ADVERTISEMENT

Players already jumping into the Transfer Portal

This random tweet showed up in my X feed. I guess if your team isn’t going to a bowl and you’re buried on the depth chart, unhappy, etc., why not announce it now?

Months ago, it was predicted by several online sources that this would become an overactive year for decommits and for transfers. The rules permit it impulsively and arbitrarily, without consequences. These young players expect immediate gratification, just like almost every Generation Z individual. There is more roster turnover than there used to be, and nothing that is happening now will reduce it. Leaving seems easier than staying and working harder. It's the times. It will get worse.

UK apparently will get a visit from a Texas A&M WR, Dec/early Jan will be a busy time.
His name is Raymond Cottrell, from Milton, FL. He has scheduled a visit to Lexington, but I have a hard time seeing this working out for us. Multiple SEC programs will be after him. Until we get a QB for 2024 and hire a better WR coach, I objectively don't understand why a young receiver with Cottrell's talents and options would transfer to UK. I haven't seen Coach Woodward exhibit this level of recruiting traction. Our current WRs are struggling. Unless we receive a quick public commitment from a fantastic transfer QB, Cottrell will view himself as better off somewhere else.

Months ago, it was predicted by several online sources that this would become an overactive year for decommits and for transfers. The rules permit it impulsively and arbitrarily, without consequences. These young players expect immediate gratification, just like almost every Generation Z individual. There is more roster turnover than there used to be, and nothing that is happening now will reduce it. Leaving seems easier than staying and working harder. It's the times. It will get worse.
This isn’t a Gen Z issue. Players were transferring just as much prior to the creation of the year in residence rule.

Tramp athletes were rampant in the 1920s and 1930s. Fielding Yost (creator of the linebacker position and founder of the Rose Bowl), started the 1896 season playing for West Virginia. In October of that season, he transferred to Lafayette and played in one game before transferring back to West Virginia for the remainder of the season.

People leaving to look for a new opportunity isn’t a generational issue. It’s human nature, always has been and always will be. If folks don’t like the freedom of movement, that’s their prerogative, but we shouldn’t pretend like this is some issue with a younger generation when history tells us that’s not the case.

This isn’t a Gen Z issue. Players were transferring just as much prior to the creation of the year in residence rule.

Tramp athletes were rampant in the 1920s and 1930s. Fielding Yost (creator of the linebacker position and founder of the Rose Bowl), started the 1896 season playing for West Virginia. In October of that season, he transferred to Lafayette and played in one game before transferring back to West Virginia for the remainder of the season.

People leaving to look for a new opportunity isn’t a generational issue. It’s human nature, always has been and always will be. If folks don’t like the freedom of movement, that’s their prerogative, but we shouldn’t pretend like this is some issue with a younger generation when history tells us that’s not the case.
This is a whole lot more about Generation Z than it is about the 1920s and 1930s.

This is a whole lot more about Generation Z than it is about the 1920s and 1930s.
No it isn’t. Kids today transfer because they are offered the opportunity to play more, play for a better team, earn more money, etc.

Those are the exact same reasons that people were transferring in the 1920s and 1930s.

Human nature today is the same as human nature then.

His name is Raymond Cottrell, from Milton, FL. He has scheduled a visit to Lexington, but I have a hard time seeing this working out for us. Multiple SEC programs will be after him. Until we get a QB for 2024 and hire a better WR coach, I objectively don't understand why a young receiver with Cottrell's talents and options would transfer to UK. I haven't seen Coach Woodward exhibit this level of recruiting traction. Our current WRs are struggling. Unless we receive a quick public commitment from a fantastic transfer QB, Cottrell will view himself as better off somewhere else.
Cottrell apparently has a good relationship with Chris Collins that goes back to his HS days in FL. Cottrell was a 4* in HS, had at least 8 SEC offers.....but has played limited minutes at TAM. Why, I don't know, maybe injuries or maybe others just passed him by. At 6'3" 210 the first thing that comes to mind is what kind of speed does he have? Is he a deep threat or a dreaded "possession" receiver?

Have no idea who but I think UK will move quickly on a portal QB. I have 2 personal favorites but have no idea what kind of plans either has. QB #1 fav for me is Tulane's Michael Pratt, 6'3' 220 is similar to Levis, strong arm/runner. Think he has one and a Covid left. Other guy I've seen that I really like is Fernando Mendoza of Cal. Cal's not very good but Mendoza is a RS freshman, 6'5" 210-215 and a surprisingly good athlete. Nice arm, good runner. Neither are in the portal at this time and I have no idea if they'd be interested but I'd sure try to buy them if I'm UK. Both are from FL, probably at least familiar to Brother Mike and Collins.

What are u drinking? Geez

What are u drinking? Geez
Nothing, I’m just familiar with the history of college sports and what’s happening today isn’t anything that new.

The 1937 Pitt Panthers were undefeated and ranked number one in the country. They decided to go on strike and skip the 1938 Rose Bowl because the players wanted the university to pay them more money. The university said no, so the players decided to opt out.

Players today aren’t really that different from players before.

Cottrell apparently has a good relationship with Chris Collins that goes back to his HS days in FL. Cottrell was a 4* in HS, had at least 8 SEC offers.....but has played limited minutes at TAM. Why, I don't know, maybe injuries or maybe others just passed him by. At 6'3" 210 the first thing that comes to mind is what kind of speed does he have? Is he a deep threat or a dreaded "possession" receiver?

Have no idea who but I think UK will move quickly on a portal QB. I have 2 personal favorites but have no idea what kind of plans either has. QB #1 fav for me is Tulane's Michael Pratt, 6'3' 220 is similar to Levis, strong arm/runner. Think he has one and a Covid left. Other guy I've seen that I really like is Fernando Mendoza of Cal. Cal's not very good but Mendoza is a RS freshman, 6'5" 210-215 and a surprisingly good athlete. Nice arm, good runner. Neither are in the portal at this time and I have no idea if they'd be interested but I'd sure try to buy them if I'm UK. Both are from FL, probably at least familiar to Brother Mike and Collins.
Ran a 1.14 100 as a junior in high school.

This bird will melt down when it becomes public. Just like always, not good enough, have you seen him play

Reactions: Rockford
Will Rodgers is being linked to Kentucky, I don’t really want him him here, he only looked decent in an air raid offense. He struggled in an offense that is similar to what uk runs this year at state. I rather uk go find somebody else
Did you see Rogers in the Egg Bowl last night? He's had an injury, don't know if it's arm or shoulder, but he was a shadow of what he once was. In fairness to him, he had not played in several weeks, SECN said he rushed his rehab to play in that game but the guy had nothing on the ball, no zip at all. Guys can heal, get better but I'd just as soon UK pass on Rogers.

Did you see Rogers in the Egg Bowl last night? He's had an injury, don't know if it's arm or shoulder, but he was a shadow of what he once was. In fairness to him, he had not played in several weeks, SECN said he rushed his rehab to play in that game but the guy had nothing on the ball, no zip at all. Guys can heal, get better but I'd just as soon UK pass on Rogers.
Yeah it would be a leary situation all over again. There will be some better options enter than Kentucky can get

Will Rodgers is being linked to Kentucky, I don’t really want him him here, he only looked decent in an air raid offense. He struggled in an offense that is similar to what uk runs this year at state. I rather uk go find somebody else
On the one hand, I hear what you are saying.

On the other hand, I look at how other transfers have panned out and think it’s really difficult to forecast how a QB will fare after a transfer. I think prior to this season, most of us would have assumed Leary would’ve had a much better season than Mertz at Florida based on how they looked at their previous schools. But it didn’t quite work out that way.

Rodgers’ history as an air raid QB gives me some skepticism too, but he played well enough that I think it’s at least worth the staff conducting some due diligence and looking into him as an option. You never know, he may end up really surprising people if he transferrs here.

Last night Rodger’s went for 25/39 and 207 yards. Ran one in for a TD. Playing the number 12 team in the country. Outplayed Dart in my mind. We would be lucky to have him at UK if we are going to spread the field on offense.

Last night Rodger’s went for 25/39 and 207 yards. Ran one in for a TD. Playing the number 12 team in the country. Outplayed Dart in my mind. We would be lucky to have him at UK if we are going to spread the field on offense.
Do you belive stoops if gonan spread the ball and play up tempo. Because I’m in the believe it when I see category there. And Rodgers put in a pro style offense like uk runs is the same as Leary

On the one hand, I hear what you are saying.

On the other hand, I look at how other transfers have panned out and think it’s really difficult to forecast how a QB will fare after a transfer. I think prior to this season, most of us would have assumed Leary would’ve had a much better season than Mertz at Florida based on how they looked at their previous schools. But it didn’t quite work out that way.

Rodgers’ history as an air raid QB gives me some skepticism too, but he played well enough that I think it’s at least worth the staff conducting some due diligence and looking into him as an option. You never know, he may end up really surprising people if he transferrs here.
Fair, right now I would be going all out to get him and wait and see what happens and what other options become available but Kentucky may love him and want him here now

Do you belive stoops if gonan spread the ball and play up tempo. Because I’m in the believe it when I see category there. And Rodgers put in a pro style offense like uk runs is the same as Leary
lol no I am like you. Hard to believe until I see it. But I like Rogers and he has a pretty high completion percentage. Like him much better than Leary for sure. A few guys in the country I like better but they may not hit the portal. Too early to say this guy would fit or not.

lol no I am like you. Hard to believe until I see it. But I like Rogers and he has a pretty high completion percentage. Like him much better than Leary for sure. A few guys in the country I like better but they may not hit the portal. Too early to say this guy would fit or not.
With the way football is going I want a QB who is a threat to run as well, idk if Rodgers is that or not at all. I just know he has to be put in a specific offense to work and idk if Kentucky will offer that or not. Rodgers coming here wouldn’t be the end of the world or anything, I just expect better options or maybe even better fits to be come available. But Kentucky has to start developing qbs in house, that’s a major problem

Reactions: bluecoon1
With the way football is going I want a QB who is a threat to run as well, idk if Rodgers is that or not at all. I just know he has to be put in a specific offense to work and idk if Kentucky will offer that or not. Rodgers coming here wouldn’t be the end of the world or anything, I just expect better options or maybe even better fits to be come available. But Kentucky has to start developing qbs in house, that’s a major problem
I’m going to try and not worry about this if I can. Until there’s some public reporting of Rogers making a visit to UK, or similar development indicating serious interest, I’m not going to put much stock into Matt Jones speculative tweets.

If Coen and Stoops thinks Rogers is a good fit and want to bring him on board then so be it.

Rogers hasn't had a great year ever since State moved away from the Air Raid system. However, we need all the QB help that we can get.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Lionel_Hutz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT