ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 Depth Chart

Based on who I think will return (I would love to get Big Z back)

PG-Fland/Perry (Perry is a lot better than people realize, moreso as a ball handler than shooter/scorer)
SG-Sheppard/Richmond
SF-Knox/Thiero
PF-Quaintance/Burks
C-Ugonna/Cyril
This is a good start. We could potentially add Ivisic and Wagner. A couple of select portal guys and you’ve got a really good roster there

LOL, it is all good. I know you read a lot of miserable post from posters, it is easy to get lumped in with those posters. Smoke Em Up !!
It wasn't even that. I started off writing about one player, and my concentration flagged, and I just started writing about another. I've been working all afternoon making a complicated Asian dish tonight -- Crispy Chicken Bao Buns -- and I can't really do two thing at once anymore. As grace for my sins, the sauce smells fantastic. Now, I have to go fry the chicken and steam the buns. This is the 2nd time I've made the dish and I'm very conscious of how easy it is to mess up the steaming part.

If Reed goes pro, there is no way that 'Cal' (in this scenario) wouldn't get an elite portal guy and/or gets Peterson or Jasper Johnson to re-classify.
I would strongly prefer a portal guy. I feel like reclasses do not work out as well.

Reactions: TM2013
Not knocking Travis Ford at all, but he was 5'10" and couldn't create his own shot the way Perry can. Ford hit 53% on threes in '93 with Mashburn, 38% on threes in '94 without Mashburn.

Perry didn't play PG on Lyon because he and Reddick were equally as good at handling the ball. I expect he will play the same way at UK. But if you asked him to be primarily a PG, he would be a great one, at least offensively. He essentially dribbled out most of the 4th quarter against Great Crossing and they couldn't stop it, and GC had some pretty tough guards this year.

Last edited:
These comparisons of Perry next year to Ford (or Sparks) are silly, when people only remember the Jr/Sr Ford and the lone Sr Sparks years. Ford did not shoot well his FR year at Mizzo, nor his Soph year at UK (after sitting out a year).

Slightly interesting story. I was a TA at UK when Ford was there. And when he took a low-level Stats class I was the grader for that class. The classmate (fellow TA) teaching the class didn't know much about basketball (he was from Illinois), and he was surprised Ford was on the team given his height. According to him "there's no way Ford is 5'9, I'm 5'9 and he's shorter than me". I never went to the class to see for myself.

Sparks played two years at Ky and shot about the same both years. He was much more involved his jr year when we went to the elite 8 and lost to MSU.

Not knocking Travis Ford at all, but he was 5'10" and couldn't create his own shot the way Perry can. Ford hit 53% on threes in '93 with Mashburn, 38% on threes in '94 without Mashburn.

Perry didn't play PG on Lyon because he and Reddick were equally as good at handling the ball. I expect he will play the same way at UK. But if you asked him to be primarily a PG, he would be a great one, at least offensively. He essentially dribbled out most of the 4th quarter against Great Crossing and they couldn't stop it, and GC had some pretty tough guards this year.

I’ve always felt Fords numbers dropped due to sharing the backcourt with Delk.

That lineup would be a disaster. They would struggle to break 60. Can’t have ugo and another big. And adou should 100% start in this scenario. But we would need two guards/wings that can spread the floor down the portal.

Sparks yes, better ball handler than Ford ? Nope. Ford was the definition of point guard. He got the TEAM involved, scoring came second. It just so happens that he could really stroke it. Not sure Perry is even a better shooter than Ford. Ford proved his worth on the main stage (UK), Perry hopefully follows in his foot steps.

UK highlights :

428 assist in 3 years / had 193 his SR. year (6 per game)
Had 15 assist in one game
101 made 3's in a season (was the record for 16 years) Shot 53% from 3FG that year
Career 45% 3 point shooter at UK
Career 90% free throw shooter at UK

Travis Ford was a hell of a point guard and when needed, could really fill it up. But he was a set up point guard first, score second, he was just really good at both. They are both local, WKY kids who will / had a chance to shine on the big stage for the state school. They even share the same first name, played for their varsity team during middle school. IF Perry can just be as good as Travis Ford, we will be getting a very good / heady player. But to say Perry is better at both scoring and passing than Ford, is really doing Ford an injustice.
Ford averaged 31.7 points per game his SR. year at Madisonville North Hopkins, he was an assassin, and was in range as soon as he walked into the gym.
I’ve only seen Perry play once. He seems significantly better than Ford. I’m no expert. But is is bigger and quicker. He creates very well off the dribble. He shoots very well. And he wants the ball.

Reactions: FtWorthCat
At minimum we need:

PG Sheppard
Reserve: Fland, Perry
SG Top portal guard- lockdown defender that can shoot.
Reserve: Richmond, Perry, Hart
SF Top portal wing- lockdown defender that can shoot.
Reserve: Knox, Richmond
PF Thiero
Reserve: Burks, Quaintance
C Onyenso
Reserve: Quaintance, Cyril

So what should've happened this year, is cal should've stopped playing Edwards and Wagner so much they were never improving and never coming back. so this is blue colored glasses of what I personally want to happen, not what will happen.
PG boogie - Perry
SG sheppard - Richmond - Hart
SF Adou - Karter - Burks
PF Z - Cream Abdul Jabbar
C Quaintance - Somto

We get the indiana state kid as a transfer
Dillingham and Edwards declare. Rob goes 7th and Edwards probably goes 42nd
Wagner transfers to like Memphs or Rutgers, Bradshaw goes to USC.
hopefully we hire John Robic and no one attends the games.
We get past first round and get bounced second round and Calipari gets an extension on his lifetime contract
called an Eternity contract and bonuses every time he lies.

Or you'll start a movement to have the new guy fired?
Well, if it’s a new guy we will have a whole team of transfers. If Reed and DJ leave
At minimum we need:

PG Sheppard
Reserve: Fland, Perry
SG Top portal guard- lockdown defender that can shoot.
Reserve: Richmond, Perry, Hart
SF Top portal wing- lockdown defender that can shoot.
Reserve: Knox, Richmond
PF Thiero
Reserve: Burks, Quaintance
C Onyenso
Reserve: Quaintance, Cyril
I told somebody today Adou should play 30 minutes a game at the 4 next year, again if history tells us anything Cal will not do that. This is about the best possible scenario though, if not Reed somehow get DJ back. Top portal SG/Wings are must!

This is a good start. We could potentially add Ivisic and Wagner. A couple of select portal guys and you’ve got a really good roster there
Well that would give you Ivisic, Wagner, Ugo, Burks, Thiero, Sheppard, Hart, plus six freshman. That’s 13. Where are you going to put the portal guys?

Well that would give you Ivisic, Wagner, Ugo, Burks, Thiero, Sheppard, Hart, plus six freshman. That’s 13. Where are you going to put the portal guys?

My guess is that players like Onyenso and Cyril would transfer/de-commit if Ivisic returned, Fland would likely de-commit if Sheppard/Wagner came back. Similar to what Duke dealt with when Filipowski returned and Mgbako de-committed. Same scenario if we get highly-rated portal guys in.

This should've happened last year when Kel'el Ware and Keshad Johnson maybe wanted to come here, but we had Edwards and Bradshaw coming in. Taking the best player should be paramount.

Reactions: gojvc
I’ve only seen Perry play once. He seems significantly better than Ford. I’m no expert. But is is bigger and quicker. He creates very well off the dribble. He shoots very well. And he wants the ball.
You are entitled to your opinion. By chance, did you ever see Travis Ford play in high school ? I did, up close, first row seat. Played against him all thru Jr. Pro and middle school, and same team in high school. He also wanted the ball, you do not average 32 ppg and not. Perry may end up being better than Ford, but we KNOW what Ford did at UK, hopefully Perry does just as good. He has not played ONE college game, let's wait until we see how he does before we start saying he is definitely better than Ford, at this point, he is NOT. Both kids are from WKY, high school legends, love their home school, very talented, can shoot lights out, and both have the same first name. HMM, I think we may have another solid local kid / star on our hands.

Reactions: FtWorthCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT