ADVERTISEMENT

What did it cost us? And realistic Year 1 expectations?

What was the excuse? I simply laid out the reality of the situation. Not my fault you aren't up to speed. This is not how Pope builds his teams. Even if it was, most of the 2024 class is signed. The only way next year is a really good season is if Reed returns and get a bunch of portal guys that gel making next year special. It won't be the same way Calipari did it as you alluded to in the previous post.

A really good coach could make a good team n year 1. Donovan or pearl or beard would have made it happen.

We can thank barney for this.

If we put together a Payne-like season next year there will be riots against Barnhart and he might just get fired.

I'll reserve judgment until we have a full roster but right now the only banner we might be hanging is a NIT one.
I can see it now:

Kentucky Wildcats
2025 NIT PARTICIPANTS

What an addition to the rafters that will be.

At least we have a head coach and he’s not Cal…. Am I right? What did it cost us? EVERYTHING.

How will you feel when Arkansas beats the brakes off us with our former players and recruiting class?

What’s realistic for Year 1 considering we have no players?

NIT?

1st round?
About 1-2 wins.

I can see it now:

Kentucky Wildcats
2025 NIT PARTICIPANTS

What an addition to the rafters that will be.
Well, in fairness I don't expect us to hang that banner unless we were to win it since we do have some NIT banners in the rafters (but that was when the NIT was more prestigious than the NCAA. No idea if we'd even hang an NIT banner if we won one now).

Reactions: gojvc
Kinda feels like NIT 4 Seed is the Ceiling. If that happens it’s time to clean house. Get MB the F out and get someone in who can land someone who will get us competitive for Championships. Pope seems like a great guy, but he has to get this team to a competitive level right freakin now.

A really good coach could make a good team n year 1. Donovan or pearl or beard would have made it happen.

We can thank barney for this.
I agree with this. I do think one of those coaches could have gotten Kentucky to the Elite 8 in the first season like Calipari in this portal era. Especially someone like Pearl or Beard with a team of players and a staff that might have followed. This is why I am frustrated that one of these guys did not get the job. Hope like hell for the sake of Kentucky that Pope will be the answer long-term.

Kinda feels like NIT 4 Seed is the Ceiling. If that happens it’s time to clean house. Get MB the F out and get someone in who can land someone who will get us competitive for Championships. Pope seems like a great guy, but he has to get this team to a competitive level right freakin now.
I feel like he'll get at least 2 seasons but if we are going nowhere fast then we'll pull the trigger and do this search again. And that will probably also mean Mitch is gone because that'd be 2 head coach disasters in our biggest sport at his feet.

Like, how can we get such a slam dunk hire for the women's program and then we turn around and do THIS?!?!?! It's unbelievable.

If we put together a Payne-like season next year there will be riots against Barnhart and he might just get fired.

I'll reserve judgment until we have a full roster but right now the only banner we might be hanging is a NIT one.
BYU made the NCAA tournament this year. UL did not.

BYU made the NCAA tournament this year. UL did not.
I know, but I'm just saying I need to see our roster before I can make any prognostication of where we end up.

Also, the problem with the "Shoot tons of 3's" strategy like Pope employed this year is that it's very hit and miss. We're going to win 6 games in the tournament doing that? BYU went cold in round 1 and their ass got sent home.

I feel like he'll get at least 2 seasons but if we are going nowhere fast then we'll pull the trigger and do this search again. And that will probably also mean Mitch is gone because that'd be 2 head coach disasters in our biggest sport at his feet.

Like, how can we get such a slam dunk hire for the women's program and then we turn around and do THIS?!?!?! It's unbelievable.
I’ll get behind Pope and he’s easy to root for. Complete opposite of Cal which is what we’ve all been demanding. I’ll support Pope for sure, he’s a former Cat and Champion I’d love for him to kill it at UK. I’m just not sold on that happening and I think it’s a super underwhelming hire.

I agree with this. I do think one of those coaches could have gotten Kentucky to the Elite 8 in the first season like Calipari in this portal era. Especially someone like Pearl or Beard with a team of players and a staff that might have followed. This is why I am frustrated that one of these guys did not get the job. Hope like hell for the sake of Kentucky that Pope will be the answer long-term.
I doubt we could’ve made a run like that with any of the alternatives. Because they also would’ve had a makeshift team.

Next season was inevitable. Let’s just make the most of it.

Reactions: ukwazoo
I doubt we could’ve made a run like that with any of the alternatives. Because they also would’ve had a makeshift team.

Next season was inevitable. Let’s just make the most of it.
You will never know for sure but as I said, "COULD". The transfer portal, current recruits and players on their previous team plus the NIL UK can offer makes roster building different than it was even 5 years ago. "COULD" was the keyword and in no way did I say it was a guarantee with any coach. Just stated an established coach would have been the only shot at having a magical season for a year 1 rebuild like that acknowledging the fact it isn't going to happen overnight. Don't misconstrue this for what my realistic expectations are. I don't need you to give my perspective like my opinion is wrong and yours is right. Said above why Cal was able to have that kind of season with the once in a generation recruits like Wall, Cousins plus Bledsoe due to his track record of recruiting top talent which obviously alluded to the fact it is going to take Pope longer to get UK to that level. Not sure how I can get accused of making 'excuses' for next season from one poster being a rebuild and being too irrational by another in the same thread for setting too unrealistic expectations. Myself, like many others were perplexed initially by the hire but overnight came around on the idea and I am optimistic Pope will be the guy long-term to bring UK back.

Last edited:
OP is either Stupid, or Ignorant!
Ignorant if he’s not heard of this thing called the Transfer Portal, and unaware that we won’t lose all our guys.

At least we have a head coach and he’s not Cal…. Am I right? What did it cost us? EVERYTHING.

How will you feel when Arkansas beats the brakes off us with our former players and recruiting class?

NIT?

1st round?
My man, that was 3 of the last 4 seasons already. If you’re asking me if I could have the exact same results, but just without Cal? Of course I’ll take it.

Realistic = Sweet 16, maybe Elite 8
Expect = Sweet 16

Last edited:
His dad doesn't seem as sure as you do. I'll trust him for now. Keeping hope alive
Crowd was changing “one more year” “three more years “ 😂 I’d love it but I’ve never seen a Kentucky player turn down being a top five projected pick. If he returns it’s the heist of the century. But I just don’t see that happening.

Why else would he put together that event last night in less than a week? Felt like a swan song with bow he was talking.

Last edited:
Crowd was changing “one more year” “three more years “ 😂 I’d love it but I’ve never seen a Kentucky player turn down being a top projected pick. If he returns it’s the heist of the century. But I just don’t see that happening.

Why else would he put together that event last night in less than a week? Felt like a swan song with bow he was talking.
I could see him doing what Patterson did. Could have left after one season but didn't. Not saying he will be here 3 years as Patrick was but I will hold out some hope until an official announcement is made that Reed might return for a sophomore season.

NIT?

1st round?
Cal high-tailed it, that's all on him, please go with him. And Arkansas will always be Arkansas, whatever, I'm excited about Kentucky again. We'll get players..

Reactions: shakestheclown564

NIT?

1st round?
All these new accounts smell fishy

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

NIT?

1st round?
Lmfao! WOW! How old are you?! You joined Monday?! Lulz 🙄

Cal went to the elite 8 and won the sec regular season and tourney in year 1 with an almost new roster and won 35 games. It can be done.

Let's see if pope can do something similar.
I wish and hope Pope could do that but I think only Cal and maybe K could do that. We have plenty to say about Cal but the man can recruit. The pieces may not fit but if you want 5 stars you want Cal. If you want to win that’s another story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT