ADVERTISEMENT

Players already jumping into the Transfer Portal

Dude....there was paying of players back in the day...but not to the tune of millions and not like 50k per starter (as is reported at Notre Dame).

We were talking a new vehicle and maybe 100k to the best player in high school. But what is happening today is nothing of sorts what was happening today.
That’s not accurate, and you could argue that what’s happening today in college sports pales in comparison to back then.

But as far as the dollar amounts are concerned, the amounts you see today are commensurate with the amounts paid back then when you adjust for things like inflation and the market value of competing opportunities. Many of the schools at that time were also directly paying all of the players on the team, similar to your Notre Dame example.

And that’s before you start considering other transfer issues like schools enrolling players under fake names to conceal the fact that they were transfers when other schools started complaining about the transfer problem.

In 1940, the Border Conference kicked Texas Tech football out of the conference for a year over their shady transfer practices. The other conference members were wanting to try to crack down on the number of transfers and Texas Tech kept skirting the rules.

Point being, kids will always avail themselves of the opportunity to transfer when those are opportunities are aggressively presented to them. Transfers today have nothing to do with this generation of kids being any different than prior generations, and the history of college sports proves that to be true.

Hank Bachmeier available again! Rumor was if Scan stayed last yr he would have been a top target to be our 2023 qb.

That’s not accurate, and you could argue that what’s happening today in college sports pales in comparison to back then.

But as far as the dollar amounts are concerned, the amounts you see today are commensurate with the amounts paid back then when you adjust for things like inflation and the market value of competing opportunities. Many of the schools at that time were also directly paying all of the players on the team, similar to your Notre Dame example.

And that’s before you start considering other transfer issues like schools enrolling players under fake names to conceal the fact that they were transfers when other schools started complaining about the transfer problem.

In 1940, the Border Conference kicked Texas Tech football out of the conference for a year over their shady transfer practices. The other conference members were wanting to try to crack down on the number of transfers and Texas Tech kept skirting the rules.

Point being, kids will always avail themselves of the opportunity to transfer when those are opportunities are aggressively presented to them. Transfers today have nothing to do with this generation of kids being any different than prior generations, and the history of college sports proves that to be true.
It’s totally different and you are trying just way too hard. Give it a rest. Geez.

Try this old time story on for size: This story involves college football Hall of Famer Bobby Dodd. He leaves his home in either Kingsport, TN of Johnson City, TN by train on his way to college in Atlanta at GA Tech. At a stop in Knoxville he's actually taken off the train by TN coaches. He eventually escapes them and makes it to Atlanta where he becomes an A-A, HC and as I mentioned, a Hall of Famer. Named the stadium after him too. So things are bad now but we haven't resorted to kidnapping....yet.

It is true. It doesn’t matter if it’s “NIL” from a collective or cash directly from the university.

In both cases, you’re offering compensation to a prospective student athlete for the purpose of inducing the athlete to play for your team.

Fundamentally, they’re the same thing for the same purpose. The only difference is what they’re called and the route the money takes before flowing into the athletes pocket.

Today’s “NIL” is the same thing that was happening during the first several decades of college athletics, and it was just as rampant back then as it is today.
Wrong. The amount of money makes a huge difference.

Try this old time story on for size: This story involves college football Hall of Famer Bobby Dodd. He leaves his home in either Kingsport, TN of Johnson City, TN by train on his way to college in Atlanta at GA Tech. At a stop in Knoxville he's actually taken off the train by TN coaches. He eventually escapes them and makes it to Atlanta where he becomes an A-A, HC and as I mentioned, a Hall of Famer. Named the stadium after him too. So things are bad now but we haven't resorted to kidnapping....yet.
Hadn’t heard that one before, but if true, that’s funny.

People who are complaining about things today would’ve hated college sports in the early part of the 20th century. It was the Wild West back then.

Reactions: Girthang

I don't think over multi million dollar a year is a factor of inflation.....people getting paid is way more kids and way more money on those gettign paid.

Hadn’t heard that one before, but if true, that’s funny.

People who are complaining about things today would’ve hated college sports in the early part of the 20th century. It was the Wild West back then.
I don't know if the story is true, will say it was always told as truth years ago. FWIW.

You're right about things used to be Wild Westish. Don't forget, there was a time that college football was close to being cancelled. Too many serious injuries, even deaths. Foggy memory but wasn't it Teddy Roosevelt that actually saved it?

I'd hold off on portal QB in general til after bowl. Specifically want to see want the Alabama and Texas backups do.

Also said in another thread, this staff really needs to consider remaining eligibility. We really need a guy who can be a multiyear starter. As nice as an experienced starter sounds and seems, this new guy, new offense, training wheels for 6-8 weeks routine isn't great.

Growing pains are fine if we're going to get 2-3 years out of a guy and those initial bumps in the road pay off in year 2-3.

I don't want to watch guy flounder around to a 7-win season again and then we lose him, and we have to start all over, and there's no pay off for that learning curve the next year.

Sounds like K State fans aren’t upset about Howard because they want to see their younger QB play anyway. I didn’t watch him play though

Reactions: Rockford
I'd hold off on portal QB in general til after bowl. Specifically want to see want the Alabama and Texas backups do.

Also said in another thread, this staff really needs to consider remaining eligibility. We really need a guy who can be a multiyear starter. As nice as an experienced starter sounds and seems, this new guy, new offense, training wheels for 6-8 weeks routine isn't great.

Growing pains are fine if we're going to get 2-3 years out of a guy and those initial bumps in the road pay off in year 2-3.

I don't want to watch guy flounder around to a 7-win season again and then we lose him, and we have to start all over, and there's no pay off for that learning curve the next year.
I sure they want a multi-year starter but they're going to get who can help them win now. I'd like them to have at least a 2 year starter, RS Saunders his freshman year then go from there.

Reactions: Girthang
Everyone wants a great, multi-year starter, but after the growing pains this year, the nags would riot if we don't get the best available now and go through it again. (jk... They'll nag either way)

I don't know if the story is true, will say it was always told as truth years ago. FWIW.

You're right about things used to be Wild Westish. Don't forget, there was a time that college football was close to being cancelled. Too many serious injuries, even deaths. Foggy memory but wasn't it Teddy Roosevelt that actually saved it?
Roosevelt played a key role. He was a huge football fan and was concerned about it being outlawed if they didn’t do something to clean up the game.

Reactions: mrschwump
I don't think over multi million dollar a year is a factor of inflation.....people getting paid is way more kids and way more money on those gettign paid.
The amounts spent back then are on par with what they are today, and the number of athletes being paid back then is higher than what we see today.

You used to have most schools ensuring every player on the team was compensated, and at the top schools, the amount of compensation was enough for the player to support his entire family.

If you’re a top athlete in the early 1930s, during the height of the Great Depression, and a school offers you a $1,000 stipend, plus a luxury apartment, plus a new car, plus a full scholarship, plus a no-show job, etc., that ends up being just as strong an inducement as offering a kid a $1M+ today. At a time when people couldn’t find jobs to support their families, that type of offer was a massive amount. And most big schools were making offers for nearly all of their players. So the amounts back then are on par with the offers today in terms of their attractiveness to players.

The only difference between today’s offers and the offers in the early decades of the sport, is how the total amount of money spent was distributed across positions. The amounts back then were much more equitable across positions, whereas today, positions like QBs command a premium because of how the game has evolved. However, if football in the 1930s looked like football today, you would’ve seen QBs earn a higher percentage of the money than they actually did at the time.

The amounts spent back then are on par with what they are today, and the number of athletes being paid back then is higher than what we see today.

You used to have most schools ensuring every player on the team was compensated, and at the top schools, the amount of compensation was enough for the player to support his entire family.

If you’re a top athlete in the early 1930s, during the height of the Great Depression, and a school offers you a $1,000 stipend, plus a luxury apartment, plus a new car, plus a full scholarship, plus a no-show job, etc., that ends up being just as strong an inducement as offering a kid a $1M+ today. At a time when people couldn’t find jobs to support their families, that type of offer was a massive amount. And most big schools were making offers for nearly all of their players. So the amounts back then are on par with the offers today in terms of their attractiveness to players.

The only difference between today’s offers and the offers in the early decades of the sport, is how the total amount of money spent was distributed across positions. The amounts back then were much more equitable across positions, whereas today, positions like QBs command a premium because of how the game has evolved. However, if football in the 1930s looked like football today, you would’ve seen QBs earn a higher percentage of the money than they actually did at the time.
True. I recall reading a quote from an anonymous SEC coach back in the Eric Dickerson era that it'd cost "$30,000 to get a top RB out of the state of Texas." Probably triple that or higher now.

I had 5 guys I played high school with at Male High school that played under Bill Curry.....they didn't get money to play for UK. One went on to be a starter and heavy contributor.

They got a scholly, apartment (those are standard living arrangements), meals, etc... the standard stuff. They may have done some "jobs" that didn't require to work 20 hours for 2 hours of pay. But again, we're talking $5 bucks an hour stuff.

You are living in a dream world if you the guard and variety UK player 30 years ago is on par with dudes like Cox, Dingle, Ox, etc...not even the star players...just dudes that contribute. IT's not even on the same planet.

In an ideal world, yeah. Reality is qbs will want to do visits and decide in December where they are going to move into beginning of January. We will have to land someone before Christmas or be picking from leftovers.

He was committed to UGA for months, then about 2 weeks before early signing day he decided he wanted to be an EE. UGA did have room for another EE so he signed with ATM. Good player and good kid, or at least his film looked good.
Grump
Your dawgs will win the next 2 then we will take another look. I want the cats in the playoffs by 2025. You all have kicked BAMA off their throne.

I had 5 guys I played high school with at Male High school that played under Bill Curry.....they didn't get money to play for UK. One went on to be a starter and heavy contributor.

They got a scholly, apartment (those are standard living arrangements), meals, etc... the standard stuff. They may have done some "jobs" that didn't require to work 20 hours for 2 hours of pay. But again, we're talking $5 bucks an hour stuff.

You are living in a dream world if you the guard and variety UK player 30 years ago is on par with dudes like Cox, Dingle, Ox, etc...not even the star players...just dudes that contribute. IT's not even on the same planet.
I’m discussing how things were before the crackdown that started in the early to mid-1950s.

Prior to that, players were paid pretty evenly across position groups, with All-American level players able to command a bit more. That is one established fact.

The second established fact is that the packages that schools were offering players back then is on par with the amount of inducement money flowing around today.

Today, if you wanted to offer to your team the same level of total compensation as the big schools in the 1920s and 1930s were offering, it would cost you around $7 million to $10 million per team. That’s about the same amount that coaches today at the bigger schools are saying they need for NIL. What happened back then is very similar to what we see today.

Which gets back to my main point at the start of this thread, which is simply this: the transfer numbers that we see today have nothing to do with Gen Z. It has everything to do with human nature, and the history of college sports shows this to be true. When kids are aggressively pursued and presented with lots of opportunities, they’ll take advantage of them.

In other words, kids today are no different than kids in the 1930s when it comes to transferring. Throw opportunities at people, and lots of them will choose to take advantage of the situation.

You are living in a dream world if you the guard and variety UK player 30 years ago is on par with dudes like Cox, Dingle, Ox, etc...not even the star players...just dudes that contribute.
confused-what.gif

Damn! This dude is like an even bigger version of Will Levis! Having a QB that can get you yards with his legs just gives your offense a whole new dimension. Will Howard would be a perfect QB for Liam Coen's offense. We need to do whatever it takes to get this guy and if that means really dipping into the NIL pool, then so be it. We've got to have a stud QB if we want to avoid being garbage next season. I haven't seen anyone who would be a more perfect match for UK than Howard.

Damn! This dude is like an even bigger version of Will Levis! Having a QB that can get you yards with his legs just gives your offense a whole new dimension. Will Howard would be a perfect QB for Liam Coen's offense. We need to do whatever it takes to get this guy and if that means really dipping into the NIL pool, then so be it. We've got to have a stud QB if we want to avoid being garbage next season. I haven't seen anyone who would be a more perfect match for UK than Howard.
He's my choice, will be expensive. He's from PA, hope somewhere along the way there's a past Coen/Woodward connection.

Would like to have this guy. His keepers are not the offense we run tho. Although I wish we would add that aspect.

What about Grant Bingham, why did he leave. I remember when he signed about how glad he was to be a cat, people said in time he would be a good lineman. What happens when players like him get here, a Kentucky boy, then he leaves. If you don't think you can play here don't come, you're wasting the staff's time.

This is the QB UK needs but he'll be expensive. 6'5" 235, 2600+ passing yards, about 400 rushing yards. He's from PA, hoping Coen/Woodward have a connection somehow.

Just feels like this is the guy they're going to make a priority. The new England connection is just too big to ignore.

If course the wsu guy but sounds like that's some insane nil money we can't touch. Will be interesting to watch. Seems a&m should be in that mix with their open checkbook

Reactions: mrschwump
What about Grant Bingham, why did he leave. I remember when he signed about how glad he was to be a cat, people said in time he would be a good lineman. What happens when players like him get here, a Kentucky boy, then he leaves. If you don't think you can play here don't come, you're wasting the staff's time.
Good question. When the BBW was up and running, we leaned on some in-state O linemen to develop and really perform for us.

Just feels like this is the guy they're going to make a priority. The new England connection is just too big to ignore.

If course the wsu guy but sounds like that's some insane nil money we can't touch. Will be interesting to watch. Seems a&m should be in that mix with their open checkbook
Will Howard is an intriguing option. Pretty solid stats overall, but kind of a mediocre completion percentage, that's about the only concerning thing, though. Seems like he's very athletic with rushing ability, accounted for 24 passing TDs and 9 rushing TDs this past season. Also had one receiving TD!

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/will-howard-2.html

FWIW, Pennsylvania, where the kid is from, isn't considered part of New England.

The WSU kid looks great too, higher completion percentage. Although, you'd have the haters on here saying he's too short at 6'2", same as Leary. 🙄 Haven't seen or heard anything about our staff being in contact, though.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/cameron-ward-1.html

Another name that's been mentioned as a possible option is are Brock Vandagriff (UGA).

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Not saying this is what happened.....but how the frick is a high school kid supposed to know what the actual life of a college football player really is like? The insane time commitments, the physical conditioning and weight training they are pushed through to increase strength/mass. oh and some class work that is harder than high school, even for the areas football players are encouraged into.

Some bloom, some can't commit 100%, nobody knows. That's why classes are 25 but the roster is 85. I'm sure UK thinks everyone they sign will develop, but some always get hurt, or have trouble with grades, or just never level up to be an SEC fast abd strong football player, they maxed out in HS.

Will Howard is an intriguing option. Pretty solid stats overall, but kind of a mediocre completion percentage, that's about the only concerning thing, though. Seems like he's very athletic with rushing ability, accounted for 24 passing TDs and 9 rushing TDs this past season. Also had one receiving TD!

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/will-howard-2.html

FWIW, Pennsylvania, where the kid is from, isn't considered part of New England.

The WSU kid looks great too, higher completion percentage. Although, you'd have the haters on here saying he's too short at 6'2", same as Leary. 🙄 Haven't seen or heard anything about our staff being in contact, though.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/cameron-ward-1.html

Another name that's been mentioned as a possible option is are Brock Vandagriff (UGA).
WSU QB transferred to WSU from Incarnate Word when his coach was hired at WSU. He's a great athlete, really good arm but my only concern is he sometimes tries to do too much and that gets him in trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT