ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones regarding the NIL at UK.

NIL has turned into a money grab. There are only a handful of players annually where the spend is justified. That was the main purpose of NIL. It is now everyone gets NIL money. In that world it becomes impossible to manage. Let’s say a 4 star recruit gets big NIL $$$. A starter get less the starter is leaving or getting paid. Either way the pool of money has to increase.

Money screws up the best people to think giving a lot of money to kids was going to work in a team environment was naive at best. The list of problems goes on forever.
I keep seeing people saying “that’s not what NIL was supposed to be…” or “not the purpose of NIL”…. Folks, NIL never had any intended purpose. NIL was born out of a repeal of rules forced upon college athletics. There wasn’t a plan. If there was any intent, that intent was to remove barriers from college athletes so they could earn money/benefits beyond their scholarships. Period. The same rules now apply to all college students. The athlete’s value is “you wanted me” so let’s find out how much you want me. Or, their value may be that they can create viral content that attracts eyeballs… there are no limits as to how value will be determined.
Yes, a recruit may well make more than a starter…the recruit made a better deal. You mad? Go make an even better deal if you can. The workplace is no different. Some are overpaid, others underpaid. The market will figure it out.

Allegedly Craft & a couple other big shots are stepping up and making our NIL offers competitive to recruits & portal guys

Reactions: The-Hack
There was no prospect of NIL when the JMI deal was agreed to. Although it seems to me that JMI cannot exactly prevent players from profiting off of NIL, it does not surprise me that they would try to do so.

Anyone know what it is our players aren’t allowed to do? I had been thinking things must be ok with our NIL if we were keeping our good players, closing in on a really good recruiting class, and about to land some good players through the portal.
Concerning your last sentence, UK is a great place to play football. being in the SEC conference the BEST, the location, having some good facilities (not NEARLY the best) since the TWO two win seasons FORCED it to happen, a head coach and assistants the players like AND who can get good coaches to join him, and more, but I think the biggest plus we have is our dumb fan base, that demanded more when the support was dismal for a full decade. Having 20,000 season ticket holders opt out AND losing their donations FORCED changes. And yes, i firmly believe that we would have had MORE money for the chase of the Director's Cup IF football had received the support the MONEY COW had EARNED. Penny wise and pound foolish. The OTHER ADs that supported football and made the millions available that we have now saved our butt.

Last edited:
I keep seeing people saying “that’s not what NIL was supposed to be…” or “not the purpose of NIL”…. Folks, NIL never had any intended purpose. NIL was born out of a repeal of rules forced upon college athletics. There wasn’t a plan. If there was any intent, that intent was to remove barriers from college athletes so they could earn money/benefits beyond their scholarships. Period. The same rules now apply to all college students. The athlete’s value is “you wanted me” so let’s find out how much you want me. Or, their value may be that they can create viral content that attracts eyeballs… there are no limits as to how value will be determined.
Yes, a recruit may well make more than a starter…the recruit made a better deal. You mad? Go make an even better deal if you can. The workplace is no different. Some are overpaid, others underpaid. The market will figure it out.
Unionize

Allegedly Craft & a couple other big shots are stepping up and making our NIL offers competitive to recruits & portal guys
I wonder if the $60,000,000 dollar BRIBE that our AD agreed to in order to get the NECESSARY funds for the CW improvements could have been better spent on improving our football facilities----after there were NO real improvements for footballs facilities for his first DECADE in office? Couldn't he have threatened to publish a list of those voting against the improvements to the many UK football fans, AND voters? Aren't they politicians, isn't the only thing they care about is the vote?

Nah, taking care of football wouldn't have been politically expedient, look at what happened to it in his first decade in office, and didn't he end up a hero to most of our dumb fans?

Yeah, money spent in recruiting is usually pay for play and not NIL. How many UK fans knew the names of our commitments before they committed or were being recruited? Most of this is not NIL. UK players who made a name for themselves on the field getting paid is NIL. If a high schooler has a big YouTube or TikTok following, they should be able to make money. But, tempting a kid to your school with a bag of cash is not NIL.
If a player makes a name for himself on the field then a career in the NFL or just profiting from his name after college can be pretty lucrative.

Bryce Young wears an Alabama jersey on his tv ads. I don’t know if their jerseys people demand a cut if his Dr Pepper and Nissan deals

I think Uk and JMI need to re visit the contract
To be fair, Alabama jersies are pretty generic in that they are just maroon with white numbers or white with maroon numbers. The only distinguishing thing to make them Alabama is the "A" patch in the recognizable script at the collar. Unless the contracts can prohibit the use of colors, I don't think the situations are exactly the same.

To be fair, Alabama jersies are pretty generic in that they are just maroon with white numbers or white with maroon numbers. The only distinguishing thing to make them Alabama is the "A" patch in the recognizable script at the collar. Unless the contracts can prohibit the use of colors, I don't think the situations are exactly the same.
Do what? So if UK were to make their jersey more plain...I don't think JMI would care a bit and expect ther same royalties.

• Love
Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Do what? So if UK were to make their jersey more plain...I don't think JMI would care a bit and expect ther same royalties.
The problem is the UK logo and our jersies say Kentucky. Alabama's don't. Unless JMI contracted to control the color blue, if the jersey didn't have UK or Kentucky on them, JMI couldn't prevent the players from wearing them in an ad.

The problem is the UK logo and our jersies say Kentucky. Alabama's don't. Unless JMI contracted to control the color blue, if the jersey didn't have UK or Kentucky on them, JMI couldn't prevent the players from wearing them in an ad.
He clearly wears a Bama jersey in the Nissan Heisman ad. It has a Bama logo along with all the other former Heisman winners. I doubt he'd be in teh commercial if he were wearing a plain red jersey with nothing Bama on it

images

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Bryce Young wears an Alabama jersey on his tv ads. I don’t know if their jerseys people demand a cut if his Dr Pepper and Nissan deals

Not sure if that’s the case but even if it is Dr Pepper and Nissan are large, multi-billion dollar companies. Paying $150K for the rights to use the logo is peanuts as they are spending 10s of millions on advertising.
The issue is the use of the copyrighted trademark. There’s a reason we have laws to protect copyrights and trademarks.
It’s no different than using music in ads or in stadiums, etc. My wife used to own a dance studio. She had to pay a licensing fee for the rights to play the music she used in her classes. Same with the competition jump rope team she coached that used music in some performances.

Reactions: The-Hack
He clearly wears a Bama jersey in the Nissan Heisman ad. It has a Bama logo along with all the other former Heisman winners. I doubt he'd be in teh commercial if he were wearing a plain red jersey with nothing Bama on it

images
Nissan/Dr. Pepper have the funds available to pay whatever licensing fees they need to use the logos. You still aren't comparing apples to apples. If our athletes were in commercials for large national companies, I bet they would pay to use the rights to our logo as well. The issue is the small local businesses who want to use Will Levis but can't afford to pay the astronomical licensing fees.

ASCAP and BMI are music licensing companies that provides business/organizations an affordable way to purchase a license to use music in their businesses. The license fee is based on the size of the business/use of product(music). Something like ASCAP is needed for the NIL world. I suspect at some point it will exist.

Nissan/Dr. Pepper have the funds available to pay whatever licensing fees they need to use the logos. You still aren't comparing apples to apples. If our athletes were in commercials for large national companies, I bet they would pay to use the rights to our logo as well. The issue is the small local businesses who want to use Will Levis but can't afford to pay the astronomical licensing fees.
Maybe Nissan paid a fee to use the Bama jersey...maybe they didn't. You nor I know what the plan is.
But UK has this deal with for our players for sure and it will inhibit some NIL uneil the deal with JMI is handled.

Maybe Nissan paid a fee to use the Bama jersey...maybe they didn't. You nor I know what the plan is.
But UK has this deal with for our players for sure and it will inhibit some NIL uneil the deal with JMI is handled.
You can guarantee that they paid a fee to use the logo. You can bet a large enough company would pay the fee to use the UK logo if they wanted an NIL deal with one of our athletes. You can guarantee the majority of the NIL deals for our athletes will be for smaller local companies that can't afford the licensing agreement. UK has no deal for our players. They have a deal with JMI for the coaches, the logos, meet and greets, radio shows, etc. This does not include our players as the JMI deal was signed long before NIL was a reality. UK is not allowed to have the deals with the players. It has to be from private businesses.

I am on your side that the deal with JMI is hindering NIL deals with the players. The problem is the argument you bring forward about Nissan and Alabama is simply misguided and ill informed and the wrong example to use to make your case.

Reactions: rqarnold
You can guarantee that they paid a fee to use the logo. You can bet a large enough company would pay the fee to use the UK logo if they wanted an NIL deal with one of our athletes. You can guarantee the majority of the NIL deals for our athletes will be for smaller local companies that can't afford the licensing agreement. UK has no deal for our players. They have a deal with JMI for the coaches, the logos, meet and greets, radio shows, etc. This does not include our players as the JMI deal was signed long before NIL was a reality. UK is not allowed to have the deals with the players. It has to be from private businesses.

I am on your side that the deal with JMI is hindering NIL deals with the players. The problem is the argument you bring forward about Nissan and Alabama is simply misguided and ill informed and the wrong example to use to make your case.
You nor I have any idea if Nissan had to pay a licensing fee for Bryce Young to were a Bama jersey on TV commercial. But we pretty much know for fact UK players have to pay fees. BradyJames said Levis to wear UK jersey in pictures/trading cards was askign for a $100k (or close) fee. That seems like a contract we need to revisits.

You nor I have any idea if Nissan had to pay a licensing fee for Bryce Young to were a Bama jersey on TV commercial. But we pretty much know for fact UK players have to pay fees. BradyJames said Levis to wear UK jersey in pictures/trading cards was askign for a $100k (or close) fee. That seems like a contract we need to revisits.
Yes we do know because licensing fees are standard in media contracts. Whether the licensing fee went to a company like JMI or went directly to the university, you can bet every dollar you have that a licensing fee was paid to someone. You can work on the assumption that Bama didn't but that is naive to the way those agreements work. Also again, UK players aren't paying the fees. The business pays the fees to get access to the logo for their advertising.

UK players wouldn’t pay a fee, the company using the logo would. It’s common business practice. How are yall so clueless about how things work, yet so mad at the same time. Anyone who wants to use a teams logo in an ad campaign will pay a licensing fee to use it. Nissan is a multi billion dollar company using it for a multi million dollar national ad campaign, of course they paid the fee. If Brady James wanted to use Bryce Young to sell autographs and gave him an NIL deal, he would have to pay Bama to use their logo too.

Will Anderson, Alabama All American linebacker has an NIL with an athletics wear company somehow without him being in a Bama jersey or using the Bama logo BECAUSE THE COMPANY DIDNT PAY THE LICENSING FEE THAT EVERY TEAM HAS!

Last edited:
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Wait, why did Mercedes Benz of Knoxville have Hendon Hooker in a plain orange T shirt instead of his Tennessee uniform? Oh that’s right, you have to pay for the use of their officially licensed gear too just like everyone else. Tennessee is holding back NIL.

OMG, Canes somehow figured out how to use Malik Cunningham in a Canes t shirt instead of a Louisville jersey. You mean to tell me UL is holding back NIL too?

LOL at the conclusions y’all jumped too because Brady James didn’t want to pay for something that has great value like everyone else has to using players from other programs. Weird that other people can figure it out and y’all are still lost in the weeds and promoting false narratives.

And? That only means Dr pepper paid the fee or had some other contractual right. It's industry standard. Not sure how many more times this needs stated.

@Verbal Kint II did a great job finding some examples. There are plenty from pro sports too.

OMG, Canes somehow figured out how to use Malik Cunningham in a Canes t shirt instead of a Louisville jersey.
But didn’t you see in all these Nil ads the clever backdrop use of University properties and athletic facilities, and the athlete’s mention of the University and team name?

Actually, you didn’t!

The Mercedes Ad artistically included the World’s Fair Ball, but all of these ads are carefully crafted to avoid stepping over certain lines.

OMG, Canes somehow figured out how to use Malik Cunningham in a Canes t shirt instead of a Louisville jersey. You mean to tell me UL is holding back NIL too?

LOL at the conclusions y’all jumped too because Brady James didn’t want to pay for something that has great value like everyone else has to using players from other programs. Weird that other people can figure it out and y’all are still lost in the weeds and promoting false narratives.
What kind of monster doesn’t substitute extra toast for the cole slaw?

Imagine being a Kentucky fan and promoting the lie that if you come to UK NIL be restricted. These KSR clowns are pathetic. Oh and we need to revisit our $210 million deal that paid for many facility upgrades because we have the same marketing fees that most other schools have. Someone get these ignorant clowns out of here.

Isn't the "A" on Bama jerseys their logo?

Reactions: K_TIME
Imagine being a Kentucky fan and promoting the lie that if you come to UK NIL be restricted. These KSR clowns are pathetic. Oh and we need to revisit our $210 million deal that paid for many facility upgrades because we have the same marketing fees that most other schools have. Someone get these ignorant clowns out of here.
No, you're pathetic. You can't get your head out of Mitchs butt long enough to see there are new ways to do things and like it or not, JMI is a problem. JMI isnt the only game in town.

The world has changed. UK is a small market school in a poor state with few mega-wealthy boosters. We need the flexibility to do whatever we can to compete in NIL.

There was no prospect of NIL when the JMI deal was agreed to. Although it seems to me that JMI cannot exactly prevent players from profiting off of NIL, it does not surprise me that they would try to do so.

Anyone know what it is our players aren’t allowed to do? I had been thinking things must be ok with our NIL if we were keeping our good players, closing in on a really good recruiting class, and about to land some good players through the portal.
Except for JMI doesn’t try to prevent players from profiting off of NIL. It’s a dumb lie made up by ignorant KSR sheep. Why on earth would JMI even care, that’s not how they make money. These clowns can’t even make their lies make sense.

They will never tell you what players are not allowed to do because they are lying.

No, you're pathetic. You can't get your head out of Mitchs butt long enough to see there are new ways to do things and like it or not, JMI is a problem. JMI isnt the only game in town.

The world has changed. UK is a small market school in a poor state with few mega-wealthy boosters. We need the flexibility to do whatever we can to compete in NIL.
Nah, lying clowns who make up stuff are the problem. You’ve been busted lying several times to forward your BS narrative. Remember when you lied and said you can’t give to a collective that UK hasn’t approved, LOL at how dumb that is. You can give to any collective you want, how on earth would UK even know? Make your lies make sense.

These liars make vague statements like JMI is a problem. We need flexibility, LOL what does that even mean? He will never say specifically how JMI is a problem because he’s a fraud. That’s what they do, make vague accusations with nothing to back it up because they can’t back up their lies.

JMI is a problem, JMI isn’t the only game in town, we need the flexibility to do whatever we can to compete. LOL at the word salads they use to promote their false narrative. What does any of that mean? Not one single specific, just a bunch of vague nonsense.

Nah, lying clowns who make up stuff are the problem. You’ve been busted lying several times to forward your BS narrative. Remember when you lied and said you can’t give to a collective that UK hasn’t approved, LOL at how dumb that is. You can give to any collective you want, how on earth would UK even know? Make your lies make sense.

These liars make vague statements like JMI is a problem. We need flexibility, LOL what does that even mean? He will never say specifically how JMI is a problem because he’s a fraud. That’s what they do, make vague accusations with nothing to back it up because they can’t back up their lies.
You're full of shit. I proved you wrong on this again yesterday, want me to do so again? You're one of the biggest most arrogant liars on this board.

JMI is a problem, JMI isn’t the only game in town, we need the flexibility to do whatever we can to compete. LOL at the word salads they use to promote their false narrative. What does any of that mean? Not one single specific, just a bunch of vague nonsense.
If you only had a brain scarecrow.

Reactions: catben
Except for JMI doesn’t try to prevent players from profiting off of NIL. It’s a dumb lie made up by ignorant KSR sheep. Why on earth would JMI even care, that’s not how they make money. These clowns can’t even make their lies make sense.

They will never tell you what players are not allowed to do because they are lying.
I agree, JMI doesn't try to prevent players from profiting off of NIL. That isn't the issue. Making it easier and actually affordable to use UK's NIL would simply allow for more opportunities. Demanding 125K for the relatively limited use Brady wanted to try is a good example. How about a simple per unit fee that is low enough that the project could work. Why would you even think that is a bad thing?

Reactions: catben
I agree, JMI doesn't try to prevent players from profiting off of NIL. That isn't the issue. Making it easier and actually affordable to use UK's NIL would simply allow for more opportunities. Demanding 125K for the relatively limited use Brady wanted to try is a good example. How about a simple per unit fee that is low enough that the project could work. Why would you even think that is a bad thing?
Demanding market value for something they paid major money for is a problem? Brady wanted to profit for free off of something they paid hundreds of millions of dollars for. Everyone else seems to make it work without the use of a logo but it’s a problem because he couldn’t figure it out. The UK logo has great value, they paid a great price for it, Brady wanted welfare. There are like 5 to 6 examples above, Alabama LB Will Anderson, Texas RB Bijan Robinson, Tennessee QB Henson Hooker, Louisville QB Malik they somehow made it work without a team logo. Simpletons who don’t know basic business practices spewing nonsense and promoting a narrative that hurts UK.

Demanding market value for something they paid major money for is a problem? Brady wanted to profit for free off of something they paid hundreds of millions of dollars for. Everyone else seems to make it work without the use of a logo but it’s a problem because he couldn’t figure it out. The UK logo has great value, they paid a great price for it, Brady wanted welfare. There are like 5 to 6 examples above, Alabama LB Will Anderson, Texas RB Bijan Robinson, Tennessee QB Henson Hooker, Louisville QB Malik they somehow made it work without a team logo. Simpletons who don’t know basic business practices spewing nonsense and promoting a narrative that hurts UK.
Ok, so what is "market value"?

Will Anderson, Alabama All American linebacker has an NIL with an athletics wear company somehow without him being in a Bama jersey or using the Bama logo BECAUSE THE COMPANY DIDNT PAY THE LICENSING FEE THAT EVERY TEAM HAS!

Everyone else can figure it out except for UK fans who want to promote a narrative that UK doesn’t support NIL. Alabama player, no logo, no mention of Bama and it’s not a problem doing an NIL deal. Texas player, no logo no mention of Texas and it’s not a problem doing an NIL deal. Tennessee player, no logo, no mention of UT, not a problem doing an NIL deal. Louisville player, no logo, no mention of UL, doing a NIL deal not a problem. Brady James can’t use the logo and can’t figure out how to put Will Levis in a blue tshirt, promotes the narrative that UK makes NIL difficult. Only Kentucky fans scream to the world that our program doesn’t support NIL. Imagine negative recruiting against your own program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT