ADVERTISEMENT

You Might Want to Sit Down For This One

Status
Not open for further replies.
What he said is fine to me. Works both ways.
There are plenty of people who could care less about what happens to the players in the future also. They just care about winning a title and the players are just tools to accomplish that.
This!!!!! How many coaches talk players into staying and some like up at Syracuse public ally come out and throw their players under the bus and tell the media they are not ready for the next level and think they are making a mistake.

Reactions: brianpoe
I think Erin Calipari nailed it to. In what other college department is the programs goals more important that the individual students? What if the Dean of the College of Law stood up and said his only goal was to win the National Moot Court competition? That would be ludicrous. His goal should be to educate his students (and probably other things too), but definitely to educate students and brag about job placement..

The only way it would bother me is if we were an annual early round flame out.

What Cal is doing is working.

The psychology is effective.

Know how I can tell? 4 Final Fours in 5 years.

Mental illness is a terrible thing.

My God.

Who cares?

I don't see the big deal. He's obviously selling the program to recruits, and I can 1,000 percent guarantee a kid born out of state in 1998 doesn't give a damn about Rupp's Runts, 1978 or The Unforgettables.

But I don't think the UK basketball program exists solely for myself and other fans to be satisfied.

I think Erin Calipari nailed it to. In what other college department is the programs goals more important that the individual students? What if the Dean of the College of Law stood up and said his only goal was to win the National Moot Court competition? That would be ludicrous. His goal should be to educate his students (and probably other things too), but definitely to educate students and brag about job placement..
It's sad that some fans are giving Cals daughter slack on Twitter over the comments

Well Tubby and Billy Clyde didn't focus on the players......how did that work out?
CAL (Berkley) brags about it's successful business graduates, poets etc.... Harvard it's Law school and Medical school grads and everyone is OK with it. Cal has help make the UK program a launching point for young men to become successful at the highest level in their chosen profession. Championships are a very rare occurence so it must mean almost every coach fails consistently to meet their goal. The vast majority of people go to college to prepare themselves for a successful career. Why is basketball different or not a worthy career aspirations particularly if you have talent and or the love for the profession?

I think he is mainly making the point that this past season was a success, not a failure. Some fans feel it was a failure because we weren't champs. For me all you have to say is 38-1. I would call that a great season.

I agree, If he said his goal every year was to win a National Championship then every year you are going to be a failure more often than not. If you state that your goal is to make players into pros then every year is a success.

It's positive spin and a recruiting tool.

Cal is a wonderful recruiter and he is by far my favorite UK coach of all time. I understand he is a master salesman and is constantly working on his image that he is projecting out to the recruits and tailors his words and actions accordingly. I am not blind to what his intentions are when he speaks publicly.

That said, Cal does represent the University and the fans. When me makes statements like the infamous "this is the greatest day in UK history" and "our goal is to get 8 guys drafted not win the national championship" those reflect on the priorities of the University and how it is perceived as an institution and the values of the Big Blue Nation.

Cal's statements are blatantly foolish. They tarnish the University. They tarnish our rich tradition and history. They play directly into the hands of those that label us as nothing more than a feeder system to the NBA. Cal's job is not just to recruit and coach basketball. He's been handed a torch that is incredibly important to the very fiber of all Kentuckians as we take tremendous pride in our program. I think if Cal objectively weighs the gain in recruiting he makes by issuing these kinds of statements against the damage it does to the image of our University then he should conclude that it just isn't worth it. He could have talked about the great job the athletes did in the classroom and he could more often pay homage to the very tradition he seems to think just isn't that useful to him.

Save these remarks for your in-homes. To the recruits. In your public statements be more aware of the tremendous pride people have for the University and the program in this state. Don't sell every last shred of our dignity so cheaply.
Grow up.

Who could we realistically get that could meet the standard he has set that wouldn't cost at least that much? The people who could even come close are already in great jobs you'd have to pay ridiculous amounts of money to pry them away.

I know that a lot of people are not going to believe it but there is a lot of coaches out there that if you paid them 8 million a year could and would come to UK and do just as well as Calipari. The effect you have been seeing the past several years is because of a marriage of a very good coach and the all time winningest program in basketball history. It is my opinion that there is plenty of coaches that could do what Calipari has done at UK if they were at UK. Heck maybe even better and win the NC when they get to the final four. I out of five or six is not setting the world on fire. I have always been a believer that talent can get you to the final four but coaching wins it because the talent is about even when you get there.

Jeez you people have swallowed Caliparis hype hook line and sinker and put him on a pedestal.

Reactions: Rawrrr
Also, elite prospects today don't give 2 shits about tradition. Only you do and I'm assuming you're not a 17 year old elite basketball prospect.

Inadvertently you are making my point. If Cal reduces us down to just pandering to recruits and heaving our history and tradition over the side because they are no longer useful then we have become what all the haters are saying we are.

I am not talking about winning. I am not talking about NCAA titles. I am not talking about Final Fours.

We are supposed to mean something more than that. We've always been more than those things. Adolph Rupp established, nurtured, and built a place where basketball means more than just a game. Where the entire program would be cherished by the fans and looked upon as an incredible source of pride for an entire state that has long been looked down upon and perhaps even downtrodden.

You don't have tradition and history because of statistics. It has to be valued and taken care of. The pride of our fans and the reputation of our University are perishable. They must be taken care of. At Kentucky we believe basketball shows us something about ourselves and then projects that out to everyone else. Folks in distant counties that will never attend the University look up and stand tall because of what the program means.

If you lose that, if we are what Cal says we are, then we lose that. And it never comes back.

Cal and the players he brings in do more to represent UK than the OP ever will. I'm proud of all the great players/gentlemen he brings in to represent the university.

RWAC.gif

I know that a lot of people are not going to believe it but there is a lot of coaches out there that if you paid them 8 million a year could and would come to UK and do just as well as Calipari. The effect you have been seeing the past several years is because of a marriage of a very good coach and the all time winningest program in basketball history. It is my opinion that there is plenty of coaches that could do what Calipari has done at UK if they were at UK. Heck maybe even better and win the NC when they get to the final four. I out of five or six is not setting the world on fire. I have always been a believer that talent can get you to the final four but coaching wins it because the talent is about even when you get there.

Jeez you people have swallowed Caliparis hype hook line and sinker and put him on a pedestal.
Lets see some names then, if there are so many coaches out there that can make 4 final four appearances, and two championship apprearances, and a title, in 6 years it shouldn't be hard to give some examples. The only guy I would consider is K and he's not leaving Duke without paying him a ridiculous amount of money.

What he said is fine to me. Works both ways.
There are plenty of people who could care less about what happens to the players in the future also. They just care about winning a title and the players are just tools to accomplish that.
This is a fair statement.I'm one of those people.Just keep winning and keep us in the hunt for Final 4's and the program out of trouble and he can have as many draft picks as he wants.I could give a shit less how many leave for the NBA.While I wish the players nothing but the best,I don't care what number pick they are or who drafts them.I don't follow the NBA and could care less.I do get tired of having draft picks rammed down our throats but whatever makes Cal happy,so be it.Just keep winning baby!

Cal and the players he brings in do more to represent UK than the OP ever will. I'm proud of all the great players/gentlemen he brings in to represent the university.

I'm impressed by the quality of character and the academic success we have reached under Cal. Especially with guys who are going pro quick. I think we have better quality guys than most programs. He hasn't had problems or had to dismiss anyone except Dodson his first season.

I think fans fail to realize is that this is a business first and foremost. That's why you have UNC giving players grades, programs like UT and IU breaking rules knowingly because they are trying to land the best player they can not because they are smart in class but they are good ball players.
It's like this in HS as well. Many years ago when I was playing in HS we had guys given grades all the time. One guy couldn't read but they could play ball. A couple guys got arrested for selling and were let go etc. As soon as their eligibility was over with and they did not get any scholarships one was arrested and thrown in jail and the other kicked out of school.

Cal is just doing his part of selling UK to recruits because these guys quite frankly don't care about school. Why would you if you could be making millions?? Cal is not giving out grades, not hosting barbq at his house or calling kids when he isn't supposed to be. So he has to do something to help draw in kids. If you havnt noticed we didn't land our top spring targets so cal is making a statement to Murray and the 2016 recruits.

Like I stated yesterday with top draft pics it means you had a good year.

Reactions: brianpoe and W2R
Well...yea, we can't replay the game, I agree. So do we shut down any & all threads that have anything to do with it?
[/QUOTE]
I can't make anybody do anything. If you wanna waste time making things up, go right ahead.

Don't be vague, tell us who.

K doesn't have many years left.

Roy, no.

Self is at just a big of a program.

Miller cannot get to the final four at a top program.

Tell us who all of these mysterious great coaches are?

Reactions: Aike
Oh not again...look, I don't remember BCG saying such things, should we give him a call?

Please just enjoy WINNING basketball!!! Did that look like a team that didn't want to win it all?!? Of course they wanted to win. They wanted to win everything! Every single game was THE GOAL!! Regardless of what Cal says, that was HIS goal and eventually the teams goal.

He says what he says to get the players he needs to accomplish that goal. Maybe he's upping his game because of some the misses we've had recently. Who cares? Like it or not, our #1 sales pitch is that we put a lot of players in the league. The days of Farmer and Feldhaus coming to UK and living their dream is over. The league is the dream now. Be thankful we have a coach who gets that because many don't.

If Cal bothers some of you so much just don't listen to what he says and just watch the games.

Last edited:
When are we going to hang banners in Rupp for putting players in the NBA?

Cal's contract gives bonuses for wins, grades, and how far he goes in the NCAAT. Evidently that is what is important to the university.

Sometimes I just wish he would can that crap

Reactions: donkat
Cal has led UK to a national title and 4 Final Fours, made the university a ton of money, used his position to help countless charities with big fundraisers and donations, and his players have had a pretty good GPA overall considering many leave early. That is much more than the OP has ever done for the university.

When are we going to hang banners in Rupp for putting players in the NBA?

Cal's contract gives bonuses for wins, grades, and how far he goes in the NCAAT. Evidently that is what is important to the university.

Sometimes I just wish he would can that crap

His current contract only offers a 50K bonus for grades. That is it.

Cal is a wonderful recruiter and he is by far my favorite UK coach of all time. I understand he is a master salesman and is constantly working on his image that he is projecting out to the recruits and tailors his words and actions accordingly. I am not blind to what his intentions are when he speaks publicly.

That said, Cal does represent the University and the fans. When me makes statements like the infamous "this is the greatest day in UK history" and "our goal is to get 8 guys drafted not win the national championship" those reflect on the priorities of the University and how it is perceived as an institution and the values of the Big Blue Nation.

Cal's statements are blatantly foolish. They tarnish the University. They tarnish our rich tradition and history. They play directly into the hands of those that label us as nothing more than a feeder system to the NBA. Cal's job is not just to recruit and coach basketball. He's been handed a torch that is incredibly important to the very fiber of all Kentuckians as we take tremendous pride in our program. I think if Cal objectively weighs the gain in recruiting he makes by issuing these kinds of statements against the damage it does to the image of our University then he should conclude that it just isn't worth it. He could have talked about the great job the athletes did in the classroom and he could more often pay homage to the very tradition he seems to think just isn't that useful to him.

Save these remarks for your in-homes. To the recruits. In your public statements be more aware of the tremendous pride people have for the University and the program in this state. Don't sell every last shred of our dignity so cheaply.

God to see you haven't gotten smarter since DD. 4 final fours and a title in 5 years, hard to remember a time when we had more success. You and the other genius's need to u bunch your panties and realize it doesn't matter what he says, his way is working.

I can't believe after 6 years with Cal people still cry about this stuff. People are taking him for granted and when we come back down to earth with our next coach people are going to realize we had it better than ever with Cal. No he is not perfect, but he IS the perfect coach for us. Its sad he has to get on twitter and explain himself to the lunatic fringe. People are complaining about him after he goes 38-1 and goes to 4 freaking final fours in 5 years with a title. How the hell can anyone in their right kind complain about that.

In what world should someone just say "Winning a National Championship is my goal at the expense of everything else?. We lost, so this year was a failure."

Yes. Ur right tubby did and Clyde did also

Why don't you take a while longer, not just a day to come back? The more time the better.

Whiny people. Here are your choices:

A. Cal and his personal priorities.

B. Another coach who only cares about winning first. And please name this individual.

You cannot make Cal change his personal belief systems or his marketing methods. His success is pretty darn good. Some of you look so stupid, and when Cal leaves and we happen to have a drop off, you people will be the first to complain again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT