ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting Class could have 4-6 Top 100 players from or moved to Kentucky. Already 3 in the Top 75.

Rideordiewildcat

All-American
Jan 30, 2018
Louisville, Ky (Behind enemy lines)
Cool to see Kentucky kids in the Top 75. Even if some are from other places, some are from here. It looks like there are 6 guys in the 2023 class living in Ky that could be Top 100 and 3 are already in the Top 75. UK needs to start getting involved with players a couple of classes out more frequently. I'm not one of those fans that say every Ky kid deserves a shot at UK. I want us to have the best players, but it does feel special when we can cheer for both like with Miller, Willis, and Dom. Out of the 6, I think there are 2-3 that could for sure play for UK.

One thing I don't want to see is us letting kids leave our backyard that is good enough to play for UK. We have seen that mistake before. Honestly, I would love to see 2-3 of these guys get offers from UK and I think Reed should already have an offer. I know Cal doesn't offer too many 2 years out, but with O and CHin her to help now I think that has to change and is why we lose some recruiting battles. UL seems involved with all of them already and while I know it's because they are usually desperate there are other big names already involved with some of these guys. How many times do we hear Uk got in the mix late and the recruit has a long relationship with another school. I really hope we see some of these guys suit up for the cats and I think we all want Reed here.

we reached out to a 2024 guy yesterday.
I saw that and I hope it is a sign of things to come. He's a 6ft10 young kid and a lot are starting to check him out. However, we have some good talent right here in our own backyard that is going to be ready a year earlier so I hope we start reaching out to them. It would be nice to see us reel Reed in sooner than later. He and the kid ranked in the Top 45 are 2 you don't want to see leave the state or end up at UL.

Reactions: RunninRichie
They may not be good enough. Unless reed is a McDonald's All American caliber player he doesn't need to come here. Fans are already losing their minds over him 3 years before he can even get on campus and unless he wants to sit and wait his turn for a couple of years like Dom Hawkins uk isn't the right place

They may not be good enough. Unless reed is a McDonald's All American caliber player he doesn't need to come here. Fans are already losing their minds over him 3 years before he can even get on campus and unless he wants to sit and wait his turn for a couple of years like Dom Hawkins uk isn't the right place
So Herro and Shai and Darius Miller and WCS shouldn’t have came here?

So Herro and Shai and Darius Miller and WCS shouldn’t have came here?
What? Of course... They were good enough. I'm not sure Reed is , time will tell. Right now he's not uk level
You misread what I said
If he's not a McDonald's level player he shouldn't come here with all of the baggage and fan obsession

Reactions: awf
He's a 6'2" guard that has game. He will make someone a decent player. Hes a 2g and now that this transfer rule has changed he will be competing with proven 22 year olds .

as long as they’re good players I don’t really care where they’re from. It seems that Orlando and Chin are hitting the ground running. I love it. Five star kids who don’t even have an offer are put in Kentucky and their top five

Reactions: cats#1again
We have a cpl ‘23 kids at Ashland who will play D-1 but maybe not P5 level. Colin Porter is talented enough, IMO, but his size & lack of length will likely be a deterrent for bigger schools. I think he can be a quicker & much more athletic version of Travis Ford. VERY good PG at the HS level & will be a good one in college IMO. If he was 6-2 & long he would be a top 20 recruit, IMO.

And, within the last week James Mayor, a 6-10 kid from Bath Co, has reportedly transferred in. He’s raw but looks pretty long & decently skilled. There are no highlights of him other than a 1 min workout clip but from that it looks like there’s definitely something to work with. It’s really hard to draw any conclusions from that but I’d imagine schools like Morehead & EKU would take a look at the very least based on his size alone. Then again, it’s possible that he can’t walk & chew gum in a game setting. Idk. But, he’s an intriguing prospect, IMO, & at least has the potential to play D-1 & maybe P5 if he develops. A lot can or can’t happen in 2 years, lol.

Reactions: YaySports
He's 2 years away and he is already ranked ahead of where Allen was at 65th.

Reactions: Ky grandpa and awf
Cool to see Kentucky kids in the Top 75. Even if some are from other places, some are from here. It looks like there are 6 guys in the 2023 class living in Ky that could be Top 100 and 3 are already in the Top 75. UK needs to start getting involved with players a couple of classes out more frequently. I'm not one of those fans that say every Ky kid deserves a shot at UK. I want us to have the best players, but it does feel special when we can cheer for both like with Miller, Willis, and Dom. Out of the 6, I think there are 2-3 that could for sure play for UK.

One thing I don't want to see is us letting kids leave our backyard that is good enough to play for UK. We have seen that mistake before. Honestly, I would love to see 2-3 of these guys get offers from UK and I think Reed should already have an offer. I know Cal doesn't offer too many 2 years out, but with O and CHin her to help now I think that has to change and is why we lose some recruiting battles. UL seems involved with all of them already and while I know it's because they are usually desperate there are other big names already involved with some of these guys. How many times do we hear Uk got in the mix late and the recruit has a long relationship with another school. I really hope we see some of these guys suit up for the cats and I think we all want Reed here.

Let’s let the coaches make the decisions on when, and if, they should offer a kid. They know what they’re doing, and you do not.

Reactions: awf and cats#1again
Let’s let the coaches make the decisions on when, and if, they should offer a kid. They know what they’re doing, and you do not.
No shit Sherlock. I'm just saying I hope one of the changes Cal also adds is to start approaching any players we are interested in 2 years out like most schools instead of the year before. We have lost out on a good deal of kids who had relationships formed before we entered the picture.

I think with Chin and O here now we will start to see us get involved earlier. That's all I was saying. I have supported UK and Cal even though the nightmare last season when a lot jumped ship. I think he is making great changes and I think he will keep evolving. It seems like that crap year has lightened a fire under his ass.

Ok? In two years chin and antigua will probably be getting top 5-10 players.
I hope the best for the kid, he really needs to improve his ball handling and focus on being a pg.
I think they will do great however there is a certain amount of those top 5-10 kids that will go to the G League or the other options and we need more than just OAD guys to be successful.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
What? Of course... They were good enough. I'm not sure Reed is , time will tell. Right now he's not uk level
You misread what I said
If he's not a McDonald's level player he shouldn't come here with all of the baggage and fan obsession

What baggage are you referring to ?

I've thought for decades that it should be sort of an unwritten rule that Mr. Basketball in KY gets a scholarship offer to play at U.K. Some will take it; some won't ... but you'll probably end up with a couple of KY kids on the U.K. roster every year. And, of course, Calipari doesn't play more than an 8-man rotation, so it wouldn't affect the team's W-L record in the slightest.

Just MHO, of course.

Go 'Cats !

He is really good, but if he were not legacy and not from Ky the talk would not be near as high as it is. I want him but he is not a franchise player. He plays in eastern Ky and is ranked 2nd in Ky in his class

He is really good, but if he were not legacy and not from Ky the talk would not be near as high as it is. I want him but he is not a franchise player. He plays in eastern Ky and is ranked 2nd in Ky in his class
To be fair they are saying it will probably be one of the best KY classes since they started ranking them. That article said it already looks like 2023 will be better than 2008 and Darius Miller's class.

I'm never like play a kid just because he is from Ky like some do with Allen and often we put lofty expectations on Ky players that aren't good enough. However, Reed looks to be good enough which is a nice change as I think it is more important when the kid is homegrown. If he fades over the next 2 years I won't really care, but he looks to be on an upward trajectory. He is already ranked 65th and the guy in front of him also from Ky is 44th. I don't see it as a bad thing to be 2nd in the state when the other guy is Top 50 overall in the country.

He is in 2023 so he might still add an inch or two and end up 6ft3 or 6ft4. We will just have to see if he continues to get better, but with guys leaving for the G League and Cal adding some guys that it seems like he hopes to be multi-year players like Ware and Fletcher I say why not with Reed.

We have a cpl ‘23 kids at Ashland who will play D-1 but maybe not P5 level. Colin Porter is talented enough, IMO, but his size & lack of length will likely be a deterrent for bigger schools. I think he can be a quicker & much more athletic version of Travis Ford. VERY good PG at the HS level & will be a good one in college IMO. If he was 6-2 & long he would be a top 20 recruit, IMO.

And, within the last week James Mayor, a 6-10 kid from Bath Co, has reportedly transferred in. He’s raw but looks pretty long & decently skilled. There are no highlights of him other than a 1 min workout clip but from that it looks like there’s definitely something to work with. It’s really hard to draw any conclusions from that but I’d imagine schools like Morehead & EKU would take a look at the very least based on his size alone. Then again, it’s possible that he can’t walk & chew gum in a game setting. Idk. But, he’s an intriguing prospect, IMO, & at least has the potential to play D-1 & maybe P5 if he develops. A lot can or can’t happen in 2 years, lol.
I’m wondering since UK is now going to use 13 scholarships they won’t look at a kid like Porter? Of course a kid like Porter would know going in he might have to fight tooth and nail for PT.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I’m wondering since UK is now going to use 13 scholarships they won’t look at a kid like Porter? Of course a kid like Porter would know going in he might have to fight tooth and nail for PT.
I think a lot of coaches would give him a shot but Cal is so hung up on reach & wingspan that idk if he’d even give a guy like Porter a glance. And, that’s a shame, IMO. That kid already has a great understanding of the game & is skilled in every area. Clutch as hell as a SO too. And, from what I can tell he’s the type of kid who would embrace any & all challenges. He plays on a high level AAU team against the best competition in the country so it’s not like he’s only doing it against Fairview & East Carter.

Ashland played one of the toughest schedules in the state this year & he was a huge reason they made a FF run at Rupp. I really think he’ll be a solid college PG wherever he ends up playing & could absolutely help out a school like UK. I wouldn’t expect much his first cpl years maybe but I could see him having a Dominic Hawkins type impact at the very least & that’s probably underselling him a good bit. I hate sounding like such a delusional homer but he can flat out play. I misread the post about the Mayor kid being in the ‘23 class. It said he was a SO but they meant a rising SO & I thought they meant he’d be a rising JR. So, he’s a ‘24 kid.

I think a lot of coaches would give him a shot but Cal is so hung up on reach & wingspan that idk if he’d even give a guy like Porter a glance. And, that’s a shame, IMO. That kid already has a great understanding of the game & is skilled in every area. Clutch as hell as a SO too. And, from what I can tell he’s the type of kid who would embrace any & all challenges. He plays on a high level AAU team against the best competition in the country so it’s not like he’s only doing it against Fairview & East Carter.

Ashland played one of the toughest schedules in the state this year & he was a huge reason they made a FF run at Rupp. I really think he’ll be a solid college PG wherever he ends up playing & could absolutely help out a school like UK. I wouldn’t expect much his first cpl years maybe but I could see him having a Dominic Hawkins type impact at the very least & that’s probably underselling him a good bit. I hate sounding like such a delusional homer but he can flat out play. I misread the post about the Mayor kid being in the ‘23 class. It said he was a SO but they meant a rising SO & I thought they meant he’d be a rising JR. So, he’s a ‘24 kid.
Smashcat said he wasn't a Power 5 type player. No disrespect to him, I have never seen him play, but if he isn't good enough for Power 5, why would UK recruit him? as you know UK is the cream of the crop and a lot of very talented players can't play here. Would he be willing to walk on and prove his worth? Just a thought

Smashcat said he wasn't a Power 5 type player. No disrespect to him, I have never seen him play, but if he isn't good enough for Power 5, why would UK recruit him? as you know UK is the cream of the crop and a lot of very talented players can't play here. Would he be willing to walk on and prove his worth? Just a thought
I think you might be referring to my first post. I said he might not be P5 but only bc he’s 5-10 & doesn’t have much length. Every other part of his game is P5 worthy, IMO. I watched every game he played this year. No way he walks on anywhere, IMO. He’s a mid-major level starter for sure, IMO. Maybe not as a FR but I could see him as a 3 year starter somewhere like EKU or Morehead. I think he could HELP at a school like UK but wouldn’t be a focal part or anything, most likely. But now, if he grows to 6-1 or 6-2 then that changes everything.

Hawk played a good bit his Fr year. Only his Soph yr did he not play.

I saw that and I hope it is a sign of things to come. He's a 6ft10 young kid and a lot are starting to check him out. However, we have some good talent right here in our own backyard that is going to be ready a year earlier so I hope we start reaching out to them. It would be nice to see us reel Reed in sooner than later. He and the kid ranked in the Top 45 are 2 you don't want to see leave the state or end up at UL.
Or UT or Indiana or Auburn

Reactions: westerncat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT