ADVERTISEMENT

You Might Want to Sit Down For This One

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the goal of the University of Kentucky? IMO it is to try and help their students attain their career wants and goals.
So why should Cal's. be any different?. Most of these guys are not at UK to win us a title, and all of them are at UK to reach their desired career (NBA or something else)

Extremely good point

Reactions: Bkocats
OK...Everyone is buying into this , BUT in say 5 more years this is still happening and we haven't won another title will you still be buying into this?:basketball::flushed::sunglasses:
Has it otherwise been the type of success that certain miserable fans are calling a failure? So in other words, 4 more final fours in those 5 years? Then I'm frustrated that we haven't won a title and still ride or die with the first coach since Wooden to give a school a championship and 8 final fours in a decade.

Who could we realistically get that could meet the standard he has set that wouldn't cost at least that much? The people who could even come close are already in great jobs you'd have to pay ridiculous amounts of money to pry them away.

Yeah, I want to hear that other poster's list of coaches. Do not expect him to reply, but I welcome his list if he does. I can't think of anyone UK can realistically get that would come close to keeping UK where they are now. I respect the CC guy's opinion, but I think it is a bit delusional. UK was pretty irrelevant for most of the decade before Cal got here.

Extremely good point

Eh..... Not necessarily. Cal is employed by the University with the idea that he wins at a level respectable to the program and it's decision makers. The public (fans) sets the table for what's defined as respectable. Winning is all that really matters at that point.(which he has done very well)

I'm cool with however anyone wants to believe, but Cals job is to win and do it without embarrassing the university. Nowhere in his contract does it talk about draft picks, or a former players future career. He's not a educator, he's a basketball coach. I agree with the idea in the sense that I understand the recruiting landscape with the "me" generation. But I wouldn't actually buy into it.

Last edited:
I still don't understand why his goal was to only get 8 drafted. Who didn't have a chance of going pro prior to the season starting? Also, does this mean that he tells some players to leave when they shouldn't, just to get more into the league?

I still don't understand why his goal was to only get 8 drafted. Who didn't have a chance of going pro prior to the season starting? Also, does this mean that he tells some players to leave when they shouldn't, just to get more into the league?

Pretty simple. Eight had a realistic shot of being drafted. That's where he got the number.

He's not telling Derek Willis to declare just to try and get more kids in the league.

Reactions: .S&C.
All I know is what comes out of his mouth. I don't speak in riddles and I am not a fan because of players declaring for the NBA. I do respect Coach for being honest with us and will be less enthusiastic in rooting for my Cats in the future now that I know what the goal is

What is wrong with declaring? It is their choice to go forward.

Big difference than saying they didn't want to win. The loss crushed those kids. If anyone can't see this is total coachspeak and for recruiting purposes than I don't know what to tell you.

Eh..... Not necessarily. Cal is employed by the University with the idea that he wins at a level respectable to the program and it's decision makers. The public (fans) sets the table for what's defined as respectable. Winning is all that really matters at that point.(which he has done very well)

I'm cool with however anyone wants to believe, but Cals job is to win and do it without embarrassing the university. Nowhere in his contract does it talk about draft picks, or a former players future career. He's not a educator, he's a basketball coach. I agree with the idea in the sense that I understand the recruiting landscape with the "me" generation. But I wouldn't actually buy into it.
SC says I my opinion is wrong. Imagine that...

IMO this is nothing more than some more of Caliparis hype but if he really feels getting players to the NBA is more important than winning NCs at UK than I wouldn't mind at all if he moved on. He is paid 8 mil a year to be UKs basketball coach not a procurer of talent for NBA teams.

I unlike some don't think Calipari walks on water and believe there is plenty of coaches out there that can do as good a job as him at UK that UK can get for 8 mil or less a year.
There isn't a coach out there even close to Cal except Coach K. NOT ONE.

The public (fans) sets the table for what's defined as respectable.

BAHHHH!!!!! That's hilarious. The public has no say in it whatsoever. Trust me, there were a ton of UK fans that found the NIT completely unacceptable and rolling into the '14 tourney as a whatever low seed they were totally unacceptable. All it got Cal was an extension and a raise.

IMHO, if I was a college basketball coach and had 8 players drafted in this year's draft and didn't win a Championship I would question my own coaching abilities. It appears to me that Cal measures success based on sending kids to the NBA but some fans, me included measures success not based on wins but NCAA Titles. 38 wins is great but without a title their is a feeling that the season lacked something. For the fans, 28-10 with a title is much more fulfilling than sending these players to the NBA.

The days of players playing for a school for the sole purpose of winning a title are over. But it should be the responsibility of the coach to instil in his players that the fans will never be NBA players and that they, the players, have a responsibility to the university that has given them a free education weather they stay one year or four. To those who say these kids owe the fans nothing cheapens the history of the players who played their hearts out without any NBA aspirations but did it for their university. The BBN become what it is based on nothing more than the history of winning titles, not sending players to the NBA. I find it hard to see why as supporters of the University both can't be accomplished with equal vigor.

Reactions: Rocketman101
IMHO, if I was a college basketball coach and had 8 players drafted in this year's draft and didn't win a Championship I would question my own coaching abilities. It appears to me that Cal measures success based on sending kids to the NBA but some fans, me included measures success not based on wins but NCAA Titles. 38 wins is great but without a title their is a feeling that the season lacked something. For the fans, 28-10 with a title is much more fulfilling than sending these players to the NBA.

The days of players playing for a school for the sole purpose of winning a title are over. But it should be the responsibility of the coach to instil in his players that the fans will never be NBA players and that they, the players, have a responsibility to the university that has given them a free education weather they stay one year or four. To those who say these kids owe the fans nothing cheapens the history of the players who played their hearts out without any NBA aspirations but did it for their university. The BBN become what it is based on nothing more than the history of winning titles, not sending players to the NBA. I find it hard to see why as supporters of the University both can't be accomplished with equal vigor.

That's a hurt post. Not sure why you'd post that as you've been around a while but it reeks of a "me" complex. Sorry, when you start asking; "what's in it for me"? or us...as part of the BBN I'd do some begging your pardon.... (I'll take the way Cal does it 100 times out of 100. He'll get his wins and titles but he is not about him. He seems to be for everyone else but him. (That's refreshing. Yet, he get's his.) Be Good

Reactions: GonzoCat90 and W2R
If the OP does not think the players and Cal did not want to win a title this past season (and every season) then idk what to tell him.

And newsflash...UK does not win many national titles in basketball lately. They have won 4 in 55+ years. Cal is a victim of his own success.

I wonder how you were allowed to post 18,173 times, OP.
You know your post blows, and can be classified as "trolling" when Rocketman101 likes it.

I would think with the players Cal brings to the program, not sure there is another coach who chases a title with as much vigor.

You guys are interpreting his statements wrong.

How many coaches if asked would say screw the players, I just want titles?

I have a solution to this. Simply get a gullible, errr, enterprising reporter to ask Calipari if he really has no goal to win a national championship, or maybe the OP could ask next time he sees him.

If he says national championships are never a consideration the CLC's (Chicken Little Contingent) were right all along. If he calls the question blatantly stupid, then they'd have their opportunity to claim it was just coach speak and he really, deep down, never planned to win a national championship. Its a CLC slam dunk, win win scenario.

I am so bored tonight. Given there are at least three threads going on this stupid topic, I'm not the only one.

Let's see:

Final Fours in 4 of the past 5 seasons.
Just completed an incredible 38-1 season.
Will produce perhaps 4 NBA lottery picks and 7 draftees.
Projected to be top 5 in 2016 by most in national media.
Top 3 recruiting class in hand with potential to improve with Jamal Murray.

If only every college basketball program in America had it so rough ;)

Just look at the date the guy joined the forum. That tells me all I need to know.
Michael, you are the worst poster that I have ever seen. Look at when you joined the forum, and yet, you don't know your elbows from your A-hole, grow up dude. pshhhh...troll

Anyone who can't -- or for their own purposes won't -- understand what he is saying is not trying hard. Obviously, if all eight of the players performed to their peak ability and got drafted the result would have been an undefeated season and a championship. So it is another way to see the same result. And he's right -- if Alex doesn't get hurt, all the above happens.

It's like saying 'Our goal was not to land on the Moon, it was to see three astronauts perform flawlessly, along with support staff in Houston, and for the crew to return to Earth safely." Yeah, if that happened, along the way, the Moon landing and walk wouldllflow as part of the experience.

But the depressingly literal minded, the haters and the trolls will live off this for years.
Exactly, if Poythress didn't get hurt we might have won the championship, he definitely would have entered the draft, it was an outstanding year regardless.

Cal wasn't talking to the fans, he was talking to the recruits. If they believe he only cares about NCs and not them, why should they play for him? Cal has been open since day one in saying that he is here for the players, to get them in position to attain their dreams. That is what every professor at every college in the country is there to do - help their students attain their dreams. Why should a coach be any different.

But I have no doubt in my mind that Cal IS here to win NCs as well - he builds his teams to be in contention to do so. To build those teams, he wants the best players, to get those players he has to let them know he is there for THEM. This is why UK is talked about as a possible title contender every single year, instead of just once every 4 years or so.

Take it for what it was meant to be, people - and relax. We're good.

Take it for what it was meant to be, people - and relax. We're good.
We're good? Heh, I guess. Not nearly as good as we were in the first six years of the truly great UK coaches like, uh...

Well, erm..

Damn. I can't recall their names. But 4 Final Fours and a championship in the first six years would've gotten them run out of town back in those days!

Reactions: Bkocats
Man some fans are going to be so mad while missing the obvious point in this message.

Cal. Is. The. Ultimate. Salesman.

Write it down and frame it and display is proudly in your UK man cave right under this artical.

If Cal wasn't UK's coach you would be calling it exactly what it should be called, BS.

Some of you either believe everything Cal says or you spend most of your life trying to restate it in a more pleasing way.

Losing sight of the real issue. These players do not play for the University of Calipari but the University of Kentucky. Cal is great for UK, he is the best recruiter in America and UK is lucky to have him but the history of Kentucky did not start with Cal. The true Kentucky fans, not the casual fan, wants the best players, wants wins to stay the winningest program of all time and NCAA titles. Who goes to the NBA has nothing to do with what the BBN. IMHO

Sometimes I wish Cal would just shut up. This is why he is not on the same level as great coaches, like coach K, Roy, Pitino those 3 have had less talent and won two or more titles. Cal can't coach all that well in FF's games, so his next thing is talking about getting his players drafted.

Does he really think the goal is to draft players as the #1 goal? obviously not. But will he use this for a recruiting tool, yeah. But at the same time it makes him look silly saying this stuff.

Sometimes I wish Cal would just shut up. This is why he is not on the same level as great coaches, like coach K, Roy, Pitino those 3 have had less talent and won two or more titles. Cal can't coach all that well in FF's games, so his next thing is talking about getting his players drafted.

Does he really think the goal is to draft players as the #1 goal? obviously not. But will he use this for a recruiting tool, yeah. But at the same time it makes him look silly saying this stuff.

[laughing] 10 posts in 7 years.

he's our coach and he's producing at a high level...

if he tweeted right now that "turds taste good"...we'd all be shit eaters in the morning...

:flush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT