ADVERTISEMENT

You Might Want to Sit Down For This One

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have seen this before. His philosophy is if that happens, then titles and success on the court will happen also. He likes trying to get a rise out of the haters and I think it's fine.

Ummm, you don't think it's the other way around? If you focus on playing good, winning basketball as a team, and you have talent on your team, then the NBA thing will take care of itself. And uh, if the only goal Cal had was to get guys drafted, maybe that's why.... you know.... y'all lost to Wisconsin.

This is one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard a coach say. Calipari is a solid troll so maybe he got me to bite, but I know I would be mad as hell if K said something to that effect.

I know Calipari is always recruiting and that's part of his job, but if I was a UK fan I would not be cool with this at all. Calipari's main job is to win games for the University of Kentucky. If Calipari recruits and lands talented players and wins a lot of games at UK (which he has done), players getting drafted will take care of itself. There is no need to say explicitly that it's your goal to get guys to the NBA, because that's only a byproduct of your actual job.

It is absolutely fvcking pathetic that Cal would say his only goal this season was to get guys drafted and not win the title. That is really just a mind-blowing statement and if Cal actually means it and isn't just doing "recruit speak," then I would be mad about it if I was a UK fan. I cannot imagine if K said something to this effect. I would absolutely rip him apart and be raising all kinds of hell about it.

Ummm, you don't think it's the other way around? If you focus on playing good, winning basketball as a team, and you have talent on your team, then the NBA thing will take care of itself. And uh, if the only goal Cal had was to get guys drafted, maybe that's why.... you know.... y'all lost to Wisconsin.

This is one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard a coach say. Calipari is a solid troll so maybe he got me to bite, but I know I would be mad as hell if K said something to that effect.

I know Calipari is always recruiting and that's part of his job, but if I was a UK fan I would not be cool with this at all. Calipari's main job is to win games for the University of Kentucky. If Calipari recruits and lands talented players and wins a lot of games at UK (which he has done), players getting drafted will take care of itself. There is no need to say explicitly that it's your goal to get guys to the NBA, because that's only a byproduct of your actual job.

It is absolutely fvcking pathetic that Cal would say his only goal this season was to get guys drafted and not win the title. That is really just a mind-blowing statement and if Cal actually means it and isn't just doing "recruit speak," then I would be mad about it if I was a UK fan. I cannot imagine if K said something to this effect. I would absolutely rip him apart and be raising all kinds of hell about it.
Get Ready...

Reactions: brianpoe

Everyone of your posts are pathetic, obvious Kansas troll.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/UK-destroys-Kansas--283147281.html

Wow, a lot of people here are very interested in the UNC scandal, but you're the first I talked with that is more concerned about that than discussing UK. Any chance you get you bring up UNC. If you'd like to talk more about UNC that's fine, but it might be better to make a thread instead of turning every other one into a UNC thread. Just my opinion.

I appreciate you attempting to "have a discussion" however both of your posts were condescending towards Cal.

And after the shameless defense of UNC's cheating you have spewed on this board, I will call you out every time.

This topic isn't for you to comment on or the Carolina fan or whoever. (and if you must comment then at least be respectful) When you're a guest on someone's board there are certain discussions to stay out of. Big Blue Nation is having a discussion about "their" coach in relation to a comment he made. If the comment wasn't made against you or whomever you pull for then it's not really any of our business.

I appreciate you attempting to "have a discussion" however both of your posts were condescending towards Cal.

And after the shameless defense of UNC's cheating you have spewed on this board, I will call you out every time.

They weren't meant to be condescending, they were meant to be questions. As in, what is the message he's sending out?

I really hope you're the same Nick Horvath that looked like the love child of a Box Troll and a young Bibi Netanyahu. The ugliest f'ing dude that ever suited up for Duke.

They weren't meant to be condescending, they were meant to be questions. As in, what is the message he's sending out?

I can ask you "what kind of message is Roy sending out"?

He knows exactly what his kids are doing academically...

He can't keep up with all of his kids academics...

His "academic handler" he brought with him from KU

Where is Wayne now?

What is Roy sending out???

Reactions: MWes11
Anyone who can't -- or for their own purposes won't -- understand what he is saying is not trying hard. Obviously, if all eight of the players performed to their peak ability and got drafted the result would have been an undefeated season and a championship. So it is another way to see the same result. And he's right -- if Alex doesn't get hurt, all the above happens.

Wait, so you're saying Poythress being hurt is the only reason UK didn't win a title? The other 10 NBA kids couldn't have done it w/out Alex? LOL. Maybe next time watch some game film on the team you're about to play and practice against their strengths and weaknesses. Poy would've made little difference.

Wait, so you're saying Poythress being hurt is the only reason UK didn't win a title? The other 10 NBA kids couldn't have done it w/out Alex? LOL. Maybe next time watch some game film on the team you're about to play and practice against their strengths and weaknesses. Poy would've made little difference.

great first post.... [sick]

Calipari gets paid to put the best team he can on the floor each year...and as everyone knows, those names are going to change dramatically from year to year. With the talent that he has been bringing in, KY has been to the 4 Final Four in 5 years with 1 Title...that's pretty damn awesome! So, as long as Calipari is coaching at UK, I'm not going to worry about who runs out on the floor because it will be a talented team. My concern will start when Calipari decides to leave and the next coach coming in and having to replace the players that leave early.

Is it awesome though? 27 kids to the NBA and only one championship to show for it. A lot of other coaches are doing more with much less. No denying that. And you don't hang banners for kids getting drafted. One has nothing to do with the other.

Is it awesome though? 27 kids to the NBA and only one championship to show for it. A lot of other coaches are doing more with much less. No denying that. And you don't hang banners for kids getting drafted. One has nothing to do with the other.

2 outstandingly first BS posts slamming Cal...

Tell us genius, who has done better with less than Cal over the last 6 years.

K? Maybe. Who are the "a lot of other coaches"?

I have an easier question, who is the latest troll to post on rafters?

Reactions: Jkwo
Nobody is doing more in Cal's time at UK except maaaybe K, and he's recruiting as well as he ever has in his career right now, so the "with less" part is a technicality. And he's the GOAT college coach. So yes, there is denying that.

Coach K protects sexual predators. Shut your piehole.

So Mr Knobby Bight, Did watching game film help the Hoosiers? Please Enjoy yet another year of insignificance and rooting against UK as your only form of enjoyment.

I can ask you "what kind of message is Roy sending out"?

He knows exactly what his kids are doing academically...

He can't keep up with all of his kids academics...

His "academic handler" he brought with him from KU

Where is Wayne now?

What is Roy sending out???

Wow, guy, you should work on your UNC inferiority complex. No one is bringing them up, just you. Can you please just keep on track or move to another thread. You're killing this one.

Wow, guy, you should work on your UNC inferiority complex. No one is bringing them up, just you. Can you please just keep on track or move to another thread. You're killing this one.

You can take your condescending, cheating self out of it. Doesn't concern UNC.

I don't know, but yes, why would that be so far fetched? I mean, he platooned for similar reasons, right?

And by saying that, I don't mean it as a commentary on whether the platoon idea was good or bad.
He's always played who he felt gave us the better chance to win. He believed Andrew should be in at the end and he was the hotter hand as well. You can disagree, but it's a waste of time to argue about it since it's not like we can replay the game.

giphy.gif

I'm okay with wanting players to "eat"...and everyone doing what is best for them at the appropriate time...

I am not okay with singling out "traditionalists" or the negative reaction to those who may put more weight in a title and what is best for UK...

UK is a state institution...meaning it is ours...we are paying for it through tax dollars, as well as donations, ticket sales, money spent on merchandise, etc...

He is on UK's payroll...not the NBA's...his max contract players are not sending him checks as far as I know...

those kids get to eat the best food, travel first class to the Bahamas, have access to rooms stocked full of top shelf nike gear, get new shoes, etc...because of the money the BBN drops...

it's great to care for the kids and promote their best interest...it's also okay to care about the program...very important to understand that it is not one versus the other, but both ideas can exist in harmony...

Reactions: Jkwo

giphy.gif

Here is the deal.

You guys ban every UK poster instantly.

You came over here clamoring with the UNC bball team is innocent thread.

Your two remarks in this thread were attempts at piling on the negative.

I am just in major troll hunting mode today. :sunglasses:

I'm okay with wanting players to "eat"...and everyone doing what is best for them at the appropriate time...

I am not okay with singling out "traditionalists" or the negative reaction to those who may put more weight in a title and what is best for UK...

UK is a state institution...meaning it is ours...we are paying for it through tax dollars, as well as donations, ticket sales, money spent on merchandise, etc...

He is on UK's payroll...not the NBA's...his max contract players are not sending him checks as far as I know...

those kids get to eat the best food, travel first class to the Bahamas, have access to rooms stocked full of top shelf nike gear, get new shoes, etc...because of the money the BBN drops...

it's great to care for the kids and promote their best interest...it's also okay to care about the program...very important to understand that it is not one versus the other, but both ideas can exist in harmony...

Besides Bobby we have our own fans who think Cal doesn't value winning titles ^^^^, much less dealing with rival fans...

Geez, what difference would our record be if Cal said winning titles were #1 and kids drafted #2??? Because he makes 1/10th of his income from state funds we can dictate his priorities?

I agree.

Thankfully, we have sent the most players to the league and have had, at worst, the second most success of any program in Cal's time here. So theoretically, both the traditionalists and everybody else should be fat and happy right now. But I only see one of those groups unhappy with the state of the program at the moment.

Geez, what difference would our record be if Cal said winning titles were #1 and kids drafted #2??? Because he makes 1/10th of his income from state funds we can dictate his priorities?

K has done alright preaching "Duke first, and titles are important..."

also...our tax dollars may only pay a small percentage of his salary...but the money we drop on everything else pays the rest...I mean, how exactly do you think an athletic department is funded?...K-fund, season tickets, jerseys, shirts, etc...

K has done alright preaching "Duke first, and titles are important..."

also...our tax dollars may only pay a small percentage of his salary...but the money we drop on everything else pays the rest...I mean, how exactly do you think an athletic department is funded?...K-fund, season tickets, jerseys, shirts, etc...

i don't disagree with the expenses.

but, K is not coming here.

so who do you want? BCG obviously cared more about titles than players... that sucked.

So it's either Cal and his personal priorities or another coach who has a titles first mentality, who would that be?

I'll take Cal, his priorities, and the results over what we have had here for the last 10 years and what everyone else currently has.

I think it is strange that people think a coach should not be able to voice his priorities when he has been this successful...

I know people will say we want Cal but we want him to change his personal priorities to what we want.

If we start sucking then people should worry about the man's priorities.

It doesn't really bother me that he said it, but I won't lie at one time it probably would've. This team wanted to win a championship, no doubt about it. Cal spins things in a positive light, and I can respect it. It's just funny to me how everything Cals says gets dissected by everyone.

Wow, this is still going on?

Some of you guys need to take up golf or yoga or something. Since you clearly can't handle "coach speak", maybe a little hobby would get your mind off it. He's going to say it again and again and again till he leaves. That's our coach. Get used to it or get your mind off it. If you can't then go find a more successful team to root for cause this one will never be good enough. (Good luck with that.)

Whining about a silly comment little comment after the year we just had just paints us all in a bad light, not that you'd care about the fan base image. Just remember, we were 38-1 this year. No amount of whining, arm chair coaching, coach bashing and pathetic parsing of a coaching phrase can change that. That season is singular in all of college basketball and you can't change that. The record may go unmatched for decades and you can't change that. Everybody in the country knows this save a disconsolate fringe group of fans. That group makes us all smaller.

For years there was a town in Kentucky that had a small sign in each road that essentially stated, "Home to 2000 happy people and a few sore heads".

Prophetic.

Last edited:
Cal is a wonderful recruiter and he is by far my favorite UK coach of all time. I understand he is a master salesman and is constantly working on his image that he is projecting out to the recruits and tailors his words and actions accordingly. I am not blind to what his intentions are when he speaks publicly.

That said, Cal does represent the University and the fans. When me makes statements like the infamous "this is the greatest day in UK history" and "our goal is to get 8 guys drafted not win the national championship" those reflect on the priorities of the University and how it is perceived as an institution and the values of the Big Blue Nation.

Cal's statements are blatantly foolish. They tarnish the University. They tarnish our rich tradition and history. They play directly into the hands of those that label us as nothing more than a feeder system to the NBA. Cal's job is not just to recruit and coach basketball. He's been handed a torch that is incredibly important to the very fiber of all Kentuckians as we take tremendous pride in our program. I think if Cal objectively weighs the gain in recruiting he makes by issuing these kinds of statements against the damage it does to the image of our University then he should conclude that it just isn't worth it. He could have talked about the great job the athletes did in the classroom and he could more often pay homage to the very tradition he seems to think just isn't that useful to him.

Save these remarks for your in-homes. To the recruits. In your public statements be more aware of the tremendous pride people have for the University and the program in this state. Don't sell every last shred of our dignity so cheaply.

He's always played who he felt gave us the better chance to win. He believed Andrew should be in at the end and he was the hotter hand as well. You can disagree, but it's a waste of time to argue about it since it's not like we can replay the game.

Well...yea, we can't replay the game, I agree. So do we shut down any & all threads that have anything to do with it?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
And I hope Calipari is making these idiotic statements for the next 20 years (at UK obviously). Honestly with everything weighed in the balance I can handle the way he runs his program and even if he actually means what he says I can simply disagree. If that's the worst he does to "reflect poorly" on UK, then he is doing just fine.

The problem is that people believe what they want, and hear what they want. Cal never said winning the championship wasn't important. He only said that it wasn't the main goal. If you are upset about that, maybe you need to take a look at yourself. Because what you are saying is that a national championship, which only provides bragging rights for fans is more important than someone's life. And before everybody gets upset, remember that Eric Bledsoe was sleeping in a car before he came to kentucky. Now he is taking care of his whole family. How is that not more important than fans having some bragging rights. Oh and by the way, has UK's tradition not gotten stronger since he's been here? I mean he has only added 4 final fours and a title for the fans to brag about. And would you be so chesty about the tradition if we weren't doing those things? Cal is winning a lot of games and taking the fans on a ride deep in the tourney almost every year. At the end of the day, we are getting what we want, so why do we care what his motivation is? Now, if we stop getting what we want, then it's time to start questioning his motivation and goals.

No. It's not an either/or. Cal can recruit just fine while also paying more attention to his role in cultivating the image of the University of Kentucky. He doesn't need to sacrifice one in favor of the other either way.

The way I look at it, is if he is sincere in his statement (and I don't totally buy it), then that means he is a college coach for the rest of his career. That pitch just doesn't work in the NBA. You can't start the season and tell your team that the goal is to get each player the biggest contract. There's no way to even really do that. In the NBA the stated goal must be to win games, ownership and management won't put up with anything else.

Reactions: meow_cat
He could have talked about the great job the athletes did in the classroom and he could more often pay homage to the very tradition he seems to think just isn't that useful to him.

Come on now. Cal talks about the players and their achievements in the classroom more than anybody. He even took out all bonuses out of his contract except for one. That one is about grades.....not reaching final fours.
Not to mention he embraces this job more than any of the four before him. Even is first speech was all about former players and coaches. He always tells the story about how he sat at the top of Rupp arena many years ago and dreamed of being the head coach at a school like UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT