ADVERTISEMENT

1st Year Players Draft

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008
Well, the MLB draft is upon us today. Most projections have AJ Reed going in the early rounds. Not sure exactly who all our commitments are and how good they are but we'll also have to keep an eye on them. Coverage of the draft is tonight at 6PM Eastern on MLB Network.

AJ Reed the first UK player to go in this years draft (not unexpected) as he goes 42 overall to the Houston Astros. Very happy for AJ and his family!

Wonder if Reed will be a hitter or pitcher. I'm guessing hitter.
Would love to see a player brought along to be both, playing in the field (or even just DH'ing) the days he doesn't pitch (SP). Or even play the field and be a reliever (RP) also. That flexibility would be like having an extra player on your roster.

There have been some players over the years who coming out of college were really good at both.
Seems like the Dodgers drafted a guy 15 or so years ago that could have went either way, I think they made him a RP.
Jim Abbott, despite the 1 arm, was a really good hitter in college I think.

I've also thought if a team could carry 2 very good hitting catchers (i.e. Posey & Mauer) then they could let them alternate between C and another position (say 1B) so both were in the lineup just about everyday, and you would save a roster spot (since your backup C is a starter at another position).

Not sure why they don't attempt to get some guys to pitch and also do some hitting. I suppose it is just a matter of time. Pitchers spend too much time learning and becoming the best possible pitcher rather than learning to hit.

Reed will be a 1st baseman and a hitter.

Originally posted by Comebakatz3:
AJ Reed the first UK player to go in this years draft (not unexpected) as he goes 42 overall to the Houston Astros. Very happy for AJ and his family!
Greeneville (Tn) has a beautiful baseball stadium and, I believe, a trainer league team which is a member of the Houston Astros organization. Think theres any chance A.J. might play some of his early games there? I might mosey over and see him if so.

This post was edited on 6/7 8:40 PM by TnKat

Originally posted by TnKat:

Greeneville (Tn) has a beautiful baseball stadium and, I believe, a trainer league team which is a member of the Houston Astros organization. Think theres any chance A.J. might play some of his early games there? I might mosey over and see him if so.

Yep... I definitely think that he will be heading there. That is a rookie league. AJ might be able to be put in single A, but I imagine that for the first part of the year he will play rookie ball in Greeneville with the Astros. So you should be able to see him. Their games start on June 19th.

Here is an update on some of UK's recruits and others I found:

Zachary Pop - 23rd round to the Blue Jays, 684 overall
Jared Proctor - Undrafted
Justin Lewis - 19th round to the Padres, 567 overall
Zach Logue - Undrafted
Riley Mahan - 40th round to the Giants, 1198 overall
Gabe Moore - Undrafted
Bradley Schaenzer - Undrafted
Evan White - Undrafted
Marshall Gei - Undrafted
Jake Hamilton - Undrafted

Former UK player Matt Pope went in the 39th round to the Marlins.

Extremely disappointing draft for the recruiting class. I think that is a very bad sign for the actual strength of our class. Last year we had two guys drafted in the second round. They didn't play for us, but it showed how well we recruited. This year, we have no where near that and most are undrafted. Very scary.

Here is an update on some of UK's recruits and others I found:

Zachary Pop - 23rd round to the Blue Jays, 684 overall
Jared Proctor - Undrafted
Justin Lewis - 19th round to the Padres, 567 overall
Zach Logue - Undrafted
Riley Mahan - 40th round to the Giants, 1198 overall
Gabe Moore - Undrafted
Bradley Schaenzer - Undrafted
Evan White - Undrafted
Marshall Gei - Undrafted
Jake Hamilton - Undrafted

Former UK player Matt Pope went in the 39th round to the Marlins.

Extremely disappointing draft for the recruiting class. I think that is a very bad sign for the actual strength of our class. Last year we had two guys drafted in the second round. They didn't play for us, but it showed how well we recruited. This year, we have no where near that and most are undrafted. Very scary.
On the bright side, they should all wind up on campus, Justin Lewis might consider going, but that's about it !

Originally posted by TnKat:

Yep... I definitely think that he will be heading there. That is a rookie league. AJ might be able to be put in single A, but I imagine that for the first part of the year he will play rookie ball in Greeneville with the Astros. So you should be able to see him. Their games start on June 19th.
Thanks Comebakatz. I'll check it out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT