ADVERTISEMENT

You Might Want to Sit Down For This One

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, to follow up on what ukcatsfan2 said, if you look back at late game scenarios in 2010, 2011, 2012, we often would do what we did at the end of that Wisconsin game and have our point guard try to drive and score or create. It's Calipari's go-to. Wall pulled it off. Knight pulled it off. Teague pulled it off, at the end of the year. Andrew struggled with that on and off throughout his time here and, though he'd been successful a lot at the end of the year, he couldn't pull it off in that game. Part of that's that Wisconsin was playing very good defense and taking that away. I guess Cal wanted to ride his point guard who'd led us that far, but letting it happen THREE times was maddening.

And that is fair. But it's also fair to say that when it's not there the first time, or second, or third, you might make an adjustment & try something else.

I think I've already been clear on that. I believe people chase the goals they really want to meet. I believe Cal when he says his goal is to get X guys drafted, to have his guys earn 3 billion in their careers. I am critical of the goal he is setting. As I said before, Cal mentioned that a coach or scout told him if he would play a traditional lineup, 7-8 guys, we would be unbeatable. Cal said he couldn't do that because it wasn't fair to the players. That simple example of what is most important to him says it all really. He actively coached in a manner that may have lessened our likelihood of winning a NC while increasing the likelihood his players got drafted. It will continue to be a growing problem if we don't win NC's and he continues to declare seasons a great success because of draft day. He isn't paid to get players to the NBA. Let me say it another way. What he is saying has a slight feel of "fans be damned, I'll do what I want" to it and is rubbing some the wrong way. Not in a really bad way, just a bit annoying. Everything about this program is from the fans, from the outrageous salaries, to the facilities, to the living quarters, to the TV exposure that helps his players reach their dreams on draft day. One may be wise to pay a bit more attention to the hand that feeds you and through unending support, helps you reach your goal for your players.

And you realize that UK was at their best when they were playing 10 guys, right? It was when he started shortening the rotation that they started struggling. So in essence, what wasn't best for the players, also wasn't best for the team. Do you guys even watch the games.

Reactions: michaeluk26
Yes I do! And if you don't think that plays on there minds when its been talked about that WHOLE week by the media, you may be missing something. The pressure of deciding whether they come back or not is discussed at every media session leading up to the final four.

I believe the pressure of that is just too much!

Typical...traditional UK fan.

Billy Gillispie on becoming the new head coach at UK:
"We're gonna cut down some nets"

Sounds like you're reaching, but ok. I've never seen this hook shot with either hand tho, and certainly not to the extent that it's some type offensive weapon. When have you seen him use a left handed hook?

Not reaching, I'm just able to see his improvement without it having to be some dramatic change in his game. If you haven't seen Willie Cauley-Stein hit a left hand hook then you really don't pay attention to the games much. I've seen the left hand hook plenty of times, its one of the most basic post moves period so forgive me if I can't pick out a specific time.

And that is fair. But it's also fair to say that when it's not there the first time, or second, or third, you might make an adjustment & try something else.

and as I sat in my seat from thus afar, I couldn't understand what it was we were trying to do that last 5 minutes.... we'd never not-executed like that before with this group!

Reactions: KFuqua
Not reaching, I'm just able to see his improvement without it having to be some dramatic change in his game. If you haven't seen Willie Cauley-Stein hit a left hand hook then you really don't pay attention to the games much. I've seen the left hand hook plenty of times, its one of the most basic post moves period so forgive me if I can't pick out a specific time.

Ok that's what I thought. Thanks.

And you realize that UK was at their best when they were playing 10 guys, right? It was when he started shortening the rotation that they started struggling. So in essence, what wasn't best for the players, also wasn't best for the team. Do you guys even watch the games.

How do you actually know that? We never played a traditional lineup, so how can you even remotely claim we were at our best when playing 10? Perhaps we were, perhaps not.

The mission of the University of Kentucky is to prepare it's students to be successful in their chosen profession. You would be hard pressed to find one professor in the history of UK who has lived up to that mission as well as Cal has.

Reactions: maverick1 and C8TS
Typical...traditional UK fan.

And exhibit A of how Cal's tweet can divide the fan base.

Who do you see as "traditional" fans? Why do you feel they need to be called out?

How would you label yourself & those in the fan base who agree with your views? Let me guess. "Real fans," right?

Well maybe you should go root for your hero Pitino. You sound like a closet cardfan to me. This isn't Cal worshipping...it's "seeing the undeniable results" that are born out of his philosophy. No other coach in CBB talks like this and yet can any of them boast 4 Final Fours in 5 years?
Hey pal, if you enjoy your coach saying that winning a title is secondary to the NBA, then you just keep on enjoying it! Pitino must be your hero since you are always bringing him up, let it go little buddy. Your name being Sloner, seems real similar to Sooner...hmm..? I think you are an Oklahoma fan secretly.

And exhibit A of how Cal's tweet can divide the fan base.

Who do you see as "traditional" fans? Why do you feel they need to be called out?

How would you label yourself & those in the fan base who agree with your views? Let me guess. "Real fans," right?

I'm glad someone else asked this. hard to say what I would be labeled next because I have an opinion of the subject!

Some so-called fans are never wrong, their opinion is the only one that matters, and oh, did I mention they are never wrong?

Cal is a wonderful recruiter and he is by far my favorite UK coach of all time. I understand he is a master salesman and is constantly working on his image that he is projecting out to the recruits and tailors his words and actions accordingly. I am not blind to what his intentions are when he speaks publicly.

That said, Cal does represent the University and the fans. When me makes statements like the infamous "this is the greatest day in UK history" and "our goal is to get 8 guys drafted not win the national championship" those reflect on the priorities of the University and how it is perceived as an institution and the values of the Big Blue Nation.

Cal's statements are blatantly foolish. They tarnish the University. They tarnish our rich tradition and history. They play directly into the hands of those that label us as nothing more than a feeder system to the NBA. Cal's job is not just to recruit and coach basketball. He's been handed a torch that is incredibly important to the very fiber of all Kentuckians as we take tremendous pride in our program. I think if Cal objectively weighs the gain in recruiting he makes by issuing these kinds of statements against the damage it does to the image of our University then he should conclude that it just isn't worth it. He could have talked about the great job the athletes did in the classroom and he could more often pay homage to the very tradition he seems to think just isn't that useful to him.

Save these remarks for your in-homes. To the recruits. In your public statements be more aware of the tremendous pride people have for the University and the program in this state. Don't sell every last shred of our dignity so cheaply.
You hit the nail on the head in many ways. This statement of his would not have bothered me as badly as it did had we done what we were supposed to do this year and win it all. I just do not get how he could say what he did with so many of us still in mourning over the Wisconsin loss. I hate to use a word like "mourning" but I personally have never been more devastated over a loss; as I am sure many of you feel the same way, even the sunshine pumpers that will claw you if you accuse of Cal of any wrongdoing.

Yes I do! And if you don't think that plays on there minds when its been talked about that WHOLE week by the media, you may be missing something. The pressure of deciding whether they come back or not is discussed at every media session leading up to the final four.

I believe the pressure of that is just too much!

Wow. Not been around KY basketball much? Maybe so, but the evidence doesn't support your long history with comments like that. And this post is not directed just at the author of the quoted text. Its just an example of a general behavior.

Yes, there was tremendous pressure this season, even for KY basketball. The NBA was not a concern. Calipari's statement was not a concern. The big 400 ton elephant in the room was the 0. As in 38 - 0 before the semi's. The pressure of that may have been too much. No team in history has been subjected to that amount of pressure. Do I think that pressure played a role? Yes. On players and coach. I don't think the average individual can understand that. Most of us have strived for maybe a county championship, maybe regional. A very select few for honors at a state or national level. Those pressures were nothing by comparison. This team was knocking on the door of legendary.

Crying and whining like children over coach speak because we're disappointed at missing history is petty. It diminishes the year this team had. It provides fodder for the likes of Tipton and other unscrupulous media types. If you must have a pity party (and that is EXACTLY what this is), try to keep it to yourself. Crying in public is so embarrassing. This is Kentucky Basketball. All the marbles are always on the table here. The kitchen is always hot. Its not for everybody and maybe not even for some fans.

Well Tubby and Billy Clyde didn't focus on the players......how did that work out?
CAL (Berkley) brags about it's successful business graduates, poets etc.... Harvard it's Law school and Medical school grads and everyone is OK with it. Cal has help make the UK program a launching point for young men to become successful at the highest level in their chosen profession. Championships are a very rare occurence so it must mean almost every coach fails consistently to meet their goal. The vast majority of people go to college to prepare themselves for a successful career. Why is basketball different or not a worthy career aspirations particularly if you have talent and or the love for the profession?
So, Tubby did not focus on the players? How the hell do you know? How did it work out you ask? Well, Tubby won just as many titles as Cal has, won one a lot quicker to, so put that up your pipe and smoke it. Let the Tubby bashing go, move on bro, worry bout why we keep under-achieving with overwhelming talent.

How do you actually know that? We never played a traditional lineup, so how can you even remotely claim we were at our best when playing 10? Perhaps we were, perhaps not.
I know that by paying attention to the games, and also looking at statistics. In 3 of the 5 tournament games we played, only 7 players played more than 10 minutes. Coincidentally, those were the 3 games we struggled in. We had what many called a historically great defense through the non-conference schedule, and winning every game except the UL game by double figures. We played 9-10 guys equal or at least somewhat equal minutes during that stretch. Then during the SEC we started struggling at the same time Cal started shortening the rotation. Is it a coincidence that after struggling several games, he inserted Hawkins and went back to the true platoon system, and we blow out a couple of teams, then as he starts shortening the rotation we begin to struggle again?

You could have made a better argument by saying he elected to play certain guys more to increase their draft stock, and thus it started hurting the team.

The mission of the University of Kentucky is to prepare it's students to be successful in their chosen profession. You would be hard pressed to find one professor in the history of UK who has lived up to that mission as well as Cal has.

Exactly. What if a university came out and said ... we only care about awards and accolades, we don't care much about whether or not the student actual succeeds after they leave here. Kids go to college to get better jobs and a leader (professor/coach) of the university is responsible to best prepare them, not win awards for their own benefit. Obviously, I want to win and so does Calipari or he wouldn't be on the sidelines ripping players, but at the same time, if you step back and look at it, Calipari is fulfilling many dreams and that is what a leader of the university is suppose to do. You will win if you have 7-8 kids go pro every year (it goes hand and hand)

If UK's engineering department had 8 kids leave school and take million dollar jobs, they'd be the best engineering program in the country.

I don't like it, but its damage control against the platoons IMO.

IMO the platoon system had nothing to do with our problems to attract top recruits during spring signing. It was because we had the best assemblage of college talent in the history of the game and DIDN'T win. Also IMO Cal's constant verbage about the NBA being more important than success in college imposes an attitude within the players minds that defeats the kill instinct. I mean, Willie claims to be heart broken about the Wisconsin loss, but was at the dealership's door Tuesday before opening time in order to get his new car. But I also believe that my opinion carries no weight because this is Cal's team and he has every right to do with it the way he likes.

What Cal has done here the last six years is astounding. Astounding. I swear to friggin' God it's as if some of you forgot the previous ten or so years before he came here.

While this is probably true, he didn't make those comments after that year. In reality, if your goals for the team are different, as a fan that is fine. My goals for the team is different. My goal is to win a national title. The difference is that I'm not bashing or calling out Cal because his goals differ in rank than mine. I don't care about the NBA, my only concern is UK. But why be all upset because his priorities and ours aren't the same? Is he not doing what we all want, regardless of his priorities? Sure he could have a couple more titles if things fell right, but when the tournament is a one and done format, the best team doesn't even win 50% of the time. But the best team has odds in it's favor to win, and Cal has had the best team in the country 3 out of the 6 years he's been here.
My hope is to win a national title or atleast be in the hunt every year.
otoh I expect us to do this while running a clean ship and having the university and state represented with class.
For the most part cal does all that and then some, but certain comments of his drive me crazy.

We've had a lot of success for a coach who doesn't care about winning. [eyeroll] I don't care if Cal cares more about his players becoming millionaires than titles because he's still winning. Why is this an issue? If Tom Crean said this than yes I'd take issue with it because he's not winning. But Cal is still winning. Caring about getting players to the NBA didn't magically make him stop coaching in the Final Four. You people are ridiculous.

Reactions: brianpoe
I can't wait to tell my grandson about the day John Wall scored a huge 2nd contract. My heart fills with pride at just the thought of it.

Reactions: .S&C.
Some of you people are ridiculous. Why should John Calipari worry about you mourning the loss of a game that you had no significant stake in? He coached the game! Prepared the team everyday for the chance at a championship. Don't you think he should be the one mourning if anyone is mourning at all? UK is literally accomplishing ALL the things a great program accomplishes. National title (check), Strong academics (check), No scandals (check), Amazing success each year (check). Yet you folks get mad because he says getting 8 guys to the draft was his goal? If a national championship is the ultimate goal for every coach then the NCAA breeds failure. Only one coach gets the win per year. That's 300+ failures per year. A person has got to define their career by more than just winning championships. Coach K has been coaching for 40+ years at Duke. He has five championships. Is he a failure because he didn't win more?

When you make the argument that tax dollars pay his salary and tradition and university pride should always take precedent you overestimate your fandom's impact. Every single person that doesn't like what he said can stop watching/supporting the team today and move from KY so UK gets no more of your tax dollars, it might not even make a blip in the grand scheme. The fact of the matter is that everyone is getting what they want out of the situation now. Anyone on this board that expects UK to win the title simply because they were a favorite is delusional. The best team rarely wins the tournament, there is too much parody. The committee likes it this way. Cal has the Cats in the Hunt every year.

Other than Coach K you can't name another coach in college basketball that's on Cal's level right now. Does 4 final fours in 5 years not mean anything to you? I truly believe if Cal won all 4 championship chances y'all would still find something to complain about. These young men come to Kentucky to realize a dream, to move their families into different social and economic classes. How can you possibly compare that to your fandom and tradition? How much fan pride did you have in the 2000's for Tubby? How much did you feel the tradition during the Billy G era? Most of you didn't you wanted to see UK win. Well they are now. Deal with the consequences of winning.

I've been around along time but hardly post. (First time posting since the new look). The op is using half of what someone says and Is upset about it. You don't get 10 All Americans without looking out for their interests. Also keep in mind Cal has said repeatedly since he got here this is a players first program, and if we are sincere in being a players first program they will drag us to where we want to be (FF, NC, in the hunt). If you think you have the recruiting success the Cal does without being a players first program then you are wrong.

You need decide if you want to go back to BCG/Tubby type years or let Cal say what he needs to say to sell the top recruits.

Reactions: brianpoe
My hope is to win a national title or atleast be in the hunt every year.
otoh I expect us to do this while running a clean ship and having the university and state represented with class.
For the most part cal does all that and then some, but certain comments of his drive me crazy.

What I don't get is that Cal references the fans, does things to include the fans, and genuinely thanks the fans for all their support. He does all this more often than he makes statements that upsets part of the fanbase. It's like if he doesn't constantly stroke the fanbase's ego, certain parts of the fanbase gets upset.

I'm okay with wanting players to "eat"...and everyone doing what is best for them at the appropriate time...

I am not okay with singling out "traditionalists" or the negative reaction to those who may put more weight in a title and what is best for UK...

UK is a state institution...meaning it is ours...we are paying for it through tax dollars, as well as donations, ticket sales, money spent on merchandise, etc...

He is on UK's payroll...not the NBA's...his max contract players are not sending him checks as far as I know...

those kids get to eat the best food, travel first class to the Bahamas, have access to rooms stocked full of top shelf nike gear, get new shoes, etc...because of the money the BBN drops...

it's great to care for the kids and promote their best interest...it's also okay to care about the program...very important to understand that it is not one versus the other, but both ideas can exist in harmony...
That's what gets me, why does it have to be one or the other but not both? Wouldn't it be much smarter to say "While it is very important to achieve the highest possible level ultimately including champtionships, and it was disappointing to fall short of that this year, but it is top priority for these players to continue on into a professional career." Why assume every recruit is self centered thinking only about getting to the NBA and doesn't give a crap about being a national champion? Many recruits may actually look up to even more, and be encouraged further to sign with, a coach that passionately wants to win a championship for his employers and publicly states it, as opposed to the opposite.

Why would a coach "throat punch" a segment of his own fan base?

What are the "big dividends" that came from losing?
Because they are stupid like you who get on here just to complain and do nothing but be a detriment to the program that type of fan supposedly cares about . The mouth breathers do nothing but point out the failures of all the success Cal has had . They do nothing but feed the worst stereotypes about UK fans and are the most ungrateful bums in sports , he most definitely pushes their buttons . He will never get any benefits from them as fans so there is nothing to lose . Of course you are a troll who makes every thread a conversation to where you are the central bitch , I'm finally following the masses in putting your attention seeking on ignore .

The big benefit of losing is getting to see the complainers get bent out of shape since they do nothing but complain . I'm glad the bums were denied their life sustaining title , it's the reasonable fans chance to watch them suffer for being insufferable about everything else . I love it , keep it coming .

Last edited:
This statement of his would not have bothered me as badly as it did had we done what we were supposed to do this year and win it all. I just do not get how he could say what he did with so many of us still in mourning over the Wisconsin loss.

Stop acting like an entitled child. You aren't owed anything. There is no we, you didn't score a point or coach a practice. And if you mourn a loss that you had no part in, then you need to grow up.

Lets see some names then, if there are so many coaches out there that can make 4 final four appearances, and two championship apprearances, and a title, in 6 years it shouldn't be hard to give some examples. The only guy I would consider is K and he's not leaving Duke without paying him a ridiculous amount of money.
I'm not saying I want to see these people coach at UK, nor would they necessarily ever be hired to do so, Im just offering a possible answer to the question of names of competent NCAAT coaches... How about Kevin Ollie who out coached Cal to win the title in 2014? How about Slick Rick who won the NC in 2013 while Cal was being out coached and pummeled in front of 3000 spectators in the first round of the NIT? How about Jim Calhoun who out coached Cal in the FF in 2011? how about Bob Huggins who out coached Cal to make it to the FF in 2010? All of which except Huggins has exactly the same number of NCAA titles as Cal during the same period. Of particular note is Pitino who went to 3 FF out of 6 years with 1 title while at UK with mostly scrub players (Cal is 4 FF out of 6 years with 1 title with mostly elite NBA players). Hell even the Tubster has the exact same amount of titles at UK as Cal. Once again, just answering the question of who else is possibly capable of doing better than Cal, FF and title wise, and most have actually demonstrated it by dealing an exit to Cal's teams in the NCAAT (except ironically Sixteeno).

Last edited:
I'm not saying I want to see these peole coach at UK, nor would they necessarily ever be hired to do so, Im just offering a possible answer to the question of names of competent NCAAT coaches... How about Kevin Ollie who out coached Cal to win the title in 2014? How about Slick Rick who won the NC in 2013 while Cal was being out coached and pummeled in front of 3000 spectators in the first round of the NIT? How about Jim Calhoun who out coached Cal in the FF in 2011? how about Bob Huggins who out coached Cal to make it to the FF in 2010? All of which except Huggins has exactly the same number of NCAA titles as Cal during the same period. Of particular note is Pitino who went to 3 FF out of 6 years with 1 title while at UK with mostly scrub players (Cal is 4 FF out of 6 years with 1 title with mostly elite NBA players). Hell even the Tubster has the exact same amount of titles at UK as Cal. Once again, just answering the question of who else is possibly capable of doing better than Cal, FF and title wise, and most have actually demonstrated it by dealing an exit to Cal's teams in the NCAAT (except ironically Sixteeno).

You lost me when you said Pitino won with mostly scrub players at UK. And if your only measurement of success is titles then you must think most coaches suck. The difference is Cal has taken UK to 4 Final fours in the last 5 years. Tubby took UK to 1 and then no more for almost a decade.

Kevin Ollie is not better than Cal...give me a break. Rick Pitino is not coming back to UK. Jim Calhoun is old and retired and not coming to UK. You mention two HOF coaches who are honestly better coaches than Cal overall (that could change if Cal stays at UK and wins another title or two), who have no chance of coming to UK. Huggins is not a better coach than Cal, and I'm not sure how he outcoached him anyways. UK had good wide open shots and it took shooting an unrealistically bad percentage for WVU to barely hold on to win the game.

Even if cal honestly thinks that getting one and dones to the nba is his primary interest and not winning titles, he shouldn't have said it publicly--very dumb.

You lost me when you said Pitino won with mostly scrub players at UK. And if your only measurement of success is titles then you must think most coaches suck. The difference is Cal has taken UK to 4 Final fours in the last 5 years. Tubby took UK to 1 and then no more for almost a decade.

Kevin Ollie is not better than Cal...give me a break. Rick Pitino is not coming back to UK. Jim Calhoun is old and retired and not coming to UK. You mention two HOF coaches who are honestly better coaches than Cal overall (that could change if Cal stays at UK and wins another title or two), who have no chance of coming to UK. Huggins is not a better coach than Cal, and I'm not sure how he outcoached him anyways. UK had good wide open shots and it took shooting an unrealistically bad percentage for WVU to barely hold on to win the game.
You missed the first part "I'm not saying I want to see these people coach at UK, nor would they necessarily ever be hired to do so, Im just offering a possible answer to the question of names of competent NCAAT coaches" Kevin Ollie was better than Cal on April 7, 2014 because his team won. Huggins out coached Cal that day defensively and FT and 3 point shot coaching. When your team has hit 4-32 3pt shots, at some point you say ixnay on the 3 ointerpays. Also when your team hits only 55% of their FTs, you might want to rethink that whole I'm not worried about practicing free throws thing.

You hit the nail on the head in many ways. This statement of his would not have bothered me as badly as it did had we done what we were supposed to do this year and win it all. I just do not get how he could say what he did with so many of us still in mourning over the Wisconsin loss. I hate to use a word like "mourning" but I personally have never been more devastated over a loss; as I am sure many of you feel the same way, even the sunshine pumpers that will claw you if you accuse of Cal of any wrongdoing.

So if we would have won two more games you would be ok with Cal saying this? See how little minded you are?

Mourning? Devastated? WTF are you a teenage girl or need to see a professional?

Cal's wrongdoing? His personal belief structure is wrongdoing? You think a man should change his personal priorities to fit yours because a group of college kids lost a basketball game?

At least BigbluefaninGA and 3rex think its possible that his "priorities" have cost us some wins (which i totally disagree with).

You just have your wittle feelwings hurt....

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Even if cal honestly thinks that getting one and dones to the nba is his primary interest and not winning titles, he shouldn't have said it publicly--very dumb.

Why can't the man state his beliefs publicly?

IMO the platoon system had nothing to do with our problems to attract top recruits during spring signing. It was because we had the best assemblage of college talent in the history of the game and DIDN'T win. Also IMO Cal's constant verbage about the NBA being more important than success in college imposes an attitude within the players minds that defeats the kill instinct. I mean, Willie claims to be heart broken about the Wisconsin loss, but was at the dealership's door Tuesday before opening time in order to get his new car. But I also believe that my opinion carries no weight because this is Cal's team and he has every right to do with it the way he likes.
There are so many things wrong with this, but in brief -

1. Cal still might get the #1 class this year, top 3 at worst. If that's his "struggling", it's still as good as we've ever had in recruiting.
2. Self and Miller sure as hell aren't having problems recrutiing atm and they've both done less than Cal with absolutely ridiculous talent.
3. If something awful just happened to you, but you knew you were about to make millions of dollars in a month or two, and the week after that awful thing happens, you are finally allowed to borrow against those millions of dollars, is it really inconceivable that you might buy a badass car to help cheer you up?

Seriously, that point about Willie is one of the worst I've ever seen on this forum, and that's saying a lot, because this is Rupp Rafters, after all.

Your evidence that he's not really sad is that he went to buy a car once he was no longer an amateur. Because you think sad people who suddenly have access to lots of money would never go buy a car.

If that's the kind of "evidence" you use to call one of our players a liar, then go back under your dirty little bridge and think harder so you can troll more convincingly next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT