ADVERTISEMENT

You Might Want to Sit Down For This One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brianpoe, no offense as I'm trying to be funny, but you have so many "likes" in this thread when someone posts anything pro cal, it makes me wonder if your head is so far up his butt, he has to fart just for you to breath. It is actually healthy to hold people to task, to be critical. Unless they are egomaniacs, it usually makes them better. There is one irrefutable fact. Cal was hired to win championships. None of his bonus payments are tied to getting guys into the league. None of my great memories over the past 37 years have anything to do with draft day. I take pride in our pros, but my goal is simple, win championships. I do fully believe Cal is far more interested in his "progeny" than he is our history. I think he has it backwards. People tend to chase the goals they cherish. How many NC's has Cal sad he wants before he leaves UK? I know he wants his players to earn 3 billion but I have no idea what his NC goal is. Cal is not our program, the players are not our program. We, the most rabid fan base in sports, we are the program. I wish Cal would worry about that more and how many draft picks he has on the team less.

No worries pal. Here is the thing, and you are one of our smartest posters so I am surprised you are struggling with this.

Cal was hired to win, a lot. We agree.

Cal has done his job. In my mind anyway (yes I'd love to have at least one more ship and yes i think his coaching may have cost us 2010 and 2015, not his personal beliefs/priorities).

Just because UK hired him doesn't mean he has to change his personal beliefs/priorities.

Now if you think his personal beliefs/priorities have prevented us from a better record AND you can prove it then you have a case.

And you know as well as anyone, recruits are about the coach more than any other factor these days. That is not going to change.

And no matter what your reply is, I will like your post as well. [cheers]

I want a coach whose priority is to win National Championships for UK.

I couldn't agree with you more, I'm sure when he said that, the philosophy wass, we get 8 drafted everything else takes care of itself and more than likely a championship. But IMO 38-1 with that much talent is an absolute failure. It was a fun ride but nobody is truly happy with the result, you can say it over and over again to yourself but you aren't happy with it. I don't want another coach but I dont lie to myself either, much less a bunch of people in a public forum such as this.. Bash away

I couldn't agree with you more, I'm sure when he said that, the philosophy wass, we get 8 drafted everything else takes care of itself and more than likely a championship. But IMO 38-1 with that much talent is an absolute failure. It was a fun ride but nobody is truly happy with the result, you can say it over and over again to yourself but you aren't happy with it. I don't want another coach but I dont lie to myself either, much less a bunch of people in a public forum such as this.. Bash away

You have considered Uk a failure all but 8 times in 113 years... sad fella. You are miserable because we lost one game..?

No worries pal. Here is the thing, and you are one of our smartest posters so I am surprised you are struggling with this.

Cal was hired to win, a lot. We agree.

Cal has done his job. In my mind anyway (yes I'd love to have at least one more ship and yes i think his coaching may have cost us 2010 and 2015, not his personal beliefs/priorities).

Just because UK hired him doesn't mean he has to change his personal beliefs/priorities.

Now if you think his personal beliefs/priorities have prevented us from a better record AND you can prove it then you have a case.

And you know as well as anyone, recruits are about the coach more than any other factor these days. That is not going to change.

And no matter what your reply is, I will like your post as well. [cheers]

Don't get me wrong Brian, I really LOVE Cal. i simply wish his stated goals would be slightly altered. It isn't that I think there is a better coach, I just think Cal can be better than he is. I'd like to see him more upset at our lost opportunities and then see him beam like a proud parent on draft day. Just a subtle change in philosophy and perspective. As for recruits, I can't wait till the one and done era is over. It's bad for the players, fans and college basketball in general.

Reactions: brianpoe
Cal was devastated when we lost to Wisconsin. You could tell the way he reacted when Jim Nantz interviewed him at the Hall of Fame vote announcement. Nantz asked him why he seemed down and Cal said "DID YOU WATCH THE GAME?"

Inadvertently you are making my point. If Cal reduces us down to just pandering to recruits and heaving our history and tradition over the side because they are no longer useful then we have become what all the haters are saying we are.

I am not talking about winning. I am not talking about NCAA titles. I am not talking about Final Fours.

We are supposed to mean something more than that. We've always been more than those things. Adolph Rupp established, nurtured, and built a place where basketball means more than just a game. Where the entire program would be cherished by the fans and looked upon as an incredible source of pride for an entire state that has long been looked down upon and perhaps even downtrodden.

You don't have tradition and history because of statistics. It has to be valued and taken care of. The pride of our fans and the reputation of our University are perishable. They must be taken care of. At Kentucky we believe basketball shows us something about ourselves and then projects that out to everyone else. Folks in distant counties that will never attend the University look up and stand tall because of what the program means.

If you lose that, if we are what Cal says we are, then we lose that. And it never comes back.
Cal consistently gets us high level recruits. The program is winning at historic levels. The players make good grades and do a lot of volunteer and charity work. Several go on to play at the highest level. A good number obtain their degrees. I haven't heard of off court problems with any of them other than maybe Dodsen. The players conduct themselves well after games in press conferences.

I couldn't tell you much about the teams before the Tubby era, but I can't imagine that they did more for the university or the state.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Don't get me wrong Brian, I really LOVE Cal. i simply wish his stated goals would be slightly altered. It isn't that I think there is a better coach, I just think Cal can be better than he is. I'd like to see him more upset at our lost opportunities and then see him beam like a proud parent on draft day. Just a subtle change in philosophy and perspective. As for recruits, I can't wait till the one and done era is over. It's bad for the players, fans and college basketball in general.

cal isnt like the typical miserable uk fan. he has a good life. so at the end of a tough day...he can go home happy.

instead of challenging cal to be better...why not challenge yourself first. if you did....maybe you would realize that not everything he says if for you. i know that is a hard concept to grasp because of the self centered nature of uk fans. but believe it our not...there is a bigger picture. sorry you dont like it...better just adapt and deal with it. he isnt changing.

Don't you think it is odd that a person wants another person to be more upset and change their personal philosophies to make someone else happy?

He is one of the top 3 coaches in college ball and UK is one of the top 2 schools right now. So not only do we want him to keep us great, but also change his personality and his personal priorities...?

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
And this thread on your board just goes to show why the rest of the college basketball world regards KY fans as the dumbest in the NCAA.

Remember: Duke Owns Uk

And with your first 3 posts you are making intelligent Duke shake their heads like we do with our teenage idiots...

Calipari said the goal last season was to get eight players draft, not win the national title.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...-eight-players-to-nba-not-win-national-title/
Do you know Coach Cal is one of the top motivational speakers in the country. He was speaking at a motivational session for a company on getting the best employee's, make them into the best they can be and your company will have a better chance to succeed and the employee's life will change for the best. Not everything Coach Cal does in his life is for the fans, it's not all about the fans wants and desires every second. Get over it and just enjoy the KIDS who come here to play a game for our entertainment.

I'm conflicted....I agree regarding tradition we do not know what the effect will be. Now here's the opposing view. As an educator and as a person advising young people, his job is to put them first individually but with in the team concept. When cal sends a player to nba who is successful it is a bonus for our school and if cal can win championships that far outweighs any comment he makes about players to the nba

Cal is a wonderful recruiter and he is by far my favorite UK coach of all time. I understand he is a master salesman and is constantly working on his image that he is projecting out to the recruits and tailors his words and actions accordingly. I am not blind to what his intentions are when he speaks publicly.

That said, Cal does represent the University and the fans. When me makes statements like the infamous "this is the greatest day in UK history" and "our goal is to get 8 guys drafted not win the national championship" those reflect on the priorities of the University and how it is perceived as an institution and the values of the Big Blue Nation.

Cal's statements are blatantly foolish. They tarnish the University. They tarnish our rich tradition and history. They play directly into the hands of those that label us as nothing more than a feeder system to the NBA. Cal's job is not just to recruit and coach basketball. He's been handed a torch that is incredibly important to the very fiber of all Kentuckians as we take tremendous pride in our program. I think if Cal objectively weighs the gain in recruiting he makes by issuing these kinds of statements against the damage it does to the image of our University then he should conclude that it just isn't worth it. He could have talked about the great job the athletes did in the classroom and he could more often pay homage to the very tradition he seems to think just isn't that useful to him.

Save these remarks for your in-homes. To the recruits. In your public statements be more aware of the tremendous pride people have for the University and the program in this state. Don't sell every last shred of our dignity so cheaply.
Wow...........get a life. It's basketball played by KIDS for our entertainment and enjoyment.

Cal is a wonderful recruiter and he is by far my favorite UK coach of all time. I understand he is a master salesman and is constantly working on his image that he is projecting out to the recruits and tailors his words and actions accordingly. I am not blind to what his intentions are when he speaks publicly.

That said, Cal does represent the University and the fans. When me makes statements like the infamous "this is the greatest day in UK history" and "our goal is to get 8 guys drafted not win the national championship" those reflect on the priorities of the University and how it is perceived as an institution and the values of the Big Blue Nation.

Cal's statements are blatantly foolish. They tarnish the University. They tarnish our rich tradition and history. They play directly into the hands of those that label us as nothing more than a feeder system to the NBA. Cal's job is not just to recruit and coach basketball. He's been handed a torch that is incredibly important to the very fiber of all Kentuckians as we take tremendous pride in our program. I think if Cal objectively weighs the gain in recruiting he makes by issuing these kinds of statements against the damage it does to the image of our University then he should conclude that it just isn't worth it. He could have talked about the great job the athletes did in the classroom and he could more often pay homage to the very tradition he seems to think just isn't that useful to him.

Save these remarks for your in-homes. To the recruits. In your public statements be more aware of the tremendous pride people have for the University and the program in this state. Don't sell every last shred of our dignity so cheaply.

Don't be stupid...public statements go a lot further

I want a coach whose priority is to win National Championships for UK.

That is his goal...don't be fooled! Cal knows what he's doing so quit freaking out & hanging on every word he speaks publicly. Cal is a PR genius & knows how to get his message out

Organization that fails to focus on people first are the organization that does not last.

People is what makes an organization successful. This is true way beyond college basketball.

Coach Cal is simply doing what is proven recipe for success in all form of business, and is setting up far better image than "Win title at all cost."

ironically, when you focus on the players, you also win a lot.

Duke fan, first post on this site. I get where both sides are coming from - what matters to most fans is wins, so as long as the program is clean, what the coach says isn't that important. On the other hand, appearing to imply (when taken out of context, imo) that wins are less important than your draft record is insensitive at best.

My perspective after the past couple of months is that Cal appears desperate and that's he saying these things not from a position of strength but weakness. Perhaps he's over-compensating after all the recruiting misses the past 6 weeks. Personally I think it's unnecessary to keep saying the same thing - we all know Cal's record at getting guys to the draft - and if anything, may damage the UK brand if he keeps harping on it.

Ah darn, they nuked the little Puke boy. I wanted to ask why he didn't make the power point or top the national news for video production. Didn't measure up I guess.

Now that's what I call a recruiting tool.

<Sorry mods, delete if too inappropriate>

And AGAIN, Zaytoven Cat likes a negative post about our program, coach, or team. Really, what is up with that? Every post or like is about something negative. It seems to happen everyday. I'm being serious when I ask you, do you like our program? Do you like anything about the state of our program? That is a serious question.

Duke fan, first post on this site. I get where both sides are coming from - what matters to most fans is wins, so as long as the program is clean, what the coach says isn't that important. On the other hand, appearing to imply (when taken out of context, imo) that wins are less important than your draft record is insensitive at best.

My perspective after the past couple of months is that Cal appears desperate and that's he saying these things not from a position of strength but weakness. Perhaps he's over-compensating after all the recruiting misses the past 6 weeks. Personally I think it's unnecessary to keep saying the same thing - we all know Cal's record at getting guys to the draft - and if anything, may damage the UK brand if he keeps harping on it.

Not the sharpest knife duke has to offer? I'd worry more about brand impacts of 15 > 2.

Enjoy your six layer cake.

Inadvertently you are making my point. If Cal reduces us down to just pandering to recruits and heaving our history and tradition over the side because they are no longer useful then we have become what all the haters are saying we are.

I am not talking about winning. I am not talking about NCAA titles. I am not talking about Final Fours.

We are supposed to mean something more than that. We've always been more than those things. Adolph Rupp established, nurtured, and built a place where basketball means more than just a game. Where the entire program would be cherished by the fans and looked upon as an incredible source of pride for an entire state that has long been looked down upon and perhaps even downtrodden.

You don't have tradition and history because of statistics. It has to be valued and taken care of. The pride of our fans and the reputation of our University are perishable. They must be taken care of. At Kentucky we believe basketball shows us something about ourselves and then projects that out to everyone else. Folks in distant counties that will never attend the University look up and stand tall because of what the program means.

If you lose that, if we are what Cal says we are, then we lose that. And it never comes back.
You're a little late to the party if you think that hasn't already happened.

Brianpoe, no offense as I'm trying to be funny, but you have so many "likes" in this thread when someone posts anything pro cal, it makes me wonder if your head is so far up his butt, he has to fart just for you to breath. It is actually healthy to hold people to task, to be critical. Unless they are egomaniacs, it usually makes them better. There is one irrefutable fact. Cal was hired to win championships. None of his bonus payments are tied to getting guys into the league. None of my great memories over the past 37 years have anything to do with draft day. I take pride in our pros, but my goal is simple, win championships. I do fully believe Cal is far more interested in his "progeny" than he is our history. I think he has it backwards. People tend to chase the goals they cherish. How many NC's has Cal sad he wants before he leaves UK? I know he wants his players to earn 3 billion but I have no idea what his NC goal is. Cal is not our program, the players are not our program. We, the most rabid fan base in sports, we are the program. I wish Cal would worry about that more and how many draft picks he has on the team less.
Cal feeds the fans egos more than any other coach in my 38 years. He posts things on social media and different things to keep us up to date. Sutton, pitino, tubby, Gillespie did not embrace the UK job like Cal has. He takes time out to reach out to fans in many ways. He tells his players to embrace the fans. BBM and other events are proof. Cal doesn't care for BBM but he does all the extra stuff for bbn . He sends the players out. He and his son brad would come out and hang with the fans. He hangs around and signs basketballs for hours after a game with the radio show. Cal does a lot for the fans. Before he got here we had not sniffed a final four in over a decade now he has multiple final fours and a title but some fans say it's not good enough with all the talent he has brought in. He is the best recruiter there ever was. The NCAA tourney is a crapshoot. He took us to a tuner up when most had lost hope. We won 38 straight afterwards and since we didn't in the tiltle it's still not good enough for some, I still hate we lost, but we need to appreciate what we have and don't have

STOP please. This is ridiculous and he thought we were going all the way this year. Things went wrong and it sucks but Cal will keep us in contention every year. We lost this year but it is REALLY difficult to win a title with the format of the NCAA tourney. If it were best of 5 or 7 we would win. It's just the nature of the tourney it is extremely difficult to win that many in a row without a loss. I love Cal and hope he coaches here forever. People underestimate how difficult it is to win that many in a row against good teams. 4/6 final fours is amazing I don't remember anyone else in recent memory accomplishing that much. So stop ffs!

Getting the best players is generally a great way to win the most games, and if Cal thinks the 'players first' message is the best way to get those players, that's the message he's going to use. You can argue that he should tone down the message in public, or whatever, but even as a Duke fan I find it hard to relate that mindset and losing a basketball game against a really good WI team. The best regular season team rarely wins the championship....

Reactions: Jazzycat
You are correct. Elite prospects have been conditioned to not give a crap about UK's tradition. Tradition is the reason why they go to Duke, KU, UNC, etc. They were coming to UK because they once believed UK was their fastest track to the NBA, maybe not so much anymore.

[laughing]

Don't you think it is odd that a person wants another person to be more upset and change their personal philosophies to make someone else happy?

He is one of the top 3 coaches in college ball and UK is one of the top 2 schools right now. So not only do we want him to keep us great, but also change his personality and his personal priorities...?

Perhaps, but his personal philosophies directly intersect with mine. They are not mutually exclusive.

It was directly intended towards a segment of the fans , a nasty throat punch that was wildly effective . He should have said it , I'm glad he said it and I want him to keep saying it . Winning the title would have been great but don't tell me losing hasn't paid big dividends.

First of all, you're actually better now than you were as Zisusdra, so good work.

Second, do you know what damages tradition? Not winning a damn thing for more than a decade. I can assure you, Mike Porter wasn't here for the tradition either. He, like Sam Bowie or John Wall or Richie Farmer, was here because it was the best place for them. Just like every other player at every other college in the country.

Tradition matters to fans. The future matters to recruits.

By the way, you can usually tell where your position on an argument stands by looking at who agrees with you. Maybe don't take relationship advice from your single friends, you know?

Reactions: JIMSOULS
It's hysterical that so many on here think Calipari "develops" these players. All of the Kentucky players that will be drafted in this year's first round would be NBA-bound regardless of where they went to college. They aren't going to the NBA because of Calipari. They're going there because they are talented. Calipari's ability to develop players is severely overrated. Judging by Kentucky's spring recruiting, it would seem that many of the better high school players are starting to figure this out. They're not "weird" as many folks here have stated. They just realize they can achieve their dream at numerous other schools, and without Calipari's "assistance."

Reactions: Rocketman101
It's hysterical that so many on here think Calipari "develops" these players. All of the Kentucky players that will be drafted in this year's first round would be NBA-bound regardless of where they went to college. They aren't going to the NBA because of Calipari. They're going there because they are talented. Calipari's ability to develop players is severely overrated. Judging by Kentucky's spring recruiting, it would seem that many of the better high school players are starting to figure this out. They're not "weird" as many folks here have stated. They just realize they can achieve their dream at numerous other schools, and without Calipari's "assistance."
Disagree. I think Cal does a very good job of developing his guys - case in point, KAT. He made KAT focus on what would both help the team and KAT's NBA prospects: Developing a low-post game.

I'm a Duke fan but honestly think developing his players is one thing K doesn't do as well as Cal. Case in point, both Jabari's and Jah's utter lack of defensive improvement over their 7 months. Honestly I wish Cal had been coaching those two, they might not have become defensive stars but they would have been much better at D than they ended up at Duke.

Reactions: Jazzycat
We as fans keep the program going. We buy the gear, we pay BIG money for tickets. If we didn't they would shut the program down.

We would not have a 8M a year coach.

It is about the fans first, not the players. Kentucky and Cal are also the gate way to the NBA, it is not getting players drafted, it is winning titles for the fans FIRST.

We as fans keep the program going. We buy the gear, we pay BIG money for tickets. If we didn't they would shut the program down.

We would not have a 8M a year coach.

It is about the fans first, not the players. Kentucky and Cal are also the gate way to the NBA, it is not getting players drafted, it is winning titles for the fans FIRST.

So, you think Cal should have a better record since he's been here?

We have so many ridiculous and ignorant fans it makes me sad. No sane person could question what Cal has done at UK. 6 years, 4 final fours, 1 title, another E8, great APR, charity and all the while recruiting great kids. But still we have fans that seem determined to prove they fit the backwards, hillbilly mentality that demands championships. Embarrassing

Would you rather him say the 'right' thing and never get to FF's or say the 'wrong' thing and have FF's be an annual event?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT