ADVERTISEMENT

Players already jumping into the Transfer Portal

UK apparently will get a visit from a Texas A&M WR, Dec/early Jan will be a busy time.

Raymond Cottrell is his name I believe. He was committed to UGA for months, wanted to EE but UGA couldn't make the numbers work for that, so he signed with ATM. Wasn't an NIL grab. Good guy and good player.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Will Rogers…goodness I sure hope he’s not an option

1. He’s short….he needs a spread field to see which is three wide sets and total shotgun. Uk has like a zillion TE….we also get up under center and expect Qb to operate
2. He’s been a throw the ball 40 times a game for short pops all day….so you can drop the play action intermediate shots Roger’s is a throw four yard passes wjtb an occasional deep pass and back to short stuff….this is the exact opposite of what Coen teaches

I’d be hard pressed to even watch spring game if Roger’s is the plan

Last edited:
Do you belive stoops if gonan spread the ball and play up tempo. Because I’m in the believe it when I see category there. And Rodgers put in a pro style offense like uk runs is the same as Leary
Landing Rogers would tend to make me think they’re serious about going that direction.

Reactions: mattrudd
I’d take W Rodgers in a heartbeat. Kid has a great arm and sees the field well.

He hasn’t been the same since The Pirate passed. I think a new locker room would be great for him!

Great arm? I think he has a very average arm, has never played in anything but a spread offense. Don't think he would be the answer you are looking for.

His name is Raymond Cottrell, from Milton, FL. He has scheduled a visit to Lexington, but I have a hard time seeing this working out for us. Multiple SEC programs will be after him. Until we get a QB for 2024 and hire a better WR coach, I objectively don't understand why a young receiver with Cottrell's talents and options would transfer to UK. I haven't seen Coach Woodward exhibit this level of recruiting traction. Our current WRs are struggling. Unless we receive a quick public commitment from a fantastic transfer QB, Cottrell will view himself as better off somewhere else.

He was committed to UGA for months, then about 2 weeks before early signing day he decided he wanted to be an EE. UGA did have room for another EE so he signed with ATM. Good player and good kid, or at least his film looked good.

Absolutely not. Weak arm, not very mobile, floats a lot of throws. There will be better options out there.
When he was a freshman I really liked him, thought he had a nice future. Something happened, don't know what...maybe an injury but he's not the prospect he once was. You're right, better options will be there.

Months ago, it was predicted by several online sources that this would become an overactive year for decommits and for transfers. The rules permit it impulsively and arbitrarily, without consequences. These young players expect immediate gratification, just like almost every Generation Z individual. There is more roster turnover than there used to be, and nothing that is happening now will reduce it. Leaving seems easier than staying and working harder. It's the times. It will get worse.
Yup and some of these kids will end up without a spot too.

Reactions: maroon79
No it isn’t. Kids today transfer because they are offered the opportunity to play more, play for a better team, earn more money, etc.

Those are the exact same reasons that people were transferring in the 1920s and 1930s.

Human nature today is the same as human nature then.
Look at the transfer numbers over the years. They keep rising. That’s an issue with the current generation. I agree it’s human nature but nobody is loyal to anything today. Hard work or fighting thru tough times is not something many preach or value anymore.

This isn’t a Gen Z issue. Players were transferring just as much prior to the creation of the year in residence rule.

Tramp athletes were rampant in the 1920s and 1930s. Fielding Yost (creator of the linebacker position and founder of the Rose Bowl), started the 1896 season playing for West Virginia. In October of that season, he transferred to Lafayette and played in one game before transferring back to West Virginia for the remainder of the season.

People leaving to look for a new opportunity isn’t a generational issue. It’s human nature, always has been and always will be. If folks don’t like the freedom of movement, that’s their prerogative, but we shouldn’t pretend like this is some issue with a younger generation when history tells us that’s not the case.

Yep. They just at some point started punishing the athletes while the coaches could do it without a second thought.

Reactions: UKnCincy
The portal is becoming more important than HS recruiting....we've done pretty well so far, haven't lost anyone that really mattered and have picked up guys like Levis, Wandale, Leary and other key contributors. This year we'll have to defend Barion, Key, Deone and others. Interesting times for sure.

Look at the transfer numbers over the years. They keep rising. That’s an issue with the current generation. I agree it’s human nature but nobody is loyal to anything today. Hard work or fighting thru tough times is not something many preach or value anymore.
The transfer numbers are not that different from what they were in the early decades of college sports. Athletes in the early 20th century were transferring frequently, with many of them playing for multiple different schools over their career.

The reason transfer numbers came down has nothing to do with generational differences. It was entirely due to the universities banding together to pass rules that made transferring more difficult, and a much less attractive option for athletes.

Today, with the rule changes, kids are presented with a high number of opportunities, they are in demand and thus have leverage, and the switching costs are low. Over all of human history, when people are presented with that type of scenario, lots of people will choose to jump from opportunity to opportunity.

It has nothing to do with this generation of athletes. They’re simply behaving the way humans have always behaved.

He
Cottrell apparently has a good relationship with Chris Collins that goes back to his HS days in FL. Cottrell was a 4* in HS, had at least 8 SEC offers.....but has played limited minutes at TAM. Why, I don't know, maybe injuries or maybe others just passed him by. At 6'3" 210 the first thing that comes to mind is what kind of speed does he have? Is he a deep threat or a dreaded "possession" receiver?

Have no idea who but I think UK will move quickly on a portal QB. I have 2 personal favorites but have no idea what kind of plans either has. QB #1 fav for me is Tulane's Michael Pratt, 6'3' 220 is similar to Levis, strong arm/runner. Think he has one and a Covid left. Other guy I've seen that I really like is Fernando Mendoza of Cal. Cal's not very good but Mendoza is a RS freshman, 6'5" 210-215 and a surprisingly good athlete. Nice arm, good runner. Neither are in the portal at this time and I have no idea if they'd be interested but I'd sure try to buy them if I'm UK. Both are from FL, probably at least familiar to Brother Mike and Collins.
He isn't a burner like Brown is, but not a sloth either, 4.5 kind of guy, had some nice film from HS.

The transfer numbers are not that different from what they were in the early decades of college sports. Athletes in the early 20th century were transferring frequently, with many of them playing for multiple different schools over their career.

The reason transfer numbers came down has nothing to do with generational differences. It was entirely due to the universities banding together to pass rules that made transferring more difficult, and a much less attractive option for athletes.

Today, with the rule changes, kids are presented with a high number of opportunities, they are in demand and thus have leverage, and the switching costs are low. Over all of human history, when people are presented with that type of scenario, lots of people will choose to jump from opportunity to opportunity.

It has nothing to do with this generation of athletes. They’re simply behaving the way humans have always behaved.
COUNTERPOINT: TikTok is incredibly annoying.

Great arm? I think he has a very average arm, has never played in anything but a spread offense. Don't think he would be the answer you are looking for.

Obi Wan Mind GIF by Star Wars

Arkansas just had a all SEC linebacker enter, he would be a great one for uk look at but im sure there will be a long line for his services

Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT