ADVERTISEMENT

You Might Want to Sit Down For This One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not in love with the actual wording, but I'm a competitor and a high school coach. My job is not dependent on the perception of incoming recruiting classes. This is how Cal recruits. He's always spoke through the media since his days at Umass. I know in Memphis he would call local press conferences and say certain things simply because he knew his players were watching. But keep in mind he's always recruiting, always.

However, if you have a problem because there are people who are able to put value on something other than themselves in sports, then you too have a problem. This isn't directed at anyone in particular. Some people will not accept that sort of speech, and that's understandable. I don't have an issue with someone who doesn't see eye to eye with this.

Cal is having to reaffirm his message because we've been out of sync lately. Cal squatted the Pelicans talk as fast as he did because the NBA revelations are really hurting his recruiting. He's saying this to reaffirm to all the recruits their individual performance at the next level is his main priority, below nothing. It's above the team, the sport, championships, or fans. It's about THEM. Meaning his life work is about them at this level.

People should be tolerant to both points of view. I' m sure even Cal understands that sort of coach speak goes against everything sports have ever taught and it's controversial. He's not an idiot.

They aren't independent of each other necessarily. Cal believes if each individual that plays can play well enough to get drafted in the first or high second round then the on floor results will take care of itself. At the same time allowing us to continue our recruiting pitch.

And he is correct in that thinking. Titles aren't guarenteed but that strategy is what is putting is in the position to win a title each year. Its only a matter of time before the breaks go our way.

Reactions: brianpoe
Like, I'm not even one of those people who is upset, but I don't see where it's that bad to want your team's #1 goal to be winning the championship...

And for the record, I don't really believe what Cal said. Or any coach, for that matter.

Theres nothing wrong with wanting a NATTY to be the ultimate goal. Calipari is known as someone who HATES losing. Don't believe it? Take a look at him on the sidelines losing in the final four games. He loses his f'ing mind. No, he doesnt actually care amore about a draft slot than a championship. I agree completely with this post.

Reactions: brianpoe
Theres nothing wrong with wanting a NATTY to be the ultimate goal. Calipari is known as someone who HATES losing. Don't believe it? Take a look at him on the sidelines losing in the final four games. He loses his f'ing mind. No, he doesnt actually care amore about a draft slot than a championship. I agree completely with this post.

Yeah he's selling a product, basically. You can see the passion when he coaches, I wouldn't doubt that for a second. And I do believe he loves the guys he coaches, pretty much like a father.

I also understand, from a fan's perspective, being mainly concerned about winning. Sure, there are players I tend to gravitate towards, and end up liking some more than others (Nerlens, MKG) but that jersey it what I'm rooting for.

I guess my whole point is this is much ado about nothing.

Good lord let the guy do his job. UK fans sounding like 90 yr old women squabbling at a book club.

And if it's tearing ya up that badly, go to a doctor. I'm sure there are other things that you will need to talk about in your life that is stressing you out waaaay worse. Go on, do yourself a favor. Get emotionally adjusted.

Good lord let the guy do his job. UK fans sounding like 90 yr old women squabbling at a book club.

And if it's tearing ya up that badly, go to a doctor. I'm sure there are other things that you will need to talk about in your life that is stressing you out waaaay worse. Go on, do yourself a favor. Get emotionally adjusted.

Gotta be the most conservative thing I've ever heard you say. What's next? You gonna want to give religious people rights?

Reactions: Willy4UK
I'm just upset about the damn Wisconsin game. Cal is a gift from god, but I listen to his words as much as I listen to politicians speak. That's just the business, and I don't care for it. You think Cal isn't still haunted by that game?

Reactions: Jkwo and brianpoe
Like, I'm not even one of those people who is upset, but I don't see where it's that bad to want your team's #1 goal to be winning the championship...

And for the record, I don't really believe what Cal said. Or any coach, for that matter.
Before the tourney he says the goal is to win the tourney. Before the draft he says the goal is to get guys drafted. He says whatever he needs to make the point he's trying to make at the time. No biggie. Since in order to win the tourney he needed guys to all play their best and if they all played their best they would get a look in the draft, neither statement could be deemed to be "wrong".

A roster loaded with NBA talent should win the title and should get drafted highly. This isn't news.

Reactions: Jkwo and brianpoe
LMAO at this thread. Give me Cal and you can have the rest. The media is fighting hard to get Cal out of CBB and you guys are hung up over something he said to a group of business men. Coach Cal leads by serving. Sometimes you can be to close and miss the shot.

For me,the goal is winning and Cal has certainly done that.It is true we will not win a national title every season and anyone who thinks that is naïve as hell BUT I do expect us to be in the conversation and thus far,the results speak for themselves.The greatest day in UK history is not when we have a certain amount of players drafted in the NBA.Frankly,I do not follow the NBA nor really care about whom gets drafted or where they end up.I wish all players who wear the Kentucky jersey nothing but the best once they leave but I am a Kentucky basketball fan and for me,its all about the program,not the players.Cal is a great coach and a great recruiter and I'm happy we have him.I wouldn't trade him for anyone else but nothing and nobody is above the program.

Reactions: Jazzycat
I'm not upset...however he is a little insensitive, and seemingly unconcerned about many in the fan base. I think he could use better choice of words.

Reactions: .S&C.
It could come out that Cal just killed 10 people with an ax and there would be people on here saying oh that's ok, he just had a bad day and he is just trying to improve recruiting. It's mind boggling.

No, what's mind boggling is you would try to equate murdering 10 people with an axe with a coach engaging in coach speak as they ALL do. They aren't the same. Seeing that you are struggling with the concept, I'll explain it to you.

On the one hand, you have people hacked to death, blood all over the floor, family member wailing and the police engaged looking for a mass murderer with a blood covered axe. That's bad.

On the other hand, you have a coach making a comment for the benefit of the media to illustrate he's a "Player's first coach" and failing to take into account that he has a small percentage of "me first at all cost" fans. That's normal, expected, predictable, or whatever similar description you like.

What's mind boggling is that we have fans that believe the team has only one goal. What's mind boggling is that we have fans that would try to make a silly analogy like that.

By the way, did you send me your $100?

Before the tourney he says the goal is to win the tourney. Before the draft he says the goal is to get guys drafted. He says whatever he needs to make the point he's trying to make at the time. No biggie. Since in order to win the tourney he needed guys to all play their best and if they all played their best they would get a look in the draft, neither statement could be deemed to be "wrong".

A roster loaded with NBA talent should win the title and should get drafted highly. This isn't news.

It's coach speak, absolutely. I don't pay too much attention to what he says...

...I'm agreeing with a Kansas fan. Oh well.

Reactions: .S&C. and brianpoe
It could happen that a coach would accomplish all of this:

And some posters would still be overall unhappy with him, and would compare posters who forgive quotes about the importance of draft picks to forgiving axe murder.
I know, right? I read that and was like........"uhh............what??"

It's coach speak, absolutely. I don't pay too much attention to what he says...

...I'm agreeing with a Kansas fan. Oh well.

I know, right?

Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes!
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Venkman: Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

-- Excerpt from "The Ghost Busters"

about the only smart response in the thread up to the point of this post originally. it's also a flat out lie by him. Similar to the 2010 draft BS line he made, and still continues to trumpet. There was no reason to say that one either.
How do you know what there is "no reason to say"? You and the guy you were quoting both said that - and yet, you have no idea. Cal is the best recruiter without a doubt since Wooden, if not ever - it's not contested, and in fact, it's the one thing that rival fans and our most idiotic fans concede that's positive about him.

So by definition, no one else knows better how to do it than he does, yet you're sitting here trying to explain that he doesn't need to do X or Y to recruit? How would you know? The dude has a plan to get the best damn players to the school year after year after year, and regardless of what you say about him otherwise, it's sure as hell working. So based on what knowledge do you so confidently claim that his little recruiting bat-signals don't actually help his recruiting?

It would be like if Larry Bird took 10 shots blindfolded before every game, and you walked up to him and said "I don't know how that helps, so you should really stop wasting your time". It just doesn't make any damn sense unless, at the very least, you're some kind of celebrated shooting coach or neurologist or something, and even then you can't definitively isolate enough variables to guarantee that it doesn't help him.

Reactions: michaeluk26
It could come out that Cal just killed 10 people with an ax and there would be people on here saying oh that's ok, he just had a bad day and he is just trying to improve recruiting. It's mind boggling.

I agree. Good ole Cal does no wrong even if he can't coach. He should watch the last two games see just how bad he is. [winking]

Reactions: Rawrrr
IMO this is nothing more than some more of Caliparis hype but if he really feels getting players to the NBA is more important than winning NCs at UK than I wouldn't mind at all if he moved on. He is paid 8 mil a year to be UKs basketball coach not a procurer of talent for NBA teams.

I unlike some don't think Calipari walks on water and believe there is plenty of coaches out there that can do as good a job as him at UK that UK can get for 8 mil or less a year.

What is the goal of the University of Kentucky? IMO it is to try and help their students attain their career wants and goals.
So why should Cal's. be any different?. Most of these guys are not at UK to win us a title, and all of them are at UK to reach their desired career (NBA or something else)

All I know is what comes out of his mouth. I don't speak in riddles and I am not a fan because of players declaring for the NBA. I do respect Coach for being honest with us and will be less enthusiastic in rooting for my Cats in the future now that I know what the goal is
So you are not going to root as hard for the Cats because the coach is trying to help his players succeed? Find another team. This club doesn't need self serving fans like yourself.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
BY GAWD THIS HURRR IS KENTUCKEEE AND WE ARE ABOUT WINNING TITLES.

THESE PLAYERZ OWE ME AT LEAST THREE TITLES. WHAT IS IN THE BEST INERTEST OF THA FANS IS ALL THATS IMPORTANT!!!

FAAAAAARRRRRRR EVERYONE!!!!!111!!!!!

I unlike some don't think Calipari walks on water and believe there is plenty of coaches out there that can do as good a job as him at UK that UK can get for 8 mil or less a year.
Define "plenty".

Then, IMO, you aren't a true fan. I root just as hard now as I did my sophomore year at UK when we went 13-19 and knew the NCAA hammer was coming just like I did during Tubby's last few years and the mess that was BCG.

I root for the CATS no matter who the coach or players are because that is the one constant. Players and coaches come and go.

Amen! I mean c'mon, I also hold two BA's from UK (class of 2003) so you can bet I too stand behind the Cats through thick and thin and as the popular game show from back during that 13-19 season titled, I'm Big Blue win, lose, or draw! :)

All I know is what comes out of his mouth. I don't speak in riddles and I am not a fan because of players declaring for the NBA. I do respect Coach for being honest with us and will be less enthusiastic in rooting for my Cats in the future now that I know what the goal is

Awe, poor widdle baby isn't going to be as enthusiastic. Good, we don't need fans like you anyway.

What is the goal of the University of Kentucky? IMO it is to try and help their students attain their career wants and goals.
So why should Cal's. be any different?. )

Very good point. If the school produces excellent students that become very successful, the University prospers.... The same premise that Calipari is using. Just wish he was a little more tactful with the fans.

I don't see why the fans get so upset when Coach Cal says these comments about the Kids getting to the NBA. This is not the first time Coach Cal has said this and it won't be the last time. This is great recruiting tool and telling the 2016 and 2017 future recruits is what they want to hear especially the top 20-30 boys in these classes. Most of the 5-star top talent now are 1 and done and they want to go to a college that they get to the NBA in 1 or 2 years. They don't want to hear anymore about what they can accomplish in their 4-years at a college they now want to hear they can get there in 1 or 2 years. All of these 5-star top 25 players knows what the University of Kentucky Basketball is all about it is just like knowing about the Alabama Football and Ohio State football they know they will be contention for a National Title every year. They know that at Kentucky they will Win Approx. 30 games a year, win the SEC and SEC Tourney Champ and always in the talks about being the #1 Seed in the NCAA tourney. They know about Kenucky going to 4 Final Fours in last 6 years and winning a National Championship and Runner-up. These Kids know all about these numbers at Kentucky Basketball. They want to know today is that 5 or 6 players are heading to the NBA. That is what it is all about today. I don't see why any of our Fans would be upset with this comment. We know Coach Cal wanted to go 40-0 and a 2nd National Championship. He knows that the 2016 and 2017 recruiting is going strong right now and making this comment draws even more players that want to come here and play. Just a strong recruiting tool for the future recruits 2016 & 2017 recruits.

Reactions: michaeluk26
This is good news for Bill Self, who's put a lot of guys into the lottery. Titles don't mean that much

Is there anything wrong with saying....."If we work hard, play together, become a team and share the ball, we win a title. If we win a title, 8 of you get drafted this summer". Seems like talking draft being number 1 is like putting the cart in front of the horse.

IMO this is nothing more than some more of Caliparis hype but if he really feels getting players to the NBA is more important than winning NCs at UK than I wouldn't mind at all if he moved on. He is paid 8 mil a year to be UKs basketball coach not a procurer of talent for NBA teams.

Who could we realistically get that could meet the standard he has set that wouldn't cost at least that much? The people who could even come close are already in great jobs you'd have to pay ridiculous amounts of money to pry them away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT