ADVERTISEMENT

“This is the best shooting team I’ve ever been a part of”

Cal always says its about the kids, but after 2012, it wasn't about the kids, it was about him and creating this legacy.

He didn't see it as the Kentucky program, it was HIS program, and apparently he surrounded himself with people who let him think that.

As far as I'm concerned whatever he did here is tarnished by his ego and his faux humility. Maybe 10 years from now people will look back, bring him back and allow him to have a speech where he talks about all the great things he did here and then ultimately turn it into a plea for his statue next to Rupp and sainthood in the Catholic church. But for now, I don't want to hear a peep out of the guy for a long time.

Pope is built differently, and lets be honest - its why he got the job. Barnhart has a history of hiring the replacement to address the most glaring weakness of his predecessor.

The glaring differences are obvious - and intentional.

Last edited:
Cal always says its about the kids, but after 2012, it wasn't about the kids, it was about him and creating this legacy.

He didn't see it as the Kentucky program, it was HIS program, and apparently he surrounded himself with people who let him think that.

As far as I'm concerned whatever he did here is tarnished by his ego and his faux humility. Maybe 10 years from now people will look back, bring him back and allow him to have a speech where he talks about all the great things he did here and then ultimately turn it into a plea for his statue next to Rupp and sainthood in the Catholic church. But for now, I don't want to hear a peep out of the guy for a long time.

Pope is built differently, and lets be honest - its why he got the job. Barnhart has a history of hiring the replacement to address the most glaring weakness of his predecessor.

Excellent, excellent post!

Well I didn't mean to start something with the nicknames ... I actually think they're super corny. Just wanted to do a callback, haha. I had a Pitino's Bombinos hat back in 91.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It finally feels like we have a coach and team playing to win for us and the program again. It seemed like under Cal it was all about NBA. Every season was getting to know new freshman who wanted to leave before they got here. Yeah we wanna win but the season is just to show off for scouts with a little talk about wanting to win some games but it’s not a big deal if we don’t win anything.
This! So glad Cal is gone! I’m even more excited about Mark Pope being our head coach. He’s a great basketball mind and a legacy as he was the captain of the best team in our history. IMO, the best team in college basketball history.

I honestly believe this team is really gonna surprise some people. An elite shooting team with rugged and versatile big men. Not to mention, this is the most experienced team we’ve EVER had. That’s incredible to even think about. Wouldn’t shock me at all to see them in the Final Four.

Agreed, Cal felt UK basketball was about him and his ego. It was sooo damn obvious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT