ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Lil Bro is expanding FB stadium

What many fail to realize is that many of the "empty" seats that are seen on TV are already bought and paid for to the university. Whether those corporate blocks are filled by the companies that pay for them or not, UofL has already received their compensation for them. So, each time someone says "I can get UofL tickets on the cheap" at work, realize those tickets sales have already provided funding for UofL
so as long as you can shake down a co. for money to pay for a seat then its cool? point is, if UK had a smaller venue than you now then you would just upgrade the dang thing and may close in the one endzone to improve the "look". it's about bragging rights and you know it. it won't matter to you guys that 5 out of 7 games have 5000 to 10000 empty seats cause you'll still brag about expanding. if UK would've kept capacity at 72,000 then im pretty sure this expansion would've come close to 70,000 just to be in the neighborhood.

No UK fan paying attention could argue UK has not committed itself to football since the ousting of Joker. The contention otherwise is absurd bird feed.

so as long as you can shake down a co. for money to pay for a seat then its cool? point is, if UK had a smaller venue than you now then you would just upgrade the dang thing and may close in the one endzone to improve the "look". it's about bragging rights and you know it. it won't matter to you guys that 5 out of 7 games have 5000 to 10000 empty seats cause you'll still brag about expanding. if UK would've kept capacity at 72,000 then im pretty sure this expansion would've come close to 70,000 just to be in the neighborhood.

Wow...not about "Bragging" rights...Nobody makes a Business Decision based on that...look at it this way...before the First Expansion in 2010 the University of Louisville Averaged in the years of 2005-2009 Rougly 39K...since the expansion from that time they have averaged over 50K from 2010 to 2014 with 2014 Attendence Average of just under 53K.

Fact is right now in the Atlantic Division of the ACC which UofL is a part of FSU, Virginia, NC State and Clemson have larger Seating Capacity. UofL is no longer in C-USA/AAC/BIG EAST...They need to continue to grow and invest in order to keep up...some fail to realize that.

Reactions: Mayoman
Yeah...because corporate sponsorships are shake downs. :okay: SMH.
not all are sponsors. we do business with ul, and several other universities in 4 different states, and ul is the only that make football ticket purchases part of the cost of doing business.

Anyone that does not think Tom Jurich has built UL's brand is clueless...he took a conference usa football program and turned them into a team that will consistantly play in very gd bowls and occasionally have an argument to be in the playoff. With all of our 'we're in the big bad sec' bragging over the past however many yrs, what did mitch do to improve our program? Until Stoops got here and lit a fire in our football program we were going nowhere fast. Just ask coach Brooks what he thinks mitch has done for our football program. Jurich has a 'vision' and a plan to accomplish that 'vision'....mitch just has a vision for what , our archery team? We will be much better off once mitch is gone!

UL's athletics business and revenue model is totally different than UK's. Not sure that anyone mentioned that yet in all the praise of Tom Jurich.

One is a horse on steroids and other artificial enhancers, the other is on oats, hay, and water. We'll see long term which approach is better, the race isn't over.

Tom Jurich built a first class basketball arena and now turning Papa Johns into a first class football stadium, built new soccer stadium, etc....If your sitting around waiting for UL to crumble, you better pray Jurich leaves very soon.

Reactions: brianpoe
Not true about the tickets already being paid for when UL comes to a business or school offering discount tickets...my university did NOT buy a block of tickets, although for almost every game of my four yrs, we got emails about 5 dollar tickets due to lower than anticipated sales.

Tom Jurich built a first class basketball arena and now turning Papa Johns into a first class football stadium, built new soccer stadium, etc....If your sitting around waiting for UL to crumble, you better pray Jurich leaves very soon.
Why don't you go hide in your closet or something?..

Tom Jurich didn't build the Yum Center. The city of Louisville built the Yum Center and paid for it too. In fact we're all still paying for it. While The University of Louisville profits our City and its glorious arena has been given junk bond status. So thanks for that Tommy Turtleneck

No one is waiting on them to crumble, that I know of, we are funding things differently than UL.

Damn. Facts.

Louisville, who is right ahead of Kentucky (#19) at #18, brings in a whopping 11.35% of their revenue from subsidies. In fact, UK has the lowest subsidy of all of the SEC schools, but only ranks eighth in the league in overall revenue.

UL - $9m from Academics UK - $0

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

Last edited:
Like or dislike Tom Jurich he runs circles around Mitch when it comes to building his schools 'brand'.....Mitch always seems to be in react mode...and if you dont like my take on it 'I don't care'......so blast away
Yea and that's because the turtle McConnell greases the wheels up there for him. If Barnhart had a powerbroker like the Turtle Barnhart would never have an issue funding facility renovations.

They just approved 2.2 Billion funding and 55 million is for the FB stadium expansion. Rumor is they will surpass Commonwealth in size when it is finished.

While we decreased the size of our stadium they are opting to increase theirs. Where do they get all the money? Why are tax payers, who end up footing the bill for the poor financial choices of ul not riot?

This is just another example of Jurrich and ul trying to act big and sticking the tax payers with the bill just like they did with yum center.
You sure about this? I live in Louisville and get CJ every day and I have read nothing about any definite plans for stadium expansion.

Thing is Louisville no longer plays Memphis who brings NOBODY and no longer plays in the C-USA/American/BIG EAST...every year either a Florida State or Clemson comes to town along with NC State that also travels...plus Notre Dame is coming to Papa John's on 2 September 2019 due to the ND/ACC Scheduling agreement.
It's like little brother is making more money than big brother and is trying to build a bigger house.... They rest everything they do on us... You know why, because they built their expectations and foundation upon their big brother Kentucky... That is their measuring stick and no matter how big of a house they build, it won't help their longing to be big brother... Pitiful....
th
th

If UK fans weren't so jealous of what "little bro" has accomplished then this thread wouldn't be so long. Why do you even care about what we do or accomplish. And by the way, when it comes to pissing away tax payer dollars when will UK be able to build football facilities with donated dollars. What a joke.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!
Why are you even here?

It's like little brother is making more money than big brother and is trying to build a bigger house.... They rest everything they do on us... You know why, because they built their expectations and foundation upon their big brother Kentucky... That is their measuring stick and no matter how big of a house they build, it won't help their longing to be big brother... Pitiful....
th
th

No...the Goal is to win the Atlantic Division of the ACC...Much like Georgia Tech Goal is to win the Coastal Divison of the ACC...not to beat in Louisville case Kentucky or in Georgia Tech case Georgia..the same applies for South Carolina/Clemson and FSU/Miami/Florida..their goals are to win the respective Divisions in the ACC/SEC...

Last edited:
I don't care one way or the other whether we expand PJCS or not but so long as it pissed you guys off then I'm for it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Hey gofarts, it's good to to see that you haven't changed from being a turd. lol

No...the Goal is to win the Atlantic Division of the ACC...Much like Georgia Tech Goal is to win the Coastal Divison of the ACC...not to beat in Louisville case Kentucky or in Georgia Tech case Georgia..the same applies for South Carolina/Clemson and FSU/Miami/Florida..their goals are to win the respective Divisions in the ACC/SEC...
I hope you have a lot of time on your hands...

I hope you have a lot of time on your hands...

Just explaining Schools in the P5 have more important issues to worry about then to worry about another P5 school that might share the same state but not the same conference. Sure you want to win the "Rivalry Game" but you don't make MultiMillion Dollar Decisions just to one up someone you don't compete with to win League Titles.

I'm pretty sure Jurich doesn't wake up every morning thinking what can I do to get bragging rights over UK today?

teamcanada is still posting? Unbelieveable. Do we have any Mods on this site?

I just don't care. I do wish UL would be a good citizen and pay off the Yum so taxpayers do not continue to eat that thing. But, beyond that, just not that important what UL is doing.

I just don't care. I do wish UL would be a good citizen and pay off the Yum so taxpayers do not continue to eat that thing. But, beyond that, just not that important what UL is doing.
The Yum! is not owned by UofL, just like Rupp is not owned by UK. Both are simply necessary tenants and wouldn't exist without them.

What worries me is that since UL figured out that the cost of living in Louisville is about twice what it is in Lexington (so they can pay their players twice as big a stipend LEGALLY) there will be a mass exodus of Linebeards to Lexington.

How about it loucatfan (not a linebeard) and others, wouldn't it pay you to keep your job but move to Lexington and commute to work?

LOL

Ul is all sport no academic. Acc lost it's academic cred once they brought them on. (Save me responses about said academic programs and their success, I don't care. You didn't even go there.)

What will happen when Jurich is done at shmoo?

I live about 30 miles from Clemson

Their goal this past season was most definitely to beat USC, not win their division.

Yea and that's because the turtle McConnell greases the wheels up there for him. If Barnhart had a powerbroker like the Turtle Barnhart would never have an issue funding facility renovations.
Actually one of UK'S own had much more to do with the Trailer Center than MC...Mr. Jim Host and then wouldn't lift a finger to help with Rupp...

I live about 30 miles from Clemson

Their goal this past season was most definitely to beat USC, not win their division.

Well....if that the case that is just sad especially since Clemson has a much Stronger overall Football History then the Gamecocks...they also had a hellva chance to win the Atlantic Division...also, posted this question on a ACC Board and the Clemson fans disagreed...true they wanted to beat USCjr hut the goal was to win the ACC.

The Yum! is not owned by UofL, just like Rupp is not owned by UK. Both are simply necessary tenants and wouldn't exist without them.

If we could only rewind the clock and undue the oppressive windfall given to UL. Again, as a good citizen, UL would give back, rather than just take.

What worries me is that since UL figured out that the cost of living in Louisville is about twice what it is in Lexington (so they can pay their players twice as big a stipend LEGALLY) there will be a mass exodus of Linebeards to Lexington.

How about it loucatfan (not a linebeard) and others, wouldn't it pay you to keep your job but move to Lexington and commute to work?

LOL

Good point. I can think of nothing in Louisville that costs 2X what it would cost in Lex.

UofL steals from taxpayers, gets their wonderful new arena, and KY still owns them in basketball.

UofL has had years to recover from Krags and KY is now recovering from Joker who was even worse. This coming season will be more even on the field than it has been in about 5 years. Both programs can buy all of their fancy facilities, add more seats, etc. etc. but what matters is what those players do on the field and I am afraid UofL is about to fall behind. For anyone to compare UofL to the SEC is a joke. If they played in the SEC they would be about where KY is now. Pure and simple. They finally played a motivated upper echelon SEC program and got dismantled but keep hanging their hats on the FL win. Hats off to UofL though because that is something KY has not been able to do in almost 30 years.

Reactions: BengalWACO
If we could only rewind the clock and undue the oppressive windfall given to UL. Again, as a good citizen, UL would give back, rather than just take.
UL pays a much higher rent at Yum! than it ever paid in the dilapidated Freedom Hall. That rent also includes allowing the Women's team and Volleyball team play there which costs them as well. You use to be able to shoot a cannon off down Main street after 6:00 most nights without worry about hitting anyone. Since the Yum! opened, the entire area is being redeveloped and Louisville is now a destination for top tier concerts once again. I know UK has Memorial for the womens teams, I have never understood why they don't use Rupp for more games especially with the growth of the Womens basketbal team.

Reactions: Mayoman
I think the Yum is a great facility. But, there is a difference between enjoying something and paying for it. UL got a criminally sweetheart deal to not build its own facility. Taxpayers are paying for it while UL enjoys its windfall.

ADVERTISEMENT