ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Is there a God ??

Is there a God ??

• Yes

Votes: 183 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 57 23.8%

• Total voters
But no comment for those who mock others’ sincerely held beliefs. Nothing like acting like your beliefs are true by mocking others’ beliefs. Those darn atheists. 😂
I haven’t seen anyone being mocked. I have seen people asking questions about why you believe what you believe. I have seen a lot of skepticism. Is that mocking to you? I did see Cole flat out say that opposing beliefs are false beliefs.

• Haha
Reactions: Caveman Catfan
I haven’t seen anyone being mocked. I have seen people asking questions about why you believe what you believe. I have seen a lot of skepticism. Is that mocking to you? I did see Cole flat out say that opposing beliefs are false beliefs.
You are selectively viewing this thread. 🙄

INVDX9xcveWqW7ixtnFrmODqG23E3OsKCJ6K5HmDgpl-dyP3tsI6U9jL3odZyLnNYJjAMcMTfwDm9Z-g6jfRYRK7k89efxrQfNfGhM1IG_zFUb11x36wgp3XexMofqYPdHAxZX2SN8Mn8blU6FqGldHZeSiTT-Msj4w
One day several years ago, me, my boss, his boss, his boss's boss and a couple of engineers were conducting a task safety audit on a piece of equipment. My boss and I noticed that his boss had what appeared to be a smudge of grease on his forehead. My boss handed him a shop towel and told him he needed to wipe his forehead. His boss's face turned red and the faces of the others were like "wholly shit dude"...My boss and I were like WTF? He's got grease on his head. It was then we learned it was Ash Wednesday. In our defense, if it had been a clearly drawn cross, we still might have been WTF, but wouldn't have said anything.

• Haha
Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
You are selectively viewing this thread. 🙄
I could say the same thing about you. The sad part is you are guilty of what you accuse me of. You think I look the other way when those “darn atheists” say something. I know you look the other way when the “Christians” say something. If not, you would call them out when they say nonsense like Cole did.

I could say the same thing about you. The sad part is you are guilty of what you accuse me of.
That is your go-to. The fact is that I ignore most of the mocking and pray for the mockers.
You think I look the other way when those “darn atheists” say something. I know you look the other way when the “Christians” say something. If not, you would call them out when they say nonsense like Cole did.
At least you are finally admitting your hypocrisy.

That is your go-to. The fact is that I ignore most of the mocking and pray for the mockers.

At least you are finally admitting your hypocrisy.
Why don't you man up and admit yours?

You ignore most of the mocking? Yet you constantly whine about it. You certainly ignore the posts like Cole. Those are the ones you should actually be praying for.

What makes Christianity true and Islam not?
I have always found it interesting that all the major religions of the world give an account of Jesus.

Whether Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, New Age Movement, etc, they all mention Jesus.

But it’s interesting to note even those religions pre-existing Jesus have come to include Jesus in their description of reality. All the world’s major religions feel compelled to account for Jesus in one way or another.

Have always found that to be really cool.

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
I have always found it interesting that all the major religions of the world give an account of Jesus.

Whether Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, New Age Movement, etc, they all mention Jesus.

But it’s interesting to note even those religions pre-existing Jesus have come to include Jesus in their description of reality. All the world’s major religions feel compelled to account for Jesus in one way or another.

Have always found that to be really cool.
Mentioning Jesus doesn't make a religion more likely to be right, though.

Mentioning Jesus doesn't make a religion more likely to be right, though.
Sure. Wasn't really commenting on that.

Just find it really, really interesting that all the major religions mention Jesus, and his life on Earth, and who they thought He was...yet the Bible makes no specific mention of these other religions, especially the ones that pre-date Jesus' time on Earth.

I wonder why these other religions have felt the need to explain who they thought Jesus was, and how He relates to their core beliefs (none of which are salvation by faith through grace, they are all works based)...

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
Other religions have to account for Jesus because His primary claim as being the Son of God, salvation through Him and Him alone, directly refutes and completely repudiates all of them: Judaism must conclude their messiah has yet come, Hindus will call him just a manifestation of their primary god Vishnu incarnated to enlighten the west, Buddhists will call him just a reincarnated Buddha and the new age movement, which draws from them is just a modernized and westernized form of it, will say he just reached some state of enlightenment available to us all, and Islam has to say Christians have corrupted His message.

And our resident atheists are forced to say, "yeah, well that's just like your opinion, man; no one knows. Who is to say?"

Why do the atheists here harp on free will when atheists don’t believe in free will?

”“And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: ‘The words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, who shuts and no one opens. “‘I know your works. Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut. I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Behold, I will make those of the synagogue of Satan who say that they are Jews and are not, but lie—behold, I will make them come and bow down before your feet, and they will learn that I have loved you. Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth. I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown. The one who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God. Never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’“

‭‭Revelation‬ ‭3‬:‭7‬-‭13‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Reactions: SDC888
Still working on it, but I think we are getting there!

h36vh423PiV9K.webp

No, this issue is a personal issue, a personal one which cannot be arrived at by committee.

Reactions: berniecarbo
Although I do not pretend to understand the deep math beneath the laws of Physics, I've always enjoyed watching and listening to Sean Carroll explain complex topics to both peers and laymen. An excellent communicator with a personable style, here is a very interesting five-minute video that addresses the question of whether there is life after death. His contention is that the laws of Physics, specifically with regard to atoms, indicates that there is no afterlife and death is final. Regardless of your personal beliefs, his presentation is thought-provoking, to say the least. He has MANY other youtubes on a myriad of interesting deep topics ... I love watching them, although I do not pretend to fully understand them.

Last edited:
Here is another video that takes a very deep dive into the question of FREE WILL. Sapolsky and O'Connor are a pair of folks who are most interesting to listen to. Sapolsky, a Biologist, is an easy-listen in a personal, enthusiastic and comfortable way. He humbly invites you to think along with him. This video is a recent release that appears to have been well-received by people who enjoy these sorts of topics and interviews. Sapolsky has a recent book out, released 10/17/2023, entitled: "Determined: A Science of Life Without Free Will" ...

Last edited:
Professing themselves to be wise, they have become fools.
“The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.”
—- Confucius

“Knowledge is good.”
—- Emil Faber

Last edited:
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."

George Bernard Shaw - your fellow atheist

Excellent quote, of course, but who is he talking to ??

I am talking to you.

I do not defer my intelligence and reasoning to others. The people you've deferred to are wrong, thinking they know something they don't.

I am talking to you.

I do not defer my intelligence and reasoning to others. The people you've deferred to are wrong, thinking they know something they don't.
I have shared things that I can relate to, thinking others, not all, may find them interesting and thought-provoking. Regards topics like afterlife and free will, my beliefs have always been of my own development. Yes, I do defer to experts and scholars for scientific explanations, most definitely, but my beliefs were self-originated prior to ever hearing the science. As I have stated, I find their presentations very interesting.

That is philosophy, scientific materialism, not science. They are no more experts than anyone else just because they ground their reasoning in physics or biology.

They have the illusion of knowledge and would've been better off ignorant because they are misapplying what they know.

Absolutely no comment on what he’s actually saying as I stopped watching after 2 mins, but man when people start getting so flowery and overwordy I just can’t take them seriously.

Interesting. It’s a clip from a bigger interview, but I did not perceive any “flowery” or “overwordy” language. He is talking philosophy and genetics. There is a jargon for both, so maybe that is not appealing. Sorry.

Interesting. It’s a clip from a bigger interview, but I did not perceive any “flowery” or “overwordy” language. He is talking philosophy and genetics. There is a jargon for both, so maybe that is not appealing. Sorry.

No need to be sorry just a general random pointless comment I figured I’d share 😂. The guy used about 26 words to describe a sentence and I just lost interest. Plenty of similar examples posted by atheists in this thread as well.

No need to be sorry just a general random pointless comment I figured I’d share 😂. The guy used about 26 words to describe a sentence and I just lost interest. Plenty of similar examples posted by atheists in this thread as well.

I re-listened to see if I agreed with your opinion. Nope. He is fairly concise, but also covers a lot of foundational ground in a short period.

Interesting interview clip, for sure. I have never heard of Meyer. Thank you for the introduction.
After a bit of research, I've learned he has no real background in the science that he questions, as he is primarily a philosopher and educator. Thus, as interesting as his positions are and how articulately he presents them, I'm not sure they are remotely credible in the scientific community. I will look for more videos, perhaps in debate format, to explore him.

Last edited:
He is a philosopher of science, not a scientist, but the critiques he makes of evolution are made by scientists and mathematicians, like those made by his friend David Berlisnki, a mathematician and molecular biologist who asserts macro evolution to be mathematically impossible.

Meyer is going to be wordy; that's what philosophy is, but he is attempting to tackle a problem for which scientific materialism has no answer... which is why? As Einstein noted, the most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible. He saw no reason why it should be so. This is not a concern for modern scientific materialism: it's answer is simply, "it just is." For previous generations of scientists, howerver, the reason was that our minds were made in the image of God so that we could understand the reality he created, that the universe is intelligible because it was created by a great intelligence.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan

For those that have asked in this thread, “Why do you even care what other people believe?”. This is another example of why people care. Because things like this are taught to a congregation from a pulpit on a Sunday.
Three questions:
1) Are yoga pants, pants ??
2) Has he ever been to a beach, lake or swimming pool ??
3) Has he ever been to a womens’ gymnastics, swim or track meet, much less a soccer or basketball game ??
I am sure he is the vast exception, but he’s really out there …

Last edited:

For those that have asked in this thread, “Why do you even care what other people believe?”. This is another example of why people care. Because things like this are taught to a congregation from a pulpit on a Sunday.

Your reasoning justifies everyone posting Tik Tok and YouTube videos to demonstrate the evils of culture and non-believers. Libs of Tik Tok and you have something in common.

I had lots of questions…

Why would anyone tell the females that if they are a victim of a violent sexual assault, that they are to blame?

Why would anyone tell the males that violent sexual assault is normal and OK?

Why did no one in the congregation gasp in horror, boo, object, or gather their children and immediately leave?

Why didn’t that a-hole preach from bible and remind the males in the audience to read Matthew 5:28-29?

Reactions: JDHoss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT