ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Lil Bro is expanding FB stadium

I think the Yum is a great facility. But, there is a difference between enjoying something and paying for it. UL got a criminally sweetheart deal to not build its own facility. Taxpayers are paying for it while UL enjoys its windfall.

Myself I am enjoying the Concerts and other activities that come to the Yum Center that use to bypass Louisville...

Jurich is proactive while Barnhart is reactive.Barnhart has gotten better but he still has been passed by Jurich.

Reactions: teamcanada
Ignoring the issue does not make it go away. Go put a down payment on a Lotus and enjoy it. Are you being purposefully dense?

The Arena for the city was needed...now if you want to blame anyone then blame the politicians...the only thing I said is I do enjoy the fact that many things that use to bypass the city now come here.

I think the Yum is a great facility. But, there is a difference between enjoying something and paying for it. UL got a criminally sweetheart deal to not build its own facility. Taxpayers are paying for it while UL enjoys its windfall.
Who do you think paid for Rupp when it was built? Taxpayers. The only difference is Yum! is a state of the art facility built in the states largest city which is the economic driver for the state. It should have been built a decade before, if so, it would probably be shared with the Grizzlies or Pelicans which both were coming to Louisville before last minute decisions to go to markets that could offer more money. Like everything, the city and the state are always playing catch up because of politics. When they finally decided to build it, UofL was the only program that could generate revenue while they now try to lure an NBA team. Sad to say, that ship has sailed.

False. . .and I suspect you know this.

I will say this...before they joined the SEC South Carolina had NEVER even won a Bowl game yet in the past several years they have won the SEC East...Missouri was a Mid Tier Big Eight/Big XII School yet they won the past two SEC East Titles in two of their first 3 years in the SEC.

Don't know how UofL would do but I am confident Tom Jurich would do what it is necessary to compete in that league in Football....look at this year in UofL Baseball for example...first year in the ACC won the Regular Season or even in Football....in 2013 lost an entire Coaching Staff and 3 NFL First Round Draft Picks including the NFL Pepsi Rookie of the Year in Teddy Bridgewater-(Odell Beckham was the AP Rookie of the Year) and yet still won 9 games with a new Coaching Staff including a Road Win at Notre Dame on their Senior Day while Starting a True Freshmen QB...Same ND team beat LSU in it Bowl Game.

I will say this...before they joined the SEC South Carolina had NEVER even won a Bowl game yet in the past several years they have won the SEC East...Missouri was a Mid Tier Big Eight/Big XII School yet they won the past two SEC East Titles in two of their first 3 years in the SEC.

Don't know how UofL would do but I am confident Tom Jurich would do what it is necessary to compete in that league in Football....look at this year in UofL Baseball for example...first year in the ACC won the Regular Season or even in Football....in 2013 lost an entire Coaching Staff and 3 NFL First Round Draft Picks including the NFL Pepsi Rookie of the Year in Teddy Bridgewater-(Odell Beckham was the AP Rookie of the Year) and yet still won 9 games with a new Coaching Staff including a Road Win at Notre Dame on their Senior Day while Starting a True Freshmen QB...Same ND team beat LSU in it Bowl Game.

"Don't know how UofL would do but I am confident Tom Jurich would do what it is necessary to compete in that league in Football"

Come on, no doubt he would try anything he could get away with and the NCAA is incompetent but there are only so many top players kicked out of other schools every year, and Auburn, Thug U, and others are also after them. Although I do think UL has passed them by in being attractive from letting them get away with more than anyone else.

Last edited:
I feel sure we'd compete at least.

Exactly....if Missouri can "compete" even though their previous 3 years in the Big XII North they were 8-5, 10-3, 8-5...came into the SEC went 5-7 and then Back to Back SEC East Titles...not saying UofL would do as well but at least with Jurich as AD UofL would be competitive...would have the SEC Brand for Recruiting...the ACC is a Good Brand on the Recruiting Trail but it's not the SEC...

Exactly....if Missouri can "compete" even though their previous 3 years in the Big XII North they were 8-5, 10-3, 8-5...came into the SEC went 5-7 and then Back to Back SEC East Titles...not saying UofL would do as well but at least with Jurich as AD UofL would be competitive...would have the SEC Brand for Recruiting...the ACC is a Good Brand on the Recruiting Trail but it's not the SEC...

Well, at least you got the last sentence right.

The Arena for the city was needed...now if you want to blame anyone then blame the politicians...the only thing I said is I do enjoy the fact that many things that use to bypass the city now come here.

UL played hardball negotiations to get the city to entice it away from an arena on campus. The city was screwed by the board, the politicians and UL.

UL played hardball negotiations to get the city to entice it away from an arena on campus. The city was screwed by the board, the politicians and UL.
Ummm, no; not exactly. There had been talk and nothing more about a new arena until the Fair Board put in an out year budget request to "replace aging Freedom Hall". When I read that I knew it was going to happen. The Fair Board (operators of the state owned Fair Grounds) is the only entity in Jefferson County that has received fair and equitable treatment from Frankfort in terms of "putting" money back into Jefferson County. The Mayor for Life and the "downtown interests quickly hi-jacked the project so they could execute a downtown attraction AND (many don't really "get' this) eliminate the LGE sub-station from the riverfront. The city money pledged to the project (~$100M) ultimately went to LGE to acquire the land and relocate the sub-station. IOW, the city subsidized a huge cost uniquely associated with developing this site and very little (if any) of their sizable investment actually went into construction cost.

The old "ready to build" water company site was being "reserved" for a commercial development. Due to the expense of building on the LGE commercial development would have never happened without similar considerations by the city. And the Mayor for Life and downtown interests were not going to let that big of an investment go into Central Louisville (i.e., UofL or Fair Grounds).

UofL "argued" for an on campus facility but knowing it would never happen. UofL screwed no one in this deal but was indeed going to be the beneficiary of a new arena wherever it was built. And there was not going to be an arena anywhere UNLESS UofL agreed to be the primary tenant, just as it had done for 50 years at Freedom Hall. All that said, the YUM! will never pay for itself and the primary cost will fall upon the taxpayers of Metro Louisville. The state money (I believe ~$60-65M) in the project was nothing more than an "economic development" initiative in the state's largest city (same deal as building the Civic Center and Rupp Arena years ago and countless smaller projects throughout the state).

Had there been no politicization of the project there would very likely be a new arena sitting in the state Fair Grounds quite possibly funded entirely by the state and UofL basketball still being the primary tenant.

But to return to the original subject for a moment, that $2.2B is nothing more than a 6 year wish list and only a fraction will be funded by Frankfort. And, almost certainly, no money for a PJCS expansion. That will be left to the ULAA to fund, possibly with the help of a Metro Louisville bond, but it is very unlikely any state backed revenue (much less state appropriations) would go to any such project.

The original expansion plan was for ~62,000 seat but had to be scaled backup ~56,000 due to construction inflation while waiting for Frankfort to approve the project even though they did not have a dime invested in it (Frankfort must approve all large capital projects on any state campus). A follow on project to add back those 6,000 (regular) seats would simply not economically feasible. But all this happened before UofL fortuitous entry into the ACC.

There has been a survey and expansion study done over the past year as well as announced plans to expand the Schnellenberger Complex and complete the Athletic Academic facility in the South End under the "party deck". Pure speculation on my part but, given the ACC membership, it is not out of the question that a stadium expansion be incorporated with those projects. However, any future stadium expansion will be driven by revenue considerations and not by one upping CWS's capacity. On that point, I'll say again I cannot believe that they could not find a way to do what they are doing but with much less impact on capacity.

Peace

Reactions: Mayoman
Ummm, no; not exactly. There had been talk and nothing more about a new arena until the Fair Board put in an out year budget request to "replace aging Freedom Hall". When I read that I knew it was going to happen. The Fair Board (operators of the state owned Fair Grounds) is the only entity in Jefferson County that has received fair and equitable treatment from Frankfort in terms of "putting" money back into Jefferson County. The Mayor for Life and the "downtown interests quickly hi-jacked the project so they could execute a downtown attraction AND (many don't really "get' this) eliminate the LGE sub-station from the riverfront. The city money pledged to the project (~$100M) ultimately went to LGE to acquire the land and relocate the sub-station. IOW, the city subsidized a huge cost uniquely associated with developing this site and very little (if any) of their sizable investment actually went into construction cost.

The old "ready to build" water company site was being "reserved" for a commercial development. Due to the expense of building on the LGE commercial development would have never happened without similar considerations by the city. And the Mayor for Life and downtown interests were not going to let that big of an investment go into Central Louisville (i.e., UofL or Fair Grounds).

UofL "argued" for an on campus facility but knowing it would never happen. UofL screwed no one in this deal but was indeed going to be the beneficiary of a new arena wherever it was built. And there was not going to be an arena anywhere UNLESS UofL agreed to be the primary tenant, just as it had done for 50 years at Freedom Hall. All that said, the YUM! will never pay for itself and the primary cost will fall upon the taxpayers of Metro Louisville. The state money (I believe ~$60-65M) in the project was nothing more than an "economic development" initiative in the state's largest city (same deal as building the Civic Center and Rupp Arena years ago and countless smaller projects throughout the state).

Had there been no politicization of the project there would very likely be a new arena sitting in the state Fair Grounds quite possibly funded entirely by the state and UofL basketball still being the primary tenant.

But to return to the original subject for a moment, that $2.2B is nothing more than a 6 year wish list and only a fraction will be funded by Frankfort. And, almost certainly, no money for a PJCS expansion. That will be left to the ULAA to fund, possibly with the help of a Metro Louisville bond, but it is very unlikely any state backed revenue (much less state appropriations) would go to any such project.

The original expansion plan was for ~62,000 seat but had to be scaled backup ~56,000 due to construction inflation while waiting for Frankfort to approve the project even though they did not have a dime invested in it (Frankfort must approve all large capital projects on any state campus). A follow on project to add back those 6,000 (regular) seats would simply not economically feasible. But all this happened before UofL fortuitous entry into the ACC.

There has been a survey and expansion study done over the past year as well as announced plans to expand the Schnellenberger Complex and complete the Athletic Academic facility in the South End under the "party deck". Pure speculation on my part but, given the ACC membership, it is not out of the question that a stadium expansion be incorporated with those projects. However, any future stadium expansion will be driven by revenue considerations and not by one upping CWS's capacity. On that point, I'll say again I cannot believe that they could not find a way to do what they are doing but with much less impact on capacity.

Peace

The Water Co site was rejected on a lie that the new center needed a hotel to be incorporated and that site would not accommodate the arena and a hotel. Of course, this was hogwash. They wanted the LGE power station to be moved and so they told the people it could not go on the water company block. It was a scam.

UL's continuous threat, whether true or just part of a collaborated dance, was that it would build an on campus arena with its own funding. The city and the board caved to that threat and the taxpayer was screwed by UL's sweetheart deal that the liars claimed would suffice because of the taxing district.

Great over the top arena. But, the taxpayers have been screwed.

The Water Co site was rejected on a lie that the new center needed a hotel to be incorporated and that site would not accommodate the arena and a hotel. Of course, this was hogwash. They wanted the LGE power station to be moved and so they told the people it could not go on the water company block. It was a scam.

UL's continuous threat, whether true or just part of a collaborated dance, was that it would build an on campus arena with its own funding. The city and the board caved to that threat and the taxpayer was screwed by UL's sweetheart deal that the liars claimed would suffice because of the taxing district.

Great over the top arena. But, the taxpayers have been screwed.
[roll]Where on earth did you get that? Absolute nonsense.

Think a minute. No way UofL can shell out $200M+ to build an arena on their own property. And, yeah, it would take that much. First of all, that would take bonding and neither Metro Louisville or the state was going to back such a bond. State would never underwrite an on-campus athletic project. I cannot think of a thing the state has underwritten for athletic infrastructure for UofL. Secondly, a capital project that size would require Frankfort approval even if UofL had $200M in cash sitting in Jurich's office. Why would one part of state government approve such an on campus project when other part of state government were "supporting" a downtown facility as an economic development initiative. To sum up, there was absolutely no way UofL could have pulled it off on their own.

Now most of what else you said is true. TIFs are nothing more than political fairy tales and there was/is ZERO chance of that TIF district coming close to the ridiculous income projection. But everybody went along because it had just enough juice at the time to get a bond issue through that was as solid as a wet tissue. The city did force the project to the waterfront because that is where they wanted it to go. And that location was far more expensive to build on for the reasons I listed. So, in that sense, the Mayor and the downtown interests did scam the taxpayers of Louisville who will end up paying the bond.

UofL certainly did not discourage a new arena but had virtually no say in where it would be built. They simply went along for the ride on this one. They were going to play in the new arena regardless of whether it was on the riverfront, at the Fairgrounds or Pleasure Ridge Park. [laughing]

Peace

Think a minute. No way UofL can shell out $200M+ to build an arena on their own property. And, yeah, it would take that much. First of all, that would take bonding and neither Metro Louisville or the state was going to back such a bond. State would never underwrite an on-campus athletic project. I cannot think of a thing the state has underwritten for athletic infrastructure for UofL. Secondly, a capital project that size would require Frankfort approval even if UofL had $200M in cash sitting in Jurich's office. Why would one part of state government approve such an on campus project when other part of state government were "supporting" a downtown facility as an economic development initiative. To sum up, there was absolutely no way UofL could have pulled it off on their own.

Now most of what else you said is true. TIFs are nothing more than political fairy tales and there was/is ZERO chance of that TIF district coming close to the ridiculous income projection. But everybody went along because it had just enough juice at the time to get a bond issue through that was as solid as a wet tissue. The city did force the project to the waterfront because that is where they wanted it to go. And that location was far more expensive to build on for the reasons I listed. So, in that sense, the Mayor and the downtown interests did scam the taxpayers of Louisville who will end up paying the bond.

UofL certainly did not discourage a new arena but had virtually no say in where it would be built. They simply went along for the ride on this one. They were going to play in the new arena regardless of whether it was on the riverfront, at the Fairgrounds or Pleasure Ridge Park. [laughing]

Peace

I am an alum, read the papers and have friends who work at UL in development. Whether it was fictitious posturing or an actual intent, UL used the leverage against the City that wanted the arena downtown to negotiate a criminal lease with ownership like control over scheduling. It would be nice to see them be better citizens and modify the deal to service the debt.

But, your cartoon rolling head makes for quite the argument.

I am an alum, read the papers and have friends who work at UL in development. Whether it was fictitious posturing or an actual intent, UL used the leverage against the City that wanted the arena downtown to negotiate a criminal lease with ownership like control over scheduling. It would be nice to see them be better citizens and modify the deal to service the debt.

OK, no emoticons this time. Obviously we disagree. There is so much misinformation about UofL and Yum! it easily gets my dander up.

But the only leverage UofL held in ANY arena talks or negotiations was the fact there would be no arena unless UofL agreed to play there. Now, without question, that is pretty powerful leverage in negotiating a lease but is meaningless IRT dictating an on campus site. UofL had a number years left on the Freedom Hall lease but, naturally, they were not going to complain about a new facility but, naturally, were not going to move from Freedom Hall without addressing their major complaint with Freedom Hall (i.e., availability).

Per the Yum! lease UofL pays ~$2.1M/year. That number is based on 10% of the gross men's basketball ticket price (22,000 seats x 22 games x $41/ticket )and a flat $5K/day for other events (women's basketball and 10 or so volleyball games). These numbers are for "game days". Practice days are presumably leased at the flat fee figure and not included in my numbers. And, just as they did at Freedom Hall, UolL shares in the concession income from game days.

Arena financials are hard to find but I seem to recall reading the bond service was ~$9M/yr. So doubling, even tripling UofL's rent does not cover the debt. (FWIW, UK pays about $1.1M/yr for Rupp.) The debt was supposed to be coverered by the ludicrously (criminally ???) optimistic TIF plan. Lay that one on the politicians, not UofL. As for scheduling, UofL is obligated to "lock down" their schedule dates by mid-September during the "preferred use period". Men and women's basket ball game days cannot be otherwise contracted but other dates can (e.g., practice dates). On several occasions the arena management has said no dates were lost due a conflict with UofL games. The unique "control" that UofL has over the arena is that UofL suite holders have first right of refusal for suite use for ANY arena event, thus making an unattractive situation for a pro basketball franchise.

Peace

OK, no emoticons this time. Obviously we disagree. There is so much misinformation about UofL and Yum! it easily gets my dander up.

But the only leverage UofL held in ANY arena talks or negotiations was the fact there would be no arena unless UofL agreed to play there. Now, without question, that is pretty powerful leverage in negotiating a lease but is meaningless IRT dictating an on campus site. UofL had a number years left on the Freedom Hall lease but, naturally, they were not going to complain about a new facility but, naturally, were not going to move from Freedom Hall without addressing their major complaint with Freedom Hall (i.e., availability).

Per the Yum! lease UofL pays ~$2.1M/year. That number is based on 10% of the gross men's basketball ticket price (22,000 seats x 22 games x $41/ticket )and a flat $5K/day for other events (women's basketball and 10 or so volleyball games). These numbers are for "game days". Practice days are presumably leased at the flat fee figure and not included in my numbers. And, just as they did at Freedom Hall, UolL shares in the concession income from game days.

Arena financials are hard to find but I seem to recall reading the bond service was ~$9M/yr. So doubling, even tripling UofL's rent does not cover the debt. (FWIW, UK pays about $1.1M/yr for Rupp.) The debt was supposed to be coverered by the ludicrously (criminally ???) optimistic TIF plan. Lay that one on the politicians, not UofL. As for scheduling, UofL is obligated to "lock down" their schedule dates by mid-September during the "preferred use period". Men and women's basket ball game days cannot be otherwise contracted but other dates can (e.g., practice dates). On several occasions the arena management has said no dates were lost due a conflict with UofL games. The unique "control" that UofL has over the arena is that UofL suite holders have first right of refusal for suite use for ANY arena event, thus making an unattractive situation for a pro basketball franchise.

Peace

What again is UL's profit from the Yum and boxes? I did not see that.

Take off your blue blinders and give Louisville the credit they deserve for taking an afterthought of an athletic program and growing it into a force to be reckoned with. Jurich's program has lapped Barnhart and it is not even close. Jurich started so far behind UK it was laughable at the time. Mitch ought to declare victory and retire while he can still argue the point.

Reactions: brianpoe
The Yum! is not owned by UofL, just like Rupp is not owned by UK. Both are simply necessary tenants and wouldn't exist without them.
If you think Yum is not "owned" by Otis then you need to read the contract and see how much say they have in bookings and the $$$$$ they get from each event held there...Their name is not on the title, but believe you me it might as well be...They just don't have to pay for it:scream:...Part of the problem that held back the Rupp renovation...UK wanted a sweet deal close to it...But, JIM HOST , one of UK's own wouldn't go to bat for it like he did for Yum...

I'm pretty sure Jurich doesn't wake up every morning thinking what can I do to get bragging rights over UK today?
You think TJ doesn't?...Why do you think he hates Matt Jones so bad?...If KSR didn't make so much money for clear channel , Jurich would have him off the air tomorrow...:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smiley::sunglasses:

UL pays a much higher rent at Yum! than it ever paid in the dilapidated Freedom Hall. That rent also includes allowing the Women's team and Volleyball team play there which costs them as well. You use to be able to shoot a cannon off down Main street after 6:00 most nights without worry about hitting anyone. Since the Yum! opened, the entire area is being redeveloped and Louisville is now a destination for top tier concerts once again. I know UK has Memorial for the womens teams, I have never understood why they don't use Rupp for more games especially with the growth of the Womens basketbal team.
Because they mostly sell out memorial and Coach likes the atmosphere there better than having Rupp half full...They occasional play a game there each year...

Jurich is proactive while Barnhart is reactive.Barnhart has gotten better but he still has been passed by Jurich.
If MB were to be allowed to scam money the way TJ does he could do the same...With that being said MB pissed off some of the "good ole boys" off when he first got here and some of them haven't come around yet...With that being said , I think the new practice facility for football was funded solely by donors who in the past were basketball only donors before Stoops...

Peace
True...Mayor for life Jerry A. scammed the folks of Louisville for a long time and he was /is a huge supporter of ul and he and his buddy Jim Host did a lot of under handed dealing in getting the Chicken Bucket built...He is now in DC with the biggest scam artist in the country...

For WC...If you think this isn't true about Otis's "ownership" of the Yum, then why can't an nba franchise be brought to Louisville...because Otis "owns" the Yum and has "complete" control over it and will sometime if the future probably be given the chance to buy it for pennies on the dollar...

For WC...If you think this isn't true about Otis's "ownership" of the Yum, then why can't an nba franchise be brought to Louisville...because Otis "owns" the Yum and has "complete" control over it and will sometime if the future probably be given the chance to buy it for pennies on the dollar...

Not really sure to what in my post you are responding.

Who is Otis?

I'd be willing to bet this "expansion" doesn't happen anytime soon at PJCS. And let me say I have 0 inside info, just a guess that it's all some PR on UL's side as the New CWS draws closer to opening day. Call it a bit of a distraction to actual shovels in ground on a real project down the street from them.

Other School In State. You know the ones who can't compete with UK on any level.
Otis = other SCHOOL in state.... Must be a UL education...it really stands for....Other Team In State...as you can see UL is not a school as not even non-athletes from UL are intelligent!

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
Other School In State. You know the ones who can't compete with UK on any level.

In what sport is UL competitive in with UK besides football? Even then, we all know that UK has abused its football program for years and it's still been a competitive series. Now that UK finally seems to be taking football much more serious, I'd expect that series to also become just as lopsided in the next 10 years, too.

Also I'd like to note that I also cheer for UL when they're not playing UK, as I don't consider UL anymore of a 'rival' than any other in state directional school.

I actually thought the OTIS thing was pretty funny, and even suggested using the big OTIS Campbell chicken bucket head cutout at games, but I guess it never caught on to that degree.

ADVERTISEMENT