ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Is there a God ??

Is there a God ??

• Yes

Votes: 183 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 58 24.1%

• Total voters
NSFW language. Perfect take on religion.

Transference of fear and self-loathing to an authoritarian vessel. It's catharsis. He absorbs their dread with his narrative. Because of this, he's effective at proportion to the amount of certainty he can project. Certain linguistic anthropologists think that religion is a language virus that rewrites pathways in the brain. Dulls critical thinking.

“God” (thousands of them across various cultures and time periods) was created in the tiny brains of ancient men when they didn’t/couldn’t understand a damn thing. Lightning, floods, volcanos, thunder, swarms of locusts, solar eclipse, or anything unusual or scary. Their god made it happen.

No, there’s no such thing as a god, nor gods, nor goddesses.

Religion is a crutch for the weak to lean on. To turn every thing you don't understand and are afraid of over to some unseen thing so you don't have to ponder the eternal nothingness that awaits us all.

You want me to tell you exactly what death is like? Death is exactly like before you were born. All that ocean of time that existed before your birth. That's what we all return to.

You're not the slightest bit afraid of the time before you were born, so why fear the time after you are dead? They are one in the same.

I would add an option for unsure.

I’m an ex-Catholic who teeters between agnostic and atheist. I’m not convinced there
is a god, or at least I’m not sure said god exists in the form many faiths believe as I’ve never seen any evidence. I also don’t have hard evidence there isn’t a god, so I’m not confident enough to definitively say no.

I do not believe that notion of a higher power could be feasible, although unlikely, but I also find organized religion to be a cancerous ponzi scheme that breeds more hate than love. I have no problem with spirituality and worshiping the god of one’s choosing, as long as I am not expected to share those beliefs.

“God” (thousands of them across various cultures and time periods) was created in the tiny brains of ancient men when they didn’t/couldn’t understand a damn thing. Lightning, floods, volcanos, thunder, swarms of locusts, solar eclipse, or anything unusual or scary. Their god made it happen.

No, there’s no such thing as a god, nor gods, nor goddesses.
I beg to differ sir...

Her name is Aphrodite
And she rides a crimson shell
And you know you cannot leave her
For you touched the distant sands
With tales of brave Ulysses
How his naked ears were tortured
By the sirens sweetly singing
🎸😎🎸

There is a space there for something. Evolution absolutely disproves religion IMO. But the hole is in our basic understanding even of what creation is.

For example, you always have the "well what created that" argument that gets traced back to a very unsatisfying answer in The Big Bang. That a blast from sheer nothingness created everything else. That is no good for me.

Since both religion and The Big Bang are not adequate explanations to me, I suggest a 3rd thing. Creation itself is a false assumption. That in order for something to exist it must have been created from something else ultimately. I find a Carl Sagan-esque answer that "The Universe is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be" much more sensible.

The same basic ingredients in the universe simply always have been and they ceaselessly churn to create all else and that a circle is the only expression of those basic ingredients for why they always have been. If you go far enough you always return to where you were. That includes time as well. A perpetual recurrence of the same basic ingredients churning in a circular loop of both time and space.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Absolutely there is a God. Something created all of this
It takes a whole lot more faith to believe all of this was created from random elements bumping into each other, than to believe in a God creating it, even if he did so using some of the methods evolutionists believe so much in. So I believe Evolution was a tool used by God to create all of this. To believe otherwise is the biggest act of faith ever.

Religion is a crutch for the weak to lean on. To turn every thing you don't understand and are afraid of over to some unseen thing so you don't have to ponder the eternal nothingness that awaits us all.

You want me to tell you exactly what death is like? Death is exactly like before you were born. All that ocean of time that existed before your birth. That's what we all return to.

You're not the slightest bit afraid of the time before you were born, so why fear the time after you are dead? They are one and the same.
Agree but your first sentence is not fair to a lot. Some people need faith or something to believe in to navigate life. If it helps them then great but not fair to call them weak. I think that’s true in these times. In earlier yrs it was out of fear because the only info they were ever given was that fiction collection of short stories. And before that it was chariots carrying the sun across the sky.
But if it helps people then great. Calling them weak is not fair

Reactions: LOL_Man
Is there a humanoid type figure in the sky that created every thing in 7 days and controls stuff?- no.
Is there one or more superior beings that exist at much higher levels in the universe that may have been involved in the creation of the universe as we know it - as theoretical physicist Michio Kaku puts it "Grand Orchestrating Designer(s)" (GODs)? probably.

Last edited:
Not only do I feel extremely strongly about my personal beliefs formed from my own personal experiences and backgrounds, but believe very strongly in everyone else’s!!!

Saying no just based on the fact that what makes us as humans so special that we live on in another realm after death? Only us would be so entitled that we believe everything that lives eventually dies and has no afterlife, but our spirits (whatever a spirit is) "lives" on in a "good place" or a "bad place" and if it's the "good place", we get to see our friends and family that died long ago. Has no one wondered why the idea of Heaven is calm, comforting, perfect, beautiful, while Hell is fire, pain, screaming, agony? I could come up with that storyline. God is a comfort tool and there's nothing wrong with that. We can't wrap our minds around impossible questions so it's simpler to manufacture an idea, call it God, and just say "God" whenever there's a complicated answer none of us can answer.

I can buy that some mechanism for an ultimate creation exists that is beyond our ability to comprehend.

Linear thinking in terms of time and space infer an infinite expanse and that is not possible. Look around the universe and what is the shape of all you see? Round. No beginning and no end. That is the only shape that makes sense for time and space. Therefore, no matter how unimaginably big, it will be circular and you will arrive from where you started both in time and space. Whether it be on a planet, a star, a universe, or time itself. They bend back onto themselves until they begin again.

Is there a humanoid type figure in the sky that created everythingn in 7 days and controls stuff?- no.
Is there one or more superior beings that exist at much higher levels in the universe that may have been involved in the creation of the universe as we know it - as theatrical physicist Michio Kaku puts it "Grand Orchestrating Designer(s)" (GODs)? probably.

Saying no just based on the fact that what makes us as humans so special that we live on in another realm after death? Only us would be so entitled that we believe everything that lives eventually dies and has no afterlife, but our spirits (whatever a spirit is) "lives" on in a "good place" or a "bad place" and if it's the "good place", we get to see our friends and family that died long ago. Has no one wondered why the idea of Heaven is calm, comforting, perfect, beautiful, while Hell is fire, pain, screaming, agony? I could come up with that storyline. God is a comfort tool and there's nothing wrong with that. We can't wrap our minds around impossible questions so it's simpler to manufacture an idea, call it God, and just say "God" whenever there's a complicated answer none of us can answer.
To your point … God of The Gaps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightwish84
Is there a humanoid type figure in the sky that created everythingn in 7 days and controls stuff?- no.
Is there one or more superior beings that exist at much higher levels in the universe that may have been involved in the creation of the universe as we know it - as theatrical physicist Michio Kaku puts it "Grand Orchestrating Designer(s)" (GODs)? probably.

Kaku is fairly theatrical, but Neil deGrasse Tyson is far more so.

• Haha
Reactions: entropy13
There is a space there for something. Evolution absolutely disproves religion IMO. But the hole is in our basic understanding even of what creation is.

For example, you always have the "well what created that" argument that gets traced back to a very unsatisfying answer in The Big Bang. That a blast from sheer nothingness created everything else. That is no good for me.
The Big Bang was just whomever created the simulation we exist in pressing the power button or hitting the "start" key.

(I'm not entirely convinced of this argument, but it is something to chew on.)

Since both religion and The Big Bang are not adequate explanations to me, I suggest a 3rd thing. Creation itself is a false assumption. That in order for something to exist it must have been created from something else ultimately. I find a Carl Sagan-esque answer that "The Universe is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be" much more sensible.

The same basic ingredients in the universe simply always have been and they ceaselessly churn to create all else and that a circle is the only expression of those basic ingredients for why they always have been. If you go far enough you always return to where you were. That includes time as well. A perpetual recurrence of the same basic ingredients churning in a circular loop of both time and space.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Tyson became a cosmologist because of Sagan, as you probably already know.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
We have an infantile understanding of the universe and yet some seem sure that there can be no higher power. Very odd.
Non-believers are more inclined to say “we don’t know” rather than “God did it” … it seems to me. This strikes me as prudent and honest, rather than odd. There is certainly proof that science doesn’t know everything, but there is no proof that a god exists.

Of course so. How can there be all these amazing creations without a Creator?

I mean, the greatest technology ever invented is US, the human body, mind & soul. A trifecta..

They want & like to play God today in this new advanced technology world & culture, but they still can’t duplicate it or beat him.

They still can’t produce a human body & soul, but they are trying, not gonna age well for them…

All of these threads should do a better job of people identifying themselves as atheist or agnostic - as there is a big difference
I am an atheist. I do not know, with certainty, that a god does not exist, but I definitely do not believe one does. I would certainly accept and believe in god with demonstrable, verifiable proof and evidence of existence.

Last edited:
I believe people think there is a hell because alot of people get cremated and if your being burnt then that sure sounds like hell. Not for the throw a body in the ground theory. Guess I'll figure that one out some other time.

Did the OP ask if the Judeo-Christian God exists or is that the only idea of "God" you're aware of?

Dismissing your understanding of the Judeo-Christian idea of God is not sufficient for affirming the non-existence of something that would be considered "God". Using this very narrow minded thinking to claim such universal knowledge shows intellectually stunted arrogance, imo.

One may possibly answer yes or no to defined characters for which we have adequate information and criteria to be considered. However, we're all too ignorant and dumb to dismiss that which we don't have the knowledge or slightest capacity for understanding.

That's the situation as I currently see it.

Reactions: The-Hack and UKMKG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT