ADVERTISEMENT

‘The better my players are, I seem to coach better ‘

one of his strengths is taking multiple stars and getting them to play with and for each other. Not every coach can do that. Other coaches are better at getting 2 and 3 stars to exceed expectations like Brad Stephens when he was at Butler. Both are a skill set that can help you exceed. I don’t see anything wrong with what he said. In fact, I like seeing him admit it because maybe he is getting back to what he was doing when he first got here.

I mean, he's not wrong. The better players you have, the more you can do things that other squads can't. That holds true in all performance sports and arts.

If you have better musicians, you can play harder and more intricate music. Better dancers? More complex and flashy routines.

This is just common sense. But what separates good coaches from great coaches, is using what you have. I've seen incredible middle school band directors and coaches have basically not much to work with and churn out some amazing groups. Almost anyone can win and coach with great talent.

thanks-obvious.gif

To me what he is really saying intentionally or not is:

' All my failures since 2012 have been because my players just sucked.'

Now sure, some of you think he's actually starting to come to an epiphany that his coaching is suspect.
But I have my doubts. The guy just spouts out words and catch phrases that he thinks sounds good to the public. And nothing is ever an indictment of his ego. Just words and deflections.

one of his strengths is taking multiple stars and getting them to play with and for each other. Not every coach can do that. Other coaches are better at getting 2 and 3 stars to exceed expectations like Brad Stephens when he was at Butler. Both are a skill set that can help you exceed. I don’t see anything wrong with what he said. In fact, I like seeing him admit it because maybe he is getting back to what he was doing when he first got here.
Exceed and Cal.

Funny stuff

Possibly. And no one can knock his recruiting ability and even to a degree his talent/ego management. That is not always easy. He's very good at that part.

It's his player development and roster construction/management that bites him in the butt at times. That and his stubborn reliance on outdated offensive schema.

I only care what he has to say if Ivisic plays.

He hyped the kid up all summer.

Now get the freaking kid here, Cal. You get paid to figure it out.

Also, for you deflection losers who have been saying, "It's not Cal's fault", you're dead wrong. It's his job to make sure the kid can come here in the first place.

I only care what he has to say if Ivisic plays.

He hyped the kid up all summer.

Now get the freaking kid here, Cal. You get paid to figure it out.

Also, for you deflection losers who have been saying, "It's not Cal's fault", you're dead wrong. It's his job to make sure the kid can come here in the first place.
Why do you have to be so mean? Lol…most of the board, even the ones who hate Cal right now seem to agree that this one isn’t truly his fault. Everybody here is a loser now?

The better the players are that he recruits the more it hides his inability to coach. If the players are extremely talented he just rolls the balls out and lets them play. If they are not he doesn’t know where to start or how to make them better because he cannot adapt. He is not a complete basketball coach. And regardless if we win it or not this upcoming season, I hope it’s his last.

Possibly. And no one can knock his recruiting ability and even to a degree his talent/ego management. That is not always easy. He's very good at that part.

It's his player development and roster construction/management that bites him in the butt at times. That and his stubborn reliance on outdated offensive schema.
Actually, I can knock Cal's recruiting. Look what his recruiting classes looked like when Antiqua wasn’t on his staff, now compare the classes UK had when O was on the staff. Cal is the guy that gets all the credit, but O is doing the work.

Not to mention, there's only one other school out there that is trying to gather 5 high school kids every year, the rest of cbb is trying to get kids that they can develop and keep in their systems.

It’s hilarious though how so many people think Cal is the only guy that can get talented kids to play together. That is such a farce. Heck, Bill Self has a bunch of thugs every year, to me, that’s harder to do, but nevertheless, it's really not hard to do when these kids know there is a pot of gold wating on them at the end of the season.

But it’s not like Cal hasn't been dealing with turmoil, seems that's been an issue on his last 3 teams.

Last edited:
Why do you have to be so mean? Lol…most of the board, even the ones who hate Cal right now seem to agree that this one isn’t truly his fault. Everybody here is a loser now?
Answer: because it's a growing crescendo of deflection.

Tournament losses to inferior teams= "Cal can't make free throws for them."

Transfers = "There's just too many people in these kids' ears."

Sharpe = "It was the handlers."

UNC/UConn losses = "It was Higgins fault."

9-16 = "It was a Covid year."

Losing recruits to Duke = "Nike hates Cal for not playing in the Phil Knight tournament."

St. Peter's = "Our players had no tournament experience."

Kansas State, 2023 = "Wheeler quit on the team and Oscar was divisive."

Auburn = "PJ missed free throws."

Kansas State, 2018 = "We were too young."

Ivisic = "It was the admissions office fault."

It just gets old.

Cal just needs to get the freaking job done at this point.

No more circuses.

No more drama.

Get it done or get out.

That’s as close to an admission of guilt as your getting out of him. At least he has a sense of humor about himself again.
How is an age old truth an admission of guilt? Rupp used to say that very thing. What was he guilty of?

I'm in the horse race business. There's a not person in this business that doesn't say that everyday. They are better jockeys, trainers, grooms and owners when they have better horses.

I mean, he's not wrong. The better players you have, the more you can do things that other squads can't. That holds true in all performance sports and arts.

If you have better musicians, you can play harder and more intricate music. Better dancers? More complex and flashy routines.

This is just common sense. But what separates good coaches from great coaches, is using what you have. I've seen incredible middle school band directors and coaches have basically not much to work with and churn out some amazing groups. Almost anyone can win and coach with great talent.

While I 100% agree with this, I have a feeling most people don't think this way. Like to me, doing more than what was expected from the current skill level of the players, that's the level of coaching.
But when people talk about great coaches, they talk about guys like Coach K, Self, Cal............guys who have had an amazing amount of talent and won with it.

They don't tend to think about the guy who had 300th ranked level of talent and made them into a top 100 team.

Reactions: jauk11 and bbncal02

And the fact that refs seem to hate him. That also bites us constantly.

How is an age old truth an admission of guilt? Rupp used to say that very thing. What was he guilty of?

I'm in the horse race business. There's a not person in this business that doesn't say that everyday. They are better jockeys, trainers, grooms and owners when they have better horses.
Wooden said the same thing

I just hope nobody at that clinic is actually paying to learn from the guy.

The aspects of what make Cal a good college basketball coach have absolutely nothing to do with what he knows about the actual game of basketball.

Unless he can teach the people on those bleachers how to form relationships with important people they are not going to learn a damn thing.

He's giving the kids all the credit. That statement has nothing to do with him as a Coach. Our fans sometimes don't understand sarcasm

He's giving the kids all the credit. That statement has nothing to do with him as a Coach. Our fans sometimes don't understand sarcasm
And some our fans understand that a good coach makes the players better. Not this guy. What a bunch of junk he said with the past several seasons. I would like to think that if you love UK Basketball, you would expect more than his stupid anecdotes.

There's absolutely nothing wrong (as in "incorrect") with the essence of what he said. But the old saying, as I've heard it for 60 or 70 years, is "Good players make good coaches." The way CCC said it, he gives himself credit for coaching better. Of course, that's his trademark - say anything to make himself look better (or to make himself look "less bad"). Alas ... this too shall pass. Oh Lord, let it pass soon!
And, whatever ... Go 'Cats !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT