ADVERTISEMENT

After day and a half here’s where I’m at…

jrpross

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
When the news broke about Pope, I was about an inch away from the ledge. I felt like I was ready to step away. I was so furious I could see straight. Now that I’ve had some time to reflect, I gotta say, there are some aspects of the hire that I don’t hate. But there are also some feelings that are the same.

First of all, I bear absolutely no ill will towards Mark. He took what is probably his dream job and you can’t fault the guy for that. He will be Kentucky first and he truly understands the fans as opposed to Cal. His style of play does look like a lot of fun and I’m really glad the boosters are stepping up to provide NIL support. He should be given EVERY opportunity to succeed and that’s a huge part of it. I also think he’s an incredibly intelligent guy and he may just figure this out.

That said, I still feel it was the wrong hire. It’s a gargantuan risk that didn’t need to be taken when a week could have very well landed Billy Donovan. And even then, other proven coaches were available that should have been called first. I still fathom what Mitch was thinking and I feel like this hire was a betrayal to the fans. Even if Mark kills it, I STILL do not agree with the hire. It could end great, terrible or somewhere in between. Even if it turns out well, Mitch shouldn’t be praised for winning at roulette. I now believe that he is worse at his job than Cal was at his.

However, and most importantly, my support for this team is unwavering. I will be cheering my head off for Pope and whoever he puts on the floor. If he shows he can put a contender out there, I’m with him for the long-haul. If three years go by and it’s been terrible, you’ve got to cut him loose. If it’s somewhere in between; top 20ish teams, sweet 16, but not really a threat; give him the length of his contract and move on if it doesn’t get better. But here in 2024, he needs our support. He deserves to feel the love from the fans so by God, let’s give it to him.

I may not be Catholic. But I’m behind this Pope. Let’s roll.

I didn’t like the hire intially, I thought Mitch rushed it when pope would have said yes any time of the year. I’m still a little upset he didn’t atleast try with donavon, pearl or somebody a little more qualified. But pope is one of us, he knows Kentucky, he is Kentucky, and I’m fully on board with the hire now. Pope wants to be here and with the support he is getting has chance to build a good squad. I’m on the pope mobile, and think he does good here.

If you had come at Oats, Donovan, and even Vogel with even 80% of the warchest you went at Hurley with, you land one of those guys, and all of them are a better hire than Pope.

Pope's staff is going to be enormously important to all of this. He needs to get innovative from day one to make it happen here.

I'm still not excited about the hire. Just feels like a Matt Doherty move to me. I'm willing to give Pope a chance, but he has a shelf life here of probably three years before he needs to win big.

I think the idea everyone has been pushing that we need a rockstar at the Kentucky job is just wrong. Cal was a rock star, but part of that is you get the huge Ego with it. The family vibe we have already started to get from the Pope hire is what really makes us different. We were never the "cool" school until Cal and that is totally OK, get guys who want to be here and fit the system we run (We will actually recruit to a system now not just the top NBA prospects and try to shove them together and make it work).

Pope appears to have a great offensive mind and he has the ability to adjust his system to the talent available. In one of the videos linked on here the person was talking about watching his coaching since he was at UT valley and how he had emphasized the 3 now because he had so many good 3 point shooters. That ability to adjust has been sorely lacking at UK for the past several years.

I am looking forward to watching games live again. Haven't done that regularly since the 2017 team.

This is a monumentally stupid hire but best I can do is hope it works.

There is no way all of the guys in front of Pope said no within 2-3 days. Every insider on this site and others (like Trilly Donovan) said Billy D had legit interest in the job.

It was rushed hire. Period.

I have no will towards Mark Pope at all. Mitch Barnhart, on the other hand, is a disease to UK basketball imo.

There is no way all of the guys in front of Pope said no within 2-3 days. Every insider on this site and others (like Trilly Donovan) said Billy D had legit interest in the job.

I have no will towards Mark Pope at all. Mitch Barnhart, on the other hand, is a disease to UK basketball imo.
At least if this fails Mitch will be gone and not making the next hiire.

These are my feelings as well.

Can't change it now so I'll hope for the best but I'm not going to gaslight myself into pretending it's an awesome hire as of now. Maybe Pope does what he's never done anywhere else and magically recruit and win. We'll know very shortly if he can recruit.

This hire means Mitch had Pope as a top three candidate because like you, we know he didn't go through all of the qualified coaches who would've said yes. The notion that only Pope would say yes is absolutely false.

That said, I'll cheer for him to do well.

Last edited:
At least if this fails Mitch will be gone and not making the next hiire.
Yeah and by that point we'll be 12-15 years without a Final Four and you just hope the job has the same appeal it did before the hire. This is a massive gamble on the future of this program.

Reactions: RunninRichie
This are my feelings as well.

Can't change it now so I'll hope for the best but I'm not going to gaslight myself into pretending it's an awesome hire as of now. Maybe Pope does what he's never done anywhere else and magically recruit and win. We'll know very shortly if he can recruit.

This hire means Mitch had Pope as a top three candidate because like you, we know he didn't go through all of the qualified coaches who would've said yes. The notion that only Pope would say yes is absolutely false.

Yeah watching people delude themselves into thinking this was actually some masterstroke of brilliance by Barnhart has been pretty interesting. I don't see Pope lasting more than 5 years. This honeymoon period will end pretty soon.

If you had come at Oats, Donovan, and even Vogel with even 80% of the warchest you went at Hurley with, you land one of those guys, and all of them are a better hire than Pope.

Pope's staff is going to be enormously important to all of this. He needs to get innovative from day one to make it happen here.

I'm still not excited about the hire. Just feels like a Matt Doherty move to me. I'm willing to give Pope a chance, but he has a shelf life here of probably three years before he needs to win big.
There was reports that Vogel was interviewed

This are my feelings as well.

I just hope this isn’t a situation where we look back. An go “Man, we could’ve had Donovan had we waited”. UK basketball has been awful for 5 years now. We can’t let that slide into 6-7-8 years.

Yeah watching people delude themselves into thinking this was actually some masterstroke of brilliance by Barnhart has been pretty interesting. I don't see Pope lasting more than 5 years. This honeymoon period will end pretty soon.
Be careful.I was just told by someone here not to even have an opinion on who he hires because he hasn't coached a game yet.

Reactions: HeismaNole
Pitino said Donovan wasn't interested. So that's what I'm going with.
I heard that during the Cutler interview. I know Rick isn't known for his honesty but the way he dismissed Billy to UK was so nonchalant I actually believed him. That makes me more comfortable with the Pope hire. Once you got off the top 3 of the list there wasn't a lot of difference between Pope and let's say Shaka Smart or someone like that.

I just hope this isn’t a situation where we look back. An go “Man, we could’ve had Donovan had we waited”. UK basketball has been awful for 5 years now. We can’t let that slide into 6-7-8 years.
I feel very confident that's what's going to happen. Also, I can't help but think that the bombshell lawsuit filed against Barnhart and UK Friday didn't influence their desire to get someone hired Thursday night. It just seems too obvious.

This program is teetering on the edge in my opinion. I fully hope Mark Pope is the guy who can stabilize it.

I think you’ve deluded yourself into believing you have insight with the Kentucky basketball coaching hire.

I don’t understand the clamoring for Donovan. Guy doesn’t want to be in college. It’s like we’re bound and determined to be spurned by him three times.

At this point, I can’t change the hire and I’m going to support it.

I watched a couple BYU games last night and also threw on the 96 FF game against UMASS for a nice nostalgia buzz.

Reactions: G-PIP
Only one coach can be hired so obviously the choice is not going to please everyone. Frankly none of the potential candidates excited me with the possible exception of BD. I found the thought of hiring Hurley cringe worthy.

But now that Pope is the man, I must say I'm pumped just watching the excitement flow back into the program. I'm ready to give him a fair shot and a decent leash, and try not to get out the poison pen after a couple of losses.

Reactions: G-PIP

Yep SOS , same thinking here , we might have went harder after Oats even though their AD makes a statement we didn’t go directly to NO and lay 80-100 mil at his feet . He was the guy I wanted but I’m happy - excited for Pope , needless to say I’m behind him 100% , but the risk factor is waaaay higher than hiring a guy who just went to a FF .

Pope has about a week to build a roster for next year.
If we'd waited on Donovan we'd have wound up giving up a season to play mainly walkons and by the end
of that 2-28 year nobody would be happy about waiting on Donovan.

Be careful.I was just told by someone here not to even have an opinion on who he hires because he hasn't coached a game yet.
These people are never consistent in their logic. The same fans mock other schools for doing it yet have now convinced themselves that a guy with no tournament wins or recruiting success was the right guy for the job. "hE bEaT kAnSaS."

Ultimately what made us want Cal gone AND RIGHTFULLY SO, was his lack of success in the SEC and NCAA Tournaments (sick of the one and done and crap coaching aside). We just hired a guy who has yet to show he can win any conference tournament or ever win an NCAA Tournament game. Pope has never even been an assistant on a good team. It's not like UNC and Duke's coaches or even Joe B. Hall with Rupp. They were on a bench that won.

As an assistant
2009-2010 Georgia: 14-17 record
2010-2011 Wake Forest: 8-24 record

Pope wasn't even on the bench with Jimmer Fredette was there when BYU was good in 2011.

Head coach
two winning seasons at Utah Valley, three CBI appearances
BYU: 39-21 in the WCC, 110-52 overall record, no conference tournament championships, two NCAA tourney appearances, zero wins

If this guy did not play at Kentucky 30 years ago, there's no way this resume gets considered for this job. It wasn't for any prior coach.

These people are never consistent in their logic. The same fans mock other schools for doing it yet have now convinced themselves that a guy with no tournament wins or recruiting success was the right guy for the job. "hE bEaT kAnSaS."

Ultimately what made us want Cal gone AND RIGHTFULLY SO, was his lack of success in the SEC and NCAA Tournaments (sick of the one and done and crap coaching aside). We just hired a guy who has yet to show he can win any conference tournament or ever win an NCAA Tournament game. Pope has never even been an assistant on a good team. It's not like UNC and Duke's coaches or even Joe B. Hall with Rupp. They were on a bench that won.

As an assistant
2009-2010 Georgia: 14-17 record
2010-2011 Wake Forest: 8-24 record

Head coach
two winning seasons at Utah Valley, three CBI appearances
BYU: 39-21 in the WCC, 110-52 overall record, no conference tournament championships, two NCAA tourney appearances, zero wins

If this guy did not play at Kentucky 30 years ago, there's no way this resume gets considered for this job. It wasn't for any prior coach.
Everyone (including me) is just coping that this is a good hire. Because if it’s not, we could be hurting for years to come.

Reactions: jrpross
I understand people being happy because he's a great guy and loves UK with all his heart and soul.But I just wonder if he has proven enough to be given the keys.We don't know if he can recruit and he has never won a tourney game.I guess I just wish he could have coached a few more seasons to get a better grasp at what he could do.

Everyone (including me) is just coping that this is a good hire. Because if it’s not, we could be hurting for years to come.
Yeah this is a hope and pray situation. Year two is where we'll see which direction this is headed cause I'm not going to give the guy grief about next year. I wouldn't judge any coach we hired for the results that are coming next year.

I enjoy nostalgia and hope it's great. We all want it to work out. It's just for some of us, we're going to have to actually see him prove he can do it before convincing ourselves this is a good thing.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Won’t lie, im still stunned. I hope and pray Mark Pope succeeds like we couldn’t have ever imagined. He is one of us.

However, im far from supporting this decision. This is a hire based purely on hope.

There is absolutely nothing factual to back up the belief he’s going to not only win but win big here.

People may believe it and that is great if you do! I’m just not sold. Maybe I’ll come around in a week or month or three months down the road. Just one of those things I can’t help how I feel and am still confused on how this decision came about.

I’m also not hearing much about plans on final fours or hanging banners yet but maybe it’ll come when Pope gets here in front of the media.

Like someone else said, we’ve already been down for about four years. This man won’t be given five years. The pressure will be on right away.

And on top of all that, I honestly believe Barnhart wanted a man who he felt superior to. He wants a coach who’s gonna depend on him constantly.

Reactions: HeismaNole
There is the possibility that this board doesn’t know what is needed for UK basketball as much as the administration does.

Let’s let this play out and enjoy the ride. I think it will be fun.
I can't remotely imagine that anyone here would be void of understanding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT