ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Will Win Big Next Year at Ark

So he is losing the 4 best players and 2 other significant players from a team that lost 10 games and was put out by Oakland and you think he will win big? If he wasn't capable of winning big with the best players I don't see how moving to Fayetteville will suddenly make him an amazing coach?

While I agree, I suppose an argument could be that he'll be re-energized and with something to prove. All he has to do is coach some D and he'd improve a lot. Not sure if he will, though. It could be that Arky fans are in for their own big shock when they realize they've been swindled.

So he is losing the 4 best players and 2 other significant players from a team that lost 10 games and was put out by Oakland and you think he will win big? If he wasn't capable of winning big with the best players I don't see how moving to Fayetteville will suddenly make him an amazing coach?

I’m guessing Cal will have a very good year next year at Ark for a couple reasons.

1) The change of school is forcing him to get more seasoned players. Z just committed and Wagner will be spaced out a few days behind him. (I’m guessing Z already had chicken NIL $ in his account.)

2) I don’t think he’ll get all his freshmen, forcing him to hit the portal for players who will fill safer coming to Ark knowing top freshmen aren’t getting the spotlight.

3) He’ll do everything in his power to get DJ & Z into the league. They can’t return another year and jam up key starting spots.

Cal had to keep Darius Miller when he got to UK, and it was key to him winning in ‘12. (Along with NBA strike!)

Cal’s best year at Ark will be next year, then it will be back to a revolving door of freshmen who win the preseason hype.

I appreciate what Cal did for UK. He was perfect following the BCG debacle and the Tubby decline.

However, I am happy to see what the next few years look like at UK. We will not have the most players in McD AA game, NBA AS game, or NBA draft night. I do think we have a chance for a special NCAA run, not because of Pope’s tourn experience. But, I do think MP will construct a title contending roster by year 2 or 3!

Cal may win big next year. But, I drank the UK cool aid regarding the future of our basketball program!!!

All of that is true, but still doesn’t account for the fact he can’t “coach” his way out of a paper bag and will likely make the same crucial mistakes he made here - ignoring analytics, strange lineup combinations, outdated defense and offensive tendencies, and his patented “Go!” offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT