ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame class

WildcatFan1982

All-American
Dec 4, 2011
Clarksville, IN
Love Willie but country is (or at least used to be) the antithesis ofrock and roll. Inducting Dolly Parton last year really set a precedent. If Dolly and Willie are in, don't Merle Haggard and Waylon Jennings have to follow? What about Loretta Lynn? Garth Brooks?

Reactions: roguemocha
Meanwhile….classic rock bands that should be in…

The J Giels Band
Grand Funk Railroad
Robin Trower
Thin Lizzy
Bad Company
Blue Oyster Cult
Warren Zevon
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Three Dog Night
Jethro Tull
Steppenwolf
Foreigner
Joe Cocker
Kansas
Tommy James and the Shondells

They really should just change the name of the place to The Recorded Music HOF. Then just put opera, jazz, hip hop, bluegrass, and any and every band in there. It damn sure hasn’t been reserved for Rock n Roll for a very long time now.

Last edited:
HOF is just trolling Iron Maiden fans at this point. Arguably the most successful and most important of all the new wave of British heavy metal bands, multiple world tours, millions of albums sold, a rabid worldwide fanbase, a ton of merch purchased over the decades by those millions of fans, a metal icon in Eddie, and a band that's put out solid music in every decade since 1980.

Nah, let's put Missy Elliott in over them. You know what? Cleveland sucks.

The J Giels Band
Grand Funk Railroad
Robin Trower
Thin Lizzy
Bad Company
Blue Oyster Cult
Warren Zevon
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Three Dog Night
Jethro Tull
Steppenwolf
Foreigner
Joe Cocker
Kansas

They really should just change the name of the place to The Recorded Music HOF. Then just put opera, jazz, hip hop, bluegrass, and any and every band in there. It damn sure hasn’t been reserved for Rock n Roll for a very long time now.
None of those should be in besides Steppenwolf and Warren Zevon.

The J Giels Band
Grand Funk Railroad
Robin Trower
Thin Lizzy
Bad Company
Blue Oyster Cult
Warren Zevon
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Three Dog Night
Jethro Tull
Steppenwolf
Foreigner
Joe Cocker
Kansas

Also Styx and Deep Purple

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
I had an “interaction” with the newest drummer from Blue Oyster Cult. Loser. Who comes in a restaurant and asks how the chicken sandwich is five minutes before close?

I said it’s a chicken sandwich bro. You had one before? That’s what it tastes like.

Who has a chicken sandwich that needs description?

He called the next day and said I was rude 😂. You’re the 4th drummer of a shit band. Grow up.

All of y’all make excellent points except roguemocha who’s just being argumentative I think. Willie Nelson is my all time favorite country artist. Not definition of rock hof if you ask me.

Reactions: roguemocha
I had an “interaction” with the newest drummer from Blue Oyster Cult. Loser. Who comes in a restaurant and asks how the chicken sandwich is five minutes before close?

I said it’s a chicken sandwich bro. You had one before? That’s what it tastes like.

Who has a chicken sandwich that needs description?

He called the next day and said I was rude 😂. You’re the 4th drummer of a shit band. Grow up.
Is he any good with the cowbell or still lacking?

All of y’all make excellent points except roguemocha who’s just being argumentative I think. Willie Nelson is my all time favorite country artist. Not definition of rock hof if you ask me.
No I think Journey and Blue Oyster Cult are legitimate shit bands. What’s that other trio people like? They’re awful too. Zeppelin would punch them all in the face and then wax their groupies.

I would argue that Collective Soul belongs. They’ve been going for 25+ years with some great music.
I don't hate 'em but there's nothing influential about Collective Soul that warrants HOF status imo. If they belong, minds well turn the honor on its head and put in Blink-182, 3 Doors Down, Candlebox, and Everclear.

I mean, at some point nearly every band or artist thats had a couple hits and been going at it for a decade or two will be in so it's all moot.

Johnny Winter hasn't even been nominated. At least he wasn't as of 2020. Now that's a crying shame.
Winter's version of Highway 61 is better than Dylan's. His version of Jumpin' Jack Flash in better than the Stones'. His first solo on Miss Ann is my favorite rock guitar solo. Lots of treble. Clean as a whistle. He ties the rhythm in impossible knots and escapes like Houdini. Miss Ann wasn't a hit for him. It wasn't even a hit for Little Richard.

Johnny Winter -- Miss Ann

Typically, people say "That's blues." But they don't make that distinction over prog, heavy metal, folk rock, pop etc.

Reactions: parrott and UK82
Liking their music or not, there are many groups on the above list that are definitely worthy of R&R HOF admission, especially if you simply look at their career as a whole. The current selections are another thing altogether....Rage can GTFO...but I guess it was time for a liberal militant hate America nomination.

Kate Bush fits into the art/alternative rock area and is great. But Missy Elliott is not and never was associated with rock music.

The Rock Hall knows it has a huge problem - the dying/death of rock music. Unlike sports hall of fames, there are not "new" rock artists that will become eligible. So the Rock Hall could either go back and induct more legacy artists, or they could pivot to non-rock artists (Hip Hop, Country) to try to remain relevant. Obviously they are going with the latter.

Deep Purple is already in by the way, as they should be. Whoever mentioned Collective Soul, really?

The Rock HOF has been a joke for many years now. Trying desperate to stay relevant when the entire music industry (at least what is pushed) is a homogenized product that is created to elevate those 'artists' who can be marketed and will be imminently forgettable in a few years.

Factories of songwriters and backing musicians are used for the majority of pop artists so the final product is basically the same with a different face/voice on each track. The music business makes a ton of money off of careers that last < 5 years as the company has all the leverage and reaps the biggest rewards. They don't want anyone who actually writes their own music (they'd have to share royalties-gasp!), has a long enough career to negotiate better terms for the artist, etc. Nowadays, artists only really make some money on the road (hence the ridiculous prices of concert tickets) while the record company makes by far the most money on the actual CD sales.

Reactions: WTF Cat and J_Dee
Kate Bush got inducted because of one good song that was featured on a TV show, HOF is a joke

Also, no doubt, because of her gender. It certainly appears that the HOF is trying purposefully to get more females in.

Three this year.
The year before - Dolly Parton, Carly Simon, Pat Benetar
Year before that - Tina Turner, Carole King, The Go-Gos

I have no problem with this as long as they’re deserving. But many of them are a bit of a reach.

Reactions: WTF Cat
Also, no doubt, because of her gender. It certainly appears that the HOF is trying purposefully to get more females in.

Three this year.
The year before - Dolly Parton, Carly Simon, Pat Benetar
Year before that - Tina Turner, Carole King, The Go-Gos

I have no problem with this as long as they’re deserving. But many of them are a bit of a reach.
Before those it was Nina Simone and Joan Beaz. Neither of those belong. They were both political activists who are not part of the rock genre. Most of Baez "hits" were covers of other peoples music.

Before those it was Nina Simone and Joan Beaz. Neither of those belong. They were both political activists who are not part of the rock genre. Most of Baez "hits" were covers of other peoples music.

Yeah, regarding Joan Baez, I feel that if your act is sitting on a stool, playing an acoustic guitar, you’re not exactly what most would consider a Rock Star.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT