ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Lil Bro is expanding FB stadium

What again is UL's profit from the Yum and boxes? I did not see that.
If I'm reading the financial report correctly, I think UofL basketball revenue went up about $4.7M their first year in YUM! from the previous year (Freedom Hall) About $2.7M of that was directly from having 3000 more seats to sell. They also had about 40 more suites to lease at YUM!. If all of those suites were leased at $75K each that would have generated another $2.6M or so. I know that is a $600K difference or so. ???

For WC...If you think this isn't true about Otis's "ownership" of the Yum, then why can't an nba franchise be brought to Louisville...because Otis "owns" the Yum and has "complete" control over it and will sometime if the future probably be given the chance to buy it for pennies on the dollar...
The first (and absolutely largest) impediment to bringing an NBA franchise to Louisville is finding a team that REALLY wants to move into the Louisville market. IF there was a team REALLY serious about moving to Louisville then there would talk of renegotiating UofL's lease to accommodate them. Naturally, UofL would be resistant to that action. But, if push came to shove, the Arena Authority could simply renege on the lease and say "see ya in court". And if such a suit was "won" by the Arena Authority the "victory" would likely come with HUGE damages payable to UofL. At such hypothetical point, UofL could consider the ugly option to move back into Freedom Hall. Could the Arena make it on just the NBA alone? And remember, most of these pro franchise that moves are looking for HUGE concessions from the city, not just a nice play to play.

And, yes, there is a contingency provision that UofL could purchase the arena IF the Arena Authority decided to declare bankruptcy and liquidate the facility. I believe UofL has the first right of refusal to purchase should that extremely unlikely situation come to pass.

Peace

Last edited:
If I'm reading the financial report correctly, I think UofL basketball revenue went up about $4.7M their first year in YUM! from the previous year (Freedom Hall) About $2.7M of that was directly from having 3000 more seats to sell. They also had about 40 more suites to lease at YUM!. If all of those suites were leased at $75K each that would have generated another $2.6M or so. I know that is a $600 difference or so. ???

The first (and absolutely largest) impediment to bringing an NBA franchise to Louisville is finding a team that REALLY wants to move into the Louisville market. IF there was a team REALLY serious about moving to Louisville then there would talk of renegotiating UofL's lease to accommodate them. Naturally, UofL would be resistant to that action. But, if push came to shove, the Arena Authority could simply renege on the lease and say "see ya in court". And if such a suit was "won" by the Arena Authority the "victory" would likely come with HUGE damages payable to UofL. At such hypothetical point, UofL could consider the ugly option to move back into Freedom Hall. Could the Arena make it on just the NBA alone? And remember, most of these pro franchise that moves are looking for HUGE concessions from the city, not just a nice play to play.

And, yes, there is a contingency provision that UofL could purchase the arena IF the Arena Authority decided to declare bankruptcy and liquidate the facility. I believe UofL has the first right of refusal to purchase should that extremely unlikely situation come to pass.

Peace
This is BS and you know it??...Otis "controls" and basically owns the Yum and no nba team is going to stand for that or I honestly believe the it would already be in the works...

Why don't you go hide in your closet or something?..

Really?

If you can't see how well Jurich has done with UL you are just letting blind fandom cloud your vision.

Major sports there have a great record.

Bball with a HOF coach and outstanding arena.

Baseball going to the world series 3 times.

Football 14 out of 17 years in a bowl gamer, beat Florida in Sugar Bowl

Women's Bball final fours

Soccer National Runner ups

Since 2000 Louisville is the only NCAA team to win a BCS bowl game; to appear in the Men's basketball Final Four Finals, the College Baseball World Series, and the women's basketball Final Four; and to finish as runner-up in the Men's soccer College Cup. It is one of only six schools that has appeared more than once in each of the following events—a BCS bowl game, the men's and women's basketball Final Fours, and the College World Series—and Louisville's span of seven school years (2006–07 to 2012–13) is the shortest among these schools.[2] Also, it is the first school ever to win a BCS bowl game, appear in the men's and women's basketball Final Fours, and appear in the College World Series in the same school year, doing so in 2012–13.[2]

The guy owns the media.

He also takes chances with coaches and players and gets bit on that sometimes.

Last edited:
^^ No need to copy and paste Wikipedia in here...I know UL has good programs, but I don't act like they are untouchable...hell, just a year or 2 ago UK was like 15-3 vs UL head to head in the fall/spring session...UL had a football win and possibly something like hockey/lacrosse...

No need to fear Jurich...he is very good at his job, but still human...Kragthorpe, got burned by Petrino then went back to him, Pitino has had his struggles on and off the court at UL etc., field hockey scandal IIRC.

As sport records go Tommy Turtleneck UofL record is impressive! Cards bloggers on this site are very satisfied. Well maybe not with Lil Ricky record versus Coach Cal! Know some Card supporters that are not happy with their UofL president, Tommy T., Petrino, and particularly Rick Pitino! Their concern, are lack of class!
Would not want any of above mentioned men at UK, but would like to have their baseball coach at helm of my WILDCAT baseball team!

^^ No need to copy and paste Wikipedia in here...I know UL has good programs, but I don't act like they are untouchable...hell, just a year or 2 ago UK was like 15-3 vs UL head to head in the fall/spring session...UL had a football win and possibly something like hockey/lacrosse...

No need to fear Jurich...he is very good at his job, but still human...Kragthorpe, got burned by Petrino then went back to him, Pitino has had his struggles on and off the court at UL etc., field hockey scandal IIRC.

First, thanks for letting me know what I can post on a UK message board...

Second, some folks and possibly you were definitely refusing to recognize TJ's achievements.

He has probably had more success than any other AD in the last 10 years.

Who said they were untouchable?

Who in the hell is scared of anything regarding UL?

Only our fans that deny their success seem to have a complex.

Reactions: Steelers2012
First, thanks for letting me know what I can post on a UK message board...

Second, some folks and possibly you were definitely refusing to recognize TJ's achievements.

He has probably had more success than any other AD in the last 10 years.

Who said they were untouchable?

Who in the hell is scared of anything regarding UL?

Only our fans that deny their success seem to have a complex.

I never refuse to acknowledge UL or their accomplishments...I think fans who use Loserville or Louisville doesn't exist etc etc are ridiculous.

I also think some of the success was due to weak conference affiliation in certain sports...the ACC is a great conference though, so now I cant use that for future achievements. UK has ebbed and flowed with UL in football during Jurichs time, but I can give UL the edge...baseball the same deal...basketball goes to UK in both IMO, because UK has owned the head to head matchups - and as far as the women go, UL has been knocked out by the same teams as UK, just see them a round later usually. Softball to UK as well.

I don't see many bowing to Barnhart, so either they believe UL is a much lower level and harder place to succeed at than UK (I don't see them that way) or they just feel like elevating Jurich because the media says so.

He has done great. Best AD in last 10 years? hardly, IMO.

I never refuse to acknowledge UL or their accomplishments...I think fans who use Loserville or Louisville doesn't exist etc etc are ridiculous.

I also think some of the success was due to weak conference affiliation in certain sports...the ACC is a great conference though, so now I cant use that for future achievements. UK has ebbed and flowed with UL in football during Jurichs time, but I can give UL the edge...baseball the same deal...basketball goes to UK in both IMO, because UK has owned the head to head matchups - and as far as the women go, UL has been knocked out by the same teams as UK, just see them a round later usually. Softball to UK as well.

I don't see many bowing to Barnhart, so either they believe UL is a much lower level and harder place to succeed at than UK (I don't see them that way) or they just feel like elevating Jurich because the media says so.

I agree with all of that.

Curious, who do you think has had a better run than TJ though?

Discounting off the field/court issues such as coaches with no integrity, rape cases, drug suspensions, violent offenders, delirious fan base and more. Going by wins and accomplishments in the major sports, I can't think of a more decorated AD than him.

Good post but the one thing I have to say is about Conference affiliation. True they were in a weaker conference but there are a lot more disadvantages that go with that advantages. Less revenue, less respect in the media etc. The fact is UL has risen pretty quickly to the top of whatever conference they have been in.

I agree with all of that.

Curious, who do you think has had a better run than TJ though?

Discounting off the field/court issues such as coaches with no integrity, rape cases, drug suspensions, violent offenders, delirious fan base and more. Going by wins and accomplishments in the major sports, I can't think of a more decorated AD than him.

Well obviously this is opinion based...but in the last 10 years, Florida has 2 football titles (2006,2008), hoops (2006,2007), softball (2014)...Alabama has 3 football titles + softball...UConn has a great stretch of mens and womens bball championships (they get knocked for the other major sports)

UL is well rounded, no doubt...not sure what the Capital One cup includes, but UK is ranked 13th on the mens side, and UL isn't ranked on either this year. hey did finish top 10 in 2013 though.

Good post but the one thing I have to say is about Conference affiliation. True they were in a weaker conference but there are a lot more disadvantages that go with that advantages. Less revenue, less respect in the media etc. The fact is UL has risen pretty quickly to the top of whatever conference they have been in.

I think the weaker conferences helped them win in bulk...you can sell wins to recruits...then, when they got their opportunities, they took advantage of the big time games and won. Cant discredit that at all. In the AAC, Conf USA and Big East(some sports), UL could lay some stinkers and still win...that wont happen often in the ACC.

Reactions: brianpoe
I think the weaker conferences helped them win in bulk...you can sell wins to recruits...then, when they got their opportunities, they took advantage of the big time games and won. Cant discredit that at all. In the AAC, Conf USA and Big East(some sports), UL could lay some stinkers and still win...that wont happen often in the ACC.

Agree with your post.
I will add I don't think a lot of our fans are dealing in reality on this one. What Jim Ramsey and Tom Jurich realized was that UL had a vast untapped potential. Louisville is one of the largest cities in the USA which does not have major league baseball, football or basketball. Yet they have a fairly good base of corporations looking to entertain and wonderful community minded rich folks like the Tragers, Jim Patterson, the Brown Forman families and others. While they were supposed to have "an Urban Mission" according to at least one legislature that is long since past. They are now a destination university rather than a street car college.

Does no good to put them down. They have accomplished an incredible amount and unfortunately really are our equal in many areas. The odd thing is that they used athletics to enhance academics. Normally it is the other way around.

Overall this probably does us good. While we now have to divide the in state talent both academically and in athletics the fact that we do have competition in state has to make our leadership work harder. Competition always makes both parties better. Our question should be are we tapping all of the sources of support that we should be as the original Land Grant College and The State University. UL has advantages that we will never have and we have advantages they will never have.

I go back to the master Coach Wooden . When speaking in Louisville he said (paraphrasing) "Everybody is always telling their team to be better than the other team. I don't do that . I simply try to be the best that we can be utilizing the talents that we have. That is how my teams reached their full potential."

Agree with your post.
I will add I don't think a lot of our fans are dealing in reality on this one. What Jim Ramsey and Tom Jurich realized was that UL had a vast untapped potential. Louisville is one of the largest cities in the USA which does not have major league baseball, football or basketball. Yet they have a fairly good base of corporations looking to entertain and wonderful community minded rich folks like the Tragers, Jim Patterson, the Brown Forman families and others. While they were supposed to have "an Urban Mission" according to at least one legislature that is long since past. They are now a destination university rather than a street car college.

Does no good to put them down. They have accomplished an incredible amount and unfortunately really are our equal in many areas. The odd thing is that they used athletics to enhance academics. Normally it is the other way around.

Overall this probably does us good. While we now have to divide the in state talent both academically and in athletics the fact that we do have competition in state has to make our leadership work harder. Competition always makes both parties better. Our question should be are we tapping all of the sources of support that we should be as the original Land Grant College and The State University. UL has advantages that we will never have and we have advantages they will never have.

I go back to the master Coach Wooden . When speaking in Louisville he said (paraphrasing) "Everybody is always telling their team to be better than the other team. I don't do that . I simply try to be the best that we can be utilizing the talents that we have. That is how my teams reached their full potential."

I also live in Louisville.....I will stop putting them down when their fans stop putting UK down every chance they get. Am I lowering myself to their level? Maybe, but I don't care. It does me lots of good!

I also live in Louisville.....I will stop putting them down when their fans stop putting UK down every chance they get. Am I lowering myself to their level? Maybe, but I don't care. It does me lots of good!

A lot of the discrediting of UL by UK fans occurs because UL fans elevate their status way too high...they have their heads in the clouds and UK fans have to be very extreme on the other side to even talk to the people.

Agree with ya.

Agree with your post.

How much do you think UK finally getting serious about football after all these years has to do with them seeing what UL is doing down the road?

Well obviously this is opinion based...but in the last 10 years, Florida has 2 football titles (2006,2008), hoops (2006,2007), softball (2014)...Alabama has 3 football titles + softball...UConn has a great stretch of mens and womens bball championships (they get knocked for the other major sports)

UL is well rounded, no doubt...not sure what the Capital One cup includes, but UK is ranked 13th on the mens side, and UL isn't ranked on either this year. hey did finish top 10 in 2013 though.
Its not just titles. AD's are CEO's now. Look at the increase in revenues and the new facilities popping up at UL. You would be hard pressed to find another Athletic Department than can match it over the last 15 years.

How much do you think UK finally getting serious about football after all these years has to do with them seeing what UL is doing down the road?
I think quite a bit. Probably two pronged. First , the last Joker year was a financial disaster losing about one third of season ticket holders. You add up the Joker years and it was about a forty million dollar mistake.

Couple that with the fact UL has come from being a mid major Conf USA type school which actually talked about doing away with football about twenty plus years ago to a few years of national prominence and entry into a P5 conference. Both of those cold hard facts put pressure on our AD to quit milking the cash cow while leaving her starving. It showed the importance of sports to keeping Alums involved in GIVING BACK to the school. So I say it was both.

I would think quite a lot honestly, with Social Media and places like here fans can get their feelings out instantly now.

If your going to have a program then build the dam thing.

There is no more loyal fan base then UK fans!

Reactions: teamcanada
Its not just titles. AD's are CEO's now. Look at the increase in revenues and the new facilities popping up at UL. You would be hard pressed to find another Athletic Department than can match it over the last 15 years.
Tons of places are and have improved facilities over that 15 year time period. Hell, UK has the Joe Kraft Center, new Rupp locker rooms, new softball, new track and field facility, football stadium upgrade and new football practice facility under construction.

Hard to back up a statement like you made. Obviously UL is doing very good in that regard, but pretty difficult to say nobody can match them the last 15 yrs.

Tons of places are and have improved facilities over that 15 year time period. Hell, UK has the Joe Kraft Center, new Rupp locker rooms, new softball, new track and field facility, football stadium upgrade and new football practice facility under construction.

Hard to back up a statement like you made. Obviously UL is doing very good in that regard, but pretty difficult to say nobody can match them the last 15 yrs.
Yes I bet Alabama, Auburn,LSU, Texas A & M, Ohio State,TCU,Okla State and Texas just to name a few would really be out of their and our league in facility construction and toys.. LSU has its own airplane for gosh sakes. I haven't checked the facts but would be astounded if my comments here are proven wrong. Not putting UL down at all. They have probably come further than most anyone else. I have a business associate who is wired in with the Texas program. A couple of years ago the AD told my friend "I have run out of reasonable ways to spend our money."

Ramsey was the best finance guy in State government for years. Jurich is a world class promoter and fundraiser. As One reporter assessing MB and TJ in a meeting I attended a couple of years ago said." Jurich drinks . Barnhart is a devote Christian and doesn't. I would never advise anyone to start drinking. However , it probably is an advantage in the smooze and fundraising business."

Reactions: CatsFanGG24

Not saying other places haven't improved. You have to look at the whole area around campus 15 years ago, blighted run-down etc. Now look at the corridor along 65, its a night and day difference. Jurich has upgraded every facility over the last 15 years and its usually a big time booster footing the bill.. Uk upgraded their football facility by taking away seats UL is adding to their stadium., the other things you mention Jurich did 5 to 10 years ago.

Outside of the Craft Center, every other project you mentioned was built after Louisville built their facilities. Now Louisville is continuing to update and expand with a state of the art Soccer stadium and Softball expansion last summer, academic center and enlarged training facility at the football complex and news coming soon on the expansion of the football stadium yet again. I wouldn't say it's to keep up with any particular program rather investing to be a player in your perspective P5 conference.

Reactions: Mayoman
See, this is why UK fans have a problem with UL fans...anything you can do I can do better.

First they give Jurich credit for getting certain updates before UK 5-10 years ago...basically saying UK doesn't get credit because they are updating now, and too late.

In the next sentence they give Jurich credit for the updates happening now.

Can't have it both ways. You can't take away from UK updates bc they are happening now, but then want kudos for the current UL updates.

Not sure either of those posts made much sense.

See, this is why UK fans have a problem with UL fans...anything you can do I can do better.

First they give Jurich credit for getting certain updates before UK 5-10 years ago...basically saying UK doesn't get credit because they are updating now, and too late.

Can't have it both ways. You can't take away from UK updates bc they are happening now, but then want kudos for the current UL updates.

Jurich has had a vision since day one when he got in town and you are seeing it with the new buildings springing up all over campus. It has nothing to do with trying to one up UK. He gets important people in the city and community to buy in.UK is building now but with the money they have been raking in from SEC football all this stuff should of happened a long time ago. Also look at the problems UK had with the city trying to get something to replace Rupp. Jurich makes it work.

Jurich is the king. Best in the history...UL has the best athletic program, facilities, coaches, players , AD and President in the nation.

Reactions: Steelers2012
The only thing that hasn't worked out well for them...they were positive that when UK was pretty much forced to start the bb series that UK wasn't their equal and it has pretty much been a nightmare for them!!!...but on the other hand I think UK thought they would dominate the fb series and even though it isn't nearly as lopsided as the bb Otis has managed to "control" it because of probation and Joker..

Academically, UL is struggling. I am not sure the ACC can lift it up. It's undergrad programs and med school are in a tough spot.

Athletically, UL is doing well, but I would hesitate to award a football program that seems currently reliant on other team casualties. That seems like a bad plan, if it is the long term approach.

Academically, UL is struggling. I am not sure the ACC can lift it up. It's undergrad programs and med school are in a tough spot.

Athletically, UL is doing well, but I would hesitate to award a football program that seems currently reliant on other team casualties. That seems like a bad plan, if it is the long term approach.
Excellent points. Time will tell.

World New ranks UL #161 and UK #129 so I don't know how one is struggling academically more than the other. Both have to deal with the majority of their students coming from a state that ranks 48th in education.

Academically, is struggling. I am not sure the ACC can lift it up. It's undergrad programs and med school are in a tough spot.

Athletically, UL is doing well, but I would hesitate to award a
World New ranks UL #161 and UK #129 so I don't know how one is struggling academically more than the other. Both have to deal with the majority of their students coming from a state that ranks 48th in education.

I agree you do not know. The med school is in dire straits. And the undergrad program is in a place where they cannot afford to raise their standard and cannot afford not to.

Outside of the Craft Center, every other project you mentioned was built after Louisville built their facilities. Now Louisville is continuing to update and expand with a state of the art Soccer stadium and Softball expansion last summer, academic center and enlarged training facility at the football complex and news coming soon on the expansion of the football stadium yet again. I wouldn't say it's to keep up with any particular program rather investing to be a player in your perspective P5 conference.

Here's the catch, Kentucky has always had those facilities where Louisville hasn't. It would be natural for Louisville to finally get those facilities, while Kentucky either upgrades theirs or replaces what they've had.

I still don't understand how anyone can say Louisville has better facilities than Kentucky. Some may be a few years newer, but that is because of what I mentioned above and even that is changing.

Yeah really... Jurich inherited a Purina dog food plant and an industrial wasteland at that campus, the only place to go was up. With $8-10m extra per year in their bottom line due to subsidies compared to UK, like I said earlier, UL is playing a different game than UK financially.

Here's the catch, Kentucky has always had those facilities where Louisville hasn't. It would be natural for Louisville to finally get those facilities, while Kentucky either upgrades theirs or replaces what they've had.

I still don't understand how anyone can say Louisville has better facilities than Kentucky. Some may be a few years newer, but that is because of what I mentioned above and even that is changing.
BBCN, I totally agree. UK has always had the facilities. In fact UofL used UK's indoor football facility to practice in for a bowl game when John L was coaching. If Louisville was ever going to be considered for membership in a Power 5 conference, the building of facilities had to take place. Some of these facilities are now 15+ years old and are going through upgrades. Even though the baseball stadium is only 10+ years old, it has already been expanded twice due to the teams success. Soccer has a new state of the art stadium due to the growth and support for that program. Now that UofL is in the ACC, it's only natural that they will continue to build, expand and upgrade to compete with their conference rivals. It's great to see UK finally spending money on their facilities, I know you and most on this board agree, it's long overdue.

Reactions: Mayoman
Yeah really... Jurich inherited a Purina dog food plant and an industrial wasteland at that campus, the only place to go was up. With $8-10m extra per year in their bottom line due to subsidies compared to UK, like I said earlier, UL is playing a different game than UK financially.
Not sure about the subsidies you're talking about, but UK has been earning well over 20m more per year than UofL by being in the SEC and has had multiple projects funded by state government over the years. Louisville has built all of their new facilities on campus through private money.

Reactions: The Public Enemy

EXACTLY CATS! It is hard to even have a meaningful dialogue with LB fans. I have said it for years. When Jurich retires, and the truth comes out about how he was able to build the UL athletic program and all the deceit with the UL Foundation and the Scum center and things that Ramsey is already trying to divert everyone's attention from and enlisting politicians and boosters to go public with support for him.....I will be laughing my ass off. There is so much crookedness going on down there that even Board of Trustees are beginning to take notice and are trying to be silenced.

Not sure about the subsidies you're talking about, but UK has been earning well over 20m more per year than UofL by being in the SEC and has had multiple projects funded by state government over the years. Louisville has built all of their new facilities on campus through private money.
I think he is talking about the 9.6 million a year paid to YUM! each year by the Jefferson County taxpayers the majority of which are not UL enthusiasts. A tax on UK, Notre Dame, IU , and all other fans as well as atheists who support no team. It will increase dramatically when they finally have to start paying off the bonds. Most payments to date have simply been for interest.

Want to go to a jimmy Buffet concert and buy a shirt? UL profits. The most ridiculous one sided lease in the history of the world. Only about between one and two % of the taxpayers have UL season tickets. The negotiators were UL fans on both sides and represented UL to the detriment of the taxpayers. Why should UK fans (about 40 % of the taxpayers) be taxed against their will to support UL. Mayor Fisher should go work for UL . He sides with them in scamming UK fans and others rather than doing his job as a prudent custodian of funds paid by ALL taxpayers.

I think he is talking about the 9.6 million a year paid to YUM! each year by the Jefferson County taxpayers the majority of which are not UL enthusiasts. A tax on UK, Notre Dame, IU , and all other fans as well as atheists who support no team. It will increase dramatically when they finally have to start paying off the bonds. Most payments to date have simply been for interest.

Want to go to a jimmy Buffet concert and buy a shirt? UL profits. The most ridiculous one sided lease in the history of the world. Only about between one and two % of the taxpayers have UL season tickets. The negotiators were UL fans on both sides and represented UL to the detriment of the taxpayers. Why should UK fans (about 40 % of the taxpayers) be taxed against their will to support UL. Mayor Fisher should go work for UL . He sides with them in scamming UK fans and others rather than doing his job as a prudent custodian of funds paid by ALL taxpayers.
The Yum center doesn't belong to UL it belongs to the city of Louisville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT