ADVERTISEMENT

3 main reasons I see Kentucky beating UCLA Friday nite

The game in Rupp was also a noon game and this team has yet to look good in early games, save one in the SEC tourney.

UCLA is going to be a tough game but I think our fans (at least many on here) do all they can to convince themselves why we shouldn't win (in order to avoid being let down) as opposed to looking at things objectively. It's not like UCLA is some insane juggernaut the likes of which the game has never seen...

ok so why should we win?

ok so why should we win?

Not saying we will win, but we are playing very solid team basketball with Bam, Hawkins and Willis all noticeably better while Fox has turned into a very efficient closer. Monk has played better the last few games (though not as good as he was at the beginning of the year).

If we play solid defense and shoot well, I think we beat UCLA. Yes, they beat us at Rupp in December. I remember it well as I was at the game. But I don't think anyone can judge the outcome of Friday's game by a noon game with several sick players in December. Can UCLA beat us? Absolutely. But based on the changes we've seen over the past three weeks, I like our chances, especially if Monk continues to climb out of his recent slump.

Not saying we will win, but we are playing very solid team basketball with Bam, Hawkins and Willis all noticeably better while Fox has turned into a very efficient closer. Monk has played better the last few games (though not as good as he was at the beginning of the year).

If we play solid defense and shoot well, I think we beat UCLA. Yes, they beat us at Rupp in December. I remember it well as I was at the game. But I don't think anyone can judge the outcome of Friday's game by a noon game with several sick players in December. Can UCLA beat us? Absolutely. But based on the changes we've seen over the past three weeks, I like our chances, especially if Monk continues to climb out of his recent slump.

game time has very little to do with it and the only two players we had sick that day were supposedly mulder and SKJ........

game time has very little to do with it and the only two players we had sick that day were supposedly mulder and SKJ........

“Last night I was running from my bed to the toilet like the whole night,” Willis said.

He wasn’t the only Wildcat under the weather. Willis said Sacha Killeya-Jones, Isaac Humphries and Dominique Hawkins were battling some form of illness as well.

“We came back from the Bahamas, noticed people having coughs,” Willis said. “I’ve been having nausea and stuff. I haven’t been to sleep in probably 20-something hours.”

It was obviously more than just SKJ and Mulder.

Also, you can say game time doesn't impact things but even the players have noted that early games have been an issue.

I've read other posts from you where you try and come off as some "reaslist", which I do appreciate. Do you think our best game isn't good enough to beat theirs?

Gabriel is due to have a really good game. He is way better than he has been playing. We have all seen his A game and it's pretty good.

I don't need a big scoring game from Wenyen. Just some rebounds, maybe a put back or 2, and shut down Welsh.

It's not out of the question that UCLA could beat us on the court, but good lord people, at least act like you support your team a bit.

We have a lot more positives than negatives. I do agree with most that we're an improved basketball team, even though some of you want to believe otherwise.

It's okay to be supportive. I know you're probably preparing for a let down and this is the way you do it, but it is going to be okay. UK has a great chance to win this thing, especially with Ball's father mouthing off today. Motivation to beat your opponent can overcome a lot of shortcomings.

“Last night I was running from my bed to the toilet like the whole night,” Willis said.

He wasn’t the only Wildcat under the weather. Willis said Sacha Killeya-Jones, Isaac Humphries and Dominique Hawkins were battling some form of illness as well.

“We came back from the Bahamas, noticed people having coughs,” Willis said. “I’ve been having nausea and stuff. I haven’t been to sleep in probably 20-something hours.”

It was obviously more than just SKJ and Mulder.

Also, you can say game time doesn't impact things but even the players have noted that early games have been an issue.

I've read other posts from you where you try and come off as some "reaslist", which I do appreciate. Do you think our best game isn't good enough to beat theirs?

so you were right about being sick........ I was thinking about players not playing due to sickness. But really if they were well enough to play then its not much of an excuse.

as for best game vs their best game...... what do you mean by best game? I mean hitting every shot is the best possible game.......or do you mean the best game they've played this season? Or something else?

But really .... no ...........because their best game is hitting 3's........... ours would be driving and getting 2's.......... so if both teams were on..... 3's would have it right?

It's not out of the question that UCLA could beat us on the court, but good lord people, at least act like you support your team a bit.

We have a lot more positives than negatives. I do agree with most that we're an improved basketball team, even though some of you want to believe otherwise.

It's okay to be supportive. I know you're probably preparing for a let down and this is the way you do it, but it is going to be okay. UK has a great chance to win this thing, especially with Ball's father mouthing off today. Motivation to beat your opponent can overcome a lot of shortcomings.

Do you think we would beat the GS Warriors?

The difference in the first game we could stop there two bigs from doing whatever they wanted. Willis' defensive improvement Will be important for the rematch. I am a little worried about Gabriel's defense when he comes in.

What does everyone think UCLA's magic number is for threes? Meaning - if they hit X amount or over they likely beat UK. If we hold then to under X UK wins.

Thoughts?

I'm going with 9.

I figure they will get 9 threes = 27 points
Probably 12 FTs = 12 points
20 2 pt FGs = 40 points

If we hold them to 80 points or less I think we can win.

They have only scored less than 80 in 3 of their last 20 games.

Depends on the situation. Are they all sick with the flu and hopping on one leg with their arms tied behind their back?

Then yes.

Just as ridiculous as the question asked.

the question had a purpose. Because obviously you'd say NO......... then I have ask... Why aren't you supportive of the team?

You can pick UK to lose and still support the team..........

KWilt, as usual I agree with you. Some people down play the revenge factor. I do not. Cal I believe has only lost to one team twice in the same season since he has been here. I may be wrong I didn't look it up. But I believe we lost to fla 3 times in same season. As far as I can remember that is the only team to beat us twice in same season.
I know it will be a nail biter game. But I believe we pull it out by 5-7 points.
If Carolina beats Butler I will be more worried about them than I will be Ucla.
We beat Carolina on a buzzer beater. They will be out for revenge.
UConn in 2011 beat the Brandon Knight team twice.

the question had a purpose. Because obviously you'd say NO......... then I have ask... Why aren't you supportive of the team?

You can pick UK to lose and still support the team..........

You proposed a ridiculous question. You've been proposing this question in multiple threads.

The question is a trap question, which has only one answer ('no' being that answer) because if the person says 'Yes, they can beat the warriors', then you respond with 'That's insane. No college team can beat an NBA team, especially the warriors'.

If the persons says 'No, they can't beat the warriors', then you respond with 'Why aren't you supportive of the team?'

So, yeah, the question is ridiculous and the point you're trying to prove by asking that question is dumb. If you argue otherwise, then you're just being difficult to be difficult.

Anyway, point is, you should at least support your team, through thick/thin, win/defeat. It's part of being a fan. Realism sometimes doesn't play a role in it.

I don't think the fans will be that much of a factor. They beat us in Rupp with our fans there. The OP was right about tourney fans being different than the blue hairs at Rupp, but we will also have UCLA, UNC, and maybe butler fans against us too. It will come down to our defense being the determining factor. Does anyone have the defensive efficiency numbers for us when we played UCLA the first time?
or, maybe not -
reading that a lot of fans from different schools have an issue with LaVar Ball's comments; you know how unc** fans are about Jordan. They weren't happy with Ball saying he could have "killed" him back in his heyday.

Reactions: Cal4Pres.
You proposed a ridiculous question. You've been proposing this question in multiple threads.

The question is a trap question, which has only one answer ('no' being that answer) because if the person says 'Yes, they can beat the warriors', then you respond with 'That's insane. No college team can beat an NBA team, especially the warriors'.

If the persons says 'No, they can't beat the warriors', then you respond with 'Why aren't you supportive of the team?'

So, yeah, the question is ridiculous and the point you're trying to prove by asking that question is dumb. If you argue otherwise, then you're just being difficult to be difficult.

Anyway, point is, you should at least support your team, through thick/thin, win/defeat. It's part of being a fan. Realism sometimes doesn't play a role in it.

Thats not support that you are talking about ........ its faith. I support the team through thick and thin... Picking UCLA to win because the odds are in their favor isnt some lack of support that you think it is.

yeah ........ the question was to make you realize you can pick another team to win the game and still support your team.

could I lie and just of said we're definitely going to win? Yeah i could but I dont like lying like that.

Reactions: nssdigitalchumps
Thats not support that you are talking about ........ its faith. I support the team through thick and thin... Picking UCLA to win because the odds are in their favor isnt some lack of support that you think it is.

yeah ........ the question was to make you realize you can pick another team to win the game and still support your team.

could I lie and just of said we're definitely going to win? Yeah i could but I dont like lying like that.

Understood.

There is some truth to the above, double that with UCLA's (and the Ball's), sense of invincibility.
They may be ripe to be picked off.

or, maybe not -
reading that a lot of fans from different schools have an issue with LaVar Ball's comments; you know how unc** fans are about Jordan. They weren't happy with Ball saying he could have "killed" him back in his heyday.
Well that could be some good news!! Yea I didn't think about the whole Jordan thing. I guess I'd be pissed if he said he could beat John wall

Last edited:
Reactions: Bkocats
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT