ADVERTISEMENT

“Breakdown of Potential Cal Replacements”

Seems like the lists we've had on here as well.

I get the feeling we are keeping Cal, but would like to get one of the young bloods in Golden or the ISU coach

Lifetime contract should do it. And it would make BBN happy.
I hope Mitch learned his lesson on “lifetime contracts”. Look at where it has led us. Cal was so comfortable in his job security that he legitimately didn’t think 5 years with one NCAA tourney win would be a problem. This situation should never happen again.

I’ve thought for a while that Tommy Lloyd and Nate Oats are 1a and 1b as far as combination of style of play and recruiting ability.

Not sure if Lloyd fits the other aspects of the job, but I would be finding out if I were Mitch.

Agreed, we need a young hungry guy with a lot of energy if Wright/Donovan are just pipe dreams. This is why Scott Drew doesn't excite me, he just seems older and bland - and not a good fit with BBN.

We desperately need to find the next, young Rick Pitino out there.

I’ve thought for a while that Tommy Lloyd and Nate Oats are 1a and 1b as far as combination of style of play and recruiting ability.

Not sure if Lloyd fits the other aspects of the job, but I would be finding out if I were Mitch.

Maybe it will change this year but I’ve watched oats up close refuse to do anything but have his teams fire up 3s. No change of they aren’t falling. The type of offense that will lead to numerous early exits IMO.

Reactions: catben
Maybe it will change this year but I’ve watched oats up close refuse to do anything but have his teams fire up 3s. No change of they aren’t falling. The type of offense that will lead to numerous early exits IMO.
I don’t know. He’s still pretty young and seems to me to be a hair away from putting it all together. Time will tell.

Great list. I suspect that Golden’s short career with no deep runs so far will turn off many fans, but he’s just the type to dive in with both feet, a la RP in the 90s.
Yeah, I’d much rather take a shot with Golden (if he is even interested) over someone like Scott drew. I know Drew has. NC and built the program but his teams have been pretty meh since the NC.

I would be happy with either Drew or Lloyd. I don't get why people don't like Drew. He won a national championship at Baylor.
I too was a Drew fan, until I looked closer. His last 6 tournaments, he's made it to the S16 just once (the year he won it), just twice to the S16 the past 9 tournaments.

Yeah, I’d much rather take a shot with Golden (if he is even interested) over someone like Scott drew. I know Drew has. NC and built the program but his teams have been pretty meh since the NC.
The unknown, always has a higher ceiling, but also a lower floor. But if we get "the floor", then we just try again.
So let's shoot for the highest ceiling.

Do we need to throw the bank at Lloyd?
He is the coach I want!!

He runs a modern style of offense and defense, he’s young and energetic and he is a great recruiter of HS kids AND international players. His only drawback right now is he hasn’t made a deep run in the tournament.

But I would think at UK, that would change QUICKLY. Is Mitch smart enough to go after him????

Reactions: ukfan041
I've stated prior that Oats was nothing more than Calipari-Lite. Just something about him makes me NOT want him at all.

I don't see how we can fire Cal. I mean he's a philanthropist to all the guys who are trying to end generational poverty!
He is a great humanitarian and benefactor for the State of Kentucky.
He's a great showman and motivator of people to embrace all things helpful to these young players!

Just because he can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag is besides the point!

What are we thinking??

Reactions: jrpross
I’d be ok with just about any coach in this thread but I don’t get the Golden enthusiasm yet. He just had his best season of his young career and it was 24-12 with a first round exit. Not saying he might not be a great coach but he does NOT have the resume to be at Kentucky.

Sans a homerun hire (and would include Lloyd as a homerun), should consider mid-major guys who have high likelihood of sustaining success. Would include: Abdur-Rahim, Patrick Kelsey and Shaheen Holloway in that group. The young hungry guys with something to prove.

Reactions: crestcat
We need an excellent young “up and coming” new coach who’s shown he’s successful with a pedigree—and will to take on the challenge of KY!
I’d hire Bryce Drew!!

Reactions: rivercatinfl
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT