ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

BlueRaider22

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Couldnt find the other thread.

Recently had Duvel Belgian Gold. Not bad. Didn't have the punch of flavor I was expecting but it was good for a lighter beer. 95 on BA

Ommegang 3-Philsophers is really good. It's almost a wine/beer blend. Certainly can't drink much of it but the flavor is really good. The cherry flavor isn't overpowering. 92 on BA.

Finally my favorite of the 3 is Ayinger Hefeweizen. Wonderful German Hefe. 92 on BA. I think I'm going to work my way through Ayinger's offerings. They've got a doppelbock which has won medals...can't wait to try that.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Couldnt find the other thread.

Recently had Duvel Belgian Gold. Not bad. Didn't have the punch of flavor I was expecting but it was good for a lighter beer. 95 on BA

Ommegang 3-Philsophers is really good. It's almost a wine/beer blend. Certainly can't drink much of it but the flavor is really good. The cherry flavor isn't overpowering. 92 on BA.

Finally my favorite of the 3 is Ayinger Hefeweizen. Wonderful German Hefe. 92 on BA. I think I'm going to work my way through Ayinger's offerings. They've got a doppelbock which has won medals...can't wait to try that.

Ayingers is the Shit

Have you had the Celebrator Doppelbock? It supposedly won all kinds of awards and it's rated something like a 98 on BA and 100 on bros.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Still waiting to try Alchemist's Heady Topper so I can be pissed there was ever such a fuss over a beer.

Apparently it's going for $15/can in some places. I'd punch them in the dick if I wasn't marveling at what marketing geniuses they are.

Scoring 100 and 95 on the BA and bro.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Brauerei Aying produces some gorgeous beer. No, have not yet sampled Celebrator Doppelbock, but it's on my list.

I'm hopefully taking a trip next summer to Boston partly to grab some Heady Topper in Vermont. I'd planned a visit this year, but life got in the way.

Had this last weekend for the first time. Well deserving of it's 92 rating on BA. At 10% you can't taste any alcohol.
th

I didn't keep up with the other thread routinely so this may have already been covered, but anyone else a fan of session IPAs?

I like being able to get good flavor out of a lower ABV beer for days at the lake and even during football games when I putting them back at a higher pace.

So far my favorite is from Orpheus out of ATL and even the Sam Adams Rebel Rider is pretty good. I was really disappointed in the session from Ballast Point though. I've had a few others on draft that were good, but haven't seen a lot of those available locally in can/bottle.

Had this last weekend for the first time. Well deserving of it's 92 rating on BA. At 10% you can't taste any alcohol.
th

That's wild. I just had it last week and all I could taste was the alcohol. hahaha Maybe it was the batch. I dunno

Moved near the New Albanian Brewing Company in New Albany, IN and I have been killing growlers of their Helles this summer. Best Helles I have ever had and it's 6%.

I think Goose Island has taken advantage of the mass distro route in order to focus more energy on the specially beers such as Bourbon County...will be interesting to see Laugintas' approach.

Tried a New Belgian Abbey Ale last week. Hitting my second sixer in a row tonight. Amazing beer, kind of a cross between a nice spicy heifeweizen and a nice Marzen. You get the ginger, banana, Brown sugar, malt, and slight hop taste. Real nice head out of the bottle as well. Great stuff!!! 99 on BA.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
BFM%20ASBC%202013%20Magnum.jpg

This stuff right here. So GD MF'n good. Easily one of the best beers I've ever had. Also, Cincy/Lexington peeps need to check out Ojos Negros; a blackberry sour ale from Rivertown Brewery. Not quite as good as Abbaye, but it is TART which I really like

Transy, my visit back to Lex is rescheduled for April, 2016. I forgot to include you in the message to Bert, Jerry and Don, but will certainly link up with ya next spring.

By the way, now drinking an Alltech Pumpkin Barrel Ale.

Reactions: TransyCat09
Here's another bit of news I just now shamelessly heisted from Facebook: Oskar Blues will open a brewery in Austin. If true, then they join Atwater of Detroit, from out of town. Should give us close to 20 breweries in the area, if not more. Unbelievable. OB brews great suds. Man, we'll soon host another brewery, 4th Tap, within 3 miles of my place here.

Moved near the New Albanian Brewing Company in New Albany, IN and I have been killing growlers of their Helles this summer. Best Helles I have ever had and it's 6%.

They recently lost their brewmaster - he went back to BBC - and the founder of the place moved on as well, so I wonder about them going forward. His family has plans to keep it going, but there are mixed messages on their plans. They do good beer, and have one hell of a guest tap list. You'll be glad you live close when the annual Gravity Head event comes around next year - rotating taps of high ABV beers from all across the country for a couple of weeks. Wee Heavies, Imperial everythings, barleywines, etc.

Assuming you are near the Public House, Donum Dei is another one close to there (in the shopping center behind the Lee's chicken place) that has decent beer. Nothing spectacular, but their IPA is good and they do a pretty solid Belgian and Saison for a small joint. The owner/brewer Rick is a fun dude to talk beer with too. Nice people.

Also very curious about Floyd County Brewing over there. Haven't heard much so far, since they just opened, but the smattering of reviews have been positive.

Ayinger Fest Marzen is the best German Oktoberfest on the market, IMO.

I love their Dunkle Weiss as well. I used to drink the Celebrator back in the day, it's quality, but I've kind of moved away from bock beers in the last few years.

I've tried every beer ever made. My favorite is the one that gets you drunk. I'd recommend trying that one.
Amazing...no matter which thread in which you post you're always a moron...go make out with Heismann in the wrestling thread. You two deserve each other....

Reactions: weused2luvhim2
I'm currently working on the last bottle of a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale 4-pack. Really must check it in on Untappd. Sampled last year on November 8th at a tailgate party sponsored by Brown Distributing outside a Horns football game. Out of the 24+ beers I sampled that day, this was the best.

Finally got around to reading the whole thread. I've had 7 of these liquid goddesses mentioned. Loved em all.

Downing a 6er of pee-ay's finest Yuengling tonight. Made by DC Yuengling @ Sons family. Wasn't my first choice, but I could get two 25 oz cans for $3.50 at the gas station on the way home. Pretty good deal.

* I actually enjoy reading this thread and taking notes, I'm sure you fellers know I'm just yanking your chain.
Two 25 oz Yuengling's for $3.50 is a great deal, IMO.

Just bought this and I'm anxious to try it. Anyone here had this? Where's Austin to make a ruling on this one?

3420765304_3a7819957c.jpg

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/112/410/
I've not yet sampled this particular style by North Coast. On my list, for sure. How was it? Enjoy!

By the way, are you checking in on Untappd? If not, then please look me up at beerhunter101. Many of us Cat fans from the Paddock, including Willy, Transy and LadyCat, check our beers in at the site or via the app.

Reactions: KingOfBBN
I've not yet sampled this particular style by North Coast. On my list, for sure. How was it? Enjoy!

By the way, are you checking in on Untappd? If not, then please look me up at beerhunter101. Many of us Cat fans from the Paddock, including Willy, Transy and LadyCat, check our beers in at the site or via the app.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will do.

Haven't tried it yet. I got it for tonight. The wife and I are having some friends over for beer and pizza and always try to find a new beer to try every time they come over. He's originally from German so he loves some beer.

I tried Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest and really liked it. I know that's more of a "mainstream beer" but it was still good. Wife didn't care too much for it though.

Sierra-Nevada-Oktoberfest-960x960.png

Yuengling
Miller lite
Coors lite

Sloppy drunk night
Milwaukee best blue just like in high school. Cheap and goes down easy similar to the way I like my women

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT