ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Ulis vs. Frank Mason

Apr 5, 2007
4 page thread over at The Phog right now.

Kiimo made a very good post, it's no surprise that Ulis is likely better than KU fans give him credit for and it's no surprise Mason is likely better than UK fans give him credit for.

What say you Rafters? How do you see this matchup playing out?

Ulis and it's not even close IMO. Ulis is a MUCH better floor general, rarely commits turnovers and is a serviceable scorer. Other than scoring, Frank is eclipsed by Ulis is all other point guard categories.

There is a 4-page thread on Phog, because from the perspective of Kansas homers there is something to debate.

I don't know how long it'll last on Rupp, but it won't be because there is a debate.

It's hardly even a debate there. They all think Mason is better.

Then again, one of their criticisms of Ulis is that he isn't a good shooter.

He's not even the best PG on his own team. If Graham isn't injured all the time he'd have already taken over that spot.

Mason lacks the pure PG instincts Ulis possess.

I do love Mason's aggression. Guy attacks the rim in a way we all wish Ulis can. Thats probably his only advantage over him.

every other aspect of the game - Ulis>>

All I'm saying is that Ulis' offensive rating is over 120.00, and his defensive rating is close to 90.00.
Mason's offensive rating is close to Ulis' (just over 118.00), but his defensive rating is above 100.00 (very average defender, allows over 10 points more than Ulis per 100 possessions).
What do those stats mean? It means while Ulis is on the floor, he's a slightly more efficient offensive player, and a much more efficient defensive player.
That would make Tyler Ulis the better basketball player.
Aside from that, Ulis has the ability to score very well. He's very accurate and he has a pretty nice offensive arsenal. What happens if he's off? Well, then he can fall back on his elite court vision and passing abilities. Frank Mason doesn't have that to fall back on if his shot is off in a game. Then he becomes a pretty average passing point guard, and a pretty average defender. Ulis will always be an elite passing point guard, and an outstanding perimeter defender, in case his shot isn't falling.

I think Frank has played really well on occasions. He didn't look very good against us last year, but that really applied to the whole team during that game.

I think Mason is better suited as a backup off the bench. And, to be fair, that's all we have seen Ulis do so far. So it will be a different role for him to be a full-time starter.

Omg, we won't even play Kansas this year. Why don't they worry about a pg they will face. Let's be honest, if they put us with a possible matchup with ku in the tourney they will choke before they play us anyway lol. Bill self is the master at doing less with more. Hell, look at his team that was unbeatable that lost to mighty northern Iowa lol. That's all you need to know about bill self. Diallo, and the big man from Cleveland(forgot his name) will check out the min Ellis and mason start jacking up shots left and right. Josh Shelby was the number 1 player/pg that went to Kansas how did that work out? Lol, I'll hang up and listen.

Omg, we won't even play Kansas this year. Why don't they worry about a pg they will face. Let's be honest, if they put us with a possible matchup with ku in the tourney they will choke before they play us anyway lol. Bill self is the master at doing less with more. Hell, look at his team that was unbeatable that lost to mighty northern Iowa lol. That's all you need to know about bill self. Diallo, and the big man from Cleveland(forgot his name) will check out the min Ellis and mason start jacking up shots left and right. Josh Shelby was the number 1 player/pg that went to Kansas how did that work out? Lol, I'll hang up and listen.

Your post is so full of fail it is as if you do not even understand the game of basketball.

Kansas and Kentucky play this year in January at AFH. Big12/SEC Challenge.

Ulis and like others have said. Its not that close. Now Frank Mason is a really, really good point guard but Ulis is the better between the two. He's basically better in every aspect except like Through Blue said finishing through contact but that's pretty obvious considering their builds.

Your post is so full of fail it is as if you do not even understand the game of basketball.

Kansas and Kentucky play this year in January at AFH. Big12/SEC Challenge.

Thanks Jared fogle for clearing that up. I forgot about that tournament. I appreciate your effort in calling me out to correct me. I know you have never posted anything incorrectly please forgive me

We most definitely do play them this season. That's why I said I'm looking forward to the matchup.

Reactions: ArmyWildcat81
It's hardly even a debate there. They all think Mason is better.

Then again, one of their criticisms ofUlis is that he isn't a good shooter.
lol..they must not have watched him in HS..I saw many of his games and he had to be picked up at half court..He is a deadeye shooter from 3..Get this..he may be better than Booker at shooting

lol..they must not have watched him in HS..I saw many of his games and he had to be picked up at half court..He is a deadeye shooter from 3..Get this..he may be better than Booker at shooting

Forget high school, the dude shot 42.9% from 3 point range his freshman year at UK.

Like I just said a min ago I forgot about the sec/big12 challenge. Kansas doesn't hold a candle to our back court play. They are good but give me our guards any day of the week over there's. As for front court, rest assured they will go right at skal and poy to get them in foul trouble that's the only way they will be able to beat us. I like our chances though. Here's hoping that Diallo plays scared like their big time stud cliff Alexander did last year. You know if he can self will run the score up on us.

Kansas should win this game going away.

1. At home
2. Returning point guard and heralded backup
3. 5 star 2 guard in his 3rd year
4. 5 star power forward in his 4th year
5. Ukrainian sharpshooter
6. 4* 6'7 wing that shoots over 40% from the arc
7. 2 big men vets that are 6'10
8. 5* Freshman PF
9. 4 star freshman PF
10. HOF coach

No way UK wins this on paper...but if we do...hmmm....

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I actually think Mason is a really underrated player. I like his game and think he'll be one of the better guards in college basketball.

That being said, I wouldn't get too worked up over anything a Kansas fan says. They long ago lost all perspective when it comes to anything Kentucky. In general, I think they are a fairly knowledgable fan base. But they have so much hatred/jealousy of UK that they just lose their minds when it comes to discussing Kentucky.

Ulis had quite a few games with 3 or less points and he rarely, if ever, took the focus of the defense. I find it hard to believe he will come close to matching mason's production this year. He will be a damn good player but I'll have to see him prove it on the court before singing his praises.

Ulis had quite a few games with 3 or less points and he rarely, if ever, took the focus of the defense. I find it hard to believe he will come close to matching mason's production this year. He will be a damn good player but I'll have to see him prove it on the court before singing his praises.

kind of like guys like lucas, mickleson, traylor, svi, greene, graham,

Kansas should win this game going away.

1. At home
2. Returning point guard and heralded backup
3. 5 star 2 guard in his 3rd year
4. 5 star power forward in his 4th year
5. Ukrainian sharpshooter
6. 4* 6'7 wing that shoots over 40% from the arc
7. 2 big men vets that are 6'10
8. 5* Freshman PF
9. 4 star freshman PF
10. HOF coach

No way UK wins this on paper...but if we do...hmmm....
I see what you are doing. And, yes, Kansas will probably be favored at home. But just as an exercise I put together a rebuttal.
1. Playing a team Kentucky psychologically abused a year ago by 32 points.
2. 5-star returning point guard with overwhelming depth at the position.
3. 5-star point guard who was top rated in 2015 class to play off guard
4. 5-star power forward in his fourth year
5. JUCO All-America sharpshooter who hit 48 percent from 3 last year
6. 4* (formerly Top 12) wing who can slash to the basket
7. Top Recruit Overall in 2015 class to play center
8. Deadly 5-star scorer who was player of the game in Nike Classic to start on wing
9. 6'10'' 5-star junior with two years of Final Four experience as frontcourt depth
10. HOF coach who beat their coach every time since he came to Kentucky
11. Team with back-to-back Final Four experience -- not living down onus of back-to-back embarrassing NCAA defeats.

I see what you are doing. And, yes, Kansas will probably be favored at home. But just as an exercise I put together a rebuttal.
1. Playing a team Kentucky psychologically abused a year ago by 32 points.
2. 5-star returning point guard with overwhelming depth at the position.
3. 5-star point guard who was top rated in 2015 class to play off guard
4. 5-star power forward in his fourth year
5. JUCO All-America sharpshooter who hit 48 percent from 3 last year
6. 4* (formerly Top 12) wing who can slash to the basket
7. Top Recruit Overall in 2015 class to play center
8. Deadly 5-star scorer who was player of the game in Nike Classic to start on wing
9. 6'10'' 5-star junior with two years of Final Four experience as frontcourt depth
10. HOF coach who beat their coach every time since he came to Kentucky
11. Team with back-to-back Final Four experience -- not living down onus of back-to-back embarrassing NCAA defeats.

Nope. No excuses, they should beat us handily. At home, all that talent, all that experience, great coach. 100% guaranteed and if they don't... they need to shut the rock chalk up for quite sometime.

And Mason had 17 games during his freshman year where he scored 3 points or less. I'm not sure I understand the point there. Especially considering Ulis was about the 8th scoring option on a team that won 38 strait games.

Ulis was not ask to score last year..He will play 30mpg and be ask to put up some points which he will..maybe around 12ppg with 5 ast and shoot 40% from 3..I think he can make 70ish 3's maybe more

Last edited:
Ulis split time with an NBA draft pick, plus he came off the bench, making his production last year irrelevant to this discussion. Especially since Cal announced the team will run through Ulis this year.

I'm not sure how anyone who has watched both players can come to the conclusion that Mason is better, or even as good as Tyler Ulis.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT