ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

Question: I may head to Lexington Tuesday or Wednesday. Where is the best place to buy craft beer with best variety of canned singles or six packs brewed in Kentucky?

Reason: nerd stuff. Plan on storing beer until Football Cats play. I'd love drinking a different Kentucky beer every Saturday. Thanks in advance.

Visited Beer Trappe roughly 6 years ago. May swing by there and West Sixth. Might also drop by Blue Stallion and AllTech. Thanks.
Mirror Twin has really good hazy IPAs (good pizza, too). Not far from Trappe or W6. Country Boy is in between Mirror T and Blue Stallion. I am not a big AllTech fan, BUT they train really good brewmasters. They just don’t let them cut loose.

Mirror Twin has really good hazy IPAs (good pizza, too). Not far from Trappe or W6. Country Boy is in between Mirror T and Blue Stallion. I am not a big AllTech fan, BUT they train really good brewmasters. They just don’t let them cut loose.
Mirror Twin offers canned according to the website. Definitely in play. Visited summer 2018. Good suds. Thanks.

I love Mirror twin . I'd hit it

BTW if you ever pass thru Chilicothe Oh on RT 23 / Rt 50 ( ??) Old Canal Smokehouse has great food and a TREMENMDOUS beer list -- draft and cans .

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Hit up Mirror Twin, Blue Stallion and West Sixth. Totally forgot about Country Boy's. Thanks @Caveman Catfan . Today's haul.

291793492_10226490068778571_4719924742519255721_n.jpg

New Belgium brews Voodoo Ranger and Fat Tire. Like them both.

Sam's (Boston Beer) has some good beers too especially after buying Dogfish Head.

Speaking of SAM, that stock might have bottomed finally.
Sam Adams seems to be going downhill.
They don't have near the presence in stores that they used to.
Don't understand the whole "wicked" marketing
Sams 76 was fine the way it was. Don't understand the renaming.

About to play golf with a couple of Cali Creamin’ Vanilla cream Ale’s on ice in my Calloway foldable cooler that I put in my bag. Tasty!

Sam Adams seems to be going downhill.
They don't have near the presence in stores that they used to.
Don't understand the whole "wicked" marketing
Sams 76 was fine the way it was. Don't understand the renaming.
I've only tried Dogfish Head a few times since they were bought and I usually only buy Sams Oktoberfest. Nothing's changed the last time I tried. I would agree about the shelf space in a place like Kroger unless you go to their liquor stores. Marketing is usually geared to separate brands. Seems that has continued. I didn't care much for 76 as I recall when I visited the tap room a couple years ago.

Country Boy’s Super Premium Lager is infinitely better than any light beer you calorie watchers have tried. Work it in.
468964.jpg
In the summer weather, I used to like drinking Oscar Blues Pinner IPA while working in the yard or at tailgates. I cannot find that beer this year. All-day from founders is good, but I prefer Pinner.

Sams Oktoberfest is already out.

Switch isn't bad at all but one of the lighter IPA's I've tried at 6%. Probably rather have a Tropic Flare honesty. Braxton had another free concert in front of the brewery back in June and had alcohol booths everywhere. Bircus opened up a small brewery right across the street which is wild to me but they let us walk out in a go cup so they rock afaic!

I have a buddy that lives in Austin and one that travels to Austin peridocally. I introduced them and asked to make sure I was sent any new beers that were good. He knows how much I like Live Oak Hefeweizen so he sent me some Naked Nun to try. I swear I like it better. Perfect carbonation and citrusy taste. Just had one with some wings and it hit the spot.
Bad news. Adelbert's closing. Tearing down building to make room for more apartments. Bah!

I'm drinking as many different pumpkin beers that I can find. I love me some pumpkin beer. I wish it was available year round. So far O'Fallon has the best one I've tried. Sycamore and Southern tier offer good ones as well. Does anybody know of any I need to try?

I'm drinking as many different pumpkin beers that I can find. I love me some pumpkin beer. I wish it was available year round. So far O'Fallon has the best one I've tried. Sycamore and Southern tier offer good ones as well. Does anybody know of any I need to try?
Pumking by Southern Tier is great, if you can find it. Harpoon Imperial Pumpkin (10.5% ABV) kicks butt. Fat Jack double pumpkin by Samuel Adams is another butt kicker.

Reactions: KARLITO12
Not of fan of the pumpkin beers. Love a lot of things by Southern Tier, but not that. Schlafly has a sweet pumpkin beer. Tastes good for a couple of sips, but too sweet to drink the whole beer.

Had Island Coastal Lager while at Seabrook Island this fall, best craft lager I have had in a long while. FWIW you can invest via crowd funding in the company, claim they are the fastest growing craft brewery in the Southeast.

Island Coastal Lager

Headed to Indianapolis for a few days. I've never been there. Does anyone know the best breweries to hit up while I'm there?

Headed to Indianapolis for a few days. I've never been there. Does anyone know the best breweries to hit up while I'm there?
Three Floyd’s is about 2:41 north, if you have that kind of free time. Upland is nearby (I have only had a couple of their beers and was not blown away). Black Acre and Deviate seem to get good reviews. I have had Metazoa and Sun King and thought they were okay.

I’ve never been a big fan of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel beers in the past but am changing my opinion. Went to Malone’s and noticed the absence of a good porter on the list. Following dinner I ordered a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Strong American Ale because I wasn’t familiar with it. It was fantastic. High abv, fruity and smooth. It was like a dessert by itself. Weird thing is, I’m not finding anything about it on beer advocate, etc. If anyone is familiar with it let me know because I’d really like to have some at home.

I’ve never been a big fan of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel beers in the past but am changing my opinion. Went to Malone’s and noticed the absence of a good porter on the list. Following dinner I ordered a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Strong American Ale because I wasn’t familiar with it. It was fantastic. High abv, fruity and smooth. It was like a dessert by itself. Weird thing is, I’m not finding anything about it on beer advocate, etc. If anyone is familiar with it let me know because I’d really like to have some at home.
Lexington Brewing and Distilling (Alltech) brews some good stuff. I'm not sure why they are not receiving better ratings on Beer Advocate. Tried many of their Bourbon Barrel series over the years. Peach Barrel and Honey Barrel are also decent. Drank Pumpkin Barrel draft back in 2014 at Whole Foods-Domain. Really good.

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
I had a “Not your father’s root beer” with dinner tonight and loved it.

The only problem is that it goes down too easy and at 5.9% alcohol, one with dinner is plenty. I guess that's more of a good thing than a problem.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT