ADVERTISEMENT

Personnel/ Coaching

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
Don’t think this will happen. But unless this team finds Defense fast, I see only 3 ways to play this group.

1) continue the mis-matching of lineups, which I think most of us agree Cal is not good at

2) narrow down to your best 7 and just go with them. But only the 3 R’s are obvious choices. Maybe Theiro too.

3) go to a platoon, but not 20/20, something like 28/12, taking the thinking out of the equation for Cal on who to play when. Just have to decide what 2 play with the 3 R’s , probably Theiro and “?”

A couple of guys that were top rated coming out of high school need to be very situational and only get less than 5 minutes most games.

We should just run it back to how we played at the beginning of the season and go small.

I mean if our bigs are incapable of rebounding what use are they anyways. We'll get murdered on the boards but we have 3 seven footers and gave up 18 offensive rebounds anyways.

Any lineup where I don't have to watch Bradshaw try to defend or watch Ugo try and secure a rebound I'm good with.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
It's been said John Robic was the brains behind Slouch Cal's success...notice when he was unceremoniously exiled from the program, we slid straight into a pit toilet.

Robic was the guy who scouted teams and came up with strategy and game plans...and now we have none.

Apparent karma for Cal shitting on a distraught man after losing his daughter.

Reactions: sefleming
2) narrow down to your best 7 and just go with them. But only the 3 R’s are obvious choices. Maybe Theiro too.
That is so obviously our 4 best players and everybody at all familiar with UK basketball knows it. Yet they probably didn't share the floor a second last night. I know the 3 Rs played together only 1.5 minutes in the first half. And Edwards played 29 minutes with his normal production or slightly better(7 pts 5 boards). No other coach would choose to play their 10th or 11th best player 29 minutes and his at worst 3rd best 18 minutes in a close game where foul trouble or injury was not a factor. Our coach has lost his mind; I no longer have any doubts.

Get Mitchell rested.

Stop playing Ivisic, Onyenso, Edwards and Bradshaw except to steal rest for Mitchell and Thiero around television time outs. Heck, I would probably even sub-in Burks before any of those 4. I like his energy and athletic ability.

Start Dillingham, Sheppard, Reeves, Thiero, Mitchell

Bring DJ and Burks off the bench.

Dilly can be a bit of a wildcard, but overall I like the between the ears ability of those 5 players to make up for some shortcomings.

The biggest problem is I've yet to see any lineup that is capable of holding their own defensively.

The only thing about your post I'd do different would be to give Ivisic some of the backup minutes. I know he hasn't been good on defense but on offense he's been one of our best players and he probably leads the team in rebounds per minute. Of the 3 seven footers he's the one who still might get a little better this year with more playing time, since he's played so little and not been healthy long.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT