ADVERTISEMENT

You Might Want to Sit Down For This One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get so tired of all the Cal worshipers trying to cover up and "re-arrange" everything Cal says. Bottom line is, I do not understand how he could say what he said coming off the most painful loss for thousands of fans in our program's history. Cal knew that it made people mad the last time he made this type of comment, so why say it again? Why rub his lack of preparation and lack of in game coaching for Wisconsin in our faces? This comment pisses me off, sorry sunshine pumpers.
That it pisses you off is about you. Not him.

I get so tired of all the Cal worshipers trying to cover up and "re-arrange" everything Cal says. Bottom line is, I do not understand how he could say what he said coming off the most painful loss for thousands of fans in our program's history. Cal knew that it made people mad the last time he made this type of comment, so why say it again? Why rub his lack of preparation and lack of in game coaching for Wisconsin in our faces? This comment pisses me off, sorry sunshine pumpers.

Because life isn't about you, you short-sighted, petulant hand-wringer. You can rub your wiener raw panicking over what Cal says, but you won't ever score a point for Kentucky. If losing hurts you so much, you might consider that the best players seem to win a lot of games.

He isn't talking to you. He's talking to the people who matter.

How do some of you still not understand this? Where have you been?

Because life isn't about you, you short-sighted, petulant hand-wringer. You can rub your wiener raw panicking over what Cal says, but you won't ever score a point for Kentucky. If losing hurts you so much, you might consider that the best players seem to win a lot of games.

He isn't talking to you. He's talking to the people who matter.

How do some of you still not understand this? Where have you been?
Really bud? You really think Cal sets up this big speech to lure in recruits? As if, he does not say these things to them behind the scenes? To say that your team goal is not to win a title, but to get guys drafted probably hurts recruiting more so than helps, how many parents want to send their kids to a school where winning a titles is second and going to the NBA is first? Maybe not every family wants their kids in that type of situation. I am sure Cal really feels that all these high school kids are at home watching his speech at this business conference or whatever it was; lol!

Calipari gets paid to put the best team he can on the floor each year...and as everyone knows, those names are going to change dramatically from year to year. With the talent that he has been bringing in, KY has been to the 4 Final Four in 5 years with 1 Title...that's pretty damn awesome! So, as long as Calipari is coaching at UK, I'm not going to worry about who runs out on the floor because it will be a talented team. My concern will start when Calipari decides to leave and the next coach coming in and having to replace the players that leave early.

Reactions: brianpoe
Dude. Haven't ya'll ever heard of telling people what they wanna hear? You know just saying whatever to keep someone happy, or to gain some type of advantage. Do you know how good saying something like this is for recruiting?

Doesn't bother me. Cal's job is to win games, and to put his players in the best position to succeed in life, either graduation to get a good job or going pro to get a good job in pro basketball, with the option to come back later for the degree finishing if necessary.

Really bud? You really think Cal sets up this big speech to lure in recruits? As if, he does not say these things to them behind the scenes? To say that your team goal is not to win a title, but to get guys drafted probably hurts recruiting more so than helps, how many parents want to send their kids to a school where winning a titles is second and going to the NBA is first? Maybe not every family wants their kids in that type of situation. I am sure Cal really feels that all these high school kids are at home watching his speech at this business conference or whatever it was; lol!

It's a business model. It's an approach. You can't tell kids one thing in private then go to public events and contradict yourself. The only people this upsets are fans whose parents reproduced with squash, and they'll forget when Anthony Davis leads us to a title.

Again, he's selling this program and his philosophy. Do you think businesses really believe the customer is always right? No. But they're the ones keeping the doors open and lining the pockets. You cater to that. It's 2015 and you have Internet access, you can't have missed this.

My only issue with his comments today.....WHY IS HE NOT WITH JAMAL MURRAY?!?! Is he already locked up for the Big Blue? Please say yes!

Four Final Fours and a National Title in five years . Cal could get in front of a mic and say he hates UK and all of its' little fans too and I would still be straight.

cal's first objective is getting the best players he can get, get them to play together without turmoil, and to win every game that they play. if he only achieves the first two then we're going to win a nat'l 'ship now and then. this is not the sixties---no program is going to come close to becoming a dynasty like ucla, because the quality of college basketball is so much better now throughout the ncaa. i know it's cliche, but the best team doesn't always win. these last six years have been the best six years of my life as a uk fan. cal can say what he wants.

It's a business model. It's an approach. You can't tell kids one thing in private then go to public events and contradict yourself. The only people this upsets are fans whose parents reproduced with squash, and they'll forget when Anthony Davis leads us to a title.

Again, he's selling this program and his philosophy. Do you think businesses really believe the customer is always right? No. But they're the ones keeping the doors open and lining the pockets. You cater to that. It's 2015 and you have Internet access, you can't have missed this.
It sounds like you think recruiting is like running a save-a-lot. Well, there are some differences partner, I happen to know a thing or 2 about running a business and I am highly doubting it is comparable to college recruiting, in fact, I know its not. Get back to class now.

You can have more than one goal....

Yes, except that is NOT the way Cal phrased it. Instead, he explicitly stated they began the season with "a" goal--meaning ONE--and then clearly acknowledged that one goal was NOT winning the title like others thought, but instead getting 8 guys drafted.

Which, frankly, seems to me like rather dumb word choice by Cal. He could've accomplished the same goal without pissing anyone off by stating they had two goals--8 guys drafted AND the title--but he chose not to say it that way. Why he instead phrased it in a way that made it clear that the title didn't mean as much is beyond me.

Last edited:
If that's true then in Cal's world it goes like this:

Players first
Cal second
UK a very distant third

Welcome back!

troll.jpg

I agree with pretty much everything you said except that he is selling this program(Kentucky). He is selling the idea of coming to play for him and he will help get you to the NBA. He isn't selling the tradition of Kentucky and the history of this program. So basically he is selling HIS program. He just happens to be here while doing that.

Having said this, I wouldn't want him to be anywhere else selling his program. I want him right where he is.

Reactions: .S&C.
It sounds like you think recruiting is like running a save-a-lot. Well, there are some differences partner, I happen to know a thing or 2 about running a business and I am highly doubting it is comparable to college recruiting, in fact, I know its not. Get back to class now.

I wonder if Save-A-Lot still sells those big boxes of Sugar Babies? Sugar Babies are like the best thing ever.

[laughing] I just realized you're messing with me and not serious. Well played.

No one can defend what he said regardless of rationalization. His job at UK is not to get players to the league. It's to win championships. He's not paid millions of dollars to cater to the athlete, it's to consider the STUDENT athlete, to put the best TEAM on the floor and to enable higher graduation rates. The twins were never serious about being students and imo should have never been here. Cal is a college coach and needs to carry himself as one
Ah, a twins hater. Why not add Wall, Cousins, Davis, Bledsoe, MKG, Jones, Teague, Orton, Lamb, Goodwin, Noel, Goodwin, Randle, Booker, Lyles, Towns, WCS and Dakari to your list?

Or are you so blinded by hate and bitterness against the Twins that it makes you stupid?

Reactions: UKDUNK and brianpoe
Man we have some simple minded and spoiled kids on here today.

The man has had a great run of success, one of the best since many of the little mad ones on here have been alive.

But they don't like his words! Final Fours suck! I'm sad, I'm mad! The last 5 minutes of a basketball game will cause me to go on a public message board and pout to the world!!!!

giphy.gif

Damn, badass. You better get to that and stop crying about what Cal is saying and has said for 6+ years. Obviously it works, he is the best recruiter of all time and you people are questioning him. It's like arguing the gospels with a fundamentalist.

No one can defend what he said regardless of rationalization. His job at UK is not to get players to the league. It's to win championships. He's not paid millions of dollars to cater to the athlete, it's to consider the STUDENT athlete, to put the best TEAM on the floor and to enable higher graduation rates. The twins were never serious about being students and imo should have never been here. Cal is a college coach and needs to carry himself as one

What the hell do you mean the twins should have never been here and were never serious students? Jesus some of you twin bashers are so freaking pathetic. Let's blast the kids who led us to the final four 2 years in a row. You even have the nerve to blast kids who were not one and dones. Fans like you are embarrassing. Let's make something clear, Cal chooses who comes here, not you. Every damn kid we've had has been great representatives of the school except 1.

It's very obvious that if we had done it:
8 in the Draft=NCAA Championship
We didn't get 8 so no Championship...

What the hell do you mean the twins should have never been here and were never serious students? Jesus some of you twin bashers are so freaking pathetic. Let's blast the kids who led us to the final four 2 years in a row. You even have the nerve to blast kids who were not one and dones. Fans like you are embarrassing. Let's make something clear, Cal chooses who comes here, not you. Every damn kid we've had has been great representatives of the school except 1.

Yup. UK would have two less Final Fours (would not have sniffed the Final Four either season) without the Harrison twins. But yeah, that other poster can keep bashing away.

Calipari said the goal last season was to get eight players draft, not win the national title.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...-eight-players-to-nba-not-win-national-title/

Non-issue for me. Any UK fan should know to listen to what Cal says with a large grain of salt. Hyperbole, double-talk, etc. are SOP for him. Of course winning a title is the goal of every team. There is no way a team goes about having a season where 8 guys could get drafted unless you were really, really good. Good enough to win it all. And nobody seriously believes that Cal would do something during the season that is going to hinder our chances of winning the title, just so some player has a higher profile for the draft is crazy. He upset a lot of people, UK fans included, when he made that statement in 2010 about the draft, and we still won it all in 2012. If anyone is upset about this statement, they are just looking for something to be upset about.

I mean shouldn't the championship be more of an assumption than a goal? When you get 8 players drafted, you should win a championship, that's implied. And if it had been 8, with a healthy poythress we would have #9. This is absolutely a recruiting tool and I love it

Have to say I'm glad to see that most seem to "get" Cal, what he is doing, and how he is going about trying to accomplish it. I was concerned before opening the thread.

Do I wish he had stated it a little differently? Well yeah, probably. Not so much for me - I think I understand what he has been telling us over, and over, and over again for six years. And it seems the majoriity are taking it for what it is. But yes, for the segment of the fan base that still can't seem to understand/accept how he operates and how he goes about achieving his (and our) goals.

IMHO, he is acting the same as any other employee of the U of K. Their main job is to train young people to become the very best possible at their future career field.

#playersfirst

Also, for anyone concerned about what Calipari says I suggest that you get a picture of Billy Gillispie and put it above your computer...that way when you start getting concerned about recruiting, just take a look at that picture of BCG and be thankful Calipari is holding the reigns at UK now.

I mean shouldn't the championship be more of an assumption than a goal? When you get 8 players drafted, you should win a championship, that's implied. And if it had been 8, with a healthy poythress we would have #9. This is absolutely a recruiting tool and I love it
Yep, that is exactly what I said too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT