ADVERTISEMENT

You Might Want to Sit Down For This One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that a lot of people are not going to believe it but there is a lot of coaches out there that if you paid them 8 million a year could and would come to UK and do just as well as Calipari. The effect you have been seeing the past several years is because of a marriage of a very good coach and the all time winningest program in basketball history. It is my opinion that there is plenty of coaches that could do what Calipari has done at UK if they were at UK. Heck maybe even better and win the NC when they get to the final four. I out of five or six is not setting the world on fire. I have always been a believer that talent can get you to the final four but coaching wins it because the talent is about even when you get there.
Jeez you people have swallowed Caliparis hype hook line and sinker and put him on a pedestal.

Interesting new take on page seven of this thread. Since I'm a B1G fan, I'll chime in (and potentially take lots of vitriol and personal insults) for which B1G coaches could, IMO only, win as much as Calipari if they had UK's tradition/fan interest/roster/budget/facilities. I'll leave Coach Crean out of it because I'm not trying to start a flame-fest:

Izzo
Ryan
Matta
Belien
Painter
Collins
Maybe Chambers

IMO only.

So, Tubby did not focus on the players? How the hell do you know? How did it work out you ask? Well, Tubby won just as many titles as Cal has, won one a lot quicker to, so put that up your pipe and smoke it. Let the Tubby bashing go, move on bro, worry bout why we keep under-achieving with overwhelming talent.

So "Bro" or Dude" or whatever else is appropriate for your "street cred", Tubby didn't recruit the team he won with and his approach to recruiting was ringing a dinner bell and yelling "Come and get it". How successful has he been even since he left here?! You also ignored the key point of the post but that what you seem to do. Give the "put that in your pipe and smoke it" taunt back to you grandpa.

I'm not saying I want to see these people coach at UK, nor would they necessarily ever be hired to do so, Im just offering a possible answer to the question of names of competent NCAAT coaches... How about Kevin Ollie who out coached Cal to win the title in 2014? How about Slick Rick who won the NC in 2013 while Cal was being out coached and pummeled in front of 3000 spectators in the first round of the NIT? How about Jim Calhoun who out coached Cal in the FF in 2011? how about Bob Huggins who out coached Cal to make it to the FF in 2010? All of which except Huggins has exactly the same number of NCAA titles as Cal during the same period. Of particular note is Pitino who went to 3 FF out of 6 years with 1 title while at UK with mostly scrub players (Cal is 4 FF out of 6 years with 1 title with mostly elite NBA players). Hell even the Tubster has the exact same amount of titles at UK as Cal. Once again, just answering the question of who else is possibly capable of doing better than Cal, FF and title wise, and most have actually demonstrated it by dealing an exit to Cal's teams in the NCAAT (except ironically Sixteeno).
Here's the problem.

You can always say this, unless Cal literally goes undefeated most years at UK.

He almost always has a talent advantage here at UK, so unless he beats everyone in his path, some people will hold it against him, which is absurd.

The last time he had a significant talent deficit in the tourney, he came out on top against two HOF coaches ('11 vs Matta and Roy).

The last time he reaally had a chance to "prove himself" without a talent edge (at UMASS) when he ran a program that was constantly at a significant talent deficit, he produced a mid major run that was better than Gregg Marshall or Shaka Kahn's, and he only had one player that even had high major offers on the roster.

At the end of the day, you're talking about one game scenarios (basically all losses to HOF coaches with the same or higher seeds - and the Calhoun UCONN team is a bad example - go look at his roster in '11 and tell me there was a talent gap. IF there was one, it was in UCONN's favor).
You're weighing those individual game scenarios more heavily than the entire rest of his body of work, which is insane, because a. he's had at worst the second best body of work at that time and b. because it's a one game format.

If you think that the coach with the best talent 4 out of 6 years should therefore win the title 3 or 4 times or he's underperforming, you're insane. You're not taking into account the other HOF coaches, and the other A+ recruiters, and most importantly, the statistical reality of a 6 game, single elimination format. And 2 of those years the 3 best players on the team were freshmen.

The single game format thing can not be emphasized enough. All it takes is one bad night. Even the GD '96 Bulls lost 3 games in the post season. That's why in every single pro league (without game time restrictions like in college), they have a series format between teams.

I wish everyone posting on this forum could go back through history and look at typical rates of winning championships for every legendary coach in the modern era. And then I wish they'd all take a course in statistics. Some of this stuff is like persuading someone that the earth is round.

Last edited:
Interesting new take on page seven of this thread. Since I'm a B1G fan, I'll chime in (and potentially take lots of vitriol and personal insults) for which B1G coaches could, IMO only, win as much as Calipari if they had UK's tradition/fan interest/roster/budget/facilities. I'll leave Coach Crean out of it because I'm not trying to start a flame-fest:

Izzo
Ryan
Matta
Belien
Painter
Collins
Maybe Chambers

IMO only.
Lmao. UK's resources, eh?

He accomplished more than half of those guys at UMASS, which had been to 1 NCAA tourney in 1962 in its entire history.

At Memphis he was comparable with all of them except Izzo.

At UK, he's demolished all of them.

The reason you should leave Coach Crean out is because he sucks ass and he can't even make an Elite 8 without an emerging top 5 player in the world carrying him.

Good of you to acknowledge the true hierarchy of program excellence, though.

Reactions: mapcatfan

Izzo
Ryan
Matta
Belien
Painter
Collins
Maybe Chambers

IMO only.

There are plenty of coaches that could win on Cal's level IF they also get the roster. This is the part most don't factor into coaching. Cal has to recruit these guys to come to UK. No other coach in UK history has brought in the talent Cal has. The players he brings in are just as important as any other facet.

Reactions: mapcatfan
Stop acting like an entitled child. You aren't owed anything. There is no we, you didn't score a point or coach a practice. And if you mourn a loss that you had no part in, then you need to grow up.

Wow...you would think the concept of fans living & dying with their favorite teams successes & failures was a new one, one that just started with Coach Cal.

I never realized fans of every team, NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS & CBB who have mourned a loss that they had no part in, just "need to grow up."

Lmao. UK's resources, eh?

He accomplished more than half of those guys at UMASS, which had been to 1 NCAA tourney in 1962 in its entire history.

At Memphis he was comparable with all of them except Izzo.

At UK, he's demolished all of them.

The reason you should leave Coach Crean out is because he sucks ass and he can't even make an Elite 8 without an emerging top 5 player in the world carrying him.

Good of you to acknowledge the true hierarchy of program excellence, though.

Yup, idiotic post by the Hoosier. None of those guys except Matta could even come close to recruiting players needed to win big at UK. Izzo would do well here, but he would get a lot more grief than Cal does for his style and coming up short in the Final Four.

You need decide if you want to go back to BCG/Tubby type years or let Cal say what he needs to say to sell the top recruits.

this reasoning, seen over & over on this board, is maddening.

It's as if there's no in between, and schools all over the country are either being run into the ground by Billy Clyde/Tubby type coaches or having major successes with Cal types.

Wow...you would think the concept of fans living & dying with their favorite teams successes & failures was a new one, one that just started with Coach Cal.

I never realized fans of every team, NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS & CBB who have mourned a loss that they had no part in, just "need to grow up."

Come on Rex, joe is going a little over the top:

"This statement of his would not have bothered me as badly as it did had we done what we were supposed to do this year and win it all."

"with so many of us still in mourning over the Wisconsin loss"

"I personally have never been more devastated"

Cal having these personal beliefs should not be considered "wrongdoings", this guy is not making any case other than his feelings are hurt.

It's as if there's no in between, and schools all over the country are either being run into the ground by Billy Clyde/Tubby type coaches or having major successes with Cal types.

Cal is NOT going to change his belief structure to make a handful of unreasonable fans happy.

Thus you have Cal and his thought process or another option. What is the middle ground? You want to keep Cal but are mad at him because he prioritizes differently than you do...?

Because they are stupid like you who get on here just to complain and do nothing but be a detriment to the program that type of fan supposedly cares about . The mouth breathers do nothing but point out the failures of all the success Cal has had . They do nothing but feed the worst stereotypes about UK fans and are the most ungrateful bums in sports , he most definitely pushes their buttons . He will never get any benefits from them as fans so there is nothing to lose . Of course you are a troll who makes every thread a conversation to where you are the central bitch , I'm finally following the masses in putting your attention seeking on ignore .

The big benefit of losing is getting to see the complainers get bent out of shape since they do nothing but complain . I'm glad the bums were denied their life sustaining title , it's the reasonable fans chance to watch them suffer for being insufferable about everything else . I love it , keep it coming .

One of the strangest takes I've seen here. Losing now has a "dividend," a "benefit," that being "...getting to see the complainers get bent out of shape."
Just an odd slant on things.

OMG I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING IF CAL DIDN'T WIN IT ALL WITH 7 NBA PLAYERS THEN HOW MANY WILL IT TAKE FOR HIM TO WIN IT ALL???

Yup, idiotic post by the Hoosier. None of those guys except Matta could even come close to recruiting players needed to win big at UK. Izzo would do well here, but he would get a lot more grief than Cal does for his style and coming up short in the Final Four.
Outstanding point. He doesn't go nearly as often, yet he's praised as the final four king. And when he does go, his success rate is lower than Cal's.

And yet he's a legendary HOFer who anyone would take to coach their school. Tells you the standard that some people hold Cal to.

Cal is NOT going to change his belief structure to make a handful of unreasonable fans happy.

Thus you have Cal and his thought process or another option. What is the middle ground? You want to keep Cal but are mad at him because he prioritizes differently than you do...?

No, not really. I admit I'm a bit "old-school." The crazy thing is that I have always loved the NBA, been a Lakers fan for bout 40 years.
But at the same time, I tire of hearing my coach talk about it seemingly constantly. It doesn't anger me, nothing like that, but I've sorta gotten to the point of...if that's his belief, that's fine, he has been successful with it certainly. I just seems like he's reveling a little too much in rubbing the fans, the "traditionalists" noses in it.

It's as if there's no in between, and schools all over the country are either being run into the ground by Billy Clyde/Tubby type coaches or having major successes with Cal types.[/QU

There's nothing maddening about it. There's no middle ground. It's not a knock on Tubby or BCG. Either you want to be a premier school, such as UK or Duke, who have embraced this philosophy, or you want to go back to the old way of happy to make the tournament. Would you feel better if we had Self? Attempting to make a run but flaming out and getting embarrassed on a national stage by the successful one and done coaches?

I understand being old school and liking the traditions but this is a new generation of kids that want it to be all about them (as a whole). Either we have a coach such as Cal that gets the pick of the litter by saying such things, or we take the leftovers and have ineligible kids playing and shady characters running around like Kansas.

I think the question should be...Does Cal have to have a roster far superior to anyone else to be able to win a championship?...Next year we will find out...Others do it ..can he?

Cal has taken a team to the Final Four with a roster not far superior to anyone else...in 2011. He lost by 1 point, because Brandon Knight had a terrible shooting day and we could not hit any FTs and because Kemba Walker was a beast.

I'm also not buying that in 2012 UK was far superior talented to 2012 UNC. You are going to rant about it being so because of Davis in the NBA, but the fact is UK started 3 frosh and 3 soph while UNC had everyone back from a team that almost made the Final FOur anwas the favorite to win it all in 2011-2012. They also had 4 guys go in the first round in the 2012 draft, including 3 lotto picks, and had two more players from the team go 1st round in 2013 and 2014 drafts. So your argument fails...if you are saying that is why he won in 2012.

Besides, most of the time the champ is one of the most talented teams, if not the best team. 2015 Duke was right there with UK 1-7 in terms of talent and skill...unfortunately we did not get to see that. 2014 UCONN is a good example. 2013 UL was right there with IU as the perceived favorite, 2012 UK with 2012 UNC, 2011 UCONN won it but they did not have to play a tough top team...thanks to UK and VCU knocking out the favorites. 2010 saw favorite KU (people keep forgetting they were the top sseed and more picked them to win it all than UK), and co-favorite/2nd favorite UK get upset early, and Duke took advantage to win it all. That said, Duke was the 3rd best team after Syracuse's big man was off their roster. 2009 UNC was the best by far, 2008 KU was one of 4 elite teams, 2007 FL was the best....and I can go on for most other years and point out their great talents for champs as well.

Reactions: brianpoe
No, not really. I admit I'm a bit "old-school." The crazy thing is that I have always loved the NBA, been a Lakers fan for bout 40 years.
But at the same time, I tire of hearing my coach talk about it seemingly constantly. It doesn't anger me, nothing like that, but I've sorta gotten to the point of...if that's his belief, that's fine, he has been successful with it certainly. I just seems like he's reveling a little too much in rubbing the fans, the "traditionalists" noses in it.

There's a good point in your statement but I think you may be missing it. Its the NBA policy on draft entry and age/year of entry that puts the coach in a position of needing to make these sorts of statements. Anyone with common sense knows that seeing his players succeed beyond their stint at UK is not his only goal (though it would be an important one to any caring coach). However, the nature of his job demands he make the best of the situation the NBA has forced him into. Clearly, the approach he is taking is successful. Part of that approach is being very public about his acknowledgement and concurrence with the goals of these kids. I would much rather he play the game he plays than to coddle the few fans that have sensitive sphincters. Like you, I am a traditionalist with nearly 5 decades of as a rabid KY fan. I'd much rather he rub your nose in it than not have some of these stellar athletes.

I suspect you really feel the same way, given the common sense underlying the post you just made.

Last edited:

I think the hang up here is change. Like it or not the "traditionalist" mind state is slowly fading away. This is a new generation with different priorities. Players have more freedom than ever before as far as decision making for college or the NBA goes. Look how Izzo's traditional mindset is hurting him in recruiting. Izzo did a hell of a job with his guys this year but was helped by a lot of veteran leadership. Look at how the traditional mindset has hurt Pitino, hell he can't even keep 5 star prospects committed long enough to make it to campus. Both guys have experienced great success since Cal has been at UK but neither has had the sustained success Cal and UK enjoys year in and year out. As I've said before Coach K is the only coach that you can even compare Cal to since he has been at UK.

I'm going to assume Cal didn't think it was a benefit to his guys draft stock to lose to Wisconsin. Armed with that belief I have additionally assumed he planned to win the game and any subsequent game thereafter.

Then again what do I know. Maybe he talked to scouts beforehand and was told his guys were locked into position and made an executive decision to lose to prevent injury.
Strong work.

Cal has taken a team to the Final Four with a roster not far superior to anyone else...in 2011. He lost by 1 point, because Brandon Knight had a terrible shooting day and we could not hit any FTs and because Kemba Walker was a beast.

I'm also not buying that in 2012 UK was far superior talented to 2012 UNC. You are going to rant about it being so because of Davis in the NBA, but the fact is UK started 3 frosh and 3 soph while UNC had everyone back from a team that almost made the Final FOur anwas the favorite to win it all in 2011-2012. They also had 4 guys go in the first round in the 2012 draft, including 3 lotto picks, and had two more players from the team go 1st round in 2013 and 2014 drafts. So your argument fails...if you are saying that is why he won in 2012.

Besides, most of the time the champ is one of the most talented teams, if not the best team. 2015 Duke was right there with UK 1-7 in terms of talent and skill...unfortunately we did not get to see that. 2014 UCONN is a good example. 2013 UL was right there with IU as the perceived favorite, 2012 UK with 2012 UNC, 2011 UCONN won it but they did not have to play a tough top team...thanks to UK and VCU knocking out the favorites. 2010 saw favorite KU (people keep forgetting they were the top sseed and more picked them to win it all than UK), and co-favorite/2nd favorite UK get upset early, and Duke took advantage to win it all. That said, Duke was the 3rd best team after Syracuse's big man was off their roster. 2009 UNC was the best by far, 2008 KU was one of 4 elite teams, 2007 FL was the best....and I can go on for most other years and point out their great talents for champs as well.
Also, if you look at '96 UMASS - top to bottom, one of the less talent F4 teams we've seen in a while. They had Camby, yes, but literally no one else with a D1 offer. Yet Cal turned them into a monster team that beat the GOAT UK team by 10 at one point and went to a F4, only to be stopped by the GOAT team.

It makes my hair hurt that some of you dumb sob's can't get the message. We get 7-8 drafted we have had one helluva season. Jesus Christ, you can't fix stupid!

Cal is about Cal. Not UK or anywhere else he has coached. He does things his way. Not the UK way or Memphis way or UMass way.

Always Remember: Duke Owns UK

Double post. Memory slipping a bit? Too much cake, I suppose. Or perhaps something communicable.

12 pages now. Seriously?

In summary, we have a bunch of old farts clinging to some mystical "tradition" that hasn't existed for 20 years and we have others in "mourning" over a GAME played by kids that occurred almost two months ago? You mourn the loss of a family member, close friend or relationship. You get over losing a damn ballgame. Geez.

Some of you people need a career or a hobby so you won't obsess so much over college kids putting a ball trough a hoop.

Some of you people are ridiculous. Why should John Calipari worry about you mourning the loss of a game that you had no significant stake in? He coached the game! Prepared the team everyday for the chance at a championship. Don't you think he should be the one mourning if anyone is mourning at all? UK is literally accomplishing ALL the things a great program accomplishes. National title (check), Strong academics (check), No scandals (check), Amazing success each year (check). Yet you folks get mad because he says getting 8 guys to the draft was his goal? If a national championship is the ultimate goal for every coach then the NCAA breeds failure. Only one coach gets the win per year. That's 300+ failures per year. A person has got to define their career by more than just winning championships. Coach K has been coaching for 40+ years at Duke. He has five championships. Is he a failure because he didn't win more?

When you make the argument that tax dollars pay his salary and tradition and university pride should always take precedent you overestimate your fandom's impact. Every single person that doesn't like what he said can stop watching/supporting the team today and move from KY so UK gets no more of your tax dollars, it might not even make a blip in the grand scheme. The fact of the matter is that everyone is getting what they want out of the situation now. Anyone on this board that expects UK to win the title simply because they were a favorite is delusional. The best team rarely wins the tournament, there is too much parody. The committee likes it this way. Cal has the Cats in the Hunt every year.

Other than Coach K you can't name another coach in college basketball that's on Cal's level right now. Does 4 final fours in 5 years not mean anything to you? I truly believe if Cal won all 4 championship chances y'all would still find something to complain about. These young men come to Kentucky to realize a dream, to move their families into different social and economic classes. How can you possibly compare that to your fandom and tradition? How much fan pride did you have in the 2000's for Tubby? How much did you feel the tradition during the Billy G era? Most of you didn't you wanted to see UK win. Well they are now. Deal with the consequences of winning.

This thread is funny. Some people don't like what Cal said, some hate that someone hates that Cal said something, and some even love that he said something he maybe shouldn't have because it upsets people? pretty much it?

Rupp. Rafters. lol. It's why I come here.

As for the highlighted above, I'd love to see your face if Rupp Arena sold 2,000 tickets per game this year. Now THAT would be funny right! Watching all the university big hitters try and get the fans to SAVE the sport they have no "stake in" and come back? HAHAHAHAHA

Edit+ I thought this was the other other thread, I've already been this one. But oh well.......It's universal right now.

12 pages now. Seriously?

In summary, we have a bunch of old farts clinging to some mystical "tradition" that hasn't existed for 20 years and we have others in "mourning" over a GAME played by kids that occurred almost two months ago? You mourn the loss of a family member, close friend or relationship. You get over losing a damn ballgame. Geez.

Some of you people need a career or a hobby so you won't obsess so much over college kids putting a ball trough a hoop.

Too funny. You are spending time on a damn message board obsessing over someones opinion about a damn ballgame! Who's in mourning? Who here would compare their Mom passing away to a "ballgame"? Did you make that up? Come on now!

BTW, there were ADULTS playing in that game two months ago. But I do love the "kid" angle that is thrown around like these guys aren't elitist athletes that have the world in their hands. LOL! I wonder what Willie would say if you actually called him a "kid" to his face. I bet that would be really funny.

I collect high end sports memorabilia, cards, money, and play around with UK basketball as my hobby. Since being on this board right now is not a hobby to you, what exactly do you call what you're doing right now? Just wondering.

The cal basher bashers don't always have a good look. haha.

This thread is funny. Some people don't like what Cal said, some hate that someone hates that Cal said something, and some even love that he said something he maybe shouldn't have because it upsets people? pretty much it?

Rupp. Rafters. lol. It's why I come here.

As for the highlighted above, I'd love to see your face if Rupp Arena sold 2,000 tickets per game this year. Now THAT would be funny right! Watching all the university big hitters try and get the fans to SAVE the sport they have no "stake in" and come back? HAHAHAHAHA

Edit+ I thought this was the other other thread, I've already been this one. But oh well.......It's universal right now.

Why would you love to see my face? Doesn't effect my pockets. I'll watch UK basketball regardless of what Coach Cal or any other coach for that matter does with the program. I love UK basketball period. As far as Rupp Arena only selling 2,000 tickets for games, the entire premise makes no sense. Are you saying that the group of folks that don't like Cal's statement are large enough in numbers to boycott UK basketball? If so that's fine with me, I'll be the first in line to grab their season tickets. There are plenty of rational fans that would like to enjoy the games without being uhappy about some comment made at a conference most were unaware existed until two days ago.

So, Tubby did not focus on the players? How the hell do you know? How did it work out you ask? Well, Tubby won just as many titles as Cal has, won one a lot quicker to, so put that up your pipe and smoke it. Let the Tubby bashing go, move on bro, worry bout why we keep under-achieving with overwhelming talent.
I'm not even going to address this post because comparing what Tubby did at UK to what Cal has done at UK, acting like they're even close to being on equal ground pretty much speaks for itself.

I will say, though, after making that post, I think it's time you sat this one out because you're getting carried away with your agenda.

I'm not even going to address this post because comparing what Tubby did at UK to what Cal has done at UK, acting like they're even close to being on equal ground pretty much speaks for itself.

I will say, though, after making that post, I think it's time you sat this one out because you're getting carried away with your agenda.
So, why is it ok to bash Tubby and its not ok to bash Cal? I am confused. Let me ask you, what really matters in ncaa basketball when you are a kentucky wildcat fan? Championships right? How many does Tubby have? How many does Cal have? Yea they are equal huh. So maybe u should check ur agenda

Why would you love to see my face?

Can you read - "if Rupp Arena sold 2,000 tickets per game this year. Now THAT would be funny right! Watching all the university big hitters try and get the fans to SAVE the sport they have no "stake in" and come back? HAHAHAHAHA"

Are you saying that the group of folks that don't like Cal's statement are large enough in numbers to boycott UK basketball?

Haha, no, YOU said that. You like the straw man don't you? You seem to have it down.
If so that's fine with me, I'll be the first in line to grab their season tickets. There are plenty of rational fans that would like to enjoy the games without being uhappy about some comment made at a conference most were unaware existed until two days ago.

There are plenty of people who see things different ways who are rational. Do you like robots? I bet you love robots. The ones that are programed and repeat themselves?

So, why is it ok to bash Tubby and its not ok to bash Cal? I am confused. Let me ask you, what really matters in ncaa basketball when you are a kentucky wildcat fan? Championships right? How many does Tubby have? How many does Cal have? Yea they are equal huh. So maybe u should check ur agenda
190 wins
4 FF's
22 NCAA Tournament wins
1 National title.

Deal with it.

Reactions: michaeluk26
Yep, you're right. What was I thinking? Cal and Tubby are most certainly equals when it comes to coaching basketball because they've both won the same amount of Championships, and nothing else matters.

Reactions: michaeluk26

:thumbsdown:

Wow, it must be hard to maintain your level of stupidity. Tubby took one team with another coach's players to a title, and he deserves the credit for that. Not one other FF since, no level of success at the two other schools he's been to since he left. He only bothered to recruit once every 3 or 4 years so he wouldn't get fired. Yep, they are just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT