ADVERTISEMENT

Players already jumping into the Transfer Portal

From Connecticut, three year starter. I’d imagine Coen knows all about this guy and he’s exactly what we need.
Missed time this year with a shoulder injury, that's a red flag. Early list of likely suitors didn't have UK listed as a destination.

This player is from PA, wonder if there's a Coen/Woodward connection there? He's an outstanding QB, big guy too.
Interesting guy..... top 25 QB in terms of QB rating.. 6-5, 240... If he had a levis attitude he would be putting some hurt on some secondary dudes.

seems like what happens in the business world is happening in college athletics

at least in my industry, if people want to get their market value, they usually have to switch jobs.

most if not all of these kids are looking for a bigger payday as the reason they are leaving their school, and I suspect most if not all will get it -

and the real irony is, once they leave a void in their position, their old school will probably pay the guy replacing him what the transferring kid wanted to begin with to stay

The portal is becoming more important than HS recruiting....we've done pretty well so far, haven't lost anyone that really mattered and have picked up guys like Levis, Wandale, Leary and other key contributors. This year we'll have to defend Barion, Key, Deone and others. Interesting times for sure.
I did not like losing Justin Rogers. Also, Ja’Kobi Albert. Looks like Albert RSed this year at MSU. Time will tell whether he could have been a key contributor. Same with Goodwin.

Reactions: bluecoon1
Landing Rogers would tend to make me think they’re serious about going that direction.

If he's who you are stuck with, you have no other option

Great arm? I think he has a very average arm, has never played in anything but a spread offense. Don't think he would be the answer you are looking for.

Agree. Definitely not a great arm. Probably not even a good arm

Reactions: catben and Rockford
The transfer numbers are not that different from what they were in the early decades of college sports. Athletes in the early 20th century were transferring frequently, with many of them playing for multiple different schools over their career.

The reason transfer numbers came down has nothing to do with generational differences. It was entirely due to the universities banding together to pass rules that made transferring more difficult, and a much less attractive option for athletes.

Today, with the rule changes, kids are presented with a high number of opportunities, they are in demand and thus have leverage, and the switching costs are low. Over all of human history, when people are presented with that type of scenario, lots of people will choose to jump from opportunity to opportunity.

It has nothing to do with this generation of athletes. They’re simply behaving the way humans have always behaved.
This generation has NIL. I doubt transferring was as rampant prior to NCAA transfer rules. NIL makes it far more enticing.

This generation has NIL. I doubt transferring was as rampant prior to NCAA transfer rules. NIL makes it far more enticing.
NIL is no different than what schools were paying the athletes back then.

From 1926 to 1929, the Carnegie Foundation spent three years studying college athletics at 130 universities. Their investigation found that athletes were receiving compensation at 80% of the universities. Pay for play and inducements were rampant back then.

Hugh McElhenny provides an illustrative example. He initially enrolled at USC and transferred out when they stopped paying him while he was academically ineligible. He then began receiving lucrative transfer offers, the three biggest being from Washington, Alabama and Georgia.

He choose Washington because they were offering him the most. In addition to his scholarship, Washington paid for his honeymoon, provided a furnished apartment, gave him two new cars and paid him a monthly stipend. He was paid so much by Washington, that when he turned pro in 1952, his NFL salary meant he was taking a pay cut.

Most of NIL today is not true NIL, but inducements. And inducements were just as widespread back then as they are today.

And for the record, there were true NIL deals back then too. James Hogan had an NIL deal with American Tobacco back in 1904.

Missed time this year with a shoulder injury, that's a red flag. Early list of likely suitors didn't have UK listed as a destination.
Yeah, let's please bring in somebody who's healthy without a lengthy injury history.

I did not like losing Justin Rogers. Also, Ja’Kobi Albert. Looks like Albert RSed this year at MSU. Time will tell whether he could have been a key contributor. Same with Goodwin.

Doubt we ever hear from Goodwin again. That’s just the way it is when a player jumps around and then out of a program to which they transferred.

Reactions: Rockford
No it isn’t. Kids today transfer because they are offered the opportunity to play more, play for a better team, earn more money, etc.

Those are the exact same reasons that people were transferring in the 1920s and 1930s.

Human nature today is the same as human nature then.
I disagree. This generation doesn't get told "no", doesn't feel that it has to work for things, expects that the world will bow to their wishes, and are permanent victims. It's not their fault. It is what they have been taught, At some point, the pendulum has to swing back but it hasn't yet. I can't imagine being a teacher in an environment where you have to put up with disrespect and disruption.

Reactions: JASUN74
I dont care who we get, just please make it someone that knows how to use his feet as a weapon. Doesnt have to be a dual threat athlete at all, just someone who is able to take off occasionally on a read option and one who will always look to scramble out of the pocket when needed. Thats the number one weapon in college football today. Just cant play it straight from the pocket anymore.

Not true.
It is true. It doesn’t matter if it’s “NIL” from a collective or cash directly from the university.

In both cases, you’re offering compensation to a prospective student athlete for the purpose of inducing the athlete to play for your team.

Fundamentally, they’re the same thing for the same purpose. The only difference is what they’re called and the route the money takes before flowing into the athletes pocket.

Today’s “NIL” is the same thing that was happening during the first several decades of college athletics, and it was just as rampant back then as it is today.

That would be my guess. Looking at his numbers, I would pass on him. Reportedly a great kid. Seems like an awesome competitor, but he is inconsistent and, while a dual threat, not a Lynn Bowden, more a Will Levis.
yeah, but just not sure why he would be somebody that would "make some fans in the SEC mad." Could it be Graham Mertz? Doesn't he have another year left?

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
I guess it would make some SEC fans mad if we got Vandergriff? Or Ty Simpson? Not sure how mad since no one knows how either would actually do as a starting qb, lol.

Love trying to figure details in intentionally vague predictions!!!

It is true. It doesn’t matter if it’s “NIL” from a collective or cash directly from the university.

In both cases, you’re offering compensation to a prospective student athlete for the purpose of inducing the athlete to play for your team.

Fundamentally, they’re the same thing for the same purpose. The only difference is what they’re called and the route the money takes before flowing into the athletes pocket.

Today’s “NIL” is the same thing that was happening during the first several decades of college athletics, and it was just as rampant back then as it is today.
Dude....there was paying of players back in the day...but not to the tune of millions and not like 50k per starter (as is reported at Notre Dame).

We were talking a new vehicle and maybe 100k to the best player in high school. But what is happening today is nothing of sorts what was happening today.

IMO Gavin Wimsatt is a slightly improved version of Morgan Newton. Pass.
I didn't say anything about wanting him, I was just speculating on who the player could be, but the "make some SEC fans mad" comment leads me to believe Mertz may be the one being rumored since we thought he was coming here at one point before Leary jumped in.

Reactions: ukalum1988
I guess it would make some SEC fans mad if we got Vandergriff? Or Ty Simpson? Not sure how mad since no one knows how either would actually do as a starting qb, lol.

Love trying to figure details in intentionally vague predictions!!!
Were either of those rumored to be coming here at some point previously?

IMO Gavin Wimsatt is a slightly improved version of Morgan Newton. Pass.
Gavin Wimsatt was not highly wanted by Coen...and for good reason.

He finally got the ball as QB1 for Rutgers....and it was not pretty

47% completion percentage (that is downright pitiful) 1700 yards, 9 TD and 8 Ints. He did run it for 500 yards adn 9 more TDs....but that is downright awful QB stuff and UK was correct to not push hard for him and should be even less so in portal. He never had a game throwing for 200+ yards last year.

He was brutal his last year of high school ball. Why he did the whole let me get off to college and skip Sr year was odd and NIL influenced. But this should show what all is wrong with NIL....WImsatt never was a great QB prospect and what product would a person buy to make it worthwhile to pay Wimsatt a piece of that action is silly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT