved from December? hmm..... UCLA by 8!

^^^^
wmoore 1024

13 years 3 messages --- you are truly proflic !!! .....and don't have a clue!!!

CATS BY 12!!! Gonna stomp those Hollywood Boys !!!

AlohaCat

Reactions: awf
Yep your right they did. That makes two teams. There may be more but it don't happen to a Cal coached team often. Not saying it won't but I like our chances against Ucla.
Arkansas beat us twice in 2014 (tip dunk at buzzer). It doesn't happen often (nor should it). I think we beat the Bruins by 5 points on Friday.

Reactions: awf
1. Memphis --game will be a defacto home game for UK and UCLA will have to come half way across the country while UK could virtually bus to Memphis.

UK fans will own the arena.

2. Revenge. UCLA beat UK in Rupp snapping a long home winning streak for the Cats.
Never easy beating UK twice in the same season.

3. Defense. When UCLA beat UK it was way back in early December. UK has since amped up their D while UCLA really has not.

I can never take your post with much credibility. I'm not saying those aren't good points but you NEVER say anything about any negative points about the Cats. I'm all for supporting the team but there are also weaknesses of EVERY team and EVERY player as well. It doesn't necessarily mean that someone is bashing the team by talking about flaws or concerns. However, you never mention anything of the sort and so it takes away from credibility. As a team, there are always things that needs work and always concerns as well. It's just hard to take someone serious when all they do is post about the wonderful sunshine and never about the rain. Make sense?

1. Memphis --game will be a defacto home game for UK and UCLA will have to come half way across the country while UK could virtually bus to Memphis.

UK fans will own the arena.

2. Revenge. UCLA beat UK in Rupp snapping a long home winning streak for the Cats.
Never easy beating UK twice in the same season.

3. Defense. When UCLA beat UK it was way back in early December. UK has since amped up their D while UCLA really has not.
I thought for sure you would pick UCLA to beat us.
This is stunning that you think we will win.

BTW, our fans may be the majority, but there's also going to be a lot of UNC fans who will all root against us.

Reactions: crpoore
If you love somebody enough, you'll follow wherever they go
That's how I got to Memphis, that's how I got to Memphis...

UCLA's 4 losses came against Oregon, USC, and Arizona twice. They seem to score points, even when they lose. I think you have to really guard them, and then take the ball the rim against them. They seem a little soft to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattrudd
Yet UKs defense has improved greatly. Doesn't mean ucla won't win but go back and watch the last game and see how many easy baskets ucla got bc UK had terrible defensive rotation, communication, etc.

I agree that UKs defense has improved. How much so remains to be seen imo. Did they improve because they got that much better, or because they haven't played many high powered offenses? Especially one that can score from all 5 positions.

The Cats can certainly win this game, but I think it will be more about what they're doing on offense than defense. They're gonna have to make shots. Hopefully Monk is able to break out of his slump.

Cal calling on Gabriel as the X factor yesterday. I think he sees it too.
The Cats are in trouble if they're counting on anything from Wenyen. Dude hasn't played a solid game in a LONG while. I understand why Cal said this as he's trying to give Wenyen some confidence and motivation but you can't expect him to get his 5h1t right at this point in the year. He's actually gotten worse at the most crucial time of the season. Imo bench depth is a major advantage for UCLA precisely because we've not gotten much from him lately. They have legit big guys coming off the bench and we just don't.

The good news is that Willis is playing the best ball of his career and will be a much better match up for Leaf this go around. The Cats need DW to be sharp in order to have a chance. He needs to match or exceed Leaf as that guy killed UK last time.

The Cats are in trouble if they're counting on anything from Wenyen. Dude hasn't played a solid game in a LONG while. I understand why Cal said this as he's trying to give Wenyen some confidence and motivation but you can't expect him to get his 5h1t right at this point in the year. He's actually gotten worse at the most crucial time of the season. Imo bench depth is a major advantage for UCLA precisely because we've not gotten much from him lately. They have legit big guys coming off the bench and we just don't.

The good news is that Willis is playing the best ball of his career and will be a much better match up for Leaf this go around. The Cats need DW to be sharp in order to have a chance. He needs to match or exceed Leaf as that guy killed UK last time.

Good points, but we need Gabriel to give us some minutes for sure, especially defending and rebounding.

Good points, but we need Gabriel to give us some minutes for sure, especially defending and rebounding.
I agree. I'm really rooting for Wenyen and we know he's capable of playing some good ball (23 and 8 reb v LSU, 6 and 16 reb v Aub). If he comes anywhere close to his performances in those games I REALLY like the Cats chances. He just has to get out of his own head and go have fun.

Welsh looks like a vampire needing to suck on a neck. Dude gives me the creeps.
Absolutely agree.

9087716-thomas-welsh-steve-alford-ncaa-basketball-washington-state-ucla.jpg

Reactions: wildcatglenn
A few facts from first game
UCLA played well 35-66 for 53%. 10-23 for 3 at 43.5% 17-21 free throws (good)
Their downside was 17 turnovers

UK 33-80 for 41%. 8-24 for 3 at 33%, 18-27 free throws(UGH!) only 9 turnovers.

At the time, this was UCLAs best shooting game, but they had others in the 50s since then.
At the time it was about 5 % below our average.

It was many games ago, and we will have to play well, not bringing only one half of good ball.

I agree that UKs defense has improved. How much so remains to be seen imo. Did they improve because they got that much better, or because they haven't played many high powered offenses? Especially one that can score from all 5 positions.

The Cats can certainly win this game, but I think it will be more about what they're doing on offense than defense. They're gonna have to make shots. Hopefully Monk is able to break out of his slump.
Dude your talking to UK fans we know the sport we know where are defensive breakdowns are if you have super elite athletes they aren't getting beat or scored on because they can't play defense they are having mental breakdowns. Like early in the season Fox would stop getting down in his stance (you wouldn't know this cause against ball he hounded the SF so bad they had to let holiday bring the ball up. Sorry man we got 3 teams in the sweet sixteen and only one point to a top 5 team away from having 4. We shut the ark team down that north Carolina struggled with. We can play defense.

UCLA has kind of owned Cal the past couple years. Need to break that cycle.
Well you mean we lost the last two games two seasons ago we actually owned them humiliated them by beating them by 41and having them down to 41 to 7 at the half. I do get ur point time to put them back in the history books with their titles

I don't think the fans will be that much of a factor. They beat us in Rupp with our fans there. The OP was right about tourney fans being different than the blue hairs at Rupp, but we will also have UCLA, UNC, and maybe butler fans against us too. It will come down to our defense being the determining factor. Does anyone have the defensive efficiency numbers for us when we played UCLA the first time?

I don't see us receiving much local (Memphis) fan support. I think a significant majority of locals are still upset about Cal leaving. Hopefully, they won't buy tickets.

I don't see us receiving much local (Memphis) fan support. I think a significant majority of locals are still upset about Cal leaving. Hopefully, they won't buy tickets.
MJ said earlier that it was sold out even before anyone knew the teams. UK/UNC was probably a lot of them but I have a bad feeling there is going to be a good Memphis contingent there though. But I'm not playing into the fans that much. We've went into some hostile arenas this year and came out on top. I just hope Malik Monk doesn't forget to pack his offense on the plane!!!

The game in Rupp was also a noon game and this team has yet to look good in early games, save one in the SEC tourney.

UCLA is going to be a tough game but I think our fans (at least many on here) do all they can to convince themselves why we shouldn't win (in order to avoid being let down) as opposed to looking at things objectively. It's not like UCLA is some insane juggernaut the likes of which the game has never seen...

Gabriel is due to have a really good game. He is way better than he has been playing. We have all seen his A game and it's pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT