ADVERTISEMENT

You Might Want to Sit Down For This One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cal makes it about the players - that is why we get so many incredible players and that mentality leads to success. Every coach is trying to win, Cal is no exception - he just cares even more about developing his players on and off the court. It is good for the players, for him and most of all for UK and its fancies. Keep up the good work Coach Cal!

its an obvious recruiting tool and anyone who takes it out of context is a flamer.

Does anyone really believe the goal wasnt to win a title?

NO

No flamer here, but why say it? He can get recruits regardless if he says stuff like that or not. His reputation for getting guys into the league speaks for itself. No kid is going to come to school here because Cal says that the goal was to get 8 guys into the draft. Why say it? What does it accomplish by saying this when you know the absolute 100% goal of every Big Blue fan was to win it all. I'm not saying that was not the ultimate goal for Cal, but why even say something like that?

No flamer here, but why say it? He can get recruits regardless if he says stuff like that or not. His reputation for getting guys into the league speaks for itself. No kid is going to come to school here because Cal says that the goal was to get 8 guys into the draft. Why say it? What does it accomplish by saying this when you know the absolute 100% goal of every Big Blue fan was to win it all. I'm not saying that was not the ultimate goal for Cal, but why even say something like that?

Why buy a potential client dinner that has no need for your services right now? It is an investment.

its an obvious recruiting tool and anyone who takes it out of context is a flamer.

Does anyone really believe the goal wasnt to win a title?

NO
It didn't need to be said at all. He knows how that comment will be perceived by the BBN. I obviously know that he wanted to win a title, but if you put a gun to my head and ask if Cal would rather have 8 players drafted or win the national title, I would say he would rather have 8 players drafted.

All I know is what comes out of his mouth. I don't speak in riddles and I am not a fan because of players declaring for the NBA. I do respect Coach for being honest with us and will be less enthusiastic in rooting for my Cats in the future now that I know what the goal is

Duh
It's very obvious that if we had done it:
8 in the Draft=NCAA Championship
We didn't get 8 so no Championship...

Anyone who can't -- or for their own purposes won't -- understand what he is saying is not trying hard. Obviously, if all eight of the players performed to their peak ability and got drafted the result would have been an undefeated season and a championship. So it is another way to see the same result. And he's right -- if Alex doesn't get hurt, all the above happens.

It's like saying 'Our goal was not to land on the Moon, it was to see three astronauts perform flawlessly, along with support staff in Houston, and for the crew to return to Earth safely." Yeah, if that happened, along the way, the Moon landing and walk would flow as part of the experience.

But the depressingly literal minded, the haters and the trolls will live off this for years.

I think most of that is salesmanship and to be taken with a grain of salt. You don't put in the time and effort he does not to be desperate for a title.

But I also think he is legitimately too loyal to that notion of his players as well. He should have played Ulis at the end against Wisky. Towns wasn't touching the ball. The twins were going one on one and failing every time. You have every single UK draft guy naming Ulis as the one teammate they would go to war with. You even have Jones and Okafor when asked a non-Duke player they would want taking the last shot and they said Ulis. His peers respect him immensely. If he was in the game Towns would have touched the ball. But I think Cal was too loyal to the twins and let them have their time to shine (which failed). I think if his only single concern was winning that game Ulis would have played at least some in crunch time.

Obviously, he can't, considering how he whiffed on a lot of guys this season. I don't mean that as disrespect, I mean it as that's reality - he whiffed because sometimes even the best whiff. Therefore, you gotta follow your ABCs... ALWAYS BE CLOSING. These kids down the line were in 5th grade when he started at UK; they haven't heard the same routine we've been beaten over the head with. Factor in kids' notorious attention spans, and it needs to be repeated constantly.

I'll agree it gets a little old on our end, but whenever I feel annoyed I look a the 4 banners, one of which is a title.

All I know is what comes out of his mouth. I don't speak in riddles and I am not a fan because of players declaring for the NBA. I do respect Coach for being honest with us and will be less enthusiastic in rooting for my Cats in the future now that I know what the goal is

Then, IMO, you aren't a true fan. I root just as hard now as I did my sophomore year at UK when we went 13-19 and knew the NCAA hammer was coming just like I did during Tubby's last few years and the mess that was BCG.

I root for the CATS no matter who the coach or players are because that is the one constant. Players and coaches come and go.

I think most of that is salesmanship and to be taken with a grain of salt. You don't put in the time and effort he does not to be desperate for a title.

But I also think he is legitimately too loyal to that notion of his players as well. He should have played Ulis at the end against Wisky. Towns wasn't touching the ball. The twins were going one on one and failing every time. You have every single UK draft guy naming Ulis as the one teammate they would go to war with. You even have Jones and Okafor when asked a non-Duke player they would want taking the last shot and they said Ulis. His peers respect him immensely. If he was in the game Towns would have touched the ball. But I think Cal was too loyal to the twins and let them have their time to shine (which failed). I think if his only single concern was winning that game Ulis would have played at least some in crunch time.

Some truth to this but come on. Andrew was playing great up until that point. I wouldn't of sat him. Do you take out Aaron who has hit big shot after big shot? Cal had Ulis in at end of game situations before this. He went with who he thought would get it done (as they did last year) You can't fault Cal because your hindsight is 20/20

Reactions: michaeluk26
I expect the usual suspects will be up in arms about this, both from within the fanbase and the rival/media detractors. Anyone that doesn't think Cal wanted to win the NC is insane. In order to be in position to win the title, you're going to need great talent. And most seasons you're going to need NBA talent. He's been up front about this from the beginning-- the best talent puts you in the hunt.

Duke had just as many McD All Americans as UK did and the media wouldn't let us forget it as the season went on. When Duke won the title, though, it was almost portrayed as this amazing upset and triumph over all that is evil with college basketball, when they had a loaded team and 3 OADs themselves.

Coach Cal in full Osteen mode ... always makes for good copy. Stir that pot!

joel-osteen.jpg

I could say something like..."Coach like you did the last 5 minutes of the Wisconsin game and you won't have to worry about winning a NC"....but I won't.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I wonder how fans would have felt if Coaches Rupp and Hall said those things, I mean would they have been alright with them saying that as they are with Cal, of course Cal did say that after he won his title, just saying.

Cal is playing puppet master as usual. This isn't the first time he has expressed a similar sentiment. Sometime it's like he thinks if he says it enough BBN will actually start believing this one. I do think fans need to understand that our expectations of the team aren't always the best (or the most rational) avenue to take. Championships are great and I'd love to see one every year but without the players Cal has gotten UK may not have the '12 title or the four final fours. Cal has to pander to his constitutes sometimes.

Reactions: brianpoe
I wish he'd say stuff like this every day just because I love how upset it makes some of you.

If you haven't figured this all out by now, after seven seasons of having it explained to you by those who understood it from the start, then you'll never get it. If you do get it, save your paragraphs. They aren't interested in understanding.

No one can defend what he said regardless of rationalization. His job at UK is not to get players to the league. It's to win championships. He's not paid millions of dollars to cater to the athlete, it's to consider the STUDENT athlete, to put the best TEAM on the floor and to enable higher graduation rates. The twins were never serious about being students and imo should have never been here. Cal is a college coach and needs to carry himself as one

Reactions: mattrudd
No one can defend what he said regardless of rationalization. His job at UK is not to get players to the league. It's to win championships. He's not paid millions of dollars to cater to the athlete, it's to consider the STUDENT athlete, to put the best TEAM on the floor and to enable higher graduation rates. The twins were never serious about being students and imo should have never been here. Cal is a college coach and needs to carry himself as one

[laughing]

it's whatever. Cal speak. Will say what he has to in order to land another top class that can potentially win the title... then if they DO win the title he says it's about getting the players drafted. If they DON'T, then it's only about getting the players drafted.

He can say whatever he wants as long as UK is a contender every year.
Yep, we've been a contender every year but 1 in his time here. That's all I ever wanted as a UK fan. If you have enough teams capable of winning titles then they will eventually come. By putting players first and constantly putting that philosophy out there he is recruiting at all times.

The UK fans that see the need to criticize him every time he says something like this just don't seem to get it. Do you all think by trying to get as many guys to the league as possible that means he isn't trying to win a title too? Use a little sense. Criticism like that won't be THE reason Cal eventually leaves UK, but it will be a reason. Those who do criticize him at every statement like this are going to be even more miserable when he does leave and we only have a contender every 3-4 years at best.

The rant wasn't directed at you Jason, by the way.

I get so tired of all the Cal worshipers trying to cover up and "re-arrange" everything Cal says. Bottom line is, I do not understand how he could say what he said coming off the most painful loss for thousands of fans in our program's history. Cal knew that it made people mad the last time he made this type of comment, so why say it again? Why rub his lack of preparation and lack of in game coaching for Wisconsin in our faces? This comment pisses me off, sorry sunshine pumpers.

If you read the article though when he says "the goal last year was to get 8 players drafted " that comment must be referring to the 2013-2014 season because a few paragraphs later he says "This year, we were trying to win every game and we fell short of what we were trying to do but we still did historic things this year and seven players are going to be drafted." You cannot say 'last year' and 'this year' and refer to the same year.

it's whatever. Cal speak. Will say what he has to in order to land another top class that can potentially win the title... then if they DO win the title he says it's about getting the players drafted. If they DON'T, then it's only about getting the players drafted.

He can say whatever he wants as long as UK is a contender every year.

It's a sad time in the forum when the rest of you guys are so nuts that I end agreeing with Jason on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT