ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder if Cal will trumpet our success in the draft again.

Originally posted by Farsight:
I think what everyone is doing is taking the OP's statement out of context.

The OP is essentially saying that UK shouldn't measure it's success as a basketball program by who gets drafted after we failed to bring home a title that was clearly "suppose" to be ours. The way to measure a programs success in basketball is by the number of wins and championships.

Yes Cal has brought us a title in three years. Why did we win that 2012 title? Because Jones and Lamb came back. We wouldn't of won that title with out them. Not every player that Cal needs to recruit should be drafted every year. Look at Teague, Lamb and Orton. They're struggling right now. They would have absolutely benefited from staying one more year.

I think what the OP is trying to convey is that he doesn't care for when Cal adds the programs success to draft day after we had the best team in the tournament and "should have" won the title.
You and he both would be wrong. If these dozens of posters have educated to you as to why Cal says the things he does then we can't help either of you. You see it doesn't matter if simple minded folks don't get it. Cal knows how college bball in 2015 works in regards to getting big time players that produce big time results.

You guys should reread the entire thread, lots of great points here. Recruiting jargon is not a direct description of our legacy but the results of that jargon continues it.

Originally posted by Farsight:
I think what everyone is doing is taking the OP's statement out of context.

The OP is essentially saying that UK shouldn't measure it's success as a basketball program by who gets drafted after we failed to bring home a title that was clearly "suppose" to be ours. The way to measure a programs success in basketball is by the number of wins and championships.

Yes Cal has brought us a title in three years. Why did we win that 2012 title? Because Jones and Lamb came back. We wouldn't of won that title with out them. Not every player that Cal needs to recruit should be drafted every year. Look at Teague, Lamb and Orton. They're struggling right now. They would have absolutely benefited from staying one more year.

I think what the OP is trying to convey is that he doesn't care for when Cal adds the programs success to draft day after we had the best team in the tournament and "should have" won the title.
No, we hear it. It's just stupid.

So what would you have Cal do? NOT be there promoting Kentucky when Towns goes number one? They interview him and instead he's like yeah who cares about Karl, we lost to Wisconsin so this year was a failure?

You can't win without recruits. You can't win without recruits. You can't win without recruits. You can't win without recruits. Cal is recruiting. Do you know why? Because you can't win without recruits.

It isn't going to change the outcome of the Wisconsin game if Cal bitches and cries about guys going pro. It will just ensure that we don't get back to the Final Four for a chance to make it right.

I can't for the life of me understand why some of our fans think this is about them. If you're paying attention, we're on one hell of a run. If you aren't happy with this last six years, no one will make you happy as our coach.

This isn't about us, but by letting it be about THEM, we ALSO get to benefit. That's way easier than selling it the other way around and explaining to a future NBA Hall of Famer how happy it would make Billy Joe Wildcat if he came to play for Big Blue.

It doesn't matter that Daniel Orton should or shouldn't have come back. What matters is that Cal gets to sell him as another big man taken in the first round and land guys like Karl Towns that take us to Final Fours. Then Towns gets taken high in the drat and Cal gets the next great big guy.

Why is this so hard? How do some fans still not understand this? How can you POSSIBLY be unhappy about anything with this program right now?

Once again, why do UK fans act like they are a part of the program? It is about the coaches and players...they are the program. People like the OP are just losers who think they matter. Fans have never won a game, or lost a game...yet they think they are a part of it when UK wins the title or goes to the Final Four.

And the OP is clueless with his "how many titles have come from our draft success" well one in 2012 so the OP saying zero shows how dumb he is. AD, MKG, Teague, Jones, Lamb, etc, came to UK because of the success the 2009/2010 team had, and that includes how well they did in the draft.

^^^

now that I can't agree with. The fans are a HUGE part of the system. Without us, UK doesn't even play basketball. Diminishing the importance of fans because of a few nutty comments isn't the way Id take it personally. Fans make sports work.

Great point UKWildcats8... obviously the 30,000 plus that showed up in Indy, not to mention the hundreds of thousands watching on TV & listeninig on radio are meaningless when it comes to the program.

the 23,000 plus who show up to every home game...meaningless to the program

The Big Blue Mist that takes over places like Nashville, Atlanta & Indy...meaningless to the program.

the program would carry on just fine if it were just "...the players and the coaches."

wow...

Underachieving year? You must be hitting the sauce. A FF is not a bad year. Yes, if he wants to applaud our kids in the draft. Good for him. We have 3 FF and an NC banner to show for the last 6 years. Give me one school that has equaled that. Yes, the program comes first, but without great players the program is irrelevant. Give it a break.

The fans are meaningless when it comes to winning and losing the actual games. They help generate revenue and go and cheer and support the team...but clearly not at the top of the importance level. If it makes one think he/she being at a game helps UK win, fine, but UK is going to win if they win, lose if they lose, whether or not those 30,000 or there or not. People on here can argue that all they want...but stop with the entitled BS. That was my main point.

The cal worship is hilarious. We don't have UK fans anymore, just Cal fans. His comment about the 2010 draft being "THE GREATEST" night in the history of the program was, and is, stupid. Not to mention disrepectful. The fact he said that didn't get us one single additional recruit. Seems to me Duke and Kansas are recruiting just great and their coaches never mentioned anything remotely as stupid as what Cal did.

Originally posted by 3rex:
Great point UKWildcats8... obviously the 30,000 plus that showed up in Indy, not to mention the hundreds of thousands watching on TV & listeninig on radio are meaningless when it comes to the program.

the 23,000 plus who show up to every home game...meaningless to the program

The Big Blue Mist that takes over places like Nashville, Atlanta & Indy...meaningless to the program.

the program would carry on just fine if it were just "...the players and the coaches."

wow...
The fans are part of the reason UK basketball is a success. But they aren't owed anything or entitled to anything. No one is forced to follow UK sports. You do it because you want to do it.

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:
The fans are meaningless when it comes to winning and losing the actual games. They help generate revenue and go and cheer and support the team...but clearly not at the top of the importance level. If it makes one think he/she being at a game helps UK win, fine, but UK is going to win if they win, lose if they lose, whether or not those 30,000 or there or not. People on here can argue that all they want...but stop with the entitled BS. That was my main point.
Yea I get what you're saying, I just didn't agree with the original statement.

In the literal sense, no, fans aren't actually playing the game. But even in the sense you are speaking, fans still help control outcomes of games. When noise level elevates in basketball, it definitely affects outcomes. In football when a defense ask for more noise and the wide outs can't hear the QB, thats the fans having a direct impact on the games.

Fans are probably the single most important aspect of all sports, in my opinion. I just don't see how sports of any kind could really take place without them.

So while I see what you're getting at, and I get the frustration you have with people taking their sports really REALLY seriously, that's just the nature of this beast. We call ourselves the yankees of college basketball. Well, Yankee fans want rings. It's what it is.

Originally posted by BigBlueFanGA:

Originally posted by barryn2000:
You probably wanted your dog to stay a puppy his whole life too....right?

I don't even know where to begin....your post is so nonsensical.
Since UK had a BB team...kids come and go. Whether it be the NBA or just graduation, there has always been the cycle of reloading. In this day and age, the best recruits will end up in the NBA...that's a fact. The best will want to go to a program that gives them the best exposure...that's also a fact. The best want to play for a coach that can polish their game and highlight their talent...another fact.
Thus...
Cal (and UK) are not going to stop the best kids from going to the NBA
Cal (and UK) get the best because of the past success in preparing them for the NBA
Cal (and UK) benefit from having the best
But....you think this is all about Cal?
Your logic is bizarre...It's like turning down Steve Jobs or Bill Gates to manage your 100 year old $250k a year family business because all the media attention will be on him.
If tooting the NBA draft horn in any way lands UK the best....I don't understand why it bothers you.
I'm afraid your lack of logic is odd. Tell me, how many banners are hanging in Rupp because of our draft success? That would be none. That is because the program comes before the players. They are a blip on the radar. Titles are all that really matters. Like it or not, you'll be hard pressed to refute it. If you applaud our draft success in an underachieving year, you may be part of the problem.
This is your biggest misconception. Players ARE the program.

91 posts and you guys are missing the point of my post. I don't believe for a second that Cal isn't serious when he says our draft day is our greatest success. Sure, it could be a recruiting ploy Cal actually doesn't believe, but I think he does believe it. What happened to the idea that the program is greater than any coach and certainly greater than any player. Cal, right or wrong, is turning our program inside out. I simply don't like it. I didn't ask anyone to agree with me. I'm a big boy. I don't run with the crowd or seek its approval. I appreciate the success we are having and haved loved each player who came through, but I'm growing weary of 1-2 year players. That certainly isn't how you build a dynasty. You guys want to accept a flash in the pan where I'm saying I prefer a slow burn. Either way, I bet we would all prefer a 30-10 NC to a 38-1 final four team. Our team pulled that rock almost to the top of the mountain, decided pulling a rock isn't what they want to do and the rock rolled all the way down again. Now next years group gets to start all over, at the bottom, again. I wish I could love that style the way most of you seem to, but I cant. Regardless of the green talent that comes every year, getting that rock to the top is very difficult. Starting at the bottom each year just makes it unlikely to happen. But hey, who cares so long as we get most of our team drafted.

When I see Anthony Davis, John Wall, Boogie Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, MKG, Terrance Jones, Nerlens Noel, Archie Goodwin, etc. ALL representing UK, coming back to campus frequently, promoting UK, proud they came to UK, tweeting about UK, etc. it makes your post seem RIDICULOUS!!

Our OAD players are just as much a part of UK's legacy as a whole as the rest of our players through the years. To try and portray Cal's UK players as just a "flash in the pan" makes your point of view even more RIDICULOUS.

WE ARE A "DYNASTY"!!! Now as much or even more so than ever!!

Sheesh, I have to clarify everything with you guys. The "flash in a pan" comment referred to their usually brief but bright careers here. I said nothing about coming back or staying connected to UK.

Just look at Tncatfanforevers thread. Many are saying the same thing I am, just saying it a little differently. There are many who feel this way and it will grow with each year we fail to win a title but we win draft day. Just wait and see.

I disagree with you entirely. My favorite aspect of being a UK fan is the players. Always has been, always will be. I loved them like they were my big brothers growing up, and now they feel like sons who I just want to see achieve their dreams and get paid back in spades for all the joy and fun times they've given the BBN. Whatever it takes to do that, I'll support it. If it means coming back to try and win a title before pursuing those NBA career dreams, then lucky me. But they don't owe any of us a thing.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'm complaining about Cals glory on draft day. His constant statements that the players are most important. Tell me, do you view UK's success as more important or the players draft success as more important. I go with UK. Saying one creates the other has yet to really be proven.
That glory he touts is what restocks the program. The young men he signs are making a business decision first. And that decision is, who can help me get to the league. That is why they want to come and play for him. We simply get to enjoy the result of their making that business decision.

Just look at Tncatfanforevers thread. Many are saying the same thing I am, just saying it a little differently. There are many who feel this way and it will grow with each year we fail to win a title but we win draft day. Just wait and see.
Sooooooooo... where were you when we didn't win a title from 1999 - 2011?

Your argument is incredibly flawed. Plus, you're using general terms (see bold) to somehow make logical what you're trying to push on people, and it isn't. There are not MANY people who feel this way. Maybe in your house there are people who feel this way, but that does not constitute MANY.

Please. Just. Stop. This. Nonsense.

Just. Stop.

Stop.

Originally posted by nssdigitalchumps:

Your argument is incredibly flawed. Plus, you're using general terms (see bold) to somehow make logical what you're trying to push on people, and it isn't. There are not MANY people who feel this way. Maybe in your house there are people who feel this way, but that does not constitute MANY.

Just. Stop.

Stop.
I'll stop when I feel like it. You aren't paying attention to the threads and posts on this board. I'll never agree that draft day is our greatest success. As for the Tubby, BCG years, I was pretty angry. One was incompetent and the other couldn't recruit at all. Neither means anything in this thread. So far Cal has managed the same NC's as Tubby and one more than BCG, but hey, at least we've had around 23 draft picks under Cal (including this year) that means something, right?

Originally posted by nssdigitalchumps:

Just. Stop.

Stop.
I'll stop when I feel like it. You aren't paying attention to the threads and posts on this board. I'll never agree that draft day is our greatest success. As for the Tubby, BCG years, I was pretty angry. One was incompetent and the other couldn't recruit at all. Neither means anything in this thread. So far Cal has managed the same NC's as Tubby and one more than BCG, but hey, at least we've had around 23 draft picks under Cal (including this year) that means something, right?
How many final fours did Cal go to here in comparison to Tubby? Pitino?

Pitino only had one championship here, right? Did you hate him for it? Did you hate Tubby for it? Where is your argument. It's all over the freaking place, man. Just everywhere. Every time you make a comment on this thread, it gets more ridiculous.

Also, you're being incredibly disrespectful to the coach, the team and UK with this thread. I'm sure you know that, right?

This post was edited on 4/8 5:45 PM by nssdigitalchumps

So now we judge ourselves by reaching a final four? Thanks for bringing this back on point for me.

I'm sorry guys, but I completley agree with OP. I know the excuses are starting to come out fast and heavy that "well most schools would love to have our success going to the NCAA tourney and losing big games" "most schools would love to have all these draft picks even though they don't win championships" etc..but I've got news for some of you..this isn't "most" schools..this is Alabama football..this is the New York Yankees..this is Kentucky basketball. This year's loss in the final 4 was the worst loss in the history of the program and I'll stand behind that fact and nothing you can argue will change that fact in my mind.

50 years from now people will still be talking about how bad this loss was. That might be ok with some of you, but I'm sorry, it's not okay with me..not by a long shot. Sure I know you'll say "well we won 38 games!" Who cares? Yes, that's awesome IF you can finish it all out and win the tourney, and YES if you were at any other school you could boast about having a great REGULAR season and losing in the tourney, but NOT HERE.

I'm sorry, but some of us have forgotten who we are. In this society where excellence, dominance and high expectations are now being forced to take a back seat to those who want everyone to be equal, want everyone to get a trophy and be told they're great, and for fans of great teams to be happy with being "good" but not great, here is the bottom line:

At Kentucky we don't celebrate:

-final four appearances
-38-1 seasons
-players getting drafted to the NBA
-guys having big hearts and being "good" guys that "gave their best"

Here's what WE celebrate:

-national titles
This post was edited on 4/8 5:56 PM by jnewc2

So now we judge ourselves by reaching a final four? Thanks for bringing this back on point for me.
I'm just shooting down nonsense you pointed out in the last page. Certainly you're smart enough to pick that up, right?

Anyway, and I know you've carefully ignored this throughout the thread, you do understand that draft day is recruiting day for UK, right? We're proving we can take the best, make them better and then get them where they need to go. That helps continue to get the best. Why would you want to NOT promote that? Why would you not want to make sure EVERYONE knew that we are a school that can get you to the NBA?

Do you really want to become Arizona? Gonzaga? Louisville? Do you want to be Duke and lose to Mercer or LeHigh with subpar talent?

Again, I'm not sure what you're complaining about? It doesn't make sense.

Originally posted by jnewc2:
I'm sorry guys, but I completley agree with OP. I know the excuses are starting to come out fast and heavy that "well most schools would love to have our success going to the NCAA tourney and losing big games" "most schools would love to have all these draft picks even though they don't win championships" etc..but I've got need for some of you..this isn't "most" schools..this is Alabama football..this is the New York Yankees..this is Kentucky basketball. This year's loss in the final 4 was the worst loss in the history of the program and I'll stand behind that fact.

50 years from now people will still be talking about how bad this loss was. That might be ok with some of you, but I'm sorry, it's not okay with me..not by a long shot. Sure I know you'll say "well we won 38 games!" Who cares? Yes, that's awesome IF you can finish it all out and win the tourney, and YES if you were at any other school you could boast about having a great REGULAR season and losing in the tourney, but NOT HERE.

I'm sorry, but some of us have forgotten who we are. Here is the bottom line:

-final four appearances
-38-1 seasons

-national titles
We haven't forgotten. We just appreciate the body of work. People without intelligence only see titles. I'm shocked you all didn't run Pitino and Tubby out of town sooner. lol

Nssdigitalchumps, you must have a reading comprehension problem. I love Cal and the players. I can strongly disagree with some things they say and do at the same time, or perhaps you aren't caoable of that.

Nssdigitalchumps, you must have a reading comprehension problem. I love Cal and the players. I can strongly disagree with some things they say and do at the same time, or perhaps you aren't caoable of that.
Yeah, doesn't sound like you mean that through what you're saying.

I'm quite caoable of reading, thanks. I'm sorry you are unable to understand other points of view, and that your viewpoint simply doesn't make sense. Doesn't matter to me, though. I now understand what a lost cause looks like.

Many thanks.

If you don't find undefeated regular seasons, Final Fours, and awesome human beings for players things worth celebrating, then youve picked up the wrong hobby entirely.

Look around you Chump. Lots and lots of threads and posts along the same line as mine. I frankly couldn't possibly care if you agree with me or not.

-final four appearances
-38-1 seasons

-national titles
Do me a favor and take me out of this "WE". If this is the standard then you have been, and will continue to be, absolutely miserable for the VAST majority of basketball seasons.

"Lots of posts" meaning three, all authored by known haters/trolls/downright miserable excuses for fans, all getting roundly shot down in the court of public opinion. Not the best evidence backing ya there.

Nice try, but that isn't even close to true. But if it makes you feel better, ignore what you read.

Look around you Chump. Lots and lots of threads and posts along the same line as mine. I frankly couldn't possibly care if you agree with me or not.
OH NO! He doesn't care! OH GOD!

There aren't lots of threads. There aren't lots of posts. It's only a handful of idiots.

I'm sorry guys, but I completley agree with OP. I know the excuses are starting to come out fast and heavy that "well most schools would love to have our success going to the NCAA tourney and losing big games" "most schools would love to have all these draft picks even though they don't win championships" etc..but I've got news for some of you..this isn't "most" schools..this is Alabama football..this is the New York Yankees..this is Kentucky basketball. This year's loss in the final 4 was the worst loss in the history of the program and I'll stand behind that fact and nothing you can argue will change that fact in my mind.

I'm sorry, but some of us have forgotten who we are. In this society where excellence, dominance and high expectations are now being forced to take a back seat to those who want everyone to be equal, want everyone to get a trophy and be told they're great, and for fans of great teams to be happy with being "good" but not great, here is the bottom line:

-final four appearances
-38-1 seasons

-national titles

WTF are you even babbling about?

I mean congratulations on being miserable every year except maybe a handful in your lifetime. Sounds like you've picked one hell of a hobby. Put your false bravado away and appreciate the season these guys just had, because we have three titles since the only team with more than us won one.

Cry about it all you want, but no one wins the title every year, and losing never hurts any less just because the coach doesn't talk about the draft. Rupp won 4 in 4 decades and it was infinitely easier to do back then. Cal's getting one every six, and has been knocking on the door four other times. That's because he recruits and is one hell of a coach.

If you're just looking at someone to be mad at because your feelings are hurt that we lost, take it somewhere else. You can say it over and over and get eight random strangers to agree with you, but it isn't any less stupid or wrong, and all your whining and exaggeration (50 YEARS FROM NOW THEY'LL STILL BE LAUGHING!!) won't give us a re-do.

Actually, since the fans and their opinions are the most important aspect of this program, it's pretty pathetic of you guys not to do your part in helping us win. We were all on board but you guys were off being miserable somewhere. That shot clock violation probably gets called if you guys had yelled with us from your couch. Thanks for nothing.

This fanbase has some dense members.

This isn't the 90s.
This happens yearly.
Give me this method over "coaching up" "gritty diamonds in the rough" every day.

-final four appearances
-38-1 seasons

-national titles
So we've been successful by your standards for celebration 8 times in 112 tries.

What a shitty program.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

I do celebrate Final Fours. (BTW, UK hangs final four banners...)

I do enjoy UK players in NBA. In fact those are my teams i like to watch. Especially now with Cousin and Davis taking over the league, makes me very happy to be UK fan.

I do love the 38-0 record, and even 38-1 record.

Also draft day being the most important day for Coach Cal is exactly the recipe to achieving national title.

I mean...look at Coach K. He got best point guard in class, best small forward (top 2) in class, and best center in class.

That sounds eerily familiar to someone else's national title recently....OH i know it was 2012 team UK team.

I hope Coach Cal will trumpet our success in the draft again. I want top SF in the class, top SG in the class, to go along with our other talented player. That means, we can hang another banner.

Gonzo once again being an arrogant butt. Cal doesn't win 1 in 6, he has won 1 so far. He may never win another. With the talent he is able to bring in, I don't find the results acceptable. If you don't like it, tough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT