ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Is there a God ??

Is there a God ??

• Yes

Votes: 183 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 57 23.8%

• Total voters
It was then we learned it was Ash Wednesday.
I’m a country guy, raised in a casual, rural Methodist tradition, far removed from Catholicism and any “high” church observations and traditions.

I was in Admin. Law Class at UK in 1986, when the young gent sitting next to me appeared in class with an obvious dark smudge on his forehead.

And we were in the front row.

I discreetly leaned to my left and whispered that he had something on his forehead.

He whispered back, “I am Catholic.”

I whispered in return, “ I am Methodist, and you got a little something on your forehead.”

At break he explained the traditional observation that had never been mentioned in my church community.

• Haha
Reactions: JDHoss
Atheists believe themselves to be a relatively lucky speck of intelligent protein, orbiting an insignificant star in a mundane galaxy of an expanding and infinite universe.

I believe myself to be the creation of a loving, superior and omnipotent entity that created our otherwise inexplicable universe. I feel compelled to explore the mysteries of our existence, and struggle to comprehend the grace bestowed upon me, not only in my existence, but in my undeserved salvation.

Even were atheists ultimately correct, I would far prefer to have mistakenly found faith and hope in the existence of a power that has given mankind the courage to lift himself from his once brutish, miserable state of nature, to an era of wonder, discovery, and rational governance.

But I believe my faith is founded in far more than mere hope: there have been far too many moments of my life where I heard the quiet voice of spiritual advice or admonition. That quiet voice has never led me to evil, violence, prejudice, anger or pain. Instead, it has elevated my conscience, moderated my actions, emboldened my courage, and led me consistently, to the most meaningful moments and memories of a life well lived.

I cannot formally prove the existence of this spiritual guide, but will ever insist that those willing to partake of it can clearly discern its existence.

Last edited:
Walk into any children's hospital, and you know there is no God.....

The atheists in this thread are weak in thought when they make definitive comments and then pretend they don’t have to back them up because they are atheists. “I don’t have to prove my absolutes, only you have to prove your beliefs.” It’s not a rational perspective to make a definitive statement and then timidly act as if you don’t have to back it up.

I make this point on Dummy’s post (there are more in this thread just like it), because there is nothing about his post that is self evidenced, but he would never attempt to prove his comment as correct, because atheists evidently, at least here, cannot prove anything about their atheism. His comment is one that only appeals to emotion, not intellect.

If Dummy and I walked into a children’s hospital together, for example, the evidence would not support his inane comment. So, he should have to back it up. But, he cannot, so he claims he, as an atheist, does not have to. Not convincing to anyone but the sheep who also fear the lack of evidence to support their absolute positions.

I don’t say this for the god-obsessed atheists who post regularly in this and other threads. I say this for the questioning person so that they can see that most of the atheists in this thread are not appealing to your intellect, but rather to your emotions. Whenever anyone, regardless of their faith, attempts to shame you into agreement, you should question the soundness of their position. That is an emotional appeal, not logic.

If God does not exist, as Dummy and others definitely claim, their proof should be more than their emotional response to the world. Emotionally responding to the world is what they claim theists do. Yet, we see it from atheists throughout this thread.

Reactions: The-Hack and SDC888
The atheists in this thread are weak in thought when they make definitive comments and then pretend they don’t have to back them up because they are atheists. “I don’t have to prove my absolutes, only you have to prove your beliefs.” It’s not a rational perspective to make a definitive statement and then timidly act as if you don’t have to back it up.

I make this point on Dummy’s post (there are more in this thread just like it), because there is nothing about his post that is self evidenced, but he would never attempt to prove his comment as correct, because atheists evidently, at least here, cannot prove anything about their atheism. His comment is one that only appeals to emotion, not intellect.

If Dummy and I walked into a children’s hospital together, for example, the evidence would not support his inane comment. So, he should have to back it up. But, he cannot, so he claims he, as an atheist, does not have to. Not convincing to anyone but the sheep who also fear the lack of evidence to support their absolute positions.

I don’t say this for the god-obsessed atheists who post regularly in this and other threads. I say this for the questioning person so that they can see that most of the atheists in this thread are not appealing to your intellect, but rather to your emotions. Whenever anyone, regardless of their faith, attempts to shame you into agreement, you should question the soundness of their position. That is an emotional appeal, not logic.

If God does not exist, as Dummy and others definitely claim, their proof should be more than their emotional response to the world. Emotionally responding to the world is what they claim theists do. Yet, we see it from atheists throughout this thread.
Damn....it's the local religious nut, knocking on my door again....

There is no verifiable proof that God exists.
There is no verifiable proof that God does not exist.
Theism is believe without proof.
Atheism is not believing because there is no proof.
What I find very interesting is the discussion about this dichotomy.
The way I see it, talk about particular religions and dogmas is a tangential discussion.

Carry on ...

The way I see it, talk about particular religions and dogmas is a tangential discussion.

Carry on ...

ONe can have proof of GOd's existence. But that does not come through experiment, i.e., what you would consider"verifiable proof."

428702043_10160173071255686_2720178059477674891_n.jpg

ONe can have proof of GOd's existence. But that does not come through experiment, i.e., what you would consider"verifiable proof."
I am not sure what type of undeniable, verifiable proof would undoubtedly convince me of God’s existence, if not subject to proof through science and its methods. I suspect all religions steadfastly agreeing on the same God would help, but that would probably not be enough to totally convince me.

Carry on ...

This is false, unless you mean dispositive evidence as “proof.” There is evidence for God. Atheism is NOT not believing because there is no “proof.” Both, theism and atheism must assess the evidence and decide. Atheism is believing the evidence for God is less compelling than the evidence against His existence. This is absolutely not a distinction based upon there being no evidence.

Reactions: SDC888
Does this phenomenon affect anyone’s belief in God ?? I’m not saying it should, or shouldn’t, as I don’t know … I’m simply wondering how this frog cells issue (and all AI for that matter) are filtered through the lens of believers. Heavy stuff lies ahead, it seems, as AI continues to progress there will be many questions, discussions, dilemmas, issues, etc … for sure.

Last edited:
I am not sure what type of undeniable, verifiable proof would undoubtedly convince me of God’s existence, if not subject to proof through science and its methods. I suspect all religions steadfastly agreeing on the same God would help, but that would probably not be enough to totally convince me.

Truth is not found through consensus.

If everyone in the world agrees on something not demonstrable, and you don't, that very fact alone has no bearing whatsoever on its veracity.

This is false, unless you mean dispositive evidence as “proof.” There is evidence for God. Atheism is NOT not believing because there is no “proof.” Both, theism and atheism must assess the evidence and decide. Atheism is believing the evidence for God is less compelling than the evidence against His existence. This is absolutely not a distinction based upon there being no evidence.
I’m not sophisticated enough to argue your point, but what is proof that believers’ evidence is unarguable and undeniable ??

Or … is that even possible ??

I think in legal situations, you can have evidence presented, but it is not enough to convince a jury. Perhaps that is the point you are making … and I kinda get it.

I’m not sophisticated enough to argue your point, but what is proof that believers’ evidence is unarguable and undeniable ??

You should reread what I wrote, because it does not resemble what you are asking. Your question is a strawman misdirection. If someone suggests what you suggest, you may ask them to back it up.

I think in legal situations, you can have evidence presented, but it is not enough to convince a jury. Perhaps that is the point you are making … and I kinda get it.

In any setting, evidence may be sufficient for some and not for others.

This was your comment. It is a self-serving incorrect comment. If there was no proof of God’s existence, we would not have the testimony of scientists who inform that science led them to God.

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
Hmmmm.

I’ve seldom seen such confirmatory evidence to prove a thesis . . . at least that quickly!!
Hmmmm

How long have you been paying attention? You appear a newcomer to this debate.
I haven't posted in this thread in a few weeks. Caveman, searching back and responding to a post I made on Jan. 12th..... supports my claim.
So yeah, his behavior reminds me of the local religious nut knocking at my door, that just won't go away!!

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
Hmmmm

How long have you been paying attention? You appear a newcomer to this debate.
I haven't posted in this thread in a few weeks. Caveman, searching back and responding to a post I made on Jan. 12th..... supports my claim.
So yeah, his behavior reminds me of the local religious nut knocking at my door, that just won't go away!!

That’s a lot of words for you. Maybe, you should go back to posting cartoons.

I post cartoons to help with your constipation. Cause you just shit every time I do......

430883608_3022094277927826_3937504768023918379_n.jpg

Oh, sweetness, as an atheist you feel overwhelmed by the Christian authority over you and how Christians are making decisions for you. Gotcha. Have you tried placing aluminum on your head so that you may be free from that oppression?

”Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.“
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭1‬:‭20‬-‭25‬ ‭ESV‬‬

I know of a believer who makes about $4 million per year. He is a follower of Jesus. He keeps 10% of his earnings and gives the rest away.

Even if you do not believe or follow the teachings of Jesus, you should be thankful he does.

”He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.’“
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭2‬:‭7‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Reactions: SDC888
Zoro wore black and he was good.

Lone Ranger wore a black mask.

Batman is in all black.

Many Crusader knights wore black.

Black is dope, bad guys don’t get claim to it lol.

Last edited:

This is categorically false, and contradicts the laws of math.

Imagine finding a Rolex while on a hike in the woods and thinking "this watch must have assembled itself". That sounds ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as claiming that the much more complex natural universe assembled itself out of nothing.

You don't even need the Bible or any religion to tell you the earth was built by a super-intelligence...the vast number of complex, natural systems working in harmony and with great precision are proof enough. Pure mathematics demand a mathematician.

Nature is your proof. The Bible is your guidebook.

Atheism is nothing more than denial.

This is categorically false, and contradicts the laws of math.
No it doesn't.
Imagine finding a Rolex while on a hike in the woods and thinking "this watch must have assembled itself". That sounds ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as claiming that the much more complex natural universe assembled itself out of nothing.
If only this comparison made sense. We can verifiably watch someone make a Rolex, no one was there when the universe was created. Science, at best, has a theory on the world's creation so to speak so confidently when all you have is faith does not hold up in a debate setting.
the vast number of complex, natural systems working in harmony and with great precision are proof enough. Pure mathematics demand a mathematician.
Crazy how science can just science like that.

Atheism is nothing more than denial.
I've gone back and forth in my life about this. Anywhere from fully believing in God to fully not, now I'm somewhere in the middle. God can never possibly be proven or disproven, that's just how the scientific method works.

The odds of the many cosmological constants (speed of light, etc.) being so perfectly tuned to allow our existence is less than painting one grain of sand purple, tossing it out, and then randomly choosing it from among all the world’s grains of sand.

The number expressing this has 58 zeroes following it.

Proof of God??

Well, at least a darned good hint!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Caveman Catfan
The odds of the many cosmological constants (speed of light, etc.) being so perfectly tuned to allow our existence is less than painting one grain of sand purple, rising it out, and then randomly choosing it from among all the world’s grains of sand.

According to whom?

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
The odds of the many cosmological constants (speed of light, etc.) being so perfectly tuned to allow our existence is less than painting one grain of sand purple, rising it out, and then randomly choosing it from among all the world’s grains of sand.

The number expressing this has 58 zeroes following it.

Proof of God??

Well, at least a darned good hint!!

Can’t comprehend big numbers? The invisible man that lives somewhere above the clouds must be the reason.

Interesting!

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.”

---Mark Twain
“Atheism was invented when the first con man met the first fool, he took his money and his faith.”

—Insert Famous Yet Completely Pointless Person Here

See how stupid and easy that is? Why in the actual touch do I care what Mark touching Twain said about religion? That dude banged smelly 4 day post bath vag, ate porridge, lived with no AC and dropped N bombs, why do I give shit about his opinion?

Oh he was basically the only person that could write long form stories 200 years ago so he must be wise and brilliant!

And so is 99% of everything people buy, it’s all a con, what’s your point? You’ve absolutely bought some gimmick bs in your life this week so if that’s what you think religion is you’re just as guilty but with a different purchase, idiot.

-And science, imo, isn’t made or designed to explain God. I don’t think humans will ever “understand” or “know/prove he exists”, you’re not supposed to be able to, it’s incomprehensible and made that way.

If you could ever prove it you wouldn’t need faith, and faith is how god tests you. With absolute proof he exists he wouldn’t be able to test humans so why would he make any of it scientifically explainable?

Why does everyone think everything needs to explained? You’re not supposed to know everything, you can’t.

That’s a lot of faith in scientists my friend.
Lol.

And that statement is a reflection of the shift of the last 90 years in faith in science/God.

90 years ago an atheist would have proclaimed faith in science, in order
to reject the possibility of God.

Not today, my friend!

Science the last 90 years has not only confirmed the existence of “magic,” but built an entire establishment upon their observations of it.

“Slit” experiments from the 1930’s forward prove decisively that a single object, a single photon, must be in two places, simultaneously, under certain conditions. Also, as photons pass through slits,
the mere act of observation causes them to react differently in space//time, although none of the forces of nature affect them.

Married electron pairs when separated can allow the instantaneous exchange of information across infinite distance: change the “spin” of one, and the other instantly changes its “spin,” regardless of distance.

The eighties and nineties brought us studies in non-linear equations that create lifelike form and remarkable form from apparent randomness.

The last Century of science has led us to
a bizarre world of wonder that has convinced many of a “greater power” at work.

And a “greater power” possessed of a better sense of humor than most atheists I have met!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT