ADVERTISEMENT

So the platoon DID kill us

So a team that decides to go zone is making a decision to give up "3 points each time down the floor rather than 2?"

Hmmmm....interesting.

According to bassman, that is how it works. I have yet to see a zone designed to defend the paint. But, hell bassman knows all, he's a svengali.

According to bassman, that is how it works. I have yet to see a zone designed to defend the paint. But, hell bassman knows all, he's a svengali.

Sorry guys, I got confused. Turns out a "zone buster" is not an exceptional long range shooter. It's an ice cream treat from Dairy Queen. I think the NCAA should investigate where all that Wisconsin ice cream came from.

Kyfan, since Cal is not worthy of your support, just what coach are you going to get for us that still teaches trash defense? Dale Brown is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'd make a few suggestions for you but I only know those old fashioned coaches that play man to man.

Ok, guys, KYfan has got this. We're gonna get a real coach to replace Cal the talent pisser.

By the way, last time I heard someone called Svengali, he had Bo Derek, in braids and little else, on his arm. Apparently the title has its perks.

Don, Do you ever get tired of making sense?

Yes, you are absolutely right. In fact, the stats for both teams were pretty solid. We had a stretch where we went in a hole. Wasn't the first time we'd done that all season. It was the first time against a team like Wisconsin. Before we could climb out, Wisconsin beat our ass.

I wonder if they found any pieces of that 7 point halftime lead we blew against Georgetown while they were down in that hole. Ironically, that was another game where we could not get the ball inside to a pair of twin towers.
3-33 against Georgetown was a bit different. I do agree that we got beat, but also agree that Cal put the brakes on with a 4 point lead, which he tends to do, and that cost us the game. The fact that we got out rebounded tells you that WCS was not an all american.

3-33 against Georgetown was a bit different. I do agree that we got beat, but also agree that Cal put the brakes on with a 4 point lead, which he tends to do, and that cost us the game. The fact that we got out rebounded tells you that WCS was not an all american.

Well, I think you'll find he is an all American. Google 2015 basketball all American. They list a player named Willie Cauley-Stein. That player is listed as playing for KY. We only have one player by that name. Indisputably, he is, in fact, an all American. First team. Bravo!!! I am sure what you meant to say was that his failure to out rebound the entire Wisconsin team diminishes him in your eyes, in spite of what the experts say. In all fairness, I guess we can assume you have defrocked Anthony Davis as MVP due to his abject failure to out score the opposing team in the 2012 finals? Or does that logic only apply on odd numbered years?

So now that we have established the facts have been distorted, what was your point again?

Bottom line, we had a very rough stretch in the Wisconsin game. The cause of that rough stretch was more the fault of Wisconsin than our own coach's imaginary direlection of duty. What I think is that we have few unreasonably bitter fans that are on a witch hunt to blame someone for their disappointment.

We lost. That's sports. Get over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: barryn2000
Ok, guys, KYfan has got this. We're gonna get a real coach to replace Cal the talent pisser.

If you would bother to read my posts, you would notice I have said in multiple threads, that I want no other coach than Calipari. But you, and others think he is beyond criticism. He's not. A message board is a place for people with varying degrees of opinions to come and share those opinions. All you guys that slurp on every UK coach and bash anyone that has a criticism of them is what ruins this board. You did the same thing in the great Tubby debates, that earned you a perma band. It seems if you are trying for it again. Debate the topics and stop putting words in other peoples mouth.

If you would bother to read my posts, you would notice I have said in multiple threads, that I want no other coach than Calipari. But you, and others think he is beyond criticism. He's not. A message board is a place for people with varying degrees of opinions to come and share those opinions. All you guys that slurp on every UK coach and bash anyone that has a criticism of them is what ruins this board. You did the same thing in the great Tubby debates, that earned you a perma band. It seems if you are trying for it again. Debate the topics and stop putting words in other peoples mouth.

So you expect to come on to a KY fan site, trash the coach and team, accuse anyone that takes you to task on that of slurping various body parts and not get some push back? Good luck with that.

So you expect to come on to a KY fan site, trash the coach and team, accuse anyone that takes you to task on that of slurping various body parts and not get some push back? Good luck with that.

Your history here speaks for itself. Trash? Get real.

Well lets see here, Cal had 9 burger boys on this team,and pissed away a championship. That's one way. Call me ignorant all you want. I have most likely forgot more about basketball than you will ever know.
I've yet to see proof that you ever knew anything, or maybe you forgot it all.

I don't buy the "this is just a weird class argument" that I have heard from some...there's always been more to it and it took a KSR post to legitimize what many of us have been saying for weeks on here. The platoon system (although it was the right thing to do this year) is affecting recruiting. Opposing coaches are using it against us. Just look at how Calipari went from getting whoever he wants whenever he wants to not being able to get any of his targets this post season. What's changed? You have to look at the ONE variable that was different this year than any other year in Cal's domination of the recruiting scene? What was it?

It was the sharing of such limited minutes by the top notch recruits...period. And opposing coaches are spinning this in every way imaginable turning players away and honestly its not a hard sale, let's not be naive and think that most highly ranked recruits want to play in a system like that.

Matt is spot on here imo.
Please correct me if this is wrong. In the period of time that John Calipari has been at the helm at UK, I believe that he has won more basketball games than any other college coach. This isn't happening in a vacuum. A couple hundred other college coaches want to be in Calipari's position. They will say whatever they have to say in order to be competitive. If criticizing Calipari for using platoons works, then that's what they will say. If something else works, they will use it because catching up with Calipari is very difficult. Everyone in the BBN knows that Calipari platooned this year because he got caught by surprise by so many returning players. That's why he only signed 3 last November, while making it known that he intended to sign multiple players in April. In the competitive world, there is always a slim line between success and failure. If WCS had a better FF, we would probably have gone 40-0 and everyone would be saying Calipari is a genius. But it didn't play out that way, so Calipari finds himself explaining platoons. This is temporary. Anyone with a brain can see that Calipari didn't platoon before this season, and won't platoon next year. So I do not buy the idea that platoons are the reason Cheick Diallo, Brandon Ingram, and Jaylen Brown signed somewhere else. There are so many other factors. The idiosyncrasies of these 3 kids. The surprise late departure of Slice. And the factor Calipari always stresses - Kentucky isn't for everyone. Although Calipari has been backpeddling about platooning, he is only doing what he knows he must. Soon, he will stop talking about platoons and start talking again about running a players first program. Connecting with players has always been, and will always be, the most important factor in successful recruiting.

Please correct me if this is wrong. In the period of time that John Calipari has been at the helm at UK, I believe that he has won more basketball games than any other college coach. This isn't happening in a vacuum. A couple hundred other college coaches want to be in Calipari's position. They will say whatever they have to say in order to be competitive. If criticizing Calipari for using platoons works, then that's what they will say. If something else works, they will use it because catching up with Calipari is very difficult. Everyone in the BBN knows that Calipari platooned this year because he got caught by surprise by so many returning players. That's why he only signed 3 last November, while making it known that he intended to sign multiple players in April. In the competitive world, there is always a slim line between success and failure. If WCS had a better FF, we would probably have gone 40-0 and everyone would be saying Calipari is a genius. But it didn't play out that way, so Calipari finds himself explaining platoons. This is temporary. Anyone with a brain can see that Calipari didn't platoon before this season, and won't platoon next year. So I do not buy the idea that platoons are the reason Cheick Diallo, Brandon Ingram, and Jaylen Brown signed somewhere else. There are so many other factors. The idiosyncrasies of these 3 kids. The surprise late departure of Slice. And the factor Calipari always stresses - Kentucky isn't for everyone. Although Calipari has been backpeddling about platooning, he is only doing what he knows he must. Soon, he will stop talking about platoons and start talking again about running a players first program. Connecting with players has always been, and will always be, the most important factor in successful recruiting.

I agree that Cal has never platooned before and will not again unless of course all this year's team comes back again combined with the load it appears Cal will land in 2016/17.

Sometimes Cal will be a victim to his overwhelming success with this recruiting thing and I don't see why this may not happen again at some point. It's unpredictable. When you land the number 1 class yearly and absolutely no way to determine the future of who stays and goes, it wouldn't surprise me to see this happen again down the road. Not that I'm complaining. It's a good problem to have.

Yes, other factors were involved, but Cal releasing what was essentially an official statement to recruits that he will not platoon again coming after several recruiting losses speaks volumes concerning the current "crisis."

My question is....what was the point of him saying this? It's not going to yield anything in terms of elite recruits at this point in the season (unless he has concerns about next year too) and it pigeon holes him for the years to come if he is loaded with a good/great roster returning and has 5-7 great/exceptional players wanting to come here. Once again, its a problem every other team in the country would want, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I agree that Cal has never platooned before and will not again unless of course all this year's team comes back again combined with the load it appears Cal will land in 2016/17.

Sometimes Cal will be a victim to his overwhelming success with this recruiting thing and I don't see why this may not happen again at some point. It's unpredictable. When you land the number 1 class yearly and absolutely no way to determine the future of who stays and goes, it wouldn't surprise me to see this happen again down the road. Not that I'm complaining. It's a good problem to have.

Yes, other factors were involved, but Cal releasing what was essentially an official statement to recruits that he will not platoon again coming after several recruiting losses speaks volumes concerning the current "crisis."

My question is....what was the point of him saying this? It's not going to yield anything in terms of elite recruits at this point in the season (unless he has concerns about next year too) and it pigeon holes him for the years to come if he is loaded with a good/great roster returning and has 5-7 great/exceptional players wanting to come here. Once again, its a problem every other team in the country would want, that's for sure.
I honestly don't know why he said it, but I think it is confirmation of what everyone inside the BBN already knows. I think everyone including Calipari himself is done talking about platoons now. But Calipari has always said Kentucky is not for everyone. That remains true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT