ADVERTISEMENT

Starlink?

Deeeefense

Aug 22, 2001
Chattanooga
Does anyone have it, or know anyone that does? I'm pretty happy with AT&T fiber optics but I'm just curious as to how Starlink compares. On the surface this seems like a god-send for people living in rural areas where there is no fiber optics or cable.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
I have had it for a few years now; i was on the original beta program. It has been a life changer for me and my family. We live in a very rural part of Shelby County.

I work from home in a technical field and i was literally getting 3.0mps down via AT&T and it was the ONLY option I had. With Starlink I get anywhere from 75-325 down with and average of about 200 down. Plus, it has been extremely reliable. We stream what we want, when we want, game and I live on video calls for work, we never bump into each other.

Highly recommend.

Does anyone have it, or know anyone that does? I'm pretty happy with AT&T fiber optics but I'm just curious as to how Starlink compares. On the surface this seems like a god-send for people living in rural areas where there is no fiber optics or cable.
---
Broadband expansion is happening all around me, but mostly down roads with few houses. The expansion in rural areas is targeting underserved areas for whatever reasons. One road with fiber optic installed last Fall has 4 houses in a mile & a half! Anyway, I checked the availability of T-Mobile 5G home internet & was surprised it was available for me. It's been fantastic, downloads run 500-700 mbps & uploads are 50-60 mbps.

Reactions: Deeeefense
Have it at a lake house. It's been unbelievable how much better signal we have now.

Had it in 2022 and 2023 when I lived in the sticks. It was a godsend at the time because my Windstream DSL ran at 1997 AOL speeds and I work from home in a job that requires downloading and uploading dozens of rather large documents a day.

Sometimes it got a little shoddy during bad weather, which is par for the course with satellite anything. However, I moved to another town inside the city limits with a fiber optic option late last year and it blows Starlink out of the water.

I’d say it’s a must have for someone in a rural area and there’s better options if in a more urban area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT