ADVERTISEMENT

What did it cost us? And realistic Year 1 expectations?

22 wins during the regular season.
Semifinal of the SEC.
Sweet 16 of the NCAA’s.

Pope and who we get and retain will surprise us. Tons of NIL money.

Reactions: chroix
I don’t know how the season will shake out but I hope the Cal fan boys follow him to Arkansas.

As a coach to use the transfer portal you need a good rep of getting guys to the league or a lot of Nil $$$
What gets guys to the NBA is playing time, playing against the best, and exposure. Coaches would be a distant 4th.

I look forward to the days when the 16 year old Cal boys move on to the Arkansas boards and leave us to discuss the team intelligently. All this pissing and whining over Cal and the hire of Mark Pope needs to be over, already. Bunch of babies.

Another one of those great Mitch contracts! Like why are we paying this much money? Mitch loves to bid against himself and his own mind.
It's Kentucky man, it's more than just the recruiting and the coaching here, it's a year round job and for your troubles you get to also be a state figure and ambassador.

You really want to keep that number among the best too, so the job still has that air and allure.

Sometimes a program needs a new voice. Pope wasn't the hire we needed, but having Cal here wasn't going to improve things, either. I look at Pope as a bridge to a better hire.
Nah… I think Mark can lead us to where we want to be. But it will take time. 2 or 3 years.

It might never be as exciting with all the big names. But that’s okay too. Seasons change. As we’ve seen in the last 4 years.

What did it cost us?
I can tell you what it did NOT cost us:
- about $11M the next 4 years
- more NIL available from donors
- hopefully more embarrassments like (9-16, 2v15 loss, 3v14 loss)

Reactions: DEI_Rick_Anderson
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT