ADVERTISEMENT

You Might Want to Sit Down For This One

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one can defend what he said regardless of rationalization. His job at UK is not to get players to the league. It's to win championships. He's not paid millions of dollars to cater to the athlete, it's to consider the STUDENT athlete, to put the best TEAM on the floor and to enable higher graduation rates. The twins were never serious about being students and imo should have never been here. Cal is a college coach and needs to carry himself as one

There is sssssssssssssooooooooooooooooo much wrong with this post. I'll order your missteps for you:

1. Cal's job is to put a successful product on the floor each year. If his job is solely based on winning championships then he would have been fired by now.

2. Cal had the best team on the floor all year. Players played at least 8-10 minutes less than they would have anywhere else in America. (Team basketball)

3.The team GPA was above 3.0 this year. UK also graduated three players this year. That's damn near like a unicorn sighting in college basketball.

4. How in the world can you surmise that the twins "were never serious about school"? Did you have class with them? Every class?

5. No Harrison twins means we don't see the final four last year or the year before thus making us one step further from Cal's job as you stated "to win championships".

No one can defend what he said regardless of rationalization. His job at UK is not to get players to the league. It's to win championships. He's not paid millions of dollars to cater to the athlete, it's to consider the STUDENT athlete, to put the best TEAM on the floor and to enable higher graduation rates. The twins were never serious about being students and imo should have never been here. Cal is a college coach and needs to carry himself as one
Good gawd man there is so much fail in this post it boggles the mind.

Reactions: brianpoe
Really bud? You really think Cal sets up this big speech to lure in recruits? As if, he does not say these things to them behind the scenes? To say that your team goal is not to win a title, but to get guys drafted probably hurts recruiting more so than helps, how many parents want to send their kids to a school where winning a titles is second and going to the NBA is first? Maybe not every family wants their kids in that type of situation. I am sure Cal really feels that all these high school kids are at home watching his speech at this business conference or whatever it was; lol!

I can understand that Cal is not for everyone. I actually don't listen to him much at all anymore, because he often repeats the same things over and over, and I've pretty much heard everything he has to say. That said, he is our coach, and if he really bothers some of you as much as he obviously does, perhaps you should just watch the games and stay away from all media. Sounds extreme, but it may be the only way some of you guys can stay UK fans (and I have my doubts that some of you are really fans anyway).

Why only 8? Who all did he not think had a chance of going pro?

The dichotomy in this thread is interesting. It's roughly split between those who want UK-first preached by Cal and not doing so implies he's out for Cal and not UK, and you don't like it. And the other half say they're fine with a coexistence, Cal is not UK-first but that doesn't matter so long as UK wins. I think this is a clear line between the UK fans who've been around for a while and the UK fans who aren't so experienced (ie, old).

Yes, except that is NOT the way Cal phrased it. Instead, he explicitly stated they began the season with "a" goal--meaning ONE--and then clearly acknowledged that one goal was NOT winning the title like other thought, but instead getting 8 guys drafted.

Which, frankly, seems to me like fairly dumb word choice by Cal. He could've accomplished the same goal without pissing anyone off by stating they had two goals--8 guys drafted AND the title--but he chose not to say it that way. Why he instead phrased it in a way that made it clear that the title didn't mean as much is beyond me.

Maybe because winning it all is the goal of every team. Does it really need to be said, or stressed?

apparently a lot of people agree with me on a regular basis.

This is me driving my "like" truck away from the board every night before bed:

hqdefault.jpg

[roll]

If he does not care about winning then he needs to settle down. Most of the time it looks as if he is having a stroke on the sidelines. If he starts caring about wins, I suspect there will be blown up ass matter all over the court.

The dichotomy in this thread is interesting. It's roughly split between those who want UK-first preached by Cal and not doing so implies he's out for Cal and not UK, and you don't like it. And the other half say they're fine with a coexistence, Cal is not UK-first but that doesn't matter so long as UK wins. I think this is a clear line between the UK fans who've been around for a while and the UK fans who aren't so experienced (ie, old).

If there is one thing this thread needed, it's the perspective of a UNCheat fan.

The world is roughly split with those who don't think UNC cheated (UNC fans) and those who know UNC cheated - the rest of the world.

Reactions: DodgerDukie1985
I wish he wouldn't put it in those terms exactly, and I think he could be a little more tactful for the fan base , but I get what he is doing.

I can understand that Cal is not for everyone. I actually don't listen to him much at all anymore, because he often repeats the same things over and over, and I've pretty much heard everything he has to say. That said, he is our coach, and if he really bothers some of you as much as he obviously does, perhaps you should just watch the games and stay away from all media. Sounds extreme, but it may be the only way some of you guys can stay UK fans (and I have my doubts that some of you are really fans anyway).
you seem logical, but, weren't you one of the many on here who had a major issue with what he said back in 2010 in regards to the draft? Well, if you were, then what he said yesterday was much worse.

I think this is a clear line between the UK fans who've been around for a while and the UK fans who aren't so experienced (ie, old).

Well that's dumb. I've been a Wildcat fan since I was in middle school in the late 80's and I'm fine with the way Cal does things.

I think the line you were looking for is the morons who take Cal verbatim when he goes all hyperbole and those who don't.

apparently a lot of people agree with me on a regular basis.

This is me driving my "like" truck away from the board every night before bed:

hqdefault.jpg

Maybe so, but I've never been of the opinion that being liked by the masses, the same folks who elect our politicians, was a good barometer of ones accuracy or intellect. Marc Maggard was once liked by many as well.

you seem logical, but, weren't you one of the many on here who had a major issue with what he said back in 2010 in regards to the draft? Well, if you were, then what he said yesterday was much worse.

Just how worse was it?

giphy.gif

It could come out that Cal just killed 10 people with an ax and there would be people on here saying oh that's ok, he just had a bad day and he is just trying to improve recruiting. It's mind boggling.

Well that's dumb. I've been a Wildcat fan since I was in middle school in the late 80's and I'm fine with the way Cal does things.

I think the line you were looking for is the morons who take Cal verbatim when he goes all hyperbole and those who don't.

Outliers always exist.

Win 30 games almost every season: check
Go to final four most seasons: check
Win it all: check
Threat to win it all every season: check
Be the talk of college basketball: check
#1 recruiting class almost every season: check
Beat Louisville: check
Infuriate rivals: check

Pretty much my dream checklist. Best six year stretch I can remember. Don't care about much else.

No flamer here, but why say it? He can get recruits regardless if he says stuff like that or not. His reputation for getting guys into the league speaks for itself. No kid is going to come to school here because Cal says that the goal was to get 8 guys into the draft. Why say it? What does it accomplish by saying this when you know the absolute 100% goal of every Big Blue fan was to win it all. I'm not saying that was not the ultimate goal for Cal, but why even say something like that?

about the only smart response in the thread up to the point of this post originally. it's also a flat out lie by him. Similar to the 2010 draft BS line he made, and still continues to trumpet. There was no reason to say that one either.

It could come out that Cal just killed 10 people with an ax and there would be people on here saying oh that's ok, he just had a bad day and he is just trying to improve recruiting. It's mind boggling.
Conversely, it could come out that Cal ended world hunger, donated millions of dollars to every person in the world, nursed sick puppies back to health, cured every known disease to man, won every title (for us UK fans of course), and you'd still have people like you poking and prodding that he said it was for the good of the world and not #K1C4!!!!1!!!!

Reactions: michaeluk26
Yeah because I am the one crying about a line our very successful coach said. I get so upset when he says things I don't like. I don't care about the success on the court and his methods to get there. I just care what he says at a business conference...

200.gif
I agree man, its nutz! Besties?

I honestly have no memory either way, but I highly doubt I was upset about it back then.

Yeah because I am the one crying about a line our very successful coach said. I get so upset when he says things I don't like. I don't care about the success on the court and his methods to get there. I just care what he says at a business conference...

200.gif

[roll]

I agree with you completely, but I do take offense to the post you quoted being the only one that made any sense; I feel that I amde

I agree man, its nutz! Besties?

I'll be your bestie brother... even if you have a difficult time dealing with little stuff

Reactions: joester5612

It could happen that a coach would accomplish all of this:
Win 30 games almost every season: check
Go to final four most seasons: check
Win it all: check
Threat to win it all every season: check
Be the talk of college basketball: check
#1 recruiting class almost every season: check
Beat Louisville: check
Infuriate rivals: check

Pretty much my dream checklist. Best six year stretch I can remember. Don't care about much else.

And some posters would still be overall unhappy with him, and would compare posters who forgive quotes about the importance of draft picks to forgiving axe murder.

What would be the difference if Cal said winning championship's was our number one goal and putting kids in the NBA was #2?

Do you think we would have another title?

Do you think the last 5 minutes of the Wisconsin game would have gone better?

Not sure of the uproar, unless you think we would have a better record or more championships?

Reactions: wcc31 and Willy4UK
What would be the difference if Cal said winning championship's was our number one goal and putting kids in the NBA was #2?

Do you think we would have another title?

Do you think the last 5 minutes of the Wisconsin game would have gone better?

Not sure of the uproar, unless you think we would have a better record or more championships?
I think that the #1 goal of the players is to get drafted, but I think they tried their best to win a championship, as well. Anybody that plays at this level, is competitive as all get out. No way they compete as hard as they do, in practice, and then not try to win every game. They just have too much pride, and this includes Cal.

Let's see:

Final Fours in 4 of the past 5 seasons.
Just completed an incredible 38-1 season.
Will produce perhaps 4 NBA lottery picks and 7 draftees.
Projected to be top 5 in 2016 by most in national media.
Top 3 recruiting class in hand with potential to improve with Jamal Murray.

Soooooo, let's watch posters pollute these boards whining about some harmless quote from Cal.

Yep. Our fan base has some morons.

Like, I'm not even one of those people who is upset, but I don't see where it's that bad to want your team's #1 goal to be winning the championship...

And for the record, I don't really believe what Cal said. Or any coach, for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT