3. 5 star 2 guard in his 3rd year
4. 5 star power forward in his 4th year
5. Ukrainian sharpshooter
6. 4* 6'7 wing that shoots over 40% from the arc
7. 2 big men vets that are 6'10
8. 5* Freshman PF
9. 4 star freshman PF
10. HOF coach

No way UK wins this on paper...but if we do...hmmm....
You left out the 2 Helms banners hanging in the top of the barn. Powerful stuff right there.

He might be 5'10". He is a little taller than me but I don't thing he is 6 foot. He's pretty jacked, I hope he turns out like Drew Bledsoe since they are a similar size.
drew-bledsoe.jpg

Reactions: brianpoe
I wouldn't trust Frank Mason to bag my groceries...and if they're being honest with themselves, Kansas fans don't either.

Kansas fans crack me up. It's like Groundhog Day every year. Looking forward to you bitching out in March again. I'm sure lil Frankie will shoot 4-20 and have 6-7 TOs.

Reactions: UK till Death
I knew Willie was a football star, but now we expect Ulis to be a Super Bowl winning quarterback too?

W2B, keep your head up

Look- Kansas ON PAPER is always a terror. Kansas IN SEASON is usually great. But you just can't ignore that choke DNA running through their veins.

I agree- POTENTIALLY- the Jayhawks could really be something. Diallo, Bragg and Ellis. Svi, Green and Selden. Graham and Mason. That's a helluva Big 8 if they all reach thneir potential. BUT...

I don't trust Mason. Sometimes he's great. Sometimes he's a train without an engine.

I don't trust Ellis. He's soft and can disappear on you.

I love Diallo...but I also loved Alexander at this point. Same strengths and weaknesses. Should we really count on him to be great?

You could talk me into KU preseason #1 pretty easily. I could easily see another flameout, too.

not even close. ullis has proven himself, mason is all hype

I don't think there is anyone I'd take over Ulis for what UK has next year. However, this is just false. PER 48 NUMBERS...

Frank Mason - 18.1 PPG, 5.6 APG, 5.2 RPG, 2.0 SPG, .1 BPG, 44.1% FG, 42.9% 3PTFG%, 78.6 FT%
Tyler Ulis - 11.3 PG, 7.3 APG, 3.6 RPG, 2.0 SPG, .2 BPG, 40.6 FG%, 42.9 3PTFG%, .80.8 FT%

"Josh Selby ain't walkin' through that door, folks. Aaron Miles ain't walkin' through that door. And if they do walk through that door, they're gonna be gray and old from all the years of playing church league basketball."

Reactions: brianpoe
You could talk me into KU preseason #1 pretty easily. I could easily see another flameout, too.

Pretty accurate, especially considering they have one guy who has any type of toughness on their roster, and he happens to be a raw freshman with limited offensive skills.

UK, UNC, Maryland and Duke will be the class of the nation. Too much talent and just enough experience on each roster to create the perfect mix. Kansas will be left behind once again.

No one has explained to me why this Duke team is more like the two national title teams instead of the 8 Duke teams the last 11 years who flamed out Sweet 16 or worse (including four 1st weekend knockouts).

No one has explained to me why this Duke team is more like the two national title teams instead of the 8 Duke teams the last 11 years who flamed out Sweet 16 or worse (including four 1st weekend knockouts).

Duke 2015-16 is probably closer to first round flameout Duke than title winning Duke.

The people on here that are scared of Duke are living in fear of what Duke 2016-17 is expected to be.

Duke 2015-16 is probably closer to first round flameout Duke than title winning Duke.

The people on here that are scared of Duke are living in fear of what Duke 2016-17 is expected to be.

Which is fair. That team looks to be a monster. This year's team is overrated, though.

Kansas fan here. I know I'm going to get murdered on this thread by you die-hard UK fans but here it goes: I think some of the people on this thread are definitely underestimating Mason. Last season he had 21 games straight scoring 10 or more points. Mason is not a natural PG, he came to Kansas as a scoring guard, but Ulis is definitely a PG. Ulis is an amazing athlete and player and I'll be excited to see Mason and Ulis go head to head. Many Kansas fans won't admit this but we are nervous for our match up in Lawrence. I have all the respect for Kentucky and can't wait to take you on in January.

Last edited:
Reactions: wcc31 and jarms24
Look- Kansas ON PAPER is always a terror. Kansas IN SEASON is usually great. But you just can't ignore that choke DNA running through their veins.

I agree- POTENTIALLY- the Jayhawks could really be something. Diallo, Bragg and Ellis. Svi, Green and Selden. Graham and Mason. That's a helluva Big 8 if they all reach thneir potential. BUT...

I don't trust Mason. Sometimes he's great. Sometimes he's a train without an engine.

I don't trust Ellis. He's soft and can disappear on you.

I love Diallo...but I also loved Alexander at this point. Same strengths and weaknesses. Should we really count on him to be great?

Not getting into the Ulis vs Mason debate. Both are studs and both could get the better of one another.

About Mason, he's the one guy us Jayhawk fans trusted game to game last year. Scored double figures in 21 straight games last year and in 29 of 36 games. He's not an assist man but he does take good care of the ball and is a strong finisher. Like Ulis, if you leave him open he's going to bury the shot. Seemed to hit a bit of a wall down the stretch though probably from playing so many minutes. We expect big things this year from him.

Most of us aren't sure if we trust Ellis either. He's usually good for a double figure game but he could do so much more game to game.

Selden is the key for us. If he plays consistently like he did in Korea then we'll take that next step. If not we'll have an up and down season similar to last year.

Not sure what to expect from Diallo. Could be similar to Alexander or could be what we thought Alexander would be. With our roster I'll be happy if he gives us something similar to what Jameel McKay gave ISU this past year. Anything more will be gravy.

4 page thread over at The Phog right now.

Kiimo made a very good post, it's no surprise that Ulis is likely better than KU fans give him credit for and it's no surprise Mason is likely better than UK fans give him credit for.

What say you Rafters? How do you see this matchup playing out?

I think mason will score more points on worse shooting, have more turnovers and Kansas will lose. Not at all impressed with that kid. Matter of fact, trying to remember the last true guard for Kansas I HAVE been impressed with. Maybe Chalmers? The rest of them have guided Kansas to flame outs unless they had stillman white in front of them.

Mason has only gotten better at Bill Self's system.

That's why so many of his players can look so good in college and then flop in the NBA. What he's teaching them is a system. Cal teaches his players basketball. And Ulis was already a hell of a ball player when he got here.

All this talk about Frank Mason made me think I'd missed something about his game so I watched the UK-KU game from last year.

Nope. Ulis was much quicker, in control and saw the court much better. Mason struggled. I had forgotten the the Kentucky starters were a little sluggish in the first several minutes. The score was 8-7 when the Ulis-led platoon first entered the game. He immediately scored on Mason and set up two more baskets by beating Mason into the paint, and the rout was on. Kansas' only spurt was to close it to ten at the half. Cal started the Ulis group in the second half and the Cats blew it open with Ulis in command and Lee the most athletic player on the court.

By the way, Poythress and Lee both suppressed Ellis when guarding him. He was a non-factor. And Lee took it to him with a nice offensive move the first minute he was in the game. Alex obliterated two of Mason's drives by beating him down the court on fast breaks.

Wow. I have never seen such an exaggeration in my life. Ullis was almost a non-factor in that game (unless you count more turnovers than assists dominating):

Box Score for Ullis:

17 minutes
1-2 fgm
0-1 from three
2-2 free throws
2 rebounds
0 assists
1 steal
2 turnovers
4 fouls

It was your bigs that dominated that game and the Harrison twins from the perimeter.

How could anyone think Kansas is better than us this year??? We're the better team and we have the most talent.

All this talk about Frank Mason made me think I'd missed something about his game so I watched the UK-KU game from last year.

Nope. Ulis was much quicker, in control and saw the court much better. Mason struggled. I had forgotten the the Kentucky starters were a little sluggish in the first several minutes. The score was 8-7 when the Ulis-led platoon first entered the game. He immediately scored on Mason and set up two more baskets by beating Mason into the paint, and the rout was on. Kansas' only spurt was to close it to ten at the half. Cal started the Ulis group in the second half and the Cats blew it open with Ulis in command and Lee the most athletic player on the court.

By the way, Poythress and Lee both suppressed Ellis when guarding him. He was a non-factor. And Lee took it to him with a nice offensive move the first minute he was in the game. Alex obliterated two of Mason's drives by beating him down the court on fast breaks.

I think it extremely generous to say that Mason and the entire Kansas team 'struggled' in the UK-KU game last year. Mason, Ellis Selden, Alexander, Wiggins were all 'non-factors' and were thoroughly beaten in all parts of the game. But the biggest failure was Coach Self. His game plan to drive into the shot-blocking taller UK BIGS proved disastrous. But here is the deal, last year was last year. This year's game isn't a replay of the last game. I think the both teams have great talent. The Utis vs. Mason match-up isn't even the key to the game. Mason may not even be the primary PG for most of the game. Self's High/Low offense runs best with two #1's (Mason and Graham), one Wing or #3 (Selden, Greene, Mykhailiuk) and two posts or #4's (Ellis, Diallo, Bragg, Mickelson, Traylor). The key for Kansas will be slowing down the UK BIGS and controlling the boards. The key for Kentucky is to limit scoring from the Wings without giving up the paint to the Kansas BIGS.

We have equal talent at every position, more experience, and depth.

you have no one that equals skal and murray. no one. both are top 10 picks next year. its not close.

and since every ku fan last year said svi was the best player....you forfeit your ability to judge talent.

you have no one that equals skal and murray. no one. both are top 10 picks next year. its not close.

and since every ku fan last year said svi was the best player....you forfeit your ability to judge talent.

Equals doesn't mean greater. Also, you have zero clue if Murray is one or done. He got a major bump from one game and is riding hype (by the way, I also thought he was the best player on the floor watching that ONE game). I will take a Jr. Selden over Murray every day of the week.

Graham vs Ullis is maybe an edge to Ullis. Both have equal experience.
Mason vs Briscoe is edge to Mason on both proven college talent and experience. (Personally, not a fan of Briscoe. I think he needs to dominate the ball and looks for his too much.)
Selden vs. Murray (see above)
Ellis vs Poythress (assumes Poythress is 100%) - Push (advantage Ellis on offense, advantage Poythress on defense)
Diallo vs Skal - Push (Skal's rankings won't block shots or put points on the board)

Bench - Bragg, Traylor, Lucas, Mickelson > Lee, Willis
Bench perimeter - Svi, Greene, Vick > Mulder, Matthews both from experience and talent.

We have equal talent at every position, more experience, and depth.

LOL. You guys are a top 5-6 team yeah, but your still not as good as us, nor do you have the talent we do. We'll have 3 top 10, or top 12 draft picks. Kansas doesn't have anyone on their team as good as Skal or Murray. And honestly, I think Briscoe's better than either one of Selden or Mason. We're better than you guys at basically every position. You guys have depth and experience yeah sure. But we do too with a bench of Mulder, Mathews, and Lee. You probably thought the same thing last year before we embarrassed you guys with that 31 point beat down.

Equals doesn't mean greater. Also, you have zero clue if Murray is one or done. He got a major bump from one game and is riding hype (by the way, I also thought he was the best player on the floor watching that ONE game). I will take a Jr. Selden over Murray every day of the week.

Mason vs Briscoe is edge to Mason on both proven college talent and experience. (Personally, not a fan of Briscoe. I think he needs to dominate the ball and looks for his too much.)
Ellis vs Poythress (assumes Poythress is 100%) - Push (advantage Ellis on offense, advantage Poythress on defense)
Diallo vs Skal - Push (Skal's rankings won't block shots or put points on the board)

Bench perimeter - Svi, Greene, Vick > Mulder, Matthews both from experience and talent.

Your in for a little surprise or two ole buddy.

Skal vs Diallo is not a push. Skal is offensively polished, Diallo is high energy but still raw. He may end up a great pro but this season, Skal is superior. End of discussion.

hilarious! this reminds me of last year. and the meetings before. maybe one of these days you will be right. maybe. skal is so much better than diallo its not even funny. clear cut #1 pick in the draft year..going to have people drooling over him. its not a push. the only people considering it a push...would be ku fans. which should tell you all you need to know about the assesment. uk is a clear cut better at 3 starting positions....easy.

Reactions: jarms24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT