ADVERTISEMENT

“If you don’t have a post presence, your team is a fraud. It is...”

catrecruit

Senior
Apr 14, 2006
--John Calipari

And I think he definitely knew it all year and that's possibly a reason he became somewhat defensive with the public/fans/media etc.

Reactions: chevyman 50
I had been saying it all year. It was our weakness. Losing out on Bamba was a significant outcome. Richards was known to be a project but the typical elevation done for any of our recruits made expectations for him unrealistic. I suppose Cal had to keep playing him hoping that some growth would occur. It didn't. And, quite frankly, it didn't for Diallo either. I told you all he was going to have great games against the mid-majors in the tourney. Buffalo was no surprise but I thought the jury was still out when he faced major college team players. His lack of any contribution against K-State was my fear and concern which proved true. So, actually two weaknesses that Cal stuck with all season and it cost us several games.

--John Calipari

And I think he definitely knew it all year and that's possibly a reason he became somewhat defensive with the public/fans/media etc.
Our team had a post presence. PJ Washington. When you start 4-5 freshmen and your top 8 players are freshmen and sophomores, there are going to be good weeks and bad weeks. As for Bamba, I am glad Calipari didn’t get him. Circumstantial evidence suggests Bamba’s recruitment was not straightforward. This is a very vulnerable time for programs that recruit guys like Bamba. UK basketball is bigger than any 1 player or any 1 season. It’s time for our fans to appreciate what we have here.

Well, we're paying Cal $8 million a year to make sure we have a post presence.

Zero excuses for losing to Kansas St.
That's 2 different subjects. We blew the Kansas State game. For 2 days, I have been rebutting loser posters here who are trying to blame this ugly loss on the referees. It wasn’t the referees. That’s nonsense. When you commit 15 turnovers and score only 16 field goals in a Sweet Sixteen game, you are generally going to lose the game. But if you are saying Calipari isn’t a good basketball coach, or that he doesn’t deserve a big contract, then you are not a student of college basketball. Calipari is 1 of the top college basketball coaches and innovators of this era. Now, granted, this obviously wasn’t 1 of his best teams. But the season was played without Baker, and most of it without Vanderbilt. Still, the improvement from November to March was very clear. None of this gives childish fans an excuse to throw our coach under the bus without getting pushback from more mature fans who know better.

PJ is a post presence. What baffled me is how long it took for us to consciously get him the ball in the low post, then when we finally do, he goes and shoots 8-20 on free throws. Go figure.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
That's 2 different subjects. We blew the Kansas State game. For 2 days, I have been rebutting loser posters here who are trying to blame this ugly loss on the referees. It wasn’t the referees. That’s nonsense. When you commit 15 turnovers and score only 16 field goals in a Sweet Sixteen game, you are generally going to lose the game. But if you are saying Calipari isn’t a good basketball coach, or that he doesn’t deserve a big contract, then you are not a student of college basketball. Calipari is 1 of the top college basketball coaches and innovators of this era. Now, granted, this obviously wasn’t 1 of his best teams. But the season was played without Baker, and most of it without Vanderbilt. Still, the improvement from November to March was very clear. None of this gives childish fans an excuse to throw our coach under the bus without getting pushback from more mature fans who know better.

I certainly am not going to blame officials. I’ll blame them for the UNC game but not this one. Yeah, they made bad calls but we had so many chances at the free throw line.

If we didn’t shoot free throws, we would have been blown out.

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
Just stop.

PJ does some things well, but he isnt even close to what Cal would have in mind concerning that quote. Neither is a JV or SKJ.
If you understood the game of basketball, you would know that Washington was this team’s post player. Why does the truth bother you?

I despise the phrase "throwing someone under the bus", but Cal needs to Coach better.
Anyone that knows basketball knew that we needed to play an uptempo game against Kansas St.
Well, everyone except for our coaching staff apparently. We played exactly like State wanted. A low scoring, slow paced, foul fest.

Mind boggling that we didn't press and push the ball. Instead we walked it up the floor and dribbled the air out of the ball.

Cal needs to quit going on every tv and radio show sticking out his chest for beating a 12 and 13 seed, and perhaps focus on putting together a game plan to beat 9th seeded Kansas State.

I certainly am not going to blame officials. I’ll blame them for the UNC game but not this one. Yeah, they made bad calls but we had so many chances at the free throw line.

If we didn’t shoot free throws, we would have been blown out.
The referees called 30 fouls against Kansas State. By the time this game was actually decided in the final minutes, 3 disqualified Kansas State players were sitting on their bench with 5 fouls. When we had the lead late in the game, we made bad decisions with the basketball. Our players committed 15 turnovers while scoring only 16 field goals. This loss was on our players. Sometimes freshmen play like freshmen. We blew the game in the finals minutes, which has been characteristic for this team in case anyone missed the season.

I had been saying it all year. It was our weakness. Losing out on Bamba was a significant outcome. Richards was known to be a project but the typical elevation done for any of our recruits made expectations for him unrealistic. I suppose Cal had to keep playing him hoping that some growth would occur. It didn't. And, quite frankly, it didn't for Diallo either. I told you all he was going to have great games against the mid-majors in the tourney. Buffalo was no surprise but I thought the jury was still out when he faced major college team players. His lack of any contribution against K-State was my fear and concern which proved true. So, actually two weaknesses that Cal stuck with all season and it cost us several games.
Wow thanks for telling us.

I despise the phrase "throwing someone under the bus", but Cal needs to Coach better.
Anyone that knows basketball knew that we needed to play an uptempo game against Kansas St.
Well, everyone except for our coaching staff apparently. We played exactly like State wanted. A low scoring, slow paced, foul fest.

Mind boggling that we didn't press and push the ball. Instead we walked it up the floor and dribbled the air out of the ball.

Cal needs to quit going on every tv and radio show sticking out his chest for beating a 12 and 13 seed, and perhaps focus on putting together a game plan to beat 9th seeded Kansas State.
LOL! This was not 1 of Calipari’s best seasons. No argument there. But let’s be totally honest. Our top 8 players were freshmen and sophomores. The improvement from November to March was obvious. Baker missed the whole season, and Vanderbilt missed most of it. But we reached the Sweet Sixteen anyway. Still, some of our fans cry like babies about our team, and treat our coach like he is disposable trash. It’s pathetic. Are these people so young that they can’t remember what came before Calipari? Honestly, some of our fans are so spolied that they don’t know how lucky we are. 99% of the schools in this country would give anything to have our coach and our basketball program.

If you understood the game of basketball, you would know that Washington was this team’s post player. Why does the truth bother you?

You are making yourself look foolish with these comments.

A team depending on an undersized 6'6" forward to be their go to post presence for offense and defense is precisely the type of team Cal is describing with that quote.

The team needed NR to either be that guy or at some point develop into that guy. It didnt happen.

With that said...it was not a factor in the KS loss. It has been other times this season and wouldve been deeper in the tourney.

Last edited:
--John Calipari

Nick Richards can become the post presence we need next year if he will get stronger by working out in the weight room this summer. He needs a coach or a trainer to just pass him the ball 2-3 hours a day, squeeze a rubber ball every day, give him lob passes around the rim, and catch a lot of bounce passes. Some exercises I use to use with players with weak unsure hands...JMO

--John Calipari

It’s not like he wasn’t trying to bring Bamba aboard. Fans act like Cal can point at a player and he commits on the spot. The reality is that recruiting is difficult and even harder when some fans spend much of the season spitting on Cal and specific players,

Reactions: The-Hack
The referees called 30 fouls against Kansas State. By the time this game was actually decided in the final minutes, 3 disqualified Kansas State players were sitting on their bench with 5 fouls. When we had the lead late in the game, we made bad decisions with the basketball. Our players committed 15 turnovers while scoring only 16 field goals. This loss was on our players. Sometimes freshmen play like freshmen. We blew the game in the finals minutes, which has been characteristic for this team in case anyone missed the season.

Totally agree. No one to blame but ourselves. Dumb plays and bad effort.

How was Cal to know that Nick Richards' would've been so deplorable - easily one of the worst post players during Cal's tenure.

Let me start by saying I love having coach cal here. I wouldn’t want anyone else. I’m not one of these “I wish he would leave” nonsense posters, but he isn’t above criticism either. No doubt the players stunk on Thursday night & we might not have won regardless of the coach, but he got out coached that night. To Bruce freakin’ Weber no less. Trapping @ the end when we haven’t trapped all game giving them a wide open winning layup was a horrendous decision. They hadn’t even been able to score on our regular defense, & letting sga walk the ball up the court killed us. I’m no fan of unc (I loathe them), but they always dictate the pace of the game. They never play slow. It is possible to speed up the game & for some reason cal sux @ making his players do this.

Missing on Bamba really killed us.We really need a shot blocker with a few decent post moves.I'm not sure Richards will ever become that.

Still, some of our fans cry like babies about our team, and treat our coach like he is disposable trash.
That is certainly not my intent, but he is the man that recruited and designed this team, not the players and not the fans. Whatever the team looks like is all on Cal. We are always young, because that is how Cal wants it,period. Can not blame that on the fans. What we do get tired of is Cal saying after every game," we are young, it takes time". We all know that! We all also know this is how you choose to construct the team. So whatever heat Cal is getting is of his own making.

Reactions: catben
Let me start by saying I love having coach cal here. I wouldn’t want anyone else. I’m not one of these “I wish he would leave” nonsense posters, but he isn’t above criticism either. No doubt the players stunk on Thursday night & we might not have won regardless of the coach, but he got out coached that night. To Bruce freakin’ Weber no less. Trapping @ the end when we haven’t trapped all game giving them a wide open winning layup was a horrendous decision. They hadn’t even been able to score on our regular defense, & letting sga walk the ball up the court killed us. I’m no fan of unc (I loathe them), but they always dictate the pace of the game. They never play slow. It is possible to speed up the game & for some reason cal sux @ making his players do this.
And here is where Cal's ego and/or arrogance hurts him. Instead of him dictating pace of play, he thinks he can play the other teams style and beat them, works a lot of the time, but times like Thursday, we are sent home and should not be.

Cal's FF teams and title squad all have one thing in common, the front court was more talented than the back court. We won a title with Marcus Teague and Doron Lamb in the back court, good solid players but hardly elite max contract caliber talent. That year the bread was buttered by TJ, AD, MKG.

Also, the talent overall of the teams that made deeper runs was more polished in terms of skill sets. Recently, Cal seems to have an affinity for taking on projects. Raw athletes with all the potential in the world but no defined or reliable ability. That's not to say they won't improve and become something, but it does nothing for the team/program if that occurs in the league.

is Cal not allowed to have lows?

what's with this outbursts....

and no, we did not have post presence. JV needed to be healthy 4, and NR needs to be real 5. Also SKJ and WG needs to continue to develop.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
There will always be defenders and complainers. I don't see myself as that right or left. I love Cal as our coach but that doesn't mean he or any players are beyond comment. Some here will put down the poster when a negative statement occurs. I try to be objective and factual.

It is a fact regarding Richards (all you have to do is look at comments about Richards when recruiting was still in process and especially when many thought we would land Bamba too, that he was a project). I saw a poster above saying if Richards works on his strength, etc. he could be a force next season. I agree. That is what is meant by a "project." Someone who has potential and will require work. So, see I am not down on Richards as a future contributor. However, any objective rational person not wearing their blue tinged glasses could see his issues at present. So, I do question the continual starting role and frequently putting us in a deficit early on. Sometimes the first few minutes of a game can at least set a positive rhythm even if you fall behind.

The other poster explaining that PJ is a power forward is absolutely correct. He had to play in the center because of our issues. And, of course if he hit his free throws even with our poor play overall, we would have won. That's why I expect Loyola to beat K-State. K-State does not look like a good ball club to me and there were so many defensive lapses, and allowing K-State to basically run their offense which should never have happened.

The sad truth, no matter how some here want to spin it, was we were handed a final four on a silver platter and blew it. It still hurts.

And here is where Cal's ego and/or arrogance hurts him. Instead of him dictating pace of play, he thinks he can play the other teams style and beat them, works a lot of the time, but times like Thursday, we are sent home and should not be.
I completely agree with this! Cal is great, but we already heard this year how they’re all freshmen & he should’ve called a timeout @ the end of the game. He did it again, & said the exact same thing on the postgame. Like the pace of play thing. I just wish he would learn from mistakes.

Reactions: Jazzycat
He said it’s not the post presence Cal typically likes to have (defensively). PJ WASNT the post presence Cal typically likes to have.

That’s the truth
Unlike you, I can’t read Calipari’s mind or definitively interpret all of his prior comments. But I do understand the fraud of taking Calipari’s comment made about bigs at another time under other circumstances and using it to criticize Calipari after an emotional loss. Washington was our post player in the NCAAT. He may not be the post player you and the other complainer want, but he is the post player we had left after the freshman Richards underachieved and Vanderbilt was hurt.

Last edited:
I completely agree with this! Cal is great, but we already heard this year how they’re all freshmen & he should’ve called a timeout @ the end of the game. He did it again, & said the exact same thing on the postgame. Like the pace of play thing. I just wish he would learn from mistakes.

you do know that he is directing all the hate onto him right?

If you also listen, you will know that players all knew what they were supposed to do AND they actually came off it. You could tell in the after game interview, Cal almost broke down in detail how it should have been all been played out...then he quickly changed to "oh but its my fault. I should have called timeout."

Emotion almost got the better of him.

Reactions: Blue Decade
That is certainly not my intent, but he is the man that recruited and designed this team, not the players and not the fans. Whatever the team looks like is all on Cal.
Perspective is a complicated thing, isn’t it? Lest you can’t remember now because of the fog of disappointment, Calipari is also the man who recruited and designed a national championship team, 4 Final Four teams, and 6 Elite Eight teams at UK. But those things didn’t happen this week, so let’s just forget about them.

There will always be defenders and complainers. I don't see myself as that right or left. I love Cal as our coach but that doesn't mean he or any players are beyond comment. Some here will put down the poster when a negative statement occurs. I try to be objective and factual.

It is a fact regarding Richards (all you have to do is look at comments about Richards when recruiting was still in process and especially when many thought we would land Bamba too, that he was a project). I saw a poster above saying if Richards works on his strength, etc. he could be a force next season. I agree. That is what is meant by a "project." Someone who has potential and will require work. So, see I am not down on Richards as a future contributor. However, any objective rational person not wearing their blue tinged glasses could see his issues at present. So, I do question the continual starting role and frequently putting us in a deficit early on. Sometimes the first few minutes of a game can at least set a positive rhythm even if you fall behind.

The other poster explaining that PJ is a power forward is absolutely correct. He had to play in the center because of our issues. And, of course if he hit his free throws even with our poor play overall, we would have won. That's why I expect Loyola to beat K-State. K-State does not look like a good ball club to me and there were so many defensive lapses, and allowing K-State to basically run their offense which should never have happened.

The sad truth, no matter how some here want to spin it, was we were handed a final four on a silver platter and blew it. It still hurts.

They got to run their offense because the refs were blowing the whistle every time down due to their inabilities to get up and down the court. It was one foul after another... has any other game been like that?

you do know that he is directing all the hate onto him right?

If you also listen, you will know that players all knew what they were supposed to do AND they actually came off it. You could tell in the after game interview, Cal almost broke down in detail how it should have been all been played out...then he quickly changed to "oh but its my fault. I should have called timeout."

Emotion almost got the better of him.
Oh I’m fully aware of him directing everything on him. It doesn’t matter to me. A coach should be able to tell his players to play faster or sit, & a coach can tell his players to call a timeout. This crap of everything being up to them is a joke

My point wasn’t what actually happened. My point was I’m tired of hearing the same excuses. The calling timeout @ the end of a game should’ve been covered a bunch. It’s not the first time that’s happened

ADVERTISEMENT